E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.78 average. Display Modes
Old 02-02-2011, 12:25 PM   #181
bimmerguy055

My Ride: quick 325
Send a message via AIM to bimmerguy055
so far so good gurov. I am very curious to see you/someone to get the drive-by-wire to work, in-conjunction with MS v3. Soon, I should be back into the F/I club.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:06 AM   #182
gurov

My Ride: 2004 325XI Turbo
Send a message via AIM to gurov Send a message via MSN to gurov
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hageee View Post
Got back from my accident ...

Good to see, that you've done my tip to adjust the main pressure regulator. In my optinion you're able to do three or four rotations, without getting any problem. The main pressure regulator has a "failsafe" option to reduce the maximum pressure.

Now that you've done a complete oil exchange and the main regulator, you're able to boost your engine to ~ 350 HP or something and 450 NM or a little bit more without getting tranny-problems.

The GM 5L40-E is a fine tranny with a bad BMW-Software... the clutches slipps and the torque converter clutch has a programmed (!) slippage of 50 RPM - 80 RPM to reduce "roar-noises" ...

This all affected in metal-wear, which clogs the oil-filter and the oil-pressure... a doom loop ^^
i did several rotations of the main pressure solenoid, and i also shimmed the spring on the main pressure control ball valve.

torque converter clutch holds 7-8 psi, but starts to slip at higher rpm.maybe that's for the best, so i don't get too boost greedy.

thanks for the tip regarding the trans adjustment.
2004 SE-R SpecV turbo - megasquirt3 j&s ultrasafeguard - SOLD
gurov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:16 AM   #183
gurov

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerguy055 View Post
so far so good gurov. I am very curious to see you/someone to get the drive-by-wire to work, in-conjunction with MS v3. Soon, I should be back into the F/I club.
ugh, ****ing drive-by-wire.

i got it working tonight. after staring at a bunch of errors via BMW-SCANNER, it told me what exactly to fix and such. over 35 errors after running for a few seconds. the ecu is not happy.

even traction control worked. i had my sprint module installed.

however. there was one insane thing which made me say screw it and revert back to mechanical. when pushing throttle in, it takes quite a bit to make any movement, and then it goes to 7% throttle... which creates a very uncomfortable engine acceleration.

i may attempt this one more time, after i weld the holes in the throttle body plate that i drilled.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:25 AM   #184
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by gurov View Post
ugh, ****ing drive-by-wire.

i got it working tonight. after staring at a bunch of errors via BMW-SCANNER, it told me what exactly to fix and such. over 35 errors after running for a few seconds. the ecu is not happy.

even traction control worked. i had my sprint module installed.

however. there was one insane thing which made me say screw it and revert back to mechanical. when pushing throttle in, it takes quite a bit to make any movement, and then it goes to 7% throttle... which creates a very uncomfortable engine acceleration.

i may attempt this one more time, after i weld the holes in the throttle body plate that i drilled.
I think it's worth noting that the DBW throttle is opened above 30% throttle, everything else below that is usually controlled by the IACV.
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:46 PM   #185
gurov

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
I think it's worth noting that the DBW throttle is opened above 30% throttle, everything else below that is usually controlled by the IACV.

seriously ? really ?...

this might explain why the damn thing was stalling on me with normal DBW. and why it drove like such ass with just the throttle body hooked up and idle valve hanging out not doing anything.

this time i had the idle valve just chilling out there, not hooked up to anything, and it was actually idling fine.

i guess i'll go for iteration #4 of this ****. i want to unbolt the damn disa valve, cause i think it got jacked by the pressure inside the manifold, but the freaking screw is stripped out. i could make a blockoff plate for DISA hole and put the IACV fitting there.

speaking of IACV... i noticed the extra holes in the head going into the intake ports, and corresponding holes in the intake manifold, what's this all about ?

is this where the stock IACV port goes to ? cause this could totally explain exactly why my thing was stalling:

i am using 60 pound injectors, these, this is what they look like:

the stock injectors i pulled out of the thing, whataever size they were look like this:

with the really long neck.

so it's squirting a hell of a lot closer to the intake port than my replacement injectors, which will sure as hell make a difference if the throttle plate is fully closed, and the only airflow is through those tiny holes.

>FURTHERMORE<, one of the things i did differently >THIS< time is i'm getting my vacuum signal for the megasqurit from vacuum equalizing pipe thing slightly further up the intake runners, which would be a lot closer to the intake ports, to get a better reading.

so yeah, next step is to take off the freaking DISA valve, cause i'm pretty sure it's down right broken, and replace it with a blockoff plate and hosebarb to go to the idle valve.

are there any replacement manifolds i can get for this ? i don't suppose the s54 ITB manifold would fit ? that seems a lot less convoluted, would probably cost me an arm and a leg, but i would stop having to screw with this so damn much.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:21 PM   #186
ritos530i

My Ride: 2004 E60 530i 6speed
Send a message via MSN to ritos530i Send a message via Yahoo to ritos530i Send a message via Skype™ to ritos530i
The stock injectors in the photo are 24lb injectors being replaced by 60lb injectors that don't have the extended tip. PEI330 probably gave you the best advice for the DBW as you are the probably the only one I know having a issue running the DBW.
I can't remember the source but I removed my DISA a long time ago and bought a custom made blockoff plate which i could take off and provide photos of it installed as well off the car if you like. I also have two DISA valves laying around and a second manifold as well. If you want to replace the DISA with the one i Have I can ship it to you. I've been told several times that the car will run better with the DISA as it aids in the lower RPMs but I am ok with it removed. I want to say by removing it I lost throttle response but Don't quote me on that.

530i E60 Custom Turbo/Nitrous (PSI_unknown)
ritos530i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:10 PM   #187
gurov

I will have to try this again at a later date. the car runs now. I'm going to see if I can take the disa valve out and make a blockoff plate, replace the orings on the vac equalization pipe, and think about installing the dbw tb back. I really would like the traction control back, as its snowy out there.

as far as throttle response, its fantastic now. I blew a boost pipe off on the highway the other night, and the car was way slower, this smaller turbo helps a ton.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:11 PM   #188
gurov

I will have to try this again at a later date. the car runs now. I'm going to see if I can take the disa valve out and make a blockoff plate, replace the orings on the vac equalization pipe, and think about installing the dbw tb back. I really would like the traction control back, as its snowy out there.

as far as throttle response, its fantastic now. I blew a boost pipe off on the highway the other night, and the car was way slower, this smaller turbo helps a ton.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:08 PM   #189
gurov

doh

Last edited by gurov; 02-03-2011 at 08:09 PM.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:19 AM   #190
gurov

proper non-fake greddy blowoff valve (type-RS), and a DISA blockoff plate. after i pulled the disa valve off, i was able to pretty much pull the shaft out by hand. it was leaking pretty badly.

the air temp sensor on that blowoff pipe is now useless, i was able to calibrate megasquirt tables to be within 1 degree of the stock sensors using a trick and obd2 reader. much better using the stock sensors.

i will be using that spot on the pipe for alky nozzle, there's enough room in there to put a shurflo pump and a water solenoid, just have to figure out where the tank will go.

next up, i'll prolly replace the ebay small wastegate with the tial gate i have. we'll see how motivated i will be.

Last edited by gurov; 02-06-2011 at 02:21 AM.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:42 AM   #191
ritos530i

Send a message via MSN to ritos530i Send a message via Yahoo to ritos530i Send a message via Skype™ to ritos530i
For the Alky tank, just use the stock windshield wiper tank. That is if you still have one installed.
I've never asked this before I don't think but what are you doing with the Oil Separator/Crank case?

Old 02-06-2011, 03:35 AM   #192
gurov

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritos530i View Post
For the Alky tank, just use the stock windshield wiper tank. That is if you still have one installed.
I've never asked this before I don't think but what are you doing with the Oil Separator/Crank case?
oil separator/crank case swirly thing is gone. i just have a hose coming off the valve cover for now, i might end up doing what other folks here do and pipe that into exhaust with a checkvalve.

i no longer have the stock washer fluid tank, that space is occupied by the turbo and airfilter. that's why you see a smaller tank with blue fluid there in the pics. that's a universal radiator coolant return container i bought from pepboys and made it fit there using stock pump and a hose going to the washer nozzles. that tank's too small for alky though. this turbo spools way too fast and i would have to refill it way more often than i want to.

i have a separate fairly large tank available, but i would have to mount that in the trunk and run all the wires back there for management and such.

oh yeah, i don't think i ever posted this picture yet:

i finally have gauges:

the gauge on the right is wrong color... it went red on me the other night, so i know it's possible, and that's what i'll end up doing to it. gauge in the middle is the fantastic j&s safeguard, which basically lets me do whatever the hell i want with timing/fuel and i won't destroy the engine with knock. i wouldn't even be attempting this if that device did not exist.

this is me recalibrating ms3's intake air temp and coolant temp using obd2 and a resistor:

latest bay picture (almost, still old fake greddy ebay valve)

Old 02-06-2011, 03:36 AM   #193
gurov

also, what are people doing for turbo injectors on these cars ? my 60lb are a tad too big for this application.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:46 AM   #194
ritos530i

Quote:
also, what are people doing for turbo injectors on these cars ? my 60lb are a tad too big for this application.
You can find 42lb injectors for around 200 bucks almost anywhere. You can also find some ford green tops which are 42lb injectors even cheaper.
I just notice again and i know you covered this before but what are you doing for the MAF. Does that device in the middle of the steering wheel a MAF Translator too.

Old 02-06-2011, 04:07 AM   #195
gurov

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritos530i View Post
You can find 42lb injectors for around 200 bucks almost anywhere. You can also find some ford green tops which are 42lb injectors even cheaper.
I just notice again and i know you covered this before but what are you doing for the MAF. Does that device in the middle of the steering wheel a MAF Translator too.
no, it's just a windowing knock suppressor that goes between megasquirt (or any other logic-level ignition timing source) and the ignition coils. in my case it's from megasquirt to j&s to toyota igniter to stock coilpacks (i am running stock coils now)

it has nothing to do with the maf.

i also have no maf. i do not need it, i am running this off speed density.

i'll look around for injectors. cause the 60 pounds are just a tad much for now.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:12 AM   #196
Hageee

My Ride: E46 330xiA
Send a message via ICQ to Hageee
gurov - you've replaced stock ECU with a Megasquirt - what is with your Vanos? Does Megasquit control them?
Hageee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:22 AM   #197
SweTurbo
Big Pimpin'

My Ride: 323i -98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hageee View Post
gurov - you've replaced stock ECU with a Megasquirt - what is with your Vanos? Does Megasquit control them?
MS v3 only has support for ON/OFF variable camtiming such as vtec, i suspect gurov just has his vanos set to the default position ?
SweTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:28 AM   #198
gurov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pir4t View Post
MS v3 only has support for ON/OFF variable camtiming such as vtec, i suspect gurov just has his vanos set to the default position ?
stock ecu has vanos control, not sure if it does anything with it.

alpha 1.1 will have vanos support for up to 4 cams here shortly, i'm waiting for it to become a bit more stable before i start to experiment with alpha software.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:56 AM   #199
drumbum624

My Ride: 325xi
Send a message via AIM to drumbum624
Quote:
i also have no maf. i do not need it, i am running this off speed density.
Hey can you explain how this works to us noobs?
Old 02-06-2011, 12:07 PM   #200
gurov

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumbum624 View Post
Hey can you explain how this works to us noobs?
speed density uses intake manifold pressure, barometric pressure, inlet air temperature and a slew of other corrections to predict how much fuel is required for a particular mode of operation.

the upside of this is that i can blow off a boost pipe like i did the other night on the highway, and make it home just down on power, with engine running perfectly fine and not weird on fuel.

most standalones adopt this control strategy, i will experiment with maf more further down the line just for kicks, but ultimately speed density is where this will remain.