E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:05 PM   #41
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud

My Ride: is totaled
i'm on day 33
i'm not really changing anything, i'm just lifting a heavier weight than when i first started p90x
although i don't have enough dumbbells to cover all my needs... i might go buy a resistance band to cover what i don't have

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave
Fill that hole in your soul by buying more material goods
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=15286051
buy my sedan rear seats (gray leather)

sell me sedan A pillars!! (black fabric)
XKxRome0ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:35 PM   #42
CMT247

My Ride: 07 VW GTI
bands are AMAZING, I love using them for shoulder/back workouts
CMT247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:38 PM   #43
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud

not sure if i should order the medium or the heavy bands...

Quote:

Old 07-15-2010, 08:39 PM   #44
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!

My Ride: M4 and RRS (sold!)
I use bands for kicking exercises.
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:55 PM   #45
CMT247

I'd say go with Heavy, you can always pace yourself
Old 07-15-2010, 10:01 PM   #46
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMT247 View Post
I'd say go with Heavy, you can always pace yourself
if you just step on it without looping and do a bicep curl, how many pounds does it feel like? 25? more?

Quote:

Old 07-15-2010, 10:11 PM   #47
M3Inline6

I agree. Go with a medium or heavy band. I found mine on Ebay.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:15 PM   #48
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
I agree. Go with a medium or heavy band. I found mine on Ebay.
i'm on http://www.fitnessfirstusa.com/details.asp?item=9163
it's $6.50 + shipping
same price for medium or heavy... maybe i'll just end up getting both O_O
if i order my whey protein from this site, i might as well add the bands and order together

btw... i'm still shopping around for whey protein for the best price

Quote:

Old 07-15-2010, 10:22 PM   #49
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud

bingo
http://www.fitnessfirstusa.com/details.asp?item=9162
medium + heavy + jump rope and other crap for $13

Quote:

Old 07-15-2010, 11:23 PM   #50
Mike Larry

My Ride: 575 nello
im curious...with all the money you're spending on p90x (with the video and equipment), would it be almost worth it to just join a gym?
Old 07-15-2010, 11:54 PM   #51
CMT247

Quote:
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox View Post
if you just step on it without looping and do a bicep curl, how many pounds does it feel like? 25? more?
Not sure. I use the gym ones, total crap shoot. In my opinion though, the resistance/feel is unique... Not like using regular dumbells
Old 07-16-2010, 12:10 AM   #52
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Larry View Post
im curious...with all the money you're spending on p90x (with the video and equipment), would it be almost worth it to just join a gym?
i didn't buy p90x
but i probably spent about the same amount of money on home equipment as it would cost to join a gym for a year

and i do have a gym membership
but i wouldn't want to do p90x in the gym in front of people
and i'm getting results
that's what matters most

Quote:

Old 07-16-2010, 02:38 AM   #53
CMT247

haha I was doing plyo p90x at the gym for a while... I'm sure I looked ridiculous... better than those losers doing their nails and not getting anything done on the elliptical though
Old 07-16-2010, 02:43 AM   #54
officer140

My Ride: 01 330xi, 99 TLR
Quote:
sorry to say... your post does have good points... but is riddled with a lot of unnecessary and incorrect info as well

and i have fixed my diet majorly since i started this thread anyway
i haven't had subway or any other fastfood for a few weeks already so that's not an issue
these days i eat a lot of hardboiled eggs, lean turkey and chicken breast, wholegrain bread, lots of green vegetables, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, natural peanut butter, almonds, etc. etc.
i always drink a lot of water
Please enlighten me as to what was incorrect
officer140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 03:19 AM   #55
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by officer140 View Post
Ok .... my 2 cents: Your diet/eating habits - all wrong! I did the P90X. I then had a sports injury requiring surgery. I was back on my feet 4 months later. Then I dropped off my motorcycle (less than a month after the full recovery from the previous surgery) and dislocated my knee and tore my MCL. That was a while ago. Anyway, I bring that up because my eating habits helped me remain (for the most part) in the same weight range. Take into consideration I was laid up for approximately 9 months in a row with no exercise. Your body weight and dimensions are deceiving because I'm 5'10" and weigh 215lbs. Even the doctor thought that was wrong because I don't look like I weigh more than 180lbs. So here's what you need to do. 1st, stop with the fast food! Yes - Subway is fast food. You want to get cut and see abs? Stop eating bread (at least the kind with enriched white flour). 2nd, eat less. I'm a bottomless pit so what I do is drink a bottle of water before I eat. While I eat, I have another bottle of water. When I'm done, I have another bottle of water. If I'm still hungry, I drink one more bottle. That's a lot of water right? Well, it is and you'll start peeing like a racehorse too. I used to drink up to a gallon of water a day. Don't worry about water weight - the high cardio takes care of that. You can also buy Xpel (spelling??) water remover pills from GNC. Eat every 3 hours 6 times a day. That doesn't mean pig out. Your portion should be no more than what you can fit in the palm of your hands when cupped together. Everyone has a different schedule but if you have a "normal" schedule. then don't eat after 6pm or before 6am. That's the hard part - worst case scenario, if you must, no later than 9pm. Cut out salt (sodium), sugars, and anything deep fried. Make sure you eat lots of roughage like salads, corn, fiber rich cereals, etc. Stick to that and you'll see results in 2 weeks when combined with the P90X. I hope this helps. I moved on from the P90X and am starting the Insanity program. I started it but had to stop because I have to train specifically for a course that I have at the end of this month. Good luck to you and keep up the good work.
drink water to fill your hunger?
limit portion to what fits in your hand?
you say eat every 3 hours x 6 times a day ... which would take 18 hours
but at the same time you say don't eat after 6pm or before 6am (or even the 9pm)
how does that add up?

drinking water is good
but
if you have to drink water to fill your hunger, that means you are probably starving yourself
that's why you eat snacks/multiple meals to ward off hunger and to keep your metabolism up throughout the day
and you don't want to starve yourself otherwise you will lose precious muscle
and you don't measure portion by "size" ... it matters how much calories/protein/fat/carbs/etc is in your meal
you want to balance your overall caloric intake and what percent of that is protein, fat, carbs, etc.
and you need a snack of slow digesting protein + healthy fat before you sleep to sustain your body during the long fasting period and slow down protein breakdown

http://www.mens-total-fitness.com/casein-protein.html

Quote:

Old 07-16-2010, 04:23 AM   #56
officer140

My Ride: 01 330xi, 99 TLR
Quote:
you say eat every 3 hours x 6 times a day ... which would take 18 hours
but at the same time you say don't eat after 6pm or before 6am (or even the 9pm)
how does that add up?
For starters, your math is wrong. You're viewing it as 3x6=18 which is basic math. But this is not basic math. It is a time frame which is spread over 15 hours with 1 hour left over after your last optional meal before your 8 hours of sleep. 15+1+8=24. It goes like this: Wake up approx 6am (breakfast/meal 1), 9am (snack/meal 2), 12pm (lunch/meal 3), 3pm (snack/meal 4), 6pm (dinner/meal 5), while lifting and not trying to lose bodyfat you throw in 9pm (snack/meal 6). Trying to shed fat? Leave out the 9pm meal. In bed by 10pm the latest and do it all over again. You still get 8 hours rest. As I stated before, not everyone has a schedule that can accomodate these times but this can still be used as a guideline to fit your individual needs.

Quote:
drink water to fill your hunger?
limit portion to what fits in your hand?

drinking water is good
but
if you have to drink water to fill your hunger, that means you are probably starving yourself
that's why you eat snacks/multiple meals to ward off hunger and to keep your metabolism up throughout the day
and you don't want to starve yourself otherwise you will lose precious muscle
and you don't measure portion by "size" ... it matters how much calories/protein/fat/carbs/etc is in your meal
you want to balance your overall caloric intake and what percent of that is protein, fat, carbs, etc.
and you need a snack of slow digesting protein + healthy fat before you sleep to sustain your body during the long fasting period and slow down protein breakdown

http://www.mens-total-fitness.com/casein-protein.html

Most people, not all, but most are overweight from overeating constantly. When you cut down portions, you still feel hungry because of the amount of space that is still available in your stomach. You have to allow some time to pass for your stomach to shrink, otherwise, you will not see the results that you want (unless you're trying to lose 5 lbs and that's all). You can still eat healthy foods rich in protein in small portions. Fish is a perfect example! To get the protein you need, do you really need to eat an entire salmon or will a portion about the size of a Twinkie be enough? Just a little sarcasm to get my point across. But seriously, along with a snack or two, you can drink a protein shake. Take supplements as well. Although you are eating less, it doesn't necessarily mean that your body isn't getting what it needs. The link you included actually supports what I'm saying. For example, you could take the casein protein as your 9pm snack. There is a lot that I can get into detail about but I was trying not to dissuade or bore you - that's why I tried to keep it simple in my original post to you. I understand the confusion I may have caused so I hope this clears some, if not all of it up.
officer140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:57 AM   #57
Mike Larry

My Ride: 575 nello
Quote:
i didn't buy p90x
but i probably spent about the same amount of money on home equipment as it would cost to join a gym for a year

and i do have a gym membership
but i wouldn't want to do p90x in the gym in front of people
and i'm getting results
that's what matters most
i guess im the opposite. ive been thinking about "buying" p90x just to try something different, but i have an aversion to working out in front of a tv in my own home. id much rather go to the gym everyday. i keep saying i'll just watch the videos and memorize the general routine and do them in the gym, but i dont
Old 07-16-2010, 09:49 AM   #58
217Bimmer
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
I've got a question. I'm ~5'10" and 145lbs. Lean everywhere, but that god damned belly fat! It's not a huge amount, but enough to put me in that transition zone between a 6 pack and nothing. Most of my exercise is running. To get rid of that am I going to need to drop 5-10 lbs? or is weight training/crunches going to turn that fat into a 6er?

My diet is pretty healthy, but should I cut out bread? I eat a sandwich made with 12 grain bread for lunch.
217Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:08 AM   #59
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud

Quote:
For starters, your math is wrong.
lol so people are supposed to be psychic and know that by 3x6 you mean =15+1

Quote:
Most people, not all, but most are overweight from overeating constantly. When you cut down portions, you still feel hungry because of the amount of space that is still available in your stomach. You have to allow some time to pass for your stomach to shrink, otherwise, you will not see the results that you want (unless you're trying to lose 5 lbs and that's all). You can still eat healthy foods rich in protein in small portions. Fish is a perfect example! To get the protein you need, do you really need to eat an entire salmon or will a portion about the size of a Twinkie be enough? Just a little sarcasm to get my point across. But seriously, along with a snack or two, you can drink a protein shake. Take supplements as well. Although you are eating less, it doesn't necessarily mean that your body isn't getting what it needs. The link you included actually supports what I'm saying. For example, you could take the casein protein as your 9pm snack. There is a lot that I can get into detail about but I was trying not to dissuade or bore you - that's why I tried to keep it simple in my original post to you. I understand the confusion I may have caused so I hope this clears some, if not all of it up.

once again it's not about physical size of the portions
you can get fat even if you eat only one meal a day
it matters what you're eating and the numbers behind it

you didn't say anything related to what the meals and snacks should consist of...
or at what time of the day you should be eating what
according to what you posted, as long as the portion fits in my hand, and isn't fried or got sugar or salt, i am good to go

Quote:

Last edited by XKxRome0ox; 07-16-2010 at 10:15 AM.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:35 AM   #60
M3Inline6

While I don't plan on interrupting the debate between the two of you, I tend to follow a similar approach to my eating. I drink A LOT of water (..usually a bottle about 30 minutes before every meal, and a bottle while I'm eating) because I'm a bottomless pit. It helps stave off my tendency to devour everything in sight. So in that respect I understand where officer140 is coming from.

Off Topic...

...Officer140, which department do you work for?