E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-25-2010, 09:15 AM   #1
DPF

My Ride: 01 325i Sedan
Strut rod/compressed spring clearance, want to be sure

I've done several searches in every permutation I can think of. Found a few leads that seem to say this is normal, but I just want to be sure.

I took my struts/springs/top hats to an indy shop down the street to have them compressed and assembled so I can take out the old assemblies and just put in the new without fussing with compressing/changing etc. I was replacing 90% of the assemblies anyway.

They're having a hell of a time getting the springs on the struts as the strut rod is short. Have others run into this? OEM sport struts and springs. Do they just need to really fully compress the springs to get the assembly together? They do have a wall mounted press. This is really starting to p*** me off as I need these for tomorrow. It should have been a 20 minute job with a real press, that was the reason I went this way with it.

Please, any input would be appreciated.
Thanks,
-DPF
DPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:51 AM   #2
DPF

My Ride: 01 325i Sedan
Just a bump.
DPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:36 AM   #3
e46junkie

My Ride: e46
Compressing spring for front strut

Any word on this? in looking at the parts I was sent in my h&r touring cupkit, its seems near impossible to get the strut rod to clear the spring even if the spring was FULLY compressed! Did your guy figure this out? I was thinking I was sent the wrong parts, but not the case. I wish someone had pics of a full install of one of these, but having a hard time finding anything with a search.

Thanks much,
-Ryan
e46junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:26 PM   #4
WTCCe46

My Ride: '04 325
I recently purchased an H&R cup kit myself and found the same issue. The fix is that you need to use a spring compressor that is made for lowering springs. That is the only way. I compressor for regular springs does not apply enough pressure to get lowering/sport springs mounted on the strut. That is the way I was able to get them on. Hope this helped...
WTCCe46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:33 PM   #5
Rif Raf

My Ride: 2001 330i w/ Sport
Recently did mine.

Took it to a local shop with a wall mounted press, and yes it was a b**ch. Just compress the hell out of it.

Tags
compress, short, spring, strut