E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.78 average. Display Modes
Old 08-03-2010, 08:23 PM   #41
firefirefire90
Banned

My Ride: suce ma bite
Send a message via AIM to firefirefire90
this. is. AWESOME!
firefirefire90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:31 PM   #42
ritos530i

My Ride: 2004 E60 530i 6speed
Send a message via MSN to ritos530i Send a message via Yahoo to ritos530i Send a message via Skype™ to ritos530i
Awesome, I am so ready to sort out my MAF issue and from the sounds of it if i am going to run one once i am standalone I might as well get one now.
This is the MAF i've been highly thinking about getting.
http://www.abacoperformance.com/products.htm
It pretty much takes care of fueling, in or out of boost so I am not sure what the standalone will actually be doing besides timing etc... or if it even makes since to have something so advance parallel to the standalone.
It's either that or don't run one at all.

Also, that's what I am missing with my current setup where I can just stab at the throttle and get the response I need.

Anyway, I applaud you for your efforts and waiting for the final output.
Thanks,
Rito
Quote:
Originally Posted by gurov View Post
the maf is definitely not causing any drivability issues. it was just there in the way. later down the road i may go back to the maf once the blending code is developed more, maf for below boost and map for above boost. MAF will have a lot better time measuring the entering amounts of air for calculating fueling. whether i go back to this stock maf or some other unit still remains unknown.

maf was simply a slight restriction in the intake piping.

for now the car will be on MAP fueling (well, % baro for elevation correction, but that's a whole different topic). as far as drivability, that will take a bit long to dial in perfectly where you could stab the throttle at any speed and have it respond flawlessly, but as far as driving long distances, it shouldn't be a problem.

530i E60 Custom Turbo/Nitrous (PSI_unknown)
ritos530i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:42 PM   #43
blk04zhpcpe

My Ride: 2004 330ci zhp coupe
great show ! glad i tuned in. when you say you have dumped the maf, is it now in alpha-n mode or speed density mode ? i understand megasquirt can do these.
blk04zhpcpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:12 PM   #44
gurov

My Ride: 2004 325XI Turbo
Send a message via AIM to gurov Send a message via MSN to gurov
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk04zhpcpe View Post
great show ! glad i tuned in. when you say you have dumped the maf, is it now in alpha-n mode or speed density mode ? i understand megasquirt can do these.
speed density, but it's set to percent baro, so atmospheric is always 100 ""kpa"", which now becomes "fuel load".
gurov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:16 PM   #45
gurov

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc179 View Post
Hey

very awesome project! Glad to see it going.. wanted to ask why it wasn't possible to use the bmw coil's with mega squirt? Does the megasquirt put out a +12v signal, and the bmw coils are expecting the signal wire to be grounded, such that you'd need to build a signal inverter so to fire them? Is the stock ecu doing the tach, and vanos and nil else?

Nice indeed - btw where did you source that exhaust manifold? I've been looking for something to mount a small garette turbo I have , that manifold would be perfect!
i was simply too lazy to troubleshoot the bugs from firing the bmw coils. they're just normal dumb coils without an igniter, so it's totally doable to run them with megasquirt and people have done it. I took the easy way out and did LS1 coils, cause i've done several cars with them, hence i know how they work and they're easy to work with.

stock ecu is driving tach, speedo, and whatever else is still connected to it. vanos is unplugged. once i get more bugs worked out of this, i'll call upon the seattle circuit fellow to provide me a with a dual vanos controller to see what that will get me.

the manifold is ebay. i do not like it. i just ordered a turbocharging dynamics manifold today along with a t4 to t3 cast iron adapter.

the problem with my manifold, or i suppose with my choice of parts is the fact that i'm using a very much hacked together wastegate, where i even had to drill the exhaust housing of the turbo for the hole, apparently that wasn't big enough, so now there's boost creep and it's overboosting.

i've got a proper tial gate laying around, and with the turbocharging dynamics manifold (which will hopefully fit, we'll see) i'll be able to use the external gate and control the boost properly without hitting self-imposed boost cut.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:24 PM   #46
gurov

here's a very slow acceleration with blowoff at the end, not sure what gear that was, and it was def not full throttle:
Old 08-03-2010, 09:26 PM   #47
JackEatsEmoKids

My Ride: '02 E39 530/5
Send a message via AIM to JackEatsEmoKids
Quote:
i was simply too lazy to troubleshoot the bugs from firing the bmw coils. they're just normal dumb coils without an igniter, so it's totally doable to run them with megasquirt and people have done it. I took the easy way out and did LS1 coils, cause i've done several cars with them, hence i know how they work and they're easy to work with.

stock ecu is driving tach, speedo, and whatever else is still connected to it. vanos is unplugged. once i get more bugs worked out of this, i'll call upon the seattle circuit fellow to provide me a with a dual vanos controller to see what that will get me.

the manifold is ebay. i do not like it. i just ordered a turbocharging dynamics manifold today along with a t4 to t3 cast iron adapter.

the problem with my manifold, or i suppose with my choice of parts is the fact that i'm using a very much hacked together wastegate, where i even had to drill the exhaust housing of the turbo for the hole, apparently that wasn't big enough, so now there's boost creep and it's overboosting.

i've got a proper tial gate laying around, and with the turbocharging dynamics manifold (which will hopefully fit, we'll see) i'll be able to use the external gate and control the boost properly without hitting self-imposed boost cut.
Awesome! I've been following your build on bimmerforums. Glad to see you're running a MegaSquirt. I love them, best bang for the buck.

Good luck!
Old 08-03-2010, 09:42 PM   #48
gurov

finally some pictures of it. went out today to get some groceries.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:26 PM   #49
jc179

My Ride: 2004-325xi,87-5000TQ
Quote:

Hey

thanks for the reply & keeping us posted. I'd looked for ebay manifolds but only found the E36 variety, of which i am not certain they bolt up to the newer engines. In either case lots of work to get this going, still thinking of how to do this in my head.

Thanks

Jonathan
jc179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:19 PM   #50
Iceman00

My Ride: E90 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc179 View Post
Hey

thanks for the reply & keeping us posted. I'd looked for ebay manifolds but only found the E36 variety, of which i am not certain they bolt up to the newer engines. In either case lots of work to get this going, still thinking of how to do this in my head.

Thanks

Jonathan
More than likely, they'll work.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:40 PM   #51
cnotesdip

My Ride: 330ci
look on here for ebay headers search for that and you will find everything you need to know and who to buy the headers from do this or you may get the wrong headers.
cnotesdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:49 PM   #52
gurov

yea, the manifold I'm getting from tcd is actually an s52/m52 variety, I'm pretty sure it will work, hopefully the wastegate clears the wheelwells. as I realizedm the engines are mounted at diffefent slant angles, so I might have to modify my engine mount once again.
2004 SE-R SpecV turbo - megasquirt3 j&s ultrasafeguard - SOLD
Old 08-06-2010, 09:19 PM   #53
ridin325

My Ride: 2013 911 C2S
Congrats on the project. Its nice to see someone on the forum that actually knows what they are doing. I have been telling people for years that you could do this and alot cheaper then what they think it would cost. If you know what your doing and you fab everything up yourself like the op I can guarantee this cost a good amount less then the supercharger kits out.
ridin325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 03:49 AM   #54
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridin325 View Post
Congrats on the project. Its nice to see someone on the forum that actually knows what they are doing. I have been telling people for years that you could do this and alot cheaper then what they think it would cost. If you know what your doing and you fab everything up yourself like the op I can guarantee this cost a good amount less then the supercharger kits out.
Individually, people need to decide what their time is worth. If you have lots of time, and want to save money, DIY makes sense. If you have very little spare time, kits make a lot of sense.

Then there are fanatics that like to spend lots of money and time, because they just like to do things "their way".....

Last edited by PEI330Ci; 08-07-2010 at 04:17 AM.
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 01:37 PM   #55
mvrk10256

My Ride: E30 325i
Send a message via AIM to mvrk10256
whoever wanted information on the headers check my sig.

On a seperate note one day I will have money for another car and i think my 323i may undergo a similar construction, but the biggest issue is having the tools to do the job.and the space to store a car for a while since this is definitly not a day project.
Old 08-07-2010, 03:18 PM   #56
Iceman00

My Ride: E90 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridin325 View Post
There was never an issue of being able to do it, it seems the major problem is having it tuned. The people who cracked the ECU want to monopolize tuning so they can sell their "kits" instead. If/When Shark edit comes, it's all over. You'll be seeing builds like this all over the place.
Old 08-07-2010, 03:52 PM   #57
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvrk10256 View Post
the biggest issue is having the tools to do the job.and the space to store a car for a while since this is definitly not a day project.
1000 sq/ft for one car, and it wasn't enough for me. Car projects eat space.

Decided to build a 2nd garage at the house for this kind of thing. It's a balance between property setbacks, and how much my wife/neighbors will tolerate for size. (I live in an acreage area with covenance stipulations) My neighbors thought I was joking about buying the lot behind me to extend the garage onto it...30' X 150' isn't too big right?

Turbo projects can get expensive!!!!!!
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 04:30 PM   #58
mvrk10256

My Ride: E30 325i
Send a message via AIM to mvrk10256
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
1000 sq/ft for one car, and it wasn't enough for me. Car projects eat space.

Decided to build a 2nd garage at the house for this kind of thing. It's a balance between property setbacks, and how much my wife/neighbors will tolerate for size. (I live in an acreage area with covenance stipulations) My neighbors thought I was joking about buying the lot behind me to extend the garage onto it...30' X 150' isn't too big right?

Turbo projects can get expensive!!!!!!
My dream a nice house with lots of land to build a big garage so i can have space to work on **** like this. I just need to make sure i get somewhere with no laws like that. fvck the neighbors I do what i want on my land
Old 08-09-2010, 11:18 PM   #59
BadBoostedBmwM3

My Ride: 323i & e36 Turbo M3
very nice to see the car running! I can't wait to see videos of it tearing up the streets.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:27 AM   #60
gurov

tore back into the exhaust bits of the car today, it was overboosting on the internal gate i rigged up, so i bought a TCD manifold, and a t3 to t4 adapter. just for kicks i reversed the manifold, and it looks like if one gets a t3/t4 adapter with the right angle and the right height to get the compressor housing to clear, it would be possible to do a topmount setup, while keeping the AC lines undisturbed. tial gate mounts cleanly on the bottom of the manifold, just have to relocate the main pressure port on the gate to a different spot and plug the original. i'm not sure i'm going to go through with the topmount idea, but it's def possible. 2.5" pipe fits between the rear of the manifold and wheelwell/firewall heatshielding fairly well
2004 SE-R SpecV turbo - megasquirt3 j&s ultrasafeguard - SOLD