E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-25-2010, 07:35 AM   #1
wangx

My Ride: 325i
what is the best tire pressure for 255/35/18 on 18x9 rim?

I have 18x9' all around on my e46 sedan. Tires are 255/35/18 (Hankook Ventus V12 if it matters), square. What is the recommended tire pressure for this setup? It is my daily ride for commute with occasional spirited driving.

And also, should I have same pressure for both front and rear, or different? Thanks guys.
wangx is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:41 AM   #2
BMWespresso

My Ride: 2005 325CI
I don't have the same as you, but if it helps 17x9 245-40 Flaken 452 square and found 26 psi all around to be the best for me
P.S. how do you like the V12s thinking of going that route next time?
Old 06-25-2010, 07:49 AM   #3
kraimer

My Ride: -04-330Ci-
Send a message via AIM to kraimer
Look at your door tag. It will tell you exact psi for front/rear -just follow that
kraimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 07:57 AM   #4
wangx

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWespresso View Post
I don't have the same as you, but if it helps 17x9 245-40 Flaken 452 square and found 26 psi all around to be the best for me
P.S. how do you like the V12s thinking of going that route next time?
hey man I'm having the same apex arc-8

I haven't put them on yet so really can't tell how much I like about the V12's. But I've done enough research and talked to different owners. Finally selected these V12's out of Falken 452, General UHP, Nitto Invo, Yoko S.drive, and BFGoodrich g-force. I'll try to update you once I put couple thousand miles on it.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:01 AM   #5
wangx

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraimer View Post
Look at your door tag. It will tell you exact psi for front/rear -just follow that
thanks but the oem recommendations are for 225/45/17, not sure if that still applies to my significant wider aftermarket rim/tire setup.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:42 AM   #6
Redryan98

My Ride: 07 Legacy GT 5MT
Do you have an owners manual? The manual has recommended tire pressures for all of the available wheel combinations. IIRC it was around 32 in front and 35 in back but don't quote me.
Redryan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:11 AM   #7
djh1201

My Ride: '03 M3 Vert
You're probably going to want to run around 34-35 in the front, and 38-39 in the back (because of the low profile). If that set-up isn't too harsh a ride, I'd stick with it.

You're not going to hurt anything (including treadwear) by running 3-4 psi higher, and might even gain a little fuel economy. Also, will help make sure you have sufficient pressure when the temperature starts dropping this fall (I think you lose something like 1 psi for every 10 deg. temperature drop).
djh1201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:26 AM   #8
wangx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redryan98 View Post
Do you have an owners manual? The manual has recommended tire pressures for all of the available wheel combinations. IIRC it was around 32 in front and 35 in back but don't quote me.
I have both owners and service manual. will check on that
Old 06-25-2010, 09:27 AM   #9
wangx

Quote:
Originally Posted by djh1201 View Post
You're probably going to want to run around 34-35 in the front, and 38-39 in the back (because of the low profile). If that set-up isn't too harsh a ride, I'd stick with it.

You're not going to hurt anything (including treadwear) by running 3-4 psi higher, and might even gain a little fuel economy. Also, will help make sure you have sufficient pressure when the temperature starts dropping this fall (I think you lose something like 1 psi for every 10 deg. temperature drop).
I heard that people run 38psi with exact setup. Not sure if that's too much. Will give a try though.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:01 AM   #10
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
my door jam placard says 33psi for that size tire. 33 or 34, but thats what i run, regardless of rim size.
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:57 AM   #11
VMRWheels
Sponsor

My Ride: 1:25 Scale Enzo
Send a message via AIM to VMRWheels Send a message via Yahoo to VMRWheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by wangx View Post
I heard that people run 38psi with exact setup. Not sure if that's too much. Will give a try though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by snikwad View Post
my door jam placard says 33psi for that size tire. 33 or 34, but thats what i run, regardless of rim size.
There will always be a huge debate on what PSI the tire should be set at... All BMW door jams will have the recommended pressures but you can always adjust them to your liking specific driving condition/style.

What I recommend on doing is going off the recommended pressures and adjust accordingly from there. Do remember, air pressure does ride about 2-3 PSI during hot weather conditions, so dont over inflate or under inflate.

-Charles@VMRWheels

Facebook! | Flickr! | Blog! | Instagram!
New for 2014: V702 Multispoke | V810 Flow Form
VMRWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 12:16 PM   #12
blk04zhpcpe

My Ride: 2004 330ci zhp coupe
i think that 255/35/18 is what is on the back of my zhp and the door jamb says 38 psi for them. i have had sport pilots, direzza dz-1s, and general uhps and have used that pressure for all of them with good tire wear and gas mileage results.
blk04zhpcpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 03:20 PM   #13
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMRWheels View Post
There will always be a huge debate on what PSI the tire should be set at... All BMW door jams will have the recommended pressures but you can always adjust them to your liking specific driving condition/style.

What I recommend on doing is going off the recommended pressures and adjust accordingly from there. Do remember, air pressure does ride about 2-3 PSI during hot weather conditions, so dont over inflate or under inflate.

-Charles@VMRWheels
exactly, Charles youre 100% right.
with the pressures im at, and driving 200 miles each way to drill every month, and 40 miles each way to work, i have NO excessive tire wear, even in 101 degree heat. so i think my pressures are perfect.
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote