E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.43 average. Display Modes
Old 08-11-2010, 03:02 AM   #61
ritos530i

My Ride: 2004 E60 530i 6speed
Send a message via MSN to ritos530i Send a message via Yahoo to ritos530i Send a message via Skype™ to ritos530i
Come on Papi, you know Pictures are a thousand words LOL
How is the tuning process coming along, I suppose you will have to wait until after you have finish with the exhaust to tell everyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurov View Post
tore back into the exhaust bits of the car today, it was overboosting on the internal gate i rigged up, so i bought a TCD manifold, and a t3 to t4 adapter. just for kicks i reversed the manifold, and it looks like if one gets a t3/t4 adapter with the right angle and the right height to get the compressor housing to clear, it would be possible to do a topmount setup, while keeping the AC lines undisturbed. tial gate mounts cleanly on the bottom of the manifold, just have to relocate the main pressure port on the gate to a different spot and plug the original. i'm not sure i'm going to go through with the topmount idea, but it's def possible. 2.5" pipe fits between the rear of the manifold and wheelwell/firewall heatshielding fairly well

530i E60 Custom Turbo/Nitrous (PSI_unknown)
ritos530i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 03:10 AM   #62
abstracteknics

My Ride: RRR-1|three2eight
Send a message via Skype™ to abstracteknics
whoaaa how did i miss this! Subscribed! I've been trying to do this with a buddy of mine... his company (Neukin dot com) specialize turbo manifolds and turbo kit components. Custom intercoolers, turbo manifolds and integration of blow off valves and wastegates, fabrication of race parts, etc... We just didn't have the time (together) and yet here you are doing it by yourself! Amazing!! I'm excited to see this fully develop!
Old 08-11-2010, 08:54 AM   #63
gurov

My Ride: 2004 325XI Turbo
Send a message via AIM to gurov Send a message via MSN to gurov
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritos530i View Post
Come on Papi, you know Pictures are a thousand words LOL
How is the tuning process coming along, I suppose you will have to wait until after you have finish with the exhaust to tell everyone?
here you go:

flange exposed

the adapter set that doesn't quite fit all the way this way for topmount, it's too short

this is turbocharger properly seated on the manifold flange:

not QUITE enough to fit the compressor housing there, i may try grinding it down some:

the AC lines near the adapter:

space between manifold and the body in the back should be fine for fitting a 2.5" downpipe

modification to the tial gate to fit below the manifold next to the AC compressor

the main fitting that drives the valve open has to be relocated, so you can see the low profile plug there and a new fitting on the side.

i'm going to attempt to grind enough of the compressor housing down before i abandon this idea, as it would be REALLY NICE not to have to **** with the engine mount modification and generally work from the bottom of the car.

i'll know by tonight if i'm going to procede with the topmount option.

also, i must add, the turbochargingdynamics manifold is a VERY nice piece. i'm not sure how it fits yet in the way it was inteded to fit, but i'm impressed with the casting job so far.
2004 SE-R SpecV turbo - megasquirt3
- SOLD

Last edited by gurov; 08-11-2010 at 10:43 AM.
gurov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:11 AM   #64
MachRc
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 2003 Technik S1 M3
This is starting to resemble a e30 turbo build with megasquirt very interesting.

"I never met a girl that make me feel like you do,..you're alright...Whenever I'm asked who makes my dreams real, I say that you do, you're alright..
Baby, baby, baby.. I'm bringing you a love that's true..Baby, baby, baby.. I'm bringing you a love that's true.."

Bimmerfest BBQ 2014
MachRc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:39 PM   #65
gurov

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachRc View Post
This is starting to resemble a e30 turbo build with megasquirt very interesting.
megasquirt 3 (as in ms3) + ms3x for sequential fueling/ignition/idle control/other stuff, i'm also in the process of programming a GPIO for 5L40E auto trans control.

also, looks like i have to go topmount with this or die trying.

TCD is meant for e36 it seems with the different angle engine, so on e46, the giant tial wastegate thing hits the body.
- SOLD
Old 08-11-2010, 01:55 PM   #66
LittleChrist12

My Ride: 2003 BMW 325xi
Any concerns with the extra power damaging the xDrive system? I know it's much simpler with a RWD setup, but you have 2 diffs to worry about as well as the extra compenets in the gearbox to transfer power up front. Also, any modifications to the ABS/DSC system?
Old 08-11-2010, 02:16 PM   #67
gurov

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleChrist12 View Post
Any concerns with the extra power damaging the xDrive system? I know it's much simpler with a RWD setup, but you have 2 diffs to worry about as well as the extra compenets in the gearbox to transfer power up front. Also, any modifications to the ABS/DSC system?
hmm... well, from what i can tell, the components aren't made of crap and they're also shared with some more powerful vehicles.

there's actually 3 diffs... cause there's a center diff. i'm not sure if the DSC system is still going to be functional with all the control that's been taken away from the ecu.

my primary concern is really the gearbox, but hopefully with proper tuning of the transmission controller, i will be able to put some power through it. the gearbox is rated at 390 ft/lb max by GM (as390r <--- the 390 in there).

i just ordered a few parts that will hopefully make it painless to install the topmount setup.
- SOLD
Old 08-11-2010, 04:56 PM   #68
ritos530i

Send a message via MSN to ritos530i Send a message via Yahoo to ritos530i Send a message via Skype™ to ritos530i
Thank you so much for the photos, it just adds a whole new life to the thread and conveying your project to others. I am liking your idea of going top mounted and hopes it working out.
As for the DSC just turn it off when you playing with boost or remove the fuse like HPF did on their M3 and see what happens.
BTW, with 390rwtq that all wheel drive is going to be insane either way you look at it. 350rwhp and 350rwtq is fast on a all wheel drive car with stock internals etc...
Wish you the best and looking forward to the more photos once you have the top mount sorted.
Rito

Old 08-11-2010, 06:45 PM   #69
BadBoostedBmwM3

My Ride: 323i & e36 Turbo M3
Might be a dumb question, but you are gong to cut the manifold around the flange, correct??

Also, do keep in mind with the top mount setup heat will BECOME a problem. You have plug wire, plastic valve cover, etc. there. Many e36 have had problems.
I would definitely ceramic coat everything and buy a turbo shield. i would also wrap those plug wires.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:20 PM   #70
xixixi
Banned User

My Ride: 01 330x-xi
Quote:
Thank you so much for the photos, it just adds a whole new life to the thread and conveying your project to others. I am liking your idea of going top mounted and hopes it working out.
As for the DSC just turn it off when you playing with boost or remove the fuse like HPF did on their M3 and see what happens.
BTW, with 390rwtq that all wheel drive is going to be insane either way you look at it. 350rwhp and 350rwtq is fast on a all wheel drive car with stock internals etc...
Wish you the best and looking forward to the more photos once you have the top mount sorted.
Rito
cutting the dsc doesn't work on XI, I'm having software issues after the rwd swap b.c of this. And BMW of NA won't reflash my ecu b.c of legal/vin issues. I'd really like to know more about the abs/dsc problems/solutions you are having/working out. However you have an AT so you are able to control more than with a M/T. Either way epic thread!! epic pics!!

Last edited by xixixi; 08-11-2010 at 08:22 PM.
xixixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:39 PM   #71
fisher_330ci

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330ci
Looks good... I looked through the pics a couple times and didn't seen any jack stands though. A guy here at work was killed two weeks ago when his jack failed. He had good stuff and a nasty Mustang, but just one of those things. If you were using them and I just didn't see them, then my bad, but still... just sayin.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:04 PM   #72
gurov

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBoostedBmwM3 View Post
Might be a dumb question, but you are gong to cut the manifold around the flange, correct??

Also, do keep in mind with the top mount setup heat will BECOME a problem. You have plug wire, plastic valve cover, etc. there. Many e36 have had problems.
I would definitely ceramic coat everything and buy a turbo shield. i would also wrap those plug wires.
no, i'm not cutting the manifold.

manifold is a T4 flange, i've got a t3 to t4 adapter, that doesn't raise it quite enough to clear the valvecover. i ordered a T3 to T3 adapter, one of those ones that adds a wastegate flange between the turbo. i will be using that to space the turbo further up. it should clear then, hopefully. the wastegate flange will not be used on the adapter.

i also got a wastegate angle adapter to move the wastegate out of the way of the ac compressor below.

i will figure something out about the heat. a turbo blanket will def be installed, and the essential wires protected.

also, that is 390 ft/lb at the torque converter, so after going through all the gears/differentials it will be less than that.
- SOLD
Old 08-11-2010, 10:44 PM   #73
cnotesdip

My Ride: 330ci
did you check out the manifold and adapters the technique tuning kit uses?
cnotesdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:56 PM   #74
gurov

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnotesdip View Post
did you check out the manifold and adapters the technique tuning kit uses?

they're the ones with that long tube that goes from the corner of the manifold for the bottom mount to hang the wastegate off, right ?

the manifold i got originally was an ebay piece, and the location of the wastegate port on that thing was not like the technique tuning, so i couldn't just buy the adapter, but i guess if ALL else fails miserably, i'll go that route.
- SOLD
Old 08-12-2010, 12:49 AM   #75
ritos530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by xixixi View Post
cutting the dsc doesn't work on XI, I'm having software issues after the rwd swap b.c of this. And BMW of NA won't reflash my ecu b.c of legal/vin issues. I'd really like to know more about the abs/dsc problems/solutions you are having/working out. However you have an AT so you are able to control more than with a M/T. Either way epic thread!! epic pics!!
Are you saying there is no button to turn off and on the DSC in XI cars or did you think i meant cutting the wires? I was talking about just removing the fuse as HPF did on their car and others are suppose to be testing this as well. Chris thread implied by doing this that they picked up 6 seconds on track times. I have the ability to turn mine off or on and surprise XI cars can't.
BTW, I don't have a AT I have a 6speed manual drive the guy who started the thread however is AT.

Old 08-18-2010, 03:47 AM   #76
gurov

topmount is a go

the wastegate barely fits, but it's in. decent amount of space around the turbo for heat insulation.

oil feed is done, going to run return tomorrow, keeping the scavenge pump for now until i decide to blow a hole in the oil pan for gravity return.

going going to start on the downpipe and hot side intercooler piping tomorrow, should be fairly easy to run ic piping hopefully.
- SOLD
Old 08-18-2010, 04:34 AM   #77
ritos530i

My man still at it. this thing looking good dude and I am glad we have someone like yourself around. Wish i can see this car in person.
I'll be looking forward to your updates. thanks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurov View Post
topmount is a go

the wastegate barely fits, but it's in. decent amount of space around the turbo for heat insulation.

oil feed is done, going to run return tomorrow, keeping the scavenge pump for now until i decide to blow a hole in the oil pan for gravity return.

going going to start on the downpipe and hot side intercooler piping tomorrow, should be fairly easy to run ic piping hopefully.

Old 08-22-2010, 06:29 PM   #78
xixixi
Banned User

Quote:
Are you saying there is no button to turn off and on the DSC in XI cars or did you think i meant cutting the wires? I was talking about just removing the fuse as HPF did on their car and others are suppose to be testing this as well. Chris thread implied by doing this that they picked up 6 seconds on track times. I have the ability to turn mine off or on and surprise XI cars can't.
BTW, I don't have a AT I have a 6speed manual drive the guy who started the thread however is AT.
When you remove that fuse on the xi's it kills the abs too. On most models you can press the dsc hold it and get your brake lights on. On the xi you can't press and hold you can only get the triangle lit. Non XI have two modes of dsc XI only has one. The T case on the xi is all mechanical not one wire/sensor that runs to it. When I made that post, It was earlier in the swap. Now I'm thinking the dsc doesn't work with any drive train parts. minus the wheel sensors once the slip is detected the brakes are applied not throttle cut. To sum it up I don't think OP will have any issues with the dsc. if anything it's gonna be the auto tranny.. I have a 5spd xi tranny for sale OP aren't you worried those coils will get too hot?

Last edited by xixixi; 08-22-2010 at 06:30 PM.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:13 PM   #79
ritos530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by xixixi View Post
When you remove that fuse on the xi's it kills the abs too. On most models you can press the dsc hold it and get your brake lights on. On the xi you can't press and hold you can only get the triangle lit. Non XI have two modes of dsc XI only has one. The T case on the xi is all mechanical not one wire/sensor that runs to it. When I made that post, It was earlier in the swap. Now I'm thinking the dsc doesn't work with any drive train parts. minus the wheel sensors once the slip is detected the brakes are applied not throttle cut. To sum it up I don't think OP will have any issues with the dsc. if anything it's gonna be the auto tranny.. I have a 5spd xi tranny for sale OP aren't you worried those coils will get too hot?
Thanks for clearing that up for me. I really wasn't sure.
Is the 5spd xi Tranny a direct swap for the OP, I think that would be a great idea if he is interested

Old 08-23-2010, 06:16 AM   #80
xixixi
Banned User

Don't wanna go too far O/T.The 5spd I have should work providing the t cases are the same. If they are different, I have a T case. In fact I have the entire awd system from my car. He would still need a clutch flywheel etc. Great project, great thread! If you need and D/T parts let me know.