E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 26 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 02-09-2011, 01:32 AM   #201
gurov

My Ride: 2004 325XI Turbo
Send a message via AIM to gurov Send a message via MSN to gurov
things on the way:

volvo T6 high impedance 315cc/min injectors (to replace the 660's) going to see how far i can take the 315's, i couldn't find what the stock 325i/xi injectors were, so i'll just see how these do, after cleaning/backflushing/flowtesting them using wd40 and some spare pumps here (megasquirt2-based testbench as well). i'd love to get the e46 proper larger injectors with angled nozzles for CHEAP (consider i got the volvo injectors for 40 bucks shipped for a set of 6) i would go that route as well.

real walbro 255 fuel pump - $50 out of some guy's dsm. so i know it won't fail cause it's worked that long. again, no idea what i'm running now, guessing non-M fuel pumps are going to be inferior to the M pumps, but HPF puts these into their high-hp cars, so good enough for them good enough for me.

non-destroyed drive by wire throttle body to replace one i banged up a tad - i want drive by wire working. main purpose is to get my damn traction control back and cruise control, and potentially shut up the ecu a bit more. naturally the stock gas pedal (along with sprint module) will come back.

switching to the alpha branch of MS3 code, this includes variable cam control, eventually for up to 4 cams. i will be testing these one at a time for now, eventually ending up with running full dual vanos system from megasquirt3 and mapping it exactly how i want, which will probably be a sensibly modified mitsu evo-X map or something to that effect for a base setting.

maf will have to make a comeback, probably right by the throttle body eventually, but i'll keep it at the turbo inlet for now cause that's where the wire has been extended to, i'm assuming the ecu wants this, plus i will need it for the stock ecu to move the cams around so i can log where it wants them during various operations to build my map on.

further tuning the transmission controller to soften the shifts (mostly it's the torque converter clutch engagement at this point, i believe) during normal cruise operations, which i have parameters for.

installing 4x cylinder head temperature probes, 4x cause i got the io extender made for my sentra, but that's going to have to wait. i'm going to pick cyl 1, 6 3 and 4 for the ones i'm going to monitor, these will be available via the CAN bus on the megasquirt side for displaying/logging

while i'm in the harness again, i might as well hook up the oil temperature stock sender and figure out the calibration for that the same way i figured out calibration for intake air/coolant temps via obd2.

if the oil level gauge is around that same spot in the harness, that would get hooked up a well, io-x has 24 available inputs i couldn't possibly ever use up.

new 16" wheels with more rubber than these 18's, and a tire pressure monitoring system to boot is also getting thrown on here.

also, that boost gauge is going to be made amber permanently. not white, so it somewhat matches.
2004 SE-R SpecV turbo - megasquirt3 j&s ultrasafeguard - SOLD
gurov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:09 PM   #202
gurov

little update.

i am now running volvo T6 315cc injectors instead of the 660cc injectors i had before. 315cc injectors give me decent amount of fuel and have better spray pattern at lower pulsewidths than the 660s. i bought the volvo injectors used from ebay for $40, backfllowed them on my injector test bench, flowtested them, and figured out rough deadtime.

i also JUST lost the intake air temp sensor. the thing is dead. reads 0 ohms resistance across and shows up as 400 degrees F in my management system, which is basically off the scale. luckily, i had that older M manifold hanging around, which had a working air temp sensor. bizzare though, i've never seen a sensor fail like this
Old 03-13-2011, 04:03 AM   #203
gurov

more update.

i have now hooked up a narrowband sensor in parallel to the LC1 wideband, as i've been having problems with the LC1 dying on me. I have an SLC_OEM unit on the way which will replace the LC1. The upside to this is i now have an easy way to flip over to the narrowband and tune cruise/idle/etc off that. i was very surprised at how accurate the stock narrowband with 90k miles on it is. It is a 4 wire and responds with the right 0-1.4v narrowband signal, but it is quite accurate under load. within .4 of the wideband on the rich side.

i have now also taken over the dual vanos control on the m54 engine and tuned that to create more overlap below boost transition point. as soon as boost hits, intake is retarded and exhaust is advanced to rest positions.

i've been running 7 pounds so far on this on the auto-trans controlled by megashift, and it's quite fun to drive. not the fastest thing out there, but neat. i think the dual VVT will help quite a bit once i get more seat time with it. MS3 now has support for quad VVT as well.

i also somehow lost a fan blade, which created an odd engine vibration and caused me to order replacement motor mounts, so those will also go on the car shortly.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:29 AM   #204
wat3rbug

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325 xi
Are you still running the mechanical fan or did you convert to the electric?
Old 03-13-2011, 12:03 PM   #205
gurov

Quote:
Originally Posted by wat3rbug View Post
Are you still running the mechanical fan or did you convert to the electric?

it's mechanical still. i've got a replacement plastic coming.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:45 AM   #206
JaYaRe

My Ride: goes, Brroom Brooom
updates
Old 03-22-2011, 07:49 AM   #207
gurov

putting a 62mm inducer turbo, a gt30 chinese ebay knockoff on the car once it gets here. .7 compressor ar, .6 exhaust ar, journal bearing.

new motor mounts sitting in the garage, and i also want to redo the exhaust system with single 2.5" pipe.

other than that, nothing to update on, car drives like stock, starts fine, gets decent gas mileage. it's not the fastest thing out there, but it gets going and is enough for highway driving and such.

Last edited by gurov; 03-22-2011 at 07:50 AM.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:18 AM   #208
SweTurbo
Big Pimpin'

My Ride: 323i -98
Sweet build gurov

I'm curious about the vanos stuff , how much overlap are you runing and are you running it constant or is there a transition over a couple hundred rpm's to boost ?
SweTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:38 AM   #209
gurov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pir4t View Post
Sweet build gurov

I'm curious about the vanos stuff , how much overlap are you runing and are you running it constant or is there a transition over a couple hundred rpm's to boost ?
since nobody freaking knows the 325 centerlines, I can't really tell how much total overlap. but I add 28 degrees at 2000 rpm, 20 at 3000, and 10 after that. also around 4 psi overlap starts dropping to zero going into boost. only controlling intake cam for now, waiting for next software release to do the exhaust cam. it works now, but the signal has some errors from time to time, so it flips back and forth.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:56 AM   #210
SweTurbo
Big Pimpin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurov View Post
since nobody freaking knows the 325 centerlines, I can't really tell how much total overlap. but I add 28 degrees at 2000 rpm, 20 at 3000, and 10 after that. also around 4 psi overlap starts dropping to zero going into boost. only controlling intake cam for now, waiting for next software release to do the exhaust cam. it works now, but the signal has some errors from time to time, so it flips back and forth.
Interesting

So my G4 Manual says to use shielded cables for CPS'es , i guess you already knew that ? (worth saying since you have some errors hough)

Cheers !
Old 03-22-2011, 09:29 AM   #211
gurov

Quote:
Interesting

So my G4 Manual says to use shielded cables for CPS'es , i guess you already knew that ? (worth saying since you have some errors hough)

Cheers !
i may try that, but they're fixing this in software so it ignores errant readings which needs to happen anyway.

i may have some shielded cable i can run, but i doubt that's going to make any difference. the sensors are pretty much HALL type, and quite clean signal on the scope.

it would be nice to get a stock(or FI tuned) vanos map (which i may look around for if i get to it) and use that with some modifications.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:31 AM   #212
SweTurbo
Big Pimpin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurov View Post
i may try that, but they're fixing this in software so it ignores errant readings which needs to happen anyway.

i may have some shielded cable i can run, but i doubt that's going to make any difference. the sensors are pretty much HALL type, and quite clean signal on the scope.

it would be nice to get a stock(or FI tuned) vanos map (which i may look around for if i get to it) and use that with some modifications.
Yeah that's what i thought about the hall sensors aswell , might be worth a shot anyways

Yeah a stock vanos map would be great , or some way to log the stock one along with TPS and RPM (from what i understand that's what the DME uses to adjust vanos right ?)
Old 03-22-2011, 09:49 AM   #213
gurov

Quote:
Yeah that's what i thought about the hall sensors aswell , might be worth a shot anyways

Yeah a stock vanos map would be great , or some way to log the stock one along with TPS and RPM (from what i understand that's what the DME uses to adjust vanos right ?)
dunno what it uses, but i bet load (MAF) has a lot to do with it.

my vanos map is based off RPM and fuel load (in my case it's %baro). there is also injector angle compensation to advance injector timing with the intake cam
Old 03-22-2011, 12:06 PM   #214
gurov

oh yeah, ordered an OBX catback (2x 2" pipes), that i'm going to make fit my car. hooray for ebay parts.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:33 AM   #215
gurov

new turbo

this is an ebay gt35/gt30 knockoff. i'll see how long it lasts.

and in other news... my compound turbo setup on the sentra is progressing somewhat:

61mm inducer, 80mm exducer.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:35 AM   #216
wat3rbug

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325 xi
What's wrong with the old turbo?
Old 03-31-2011, 11:01 AM   #217
gurov

Quote:
Originally Posted by wat3rbug View Post
What's wrong with the old turbo?
i wanted a bigger turbo for the hell of it.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:04 PM   #218
ritos530i

My Ride: 2004 E60 530i 6speed
Send a message via MSN to ritos530i Send a message via Yahoo to ritos530i Send a message via Skype™ to ritos530i
Now that it's warming up, Can we finally get some videos of the car doing it's thing.
I know you don't dyno your car but that would be nice too.
I think you are doing a great job with the project and I always enjoy seeing the updates

530i E60 Custom Turbo/Nitrous (PSI_unknown)
ritos530i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:06 PM   #219
gurov

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritos530i View Post
Now that it's warming up, Can we finally get some videos of the car doing it's thing.
I know you don't dyno your car but that would be nice too.
I think you are doing a great job with the project and I always enjoy seeing the updates
i've been driving this thing all over the place. the tune is spot on, vanos control works wonders on the powerband.

there's still a few minutes of lean misfires after a very cold start, but i'm just too lazy to tune that out.

i've been meaning to get some videos..., just never have enough hands to hold the camera and drive.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:22 PM   #220
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
Very cool