E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 07-06-2010, 01:15 PM   #21
WBVenom

My Ride: Car 54
I will draw the part up in detailed CAD-style soon. I can't continue making them, so I'll provide the info necessary to have a machine shop do it. The aluminum stock is straight from McMaster. I'll get installed pics up at the same time.
WBVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 01:50 PM   #22
Jim Murphy

My Ride: 2006 E46 330Ci ZHP
Mizu has been sent these photos but can't make the change for awhile. So, Mishimoto says that they will have their fixed non-M Radiator out in about 4 weeks so I have been put on the waiting list for the next fixed radiator.

Let's hope.

Jim
Jim Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 02:55 PM   #23
WBVenom

Awesome! Do let us know what happens. If their radiator is any good, there's the solution! ECSTuning says they are working on a non-M aluminum radiator with a vendor. They are probably referring to Mishimoto and this new radiator.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:17 PM   #24
Iceman00
I screwed up and can't post

My Ride: E90 6MT
Sorry PIE330, buy a damn SPAL fan and call it a day. I did.
Iceman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 06:45 PM   #25
Mr Paddle.Shift
PhD Mech. Eng.

My Ride: B3 epsilon
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
need an aftermarket fan as well....unless someone figures out how to remount the OEM plastick housing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman00 View Post
Sorry PIE330, buy a damn SPAL fan and call it a day. I did.
Unless I am mistaken, Adam is probably referring to the OEM fan shroud. SPAL fans are nice upgrades but what's preventing me from upgrading mine (track-duty E46), is the incompatibility of the OEM shroud with a SPAL fan. By installing the shroud, the puller fan is actually 'sucking' a larger area of the radiator. May seem somewhat trivial to most pple but when you start comparing the static pressure differences/coolant entry+exit temps, you'd be surprised what the shroud can contribute.

Technik Engineering ASA Stage 1.
Supercharged E46 M54B25.
2011 NASA TTC So Cal Champion!
Track blog.
Technik Engineering oil cap o-ring maintenance kit available.
Mr Paddle.Shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 07:17 PM   #26
Iceman00
I screwed up and can't post

My Ride: E90 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Paddle.Shift View Post
Unless I am mistaken, Adam is probably referring to the OEM fan shroud. SPAL fans are nice upgrades but what's preventing me from upgrading mine (track-duty E46), is the incompatibility of the OEM shroud with a SPAL fan. By installing the shroud, the puller fan is actually 'sucking' a larger area of the radiator. May seem somewhat trivial to most pple but when you start comparing the static pressure differences/coolant entry+exit temps, you'd be surprised what the shroud can contribute.
Make your own shroud.
Iceman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 05:56 AM   #27
IfUDntLuvMeH8Me

My Ride: is beautiful
It's almost been 4 weeks. Any updates?

(|OO\ (||||)(||||) /OO|)
Current mods: 18x8.5 CSLs | BFP CF CAI | Projector corners | eBay Headers | Smoked LED tails & markers | BSW Stage 1 Speaker kit w/ Sub | Conforti Shark Injector | Borla exhaust
Awaiting installation: H&R Cup Kit
IfUDntLuvMeH8Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:40 AM   #28
BimmerDude18

My Ride: 1998 528i
I used a generic electric fan on my car in the factory mechanical fan shroud. Used flashing and pop rivets to tie it together, then great stuff foam to seal it completely and make it more solid. Works like a charm, just need to install my controller so the fan isn't always on.

1998 528i 5-speed Work in progress
1988 Toyota Pickup (4WD 5-speed) daily
2007 San Marino Blue 350z 6-speed sold
1996 328i 5-speed sold

www.e46nonM.com - www.precision-sport.com - www.flyingwindowtinters.com - www.techniquetuning.com
BimmerDude18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 08:24 PM   #29
SwapMag1c

My Ride: 2004 Z4 M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by WBVenom View Post
I will draw the part up in detailed CAD-style soon. I can't continue making them, so I'll provide the info necessary to have a machine shop do it. The aluminum stock is straight from McMaster. I'll get installed pics up at the same time.
any word on the CAD drawing?
SwapMag1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 08:27 PM   #30
SwapMag1c

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejeansonfire View Post
If you've ever tried to mount an e46 m3 radiator to an m54 car, this would be very understandable.
It very nearly fits. But it doesn't. I tried this a few months back. To make it work, the e46 m3 expansion tank must be used, furthermore, the electric fan fan does not like it very much and the radiator's deeper profile makes the fit very difficult, in practical terms, it's not feasible.
where did you place the M3 expansion? where do other ppl reloacate and how?
Old 08-01-2010, 10:32 PM   #31
WBVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwapMag1c View Post
any word on the CAD drawing?
There have been delays, but it will come.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:58 PM   #32
bluejeansonfire
ninja editor

My Ride: shaken, not stirred
Send a message via AIM to bluejeansonfire
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwapMag1c View Post
where did you place the M3 expansion? where do other ppl reloacate and how?
i would recommend putting it up against the frontside of the passenger strut tower as that is stock. If there's a secondary air pump in the way, it should be removed. However, I do not know how you'd cleanly mount the stock electric fan. There's also the issue of hose fittings.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:28 AM   #33
SwapMag1c

this is going on a Z4. the NON-M versions share the same radiator and i was curious to placement of the expansion tank. i have an OBX radiator and the inlets require slip-on hoses with clamps, they will not allow the expansion tank to mate to the hose correctly.... been lookin at the e36 ppl and they have used custom expansion tanks..
Old 10-31-2010, 04:06 PM   #34
WBVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
Any pics installed?
Long overdue: installed pics as requested. Not sure why you really need them, but here they are:

The tab at the top-center of the fan shroud would not hold onto the thicker flange of the OBX radiator, so it snapped off when tightening down the screws on the shroud's top two corners.

Old 10-31-2010, 06:36 PM   #35
bluejeansonfire
ninja editor

My Ride: shaken, not stirred
Send a message via AIM to bluejeansonfire
I've come to a new conclusion: keep the stock radiator.
So if your radiator blows up, buy another one.
I thought, for a long time that my radiator was a weak point in my setup, that it would somehow fail me or induce overheating due to a lack of cooling capacity. My previous assertion was wrong. Even if it's prone to blow up, observing a lot of issues on e46nonMs, the radiator is one of the most solid parts of the plastic cooling system of the e46nonM. I've gone through 3 water bottles. One due to my own error, another due to a mechanic's error. None out of fault of their own. I've replaced the plastic cap once, the old one had a piece of plastic chip off the bottom. And I've replaced one of the radiator hoses, the oring expanded and popped out. I've gone through three thermostats: the first got stuck closed, the second I chipped accidentally. Yet, the one part that has not let me down is the radiator. It's almost 10 years old, 120k miles worth of abuse. It has never been replaced.
On cars that I have seen with cooling system problems, either the radiator survived the trauma or failed due to trauma caused by the failure of another part. Like: fan stops working, engine overheats, radiator explodes. I currently cool my turbo with coolant, still my temps, in 'c as read by the test function #7, is around 89-98' while being beat in the florida heat! This is very on target.

Last edited by bluejeansonfire; 11-01-2010 at 07:22 AM.
bluejeansonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 11:27 PM   #36
faelar
Big Pimpin'

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lutzperformance View Post
Only other one I can think of on the top of my head is the PWR
Zionsville makes quality items.. I have one of their M3 models. Superb quality.

http://www.zionsvilleautosport.com/s...code/E46AR.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saad@SaadRacing View Post
Chad's car is being taken care of and I can tell you when it comes back he and his car will be your worst f***ing nightmare.
faelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 02:05 AM   #37
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejeansonfire View Post
I've come to a new conclusion: keep the stock radiator.
So if your radiator blows up, buy another one.
I thought, for a long time that my radiator was a weak point in my setup, that it would somehow fail me or induce overheating due to a lack of cooling capacity. My previous assertion was wrong. Even if it's prone to blow up, observing a lot of issues on e46nonMs, the radiator is one of the most solid parts of the plastic cooling system of the e46nonM. I've gone through 3 water bottles. One due to my own error, another due to a mechanic's error. None out of fault of their own. I've replaced the plastic cap once, the old one had a piece of plastic chip off the bottom. And I've replaced one of the radiator hoses, the oring expanded and popped out. I've gone through three thermostats: the first got stuck closed, the second I chipped accidentally.
On cars that I have seen with cooling system problems, either the radiator survived the trauma or failed due to trauma caused by the failure of another part. I currently cool my turbo with coolant, still my temps, in 'c as read by the test function #7, is around 89-98' while being beat in the florida heat! This is very on target.
I think I have to agree. The more my "spend money" side wants to waste $1500 on a Zionsville Radiator...my "common sense" side kicks me in the ass and reminds me that my OEM radiator is still working well with almost 100k miles and 7 years of service. I've got the Stewart EMP pump, changed my expansion tank and thermostat at 60k, and flushed my coolant every year with a 50/50 mix of BMW coolant and distilled water.

Lastly, it has seen temps from 115 degrees to -20 degrees, snow, rain, monsoons, tropical storms, and ample track trime.

So my common sense side wins...I'll stick with the OEM radiator.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 08:51 AM   #38
SkiB07

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
New Mizu Non-M3 Radiator

Hey guys not that I disagree with the last comments about the OEM radiators lasting a while (mine has 81k) BUT like all things with BMWs it's about preventive maintenance. I'm sure most of us have replaced the water pump/thermostat/hoses long before they had the opportunity to fail thus eliminating the possibility of expensive engine repairs. So I'm sure we all heard about OEM radiators having issues as they near the 100k mark. BTW I've just noticed that Mizu is now showing a non-M3 aluminum radiator on their website (http://mymizu.com/bmwe46alrama.html) has anyone already installed it in their vehicle?
SkiB07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:21 AM   #39
Jim Murphy

My Ride: 2006 E46 330Ci ZHP
I have just sent Mizu an inquiry about this particular radiator asking if it is the corrected version and, if so, is it a direct installment re-using the factory shroud, etc. with no modifications required.
I await their response.

Jim
Jim Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:45 AM   #40
MaverickM3

My Ride: gets badge
To the guys that own the zionsville radiator on non-M. how do you like it? Is there a noticeable difference in temps?