E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-20-2014, 09:27 PM   #1
mdrobnak

My Ride: 04 330i SMG TT STG1
330i SSG Technique Tuning Stage 1+ Redux

Some time has passed, tax refunds have been cashed, and a plan is forming for the future.

The ProEFI has not been sold yet, but while it will be nice to get some cash back from that, I'm moving on. The unit's CAN integration was not up to the level that it needs to be if you have anything other then a full manual gearbox.

The replacement for it ships tomorrow. My car is also being brought to Maximum PSI tomorrow. Maximum PSI will be installing:
  • Southbend Clutch
  • Stock dual-mass flywheel
  • New brake pads and likely rotors

A few weeks from now I will be installing upgraded injectors in my car, and wiring up the new unit. I followed another user's lead here, PEI330CI, and purchased a MoTeC M150 ECU.

It's not technical specs, or the MoTeC name which drove me in this direction.

On paper, it looks like the next logical step in terms of power after the ProEFI is the AEM Infinity. However, they did not have a solution for SMG users the last time I talked to them. The software also takes a little getting used to.

Two things (for me) really drive home the reason to use the M150:
  • M1 Tune
  • M1 Build

M1 Tune has a lot going on, but is logically laid out, quick to get up to speed on, and has functions which someone doing calibrations will find immensely helpful. Ie, scaling axes. On the ProEFI, if you got your scaling wrong:
  1. If you're online, save the current calibration
  2. Close the program, re-open in offline mode
  3. Find the axes which control the table you are working on
  4. Update axes
  5. Copy data from ProEFI to excel
  6. Scale data
  7. Paste Data
  8. Save data as it crashes the software
  9. Re-open, paste more data
  10. Create flash file
  11. Turn off car
  12. Flash
  13. Restart car

On the M1:
  1. Stop Engine
  2. Edit axes
  3. Check box that says rescale on close
  4. Close the dialog box
  5. Reboot ECU
  6. Hit save
  7. Restart car

That's just scratching the surface. The other extremely powerful part is with M1 Build, which allows custom strategies to be created, as well as integration with all of the other CAN items in the car. There's a lot of work to be done yet, but I have something to start with thanks to Thaniel over on bimmerforums and lots of time doing my own tests to validate what he has written, and start working out the transmission values. This will be very important to ensure a smoothly driving car, which was simply not possible with the ProEFI. Jason was not interested in implementing E46 CAN torque reduction requests, which there was some code already for, and I could not get the clutch slip method to work. That could be my own inability to understand how it worked, but I have my doubts.

So, short term is upgrading the clutch for more power, choosing which injectors to use, installing those, and getting started on the integration with the M1.

Exciting times ahead.

For more information on Thaniel's work, see: E46 Can Bus Project

2004 330i with Technique Tuning Stage 1 Kit, South Bend Stage 3 Clutch, Walbro 400 Fuel Pump, Aeromotive FPR, Modified Return Lines, E36 Fuel Filter, Ethanol Content Sensor, 550i Clutch Actuator.
93 Octane - 8.5 PSI : 309RWHP on a Superflow / 3XXRWHP on a DynoJet
E85 - ? PSI : ???RWHP on a DynoJet
First SSG MoTeC M150 Powered 330
mdrobnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-23-2014, 02:14 PM   #2
mdrobnak

It's here!

M150 Box 1 by mattdrobnak, on Flickr

Packaged well...

M150 Box 2 by mattdrobnak, on Flickr

M150, Stickers, USB Stick

M150 Boxed by mattdrobnak, on Flickr

Unit is physically small

M150 Boxed 2 by mattdrobnak, on Flickr

The entire order - M150, LTC, LSU4.9 O2 Sensor, Connector Kit

M150 Order by mattdrobnak, on Flickr

Unboxed...

Motec M150 Items by mattdrobnak, on Flickr

Lots of Pins..

Motec M150 Pins by mattdrobnak, on Flickr

I've got my setup for M1 Build working (seemingly), so there will be lots of work done on that side and re-building my temporary wiring harness before I get it installed.

Fuel injectors (was going to do ID1000s, but Max PSI has not used them on the E46 yet, only the E36, so re-considering) will be installed in a few weeks, then I hope to have some progress on things by then.

More to come.

2004 330i with Technique Tuning Stage 1 Kit, South Bend Stage 3 Clutch, Walbro 400 Fuel Pump, Aeromotive FPR, Modified Return Lines, E36 Fuel Filter, Ethanol Content Sensor, 550i Clutch Actuator.
Old 05-24-2014, 01:30 AM   #3
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
The pictures don't do it justice, you have to hold the M150 in your hand to appreciate just how small (And light) it is!

Do you have access to a crimper for those pins?
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 03:36 PM   #4
mdrobnak

This is the crimp tool I have:

http://www.delcity.net/store/Open-Ba...-Tool/p_805503

Current progress:

BMW E46 CAN Bus:
* Coolant Temp
* Oil Temp
* Throttle Position
* Transmission Gear
* Wheel Speeds

Coolant Temperature, Oil Temperature, Throttle Position, and current gear selected are all integrated in to the existing places where they are expected.

Wheel speeds are a little more tricky as it's not done in the same manner the other items are. I have the data, but not making use of it yet.

Other items worked on are:

Mass Air Flow Meter support - the stock GPR package has support for reading / calibrating a MAF, but does not give you any way to make use of it. Thankfully, the engine load calculation is in the form of air displaced, so it was not too hard to get it plugged in.

E85 - I have some code to make use of a Ethanol Content sensor and ensure that the fueling calculations are correct. Still working on integrating it into all of the places it needs to be.

Good tools are worth the money.

Old 05-28-2014, 06:54 AM   #5
mdrobnak

Gearbox shift events integrated.

Wheel speeds integrated, but lacking some of the 'nice-to-have' data from the MoTeC provided Wheel Speed class of objects. Traction control should work now with the OEM ABS info.

E85 should be good.

Car is still at Maximum PSI. Apparently the last place that worked on it did a terrible job and stripped the threads on 4 of the mounting locations, so it took Maximum PSI some time to fix that. Should be done by end of day today or tomorrow at latest.

I hope to start building the harness this weekend.

Old 05-28-2014, 10:11 AM   #6
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

Very exciting!

I'm also amazed how fast you've made progress with M1 Build, and solved (in theory) the issues you were having before.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:59 PM   #7
bobm3
Senior Eurowerkz Member

My Ride: 2003m3smg
Question adam can you tell me in english what is the m150

what does it do and what do you need in your car to justify having it in your car.i think I know what it is but can you tell me in simple terms what is the advantage of having it in your car...im a little slow on this topic
bob
Old 05-28-2014, 04:11 PM   #8
mdrobnak

There was a bit of a write-up in the last thread.

The short version of it is this:

E85 support - Code to do this for the DME would be extremely expensive, so standalone was the only way.
Better transmission integration (I have the SSG/SMG) then with the ProEFI.
Boost control
Traction control

I want 500 bhp on a stock block on E85, with my SSG transmission. That's never been done, to my knowledge.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:56 AM   #9
Twin_Turbo_S54

My Ride: M3
DELPHI P/N 12085271 this is a good crimping tool.

For DTM Connectors you need the DTM crimping tool.

These two crimpers work.

Moreover, If you will replace thick wires such as thicker than 12 ga you need another crimper. This is only if you work on main wires coming from battery to the fuse box etc.

Add a good wire stripper, Ergo Lite.

Finally, a very sharp cutter, small one, is badly needed. I use Snap On cutter.
Twin_Turbo_S54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 05:35 AM   #10
bobm3
Senior Eurowerkz Member

My Ride: 2003m3smg
can you make 500rhp with your engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrobnak View Post
There was a bit of a write-up in the last thread.

The short version of it is this:

E85 support - Code to do this for the DME would be extremely expensive, so standalone was the only way.
Better transmission integration (I have the SSG/SMG) then with the ProEFI.
Boost control
Traction control

I want 500 bhp on a stock block on E85, with my SSG transmission. That's never been done, to my knowledge.
without being blown.....I guess you really have to work up the internal of the engine..what are you looking for in lbs of torq
bob
Old 05-29-2014, 08:06 AM   #11
mdrobnak

Somewhere around 438 should make it 500 HP at 6000 RPM. And yes, turbo is the way to go.

That number would only be when running on E85, the current figures of around 310 rwhp on a superflow dyno are good for stock block on 93 octane. I'm sure Nick left a little on the table...better to be a little more conservative on timing and not unnecessarily eat so much fuel. I like the style of the current calibration.

It may turn out that only a M130 is necessary, which saves about a grand, but for being one of the first to use it on the E46 platform, I didn't want to take chances.

Old 05-29-2014, 08:10 AM   #12
mdrobnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin_Turbo_S54 View Post
DELPHI P/N 12085271 this is a good crimping tool.

For DTM Connectors you need the DTM crimping tool.

These two crimpers work.

Moreover, If you will replace thick wires such as thicker than 12 ga you need another crimper. This is only if you work on main wires coming from battery to the fuse box etc.

Add a good wire stripper, Ergo Lite.

Finally, a very sharp cutter, small one, is badly needed. I use Snap On cutter.
I plan on fabricating a temporary harness, so I will make do with what I have for now. The final harness will be done at Apex Speed Technology in California. Their work is much better then my ability.

I will need a cable with DTM connectors on it to hook up the LTC unit though. Might have Apex ship me some wiring.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:50 PM   #13
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

Quote:
I will need a cable with DTM connectors on it to hook up the LTC unit though. Might have Apex ship me some wiring.
How quick do you need that?
Old 05-29-2014, 09:55 PM   #14
mdrobnak

Not sure. Need to figure out where best to mount the LTC. I will put together the harness, then have maximum psi install the LTC so I don't leave an unpowered sensor in the exhaust.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:24 PM   #15
mdrobnak

As mentioned in another thread, the M54 path is a lonely path, but at least Adam keeps me company.

It's also an exciting path. It's different.

So, I finally got my car back from Maximum PSI. Two cars which were ahead of me ended up being more complex then anticipated, so that was part of the time bump.

There was a minor issue getting the transmission pulled, and the transmission input shaft RPM sensor wire got caught...and for a while there was no reading after putting it back together. But they got that resolved, and now everything is... awesome? While I'd like to say yes, the truth is...mostly.

The car runs good with new plugs.
The car stops better with new brakes.
I hope we have finally gotten rid of the oil leak - a T fitting near the scavenge pump was leaking slightly.
Brass pivot pin installed in transmission
New flywheel installed
New clutch installed

The interesting piece of all of this is the clutch. It's a southbend stage 3 organic full face clutch. Mike thinks it's kevlar. It's...grabby. So the SSG does this "pulse-width-modulation" thing when starting off to have very smooth engagement...which works fine for the stock clutch, but not so much on this..it's crazy..feels like things are going to come apart lol. But it's ONLY when really light engagement...
Shifts are perfect, and if you give it a little gas on take off, it engages decently. So hopefully it gets a little better, definitely less sleeper then before, but not too bad.

I should be undoing the ProEFI harness this weekend, and start pinning the M150 harness. I hope to have it mounted and have CAN bus data going into it to see if the programming is OK.

After talking it over with Neel at Apex Speed Technology, I'm going to go with my original plan of ID1000 injectors.

Next round of items:
* Walbro 485 pump
* Injectors
* Fuel Pressure Sensor
* Oil pressure Sensor
* Lambda Sensor
* Ethanol Content Sensor (Flex Fuel)

That should be happening in a few weeks.

I'm very excited.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:39 PM   #16
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

The issue is that there is a much narrower range of engagement, and the PID settings for the clutch engagement are making corrections based on much smaller changes occurring. For example, if you are getting 25% lock per 1mm of engagement with the OEM clutch, and the new clutch does 50% per 1mm, the engagement strategy is going to be fighting itself and always out of range until the speed differential between the input shaft and engine RPM is equal. In theory, using the "teach in" function with a GT1 or the new BMW system should correct most of this...but I don't have practical experience with this to know for sure. One thing I suspect that BMW has built into the TCU is short term and long term corrections into the engagement strategy. So you may see it improve over time...but the first thing I would look into is this "teach in" process....

You're going to want to write a control strategy in the M150 for this eventually, aren't you?

Edit: I just realized that the friction plate coefficient of friction goes up exponentially with pressure. So the engagement isn't completely linear. By using a stronger clutch, the range of motion isn't so much the issue, it's this exponential curve...which is probably modeled by BMW for the OEM piece, and then the teach-in function just finds the point at which this curve begins. I don't know that by moving the engagement point around with the teach-in function is going to help much....as the engagement curves will be so different.

Last edited by PEI330Ci; 05-30-2014 at 09:45 PM.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:46 PM   #17
mdrobnak

No strategy writing for me. LOL

And your theories sound plausible. People wrote about it being horrific after switching clutches and to a single mass flywheel.

Aside from takeoff the engagement is definitely good. Shifting works fine with just a slight hint of harshness. So I'm glad I went the path I did, at least so far.

Old 05-30-2014, 11:03 PM   #18
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

Quote:
Aside from takeoff the engagement is definitely good. Shifting works fine with just a slight hint of harshness. So I'm glad I went the path I did, at least so far.
"Chirps the tires going into 3rd!"
Old 05-31-2014, 04:22 PM   #19
mdrobnak

Just got finished wiring up the Ethernet cable, CAN connection to the stock system, and moving around the power to be a bit more conventional. The ProEFI setup was a bit convoluted.

About to test...

Old 06-01-2014, 10:27 AM   #20
mdrobnak

So after some false starts, we have data!

The documentation has some places where it could be a little more clear, but the code was mostly right.

-Matt

Tags
motec, ssg, turbo 330