E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-09-2011, 02:24 PM   #101
Darkside213

My Ride: 04 TSX daily, 01 M3
Send a message via AIM to Darkside213
I'm reading the Peloponnesian war, immortal last words and the main enemy (book about CIA). Are y'all reading traditional books or on kindle?

Darkside213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 02:30 PM   #102
'busa

My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
it's good. Some stuff I knew, others I didn't. There's a lot of different topics in it. I can lend it to you if you'd like. As long as my friend is done reading it.
I'm thinking I could order it from Amazon for what it would cost us to ship it back and forth...
Old 06-09-2011, 03:12 PM   #103
dreamdrivedrift

My Ride: 99 M3 & 95 325i
Send a message via AIM to dreamdrivedrift
Infinite Jest

The Driver (light reading)

And I just finished "Outliers". It's so nice to have free time to read again
Old 06-09-2011, 03:50 PM   #104
'busa

I have "The Tipping Point". Only read the beginning so far. Anyone read it? How does it compare to "Outliers"?
Old 06-09-2011, 03:54 PM   #105
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I'm thinking I could order it from Amazon for what it would cost us to ship it back and forth...
true
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 03:54 PM   #106
'busa

I appreciate the gesture, though.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:06 PM   #107
Goughie

My Ride: 330d Sport Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcha View Post
Just ordered 4 hour work week. Heard good things.
Gotta be honest, I was dissapointed with this. I can't really put my finger on it, it just seemed well, a bit lightweight.

Can reccommend 7 habits, that's great. I've just bought "Surely you're joking Mr. Feynman!" which is an unconventional autobiography of Richard Feynman, the late Nbel prize winning physicist. I've never heard such universal praise for a book so I had to pick it up.

Re Kindle - is anyone else slightly annoyed at some of the shocking ports to it? So much so that I look for "converted for Kindle format" or similar before I buy now.

"The protection of views purely on religious grounds cannot be justified. It is not only an irrational idea, but it is also divisive, capricious and arbitrary" - Lord Justice Laws, UK 29/04/2010
Goughie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:28 PM   #108
Bartacus

My Ride: 2002 320i Sedan
Currently reading the George R.R. Martin books that the HBO show "Game of Thrones" is based on. GREAT books, and I don't read fantasy stuff AT ALL. HIGHLY recommended!
Bartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:43 PM   #109
CMT247

My Ride: 07 VW GTI
Just finished a few...

Unbroken: story of Louis in the 1930's who everyone is convinced will be the first 4-minute-miler. He ends up in WWII as a bombadier. His bomber crashes and he and his best friend/pilot are afloat in the Pacific for 47 days. They end up floating some 2k miles into Japanese-occupied islands and are captured and interned for over 2 years... torture, starvation, labor camps... you name it, they went through it... simply an amazing story of survival.

The Paris Wife: Hemingway's first marriage... amazing look at his character and early life as he was trying to make it as a writer.

Right now I am reading The Pale King, by the late David Wallace... pretty interesting so far.
CMT247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:21 PM   #110
'busa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goughie View Post
Gotta be honest, I was dissapointed with this. I can't really put my finger on it, it just seemed well, a bit lightweight.

Can reccommend 7 habits, that's great. I've just bought "Surely you're joking Mr. Feynman!" which is an unconventional autobiography of Richard Feynman, the late Nbel prize winning physicist. I've never heard such universal praise for a book so I had to pick it up.

Re Kindle - is anyone else slightly annoyed at some of the shocking ports to it? So much so that I look for "converted for Kindle format" or similar before I buy now.
More on Feynman. I still have to read something of his, but this sounds interesting:
The ‘Dramatic Picture’ of Richard Feynman
Old 07-14-2011, 02:35 PM   #111
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Over the honeymoon I read Rant by Chuck Palahniuk, Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (about the 8th time I've read it) and Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut (had been on my list for a long time).

Now that I'm home.....it's back to the 4th module CFP books

So it goes....

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:37 PM   #112
'busa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneaky View Post
Less then Zero
American Psycho
The rules of attraction

All by Brett Easton Ellis
Have you seen the movie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
Over the honeymoon I read Rant by Chuck Palahniuk, Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (about the 8th time I've read it) and Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut (had been on my list for a long time).

Now that I'm home.....it's back to the 4th module CFP books

So it goes....
You read books on your honeymoon?

Last edited by 'busa; 07-21-2011 at 04:42 PM.
'busa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:40 PM   #113
'busa

Quote:
UPDATE:

Recently read:

Portnoy's Complain by Philip Roth - Dirty ass book. Loved it! A new favorite.
The Fighter's Mind by Sam Sheridan - About fighters and other athletes and their mental state. Good book.
The Lazarus Project by Aleksandar Hemon - One of my favorite books ever.
Letters to a Young Contrarian by Christopher Hitchens - Relatively light read.
Conversations with Stalin by Milovan Djilas - Interesting history by a man who met Stalin repeatedly and in doing so grew more disenchanted
Girl With The Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larssen
The Trial of Henry Kissinger by Christopher Hitchens - Very interesting.
Love and Obstacles by Aleksandar Hemon - Short stories

Now reading The Moviegoer by Walker Percy.
Finally finished The Moviegoer by Walker Percy. It's a slow moving book with a contemplative tone. Set in post WWII New Orleans. Little for me to relate to. Glad it's done.

Also finished The Yugo: The Rise and Fall of the Worst Car in History by Jason Vuic.

Now reading Mindfulness in Plain English by Bhante Henepola Gunaratana
Old 07-21-2011, 06:26 PM   #114
Goughie

A few new ones on the kindle:

Somme Mud - EFF Lynch - An Australian infantryman's first hand account of life in the trenches on the Western Front in WW1. An excellent account, that doesn't shirk from the dirty, everyday details as well as the experience of battle. The WW1 experience never ceases to humble me.

Aid & Other Dirty Business - Giles Bolton - Not finished it yet, but a good expose on how the aid system really "works" - enlightening.

Shrimp: The Endless Quest for Pink Gold - yes, my sadness regarding all things fishy goes deep into my reading material, too!

Bounce - Matthew Sayed - An ex-Olympic table tennis player explains in facsinating detail that "talent" has very little to do with success - it's all about practice, practice, practice. He doesn't talk about just sport, either. Very interesting and I can really recommend this!

D-Day - Anthony Beevor - perhaps Britain's foremost military historian. Tells tales of total war like no other. His work "Stalingrad" is a seminal piece and winner of loads of awards. Very accessible and brilliantly written.

Wanted to buy Hitchen's "God is not Great" but it's not available on the Kindle - WTF?

"The protection of views purely on religious grounds cannot be justified. It is not only an irrational idea, but it is also divisive, capricious and arbitrary" - Lord Justice Laws, UK 29/04/2010

Last edited by Goughie; 07-21-2011 at 06:28 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:40 PM   #115
HardPark'd TT

My Ride: is parked hard.
Send a message via AIM to HardPark'd TT
Just about done with this. LOVE it so far.

Bagged TT 225Q SOLD - e46 M3 SOLD - W202 SOLD - e46 325i SOLD
HardPark'd TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 06:40 PM   #116
5280 M3

My Ride: 2002 M3
The Angel Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon.

Just finished The Sparrow, which was pretty captivating.

Finished City of Thieves by David Benioff before that. This was one of the best books I've read in a long time.

I would be remiss to leave my own book out, which I have read far too many times, but which is getting positive reviews so far. Called Enemy in Blue, it is just $4.99 on Kindle. Just released a few weeks ago. Link to it here: http://www.amazon.com/Enemy-Blue-Der...1291560&sr=8-1

Author of Enemy in Blue, a cop thriller available here http://www.amazon.com/Enemy-Blue-Der...0426877&sr=1-1
5280 M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 06:51 PM   #117
Goughie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardPark'd TT View Post
Just about done with this. LOVE it so far.

Mad isn't it?!

Old 07-21-2011, 07:14 PM   #118
dj XeNo

My Ride: 2005 BMW 325 Ci
"Morals and Dogma" by Albert Pike...really interesting so far
dj XeNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 06:32 AM   #119
Sneaky

My Ride: Fixie
Quote:
Have you seen the movie?
:
Yup,its one of my favs. The book makes a bit more sense though.

Sig by So Lowww
Pictures I take
OVOxo till we overdose
Sneaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 06:59 AM   #120
Mr.Jack

My Ride: M3
One Minute Millionaire
Multiple Streams of Income
ReWork (super easy read, I read it in about 2 hours. Upon completing I bought it and still refer back to it frequently)
Mr.Jack is offline   Reply With Quote