E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-06-2007, 12:57 PM   #1
travisbickle

My Ride: '03 Jet Black M3
Interesting piece of tuning hardware: AEM F/IC (fuel/injector controller)

http://www.aempower.com/ViewCategory...CategoryID=116

It's just a matter of time until a PnP harness is available for the E46 M3.

"The AEM F/IC is an economical solution for controlling fuel and ignition on vehicles that do not require stand-alone engine management, including variable cam timing engines like VTEC, VVTi and MiVEC.

The F/IC gives users with OBD-II vehicles and non-factory forced induction systems the ability to retard ignition and deliver accurate amounts of fuel without the need for outdated FMUs or “boost hiding” controllers. This system works parallel to the factory ECU preventing tuning limitations due to complex factory timing patterns and will not cause a check engine light (CEL)."

The logging capacity seems a bit low side but combined with a Innovate Motorsports DL-32 you'd have a nice package for tweaking tunes.
'03.5 M3|Jet Black|Cinnamon|Nav|HK Removal|BBS LM 19s|TCK D/A Coilovers 400F/500R|TCK Camber Plates|TCK Rear LCAs|Powerflex RTABs|TMS Subframe Reinforcement|Borla Cat Back|AA Stage 1 Gen 2 SC|Mach V Motorsports TLC
'05 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Quad 4X4|5.4L Hemi [The wife's ride]
travisbickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:13 PM   #2
///JTM3

My Ride: 2005 IB ZCP M3
Send a message via AIM to ///JTM3
I dont think that will ever come out plug and play for E46 M3.... Double VANOS is waaaayyy harder to tune than "Vtech"
Old 08-06-2007, 03:43 PM   #3
travisbickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///JTM3 View Post
I dont think that will ever come out plug and play for E46 M3.... Double VANOS is waaaayyy harder to tune than "Vtech"
What do you think HPF is using? It's a customized PnP version of this device... To your point, "plug and play" does not imply that the tuning of valve and exhaust tuning will be easy. My interest in the device is for it's ability to tune fuel and ignition. If I were tuning for a turbo installation I *might* be interested in valve timing to improve spool up.
'03.5 M3|Jet Black|Cinnamon|Nav|HK Removal|BBS LM 19s|TCK D/A Coilovers 400F/500R|TCK Camber Plates|TCK Rear LCAs|Powerflex RTABs|TMS Subframe Reinforcement|Borla Cat Back|AA Stage 1 Gen 2 SC|Mach V Motorsports TLC
Old 08-06-2007, 03:58 PM   #4
TaZaM3
Psshhhht M3

My Ride: E46 M3
I dont know how much ignition tuning HPF is doing on their AEM, i'd like to hear more from them on that.

I know we used an AEM ignition module for my car.
TaZaM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 09:38 PM   #5
02black330ci

My Ride: spaceship
Quote:
Originally Posted by travisbickle View Post
http://www.aempower.com/ViewCategory...CategoryID=116

It's just a matter of time until a PnP harness is available for the E46 M3.

"The AEM F/IC is an economical solution for controlling fuel and ignition on vehicles that do not require stand-alone engine management, including variable cam timing engines like VTEC, VVTi and MiVEC.

The F/IC gives users with OBD-II vehicles and non-factory forced induction systems the ability to retard ignition and deliver accurate amounts of fuel without the need for outdated FMUs or "boost hiding" controllers. This system works parallel to the factory ECU preventing tuning limitations due to complex factory timing patterns and will not cause a check engine light (CEL)."

The logging capacity seems a bit low side but combined with a Innovate Motorsports DL-32 you'd have a nice package for tweaking tunes.
Yeah, I had read up on these also, found it interesting. We will have to hear from Chris to see if they are using a separate ignition module, ie: twin-fire type, though I didn't see one as part of the kit.

On a side note, did you piece your kit together or were you using someone's GT35R kit? I was running a GT35R set up (Pieced together) on my evo also. I went through several piggy backs and standalones, ie: ECU+, MAFT-Pro and AEM. Too bad there isn't enough after market support for the E46 when it comes to turbo applications. HPF and TaZa are the only ones I know of in the M3 arena that have a pretty solid set up and in either case they both hurt the wallet very heavely!!!

Last edited by 02black330ci; 08-06-2007 at 09:43 PM.
02black330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 03:20 PM   #6
travisbickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02black330ci View Post
On a side note, did you piece your kit together or were you using someone's GT35R kit? I was running a GT35R set up (Pieced together) on my evo also. I went through several piggy backs and standalones, ie: ECU+, MAFT-Pro and AEM. Too bad there isn't enough after market support for the E46 when it comes to turbo applications. HPF and TaZa are the only ones I know of in the M3 arena that have a pretty solid set up and in either case they both hurt the wallet very heavely!!!
I pieced my system together using a Full Race manifold and downpipe. I had a Buschur intercooler and upper I/C piping that I reused. To plumb the compressor outlet I bought some mandrel bent stainless steel, cut it to length and had a guy bead the ends for me. The intake snorkel was formed using 4" 45deg mandrel bent aluminum joined using silicone couplers and I stuck a K&N cone filter on the end of it.

The lack of economy of scale for BMW parts really sucks. For my Evo, I spent nearly $15K in total for:
-2.3L stroked 4G63 short block w/ forged crank, coated Venolia pistons & Oliver billet rods
-ported & polished head w/ oversized exh valves
-Full Race turbo "kit" (exh manifold, downpipe & GT35R .63A/R w/anti-surge housing)
-AEM EMS & associated sensors
-Team Rip rebuilt transmission w/Quaife LSD

I'd be lucky to be able to yank my S54 out of the M and have the bottom end rebuilt for that price. One thing is for certain, when the time comes for a built bottom end, I'll be doing the work myself. It ain't brain surgery.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:01 PM   #7
02black330ci

My Ride: spaceship
Quote:
Originally Posted by travisbickle View Post
I pieced my system together using a Full Race manifold and downpipe. I had a Buschur intercooler and upper I/C piping that I reused. To plumb the compressor outlet I bought some mandrel bent stainless steel, cut it to length and had a guy bead the ends for me. The intake snorkel was formed using 4" 45deg mandrel bent aluminum joined using silicone couplers and I stuck a K&N cone filter on the end of it.

The lack of economy of scale for BMW parts really sucks. For my Evo, I spent nearly $15K in total for:
-2.3L stroked 4G63 short block w/ forged crank, coated Venolia pistons & Oliver billet rods
-ported & polished head w/ oversized exh valves
-Full Race turbo "kit" (exh manifold, downpipe & GT35R .63A/R w/anti-surge housing)
-AEM EMS & associated sensors
-Team Rip rebuilt transmission w/Quaife LSD

I'd be lucky to be able to yank my S54 out of the M and have the bottom end rebuilt for that price. One thing is for certain, when the time comes for a built bottom end, I'll be doing the work myself. It ain't brain surgery.
Its so funny how we DSM guys just LOVE to figure things out on our own, just something about doing it right and cheap or don't do it at all!!!

By the way, that was a VERY strong bottom end there. Not to mention the nice strong transmission you had on it!!!

In regards to the bottom end, I agree with you there. The first one I built for my 1G gsx, lasted me for like 6 months, but I learned a lot and the one's after that, are still out there on the road. Its just a matter of how much time you are willing to invest into the project and the money to buy the tools!!

Also, are you a member of EFIUniversity forum?

02black330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:36 AM   #8
sooper

My Ride: '99 323i
Bumping this thread...

Has anybody used AEM F/IC?
sooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 01:19 PM   #9
NIVO

My Ride: 2004 330Ci ZHP
Send a message via AIM to NIVO
I had answered sooper on his thread, I have used both on the BMW and the Unichip works much better on the BMW as Unichip has worked with certain BMW's in South Africa.

Here are some stuff that can be done with unichip. It is a basic wiring of the unichip on the actual MS45.1 DME:

http://www.e46turbo330ci.com/wp-cont...trol_01_02.jpg

www.E46Turbo330Ci.com
WARNING: This modification is known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm due to the extreme G forces once turbo kicks in. ~ Nivo
The rest of my signature is reserved for pointless modification bits like: Halos | window Tint | carbon fiber roundels | short shifter
NIVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 02:21 PM   #10
B18c1turboedek

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Read this

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=828874
B18c1turboedek is offline   Reply With Quote