E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 4.71 average. Display Modes
Old 08-23-2010, 07:05 AM   #81
wat3rbug

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325 xi
Dude your my BMW hero. I've been waiting to see how it can get done. I don't know enough about turbo setups to do this kind of thing. I've only gotten through page 1. I have to go to work, but I'm subbed.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:58 PM   #82
gurov

My Ride: 2004 325XI Turbo
Send a message via AIM to gurov Send a message via MSN to gurov
drove the thing tonight to the store to get some shrimp.

wastegate opens, and it's sits at like 3 psi or so... the very smallest spring that can go into a tial gate. this is from my old sentra setup.

i'll get all the bugs worked out in it at 3-ish psi, and then install boost controller into the management system for more boost.

still want to take over the transmission though.

also gonna go take more pictures of the snaky downpipe and tighten wastegate bolts, and drill the oilpan to add the return fitting. getting rid of the scavenge pump, one less thing to break.
2004 SE-R SpecV turbo - megasquirt3 j&s ultrasafeguard - SOLD
gurov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 10:00 PM   #83
gurov

Quote:
Originally Posted by xixixi View Post
Don't wanna go too far O/T.The 5spd I have should work providing the t cases are the same. If they are different, I have a T case. In fact I have the entire awd system from my car. He would still need a clutch flywheel etc. Great project, great thread! If you need and D/T parts let me know.
just for kicks... what would you want for the trans/transfercase ?

can it be assumed that the driveshafts should theoretically line up with the tcase ouputs ?
Old 08-23-2010, 11:24 PM   #84
ritos530i

My Ride: 2004 E60 530i 6speed
Send a message via MSN to ritos530i Send a message via Yahoo to ritos530i Send a message via Skype™ to ritos530i
Thanks for the updates, How is tuning coming along other then wanting to take over the tranny?

530i E60 Custom Turbo/Nitrous (PSI_unknown)
ritos530i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 06:02 AM   #85
xixixi
Banned User

My Ride: 01 330x-xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by gurov View Post
just for kicks... what would you want for the trans/transfercase ?

can it be assumed that the driveshafts should theoretically line up with the tcase ouputs ?
I can include both my shafts you got pm
xixixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:02 AM   #86
wat3rbug

Quote:
I can include both my shafts you got pm
Not to get OT much here, were you able to fully go RWD from AWD. I haven't seen anything yet on your thread except endless debates.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:38 AM   #87
gurov

well, this is pretty much the finished engine bay now. i'm going to try to get rid of the ls1 coilpacks and go back to stock COP units using a toyota camry 6 channel igniter here, but other than that, it should pretty much stay like this

i wasn't able to get rid of the scavenge pump, but since i put the underbody plastic back on, i'm a lot less worried about the pump getting messed up.

the added bonus of topmount is that there's nothing running below the subframe/snaking through the subframe:

2.5" downpipe mated to the stock exhaust via twin turbo supra Y pipe piece and vband.

downpipe routing, you can see the two vbands in the downpipe:

this is the piece that the flange/1st 90deg attaches to:

attaches to this piece up their-ish:

then to this piece:

and to the exhaust:

the wastegate and extension tube under the manifold

ic piping routing:

as far as tuning, it runs, starts, etc. just have to drive enough to get enough logs and analyze them to correct the fuel maps.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:59 PM   #88
xixixi
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wat3rbug View Post
Not to get OT much here, were you able to fully go RWD from AWD. I haven't seen anything yet on your thread except endless debates.
It's just a matter of working through it. I keep hitting snags that are slowing me down but yes the car will be rwd. After you buy a parts car and a new tranny your kinda committed

Man that stuff looks sooo tight in there you must have spent hours welding rewelding just to get it all in there. amazing!
Old 08-24-2010, 01:27 PM   #89
gurov

Quote:
It's just a matter of working through it. I keep hitting snags that are slowing me down but yes the car will be rwd. After you buy a parts car and a new tranny your kinda committed

Man that stuff looks sooo tight in there you must have spent hours welding rewelding just to get it all in there. amazing!
the first two legs of the downpipe went very easy, i spent 4-5 hours on the piece that went between the o2 sensor bung and the rest of the exhaust. it would just not fit.

compared to a bottom mount turbo, there's WAAAAAAAY more room to work with. i'm really glad i went this way. there's less intercooler piping, less compressor inlet piping, the turbo is not sitting where it can get splashed.

i still have to figure something out with wastegate dump, for now it's just breathing at the manifold there.

but at this time i'm fairly satisfied with how the hardware turned out, and i should concentrate more on the tuning.

one last thing i want to really do is get rid of the e-throttle, cause my controller isn't all that accurate.

anybody know what older manifold i can put on the m54 ? m50 ? anything from the older S engines ?
Old 08-24-2010, 11:06 PM   #90
ritos530i

Send a message via MSN to ritos530i Send a message via Yahoo to ritos530i Send a message via Skype™ to ritos530i
Super job man, as for the manifold swap out there is a friend of mine that i will ask tonight when he comes on line. He has a supercharger but converted this M54 to either M50 or S50/S52 i am not sure. I know he used an adapter plate or something to make it work. Had no problems since. I'll try and see exactly what he done and post it up on here.

Old 08-24-2010, 11:48 PM   #91
gurov

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritos530i View Post
Super job man, as for the manifold swap out there is a friend of mine that i will ask tonight when he comes on line. He has a supercharger but converted this M54 to either M50 or S50/S52 i am not sure. I know he used an adapter plate or something to make it work. Had no problems since. I'll try and see exactly what he done and post it up on here.

eh, i think i've got it covered now, found an m54 to m50 throttle body adapter plate for the m54 intake manifold.

i've got cable, pedal and throttle body sitting at home for the m50, so i'll be getting rid of the ethrottle stuff, should make it a bit easier to tune, this way i can run the engine at around 15-17 degrees advance at idle to get better vacuum, instead of having to retard timing to 4-5 degrees so it doesn't idle really high. should help out the off-throttle response slightly.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:46 PM   #92
gurov

now for some tuning stuff:

fuel output setup set to ms3x. full sequential, timing defines end of squirt, and the firing order for use in injector trim (trim is per cylinder as they appear on the engine), fueling calculation is set to percent baro, which makes it so atmospheric pressure is always 100 kpa line (100% load)

general settings, sets up barometer input, and the smoothing factors for inputs as well as overrun (letting go of the gas will cut injectors on decel to improve gas mileage)
this screen also sets up the behavior of the ve tables, "incorporate afr" means that VE table is a calculated amount of fuel needed for a 14.7 afr, then the AFR target table is used to look up percentage VE needs to get skewed to arrive at the target afr, so to change the AFR, VE table does not have to be retuned

probably the most important screen here, defines the crank angle pickup as a dual wheel with missing tooth. main wheel is 60-2 with the tooth #1 at 325 degrees. this was a fairly difficult thing to figure out, as i had to make my own timing marks, but this is pretty accurate for my engine.

crank angle signal is being sent to the main board vr conditioner, rising edge trigger. my spark outputs are going high (inverted), this is for ls1 coilpacks or an external igniter. if you were going to try to drive stock COP units via 6 coil drivers, this would be changed, i believe. i had it working at one point, but it was easier to go with ls1 coils and a custom bracket/wires. also, dwell setup is there. running wasted spark to ms3x spark outputs. i'll prolly rewire it to full sequential ignition to let the coilpacks cool down more.

the revlimit setup, nothing much exciting here

non-linear MAT conversion table, this is set up on a stim to not do any correction for intake air temps to aid in tuning

afr safety that i will be using once the car is more tuned, lets the engine shut down/misfire if the AFR is out of range under conditions. there is also EGT safety system that will shut engine/add fuel if it detects over EGT conditions under boost.

idle control screen. this is setup for 3 wire mode that's the stock valve on the m54. i'm not using idle control now, but once i add mechanical throttle body, i will be tuning this

and the ignition table that i'm using. i'll be finetuning this based on j&s safeguard feedback.

the afr target table, somewhat rough, but works for now.

Old 08-27-2010, 05:51 PM   #93
wat3rbug

Cool. I don't know much of any of that yet. But definitely cool.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:17 PM   #94
ritos530i

So have you drove the car since uploading these configurations and if so how does the car respond to base maps?
How did you determine Cool base rev limits?
Can you explain the MAT corrections a little more thanks.
Great progress

Old 08-28-2010, 12:47 PM   #95
gurov

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritos530i View Post
So have you drove the car since uploading these configurations and if so how does the car respond to base maps?
How did you determine Cool base rev limits?
Can you explain the MAT corrections a little more thanks.
Great progress
the revlimit just stays at 6600, no magic there, it simply offers the option to have a llower revlimit to make it more foolproof in case someone else drives the car and doesn't let it warm up.

the mat correction just counterracts the base intake air density calculation as dictated by the ideal gas law. this way I can tune with fewer corrections and as I see airtemp related rich/lean condition, I can use that table to correct for that.

I've been driving the car with these settings fine. its only at 3.6 psi for now until I get the boost control solenoid installed and run another vacuum line to the wastegate for proper external gate control.

auto trans seems to be holding up now. it is in a mode where lockup is used a lot, giving it a more manual feel, but it is difficult to get the engine to rev high with the auto, which should be solved by the auto trans controller.
Old 08-28-2010, 01:52 PM   #96
CJW2OO4

My Ride: LANDSHARK
Send a message via AIM to CJW2OO4
and thanks for this thread.
CJW2OO4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 01:03 AM   #97
xixixi
Banned User

Quote:
the revlimit just stays at 6600, no magic there, it simply offers the option to have a llower revlimit to make it more foolproof in case someone else drives the car and doesn't let it warm up.

the mat correction just counterracts the base intake air density calculation as dictated by the ideal gas law. this way I can tune with fewer corrections and as I see airtemp related rich/lean condition, I can use that table to correct for that.

I've been driving the car with these settings fine. its only at 3.6 psi for now until I get the boost control solenoid installed and run another vacuum line to the wastegate for proper external gate control.

auto trans seems to be holding up now. it is in a mode where lockup is used a lot, giving it a more manual feel, but it is difficult to get the engine to rev high with the auto, which should be solved by the auto trans controller.
I'm willing to take a loss on my 5spd(xi) I'll throw my tranny away for $135+ shipping. All linkage will be included, however you will need a flywheel/clutch/ecu reprogram) The issues you are working out with your auto are WAY above my pay grade. Kick it around... If you have any failing D/T parts/issues. I have everything you need, even if you don't need them now keep it in mind!
Old 08-29-2010, 08:52 AM   #98
gurov

Quote:
I'm willing to take a loss on my 5spd(xi) I'll throw my tranny away for $135+ shipping. All linkage will be included, however you will need a flywheel/clutch/ecu reprogram) The issues you are working out with your auto are WAY above my pay grade. Kick it around... If you have any failing D/T parts/issues. I have everything you need, even if you don't need them now keep it in mind!
oooh, i'll actually go for that, if anything, it'll be there when i grenade the auto.

i do need some more drivetrain parts, front left driveshaft's boot has been broken for a couple thousand miles so far, front right is about to fail, the rubber there isn't doing too hot.

no issue with ecu reprogram, stock ecus are not controlling anything anymore other than body/gauge cluster/minor things.

i'll pm you.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:14 AM   #99
ritos530i

Quote:
oooh, i'll actually go for that, if anything, it'll be there when i grenade the auto.

i do need some more drivetrain parts, front left driveshaft's boot has been broken for a couple thousand miles so far, front right is about to fail, the rubber there isn't doing too hot.

no issue with ecu reprogram, stock ecus are not controlling anything anymore other than body/gauge cluster/minor things.

i'll pm you.
Please start building my plug and play Standalone. I can even send you the DME if you need me to

Old 08-29-2010, 11:16 AM   #100
xixixi
Banned User

Quote:

i'll pm you.
My front axles have about 15k miles on them no torn boots rubber is still soft.