E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2012, 01:33 PM   #1
HPF Chris
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: 2002 M3, 2006 530i
Thumbs Up HPF NEXT GENERATION E46 M3 Clutch Disk PICS

Sound Performance pushed the limits of our Stage 3 clutch with 323tom's S54 Monster running Nitrous and over 800 ft-lbs of torque. The Feramic friction material held, but the hub center section didn't. We have been running a much stronger hub center section on all of our N54 (BMW 135 and 335) clutches and never had the need to upgrade our HPF clutch center sections. That is until now.

Clutches are typically rated by the Torque the motor provides, not by horsepower. We've run over 1,000rwhp on the HPF stage 3 clutches but not over 800 ft-lbs. Now that our customers are achieving over 800 ft-lbs, our NEXT GENERATION HPF E46 M3 Clutches are going to run a "riveted" center section similar to our N54 clutch disk in the image below. All HPF E46 M3 Clutches shipped from now on will be utilizing the NEXT GENERATION center sections.

HPF Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:42 PM   #2
Forcefed M3

My Ride: HPF Stage 2.75
sick!!!
Old 07-12-2012, 01:45 PM   #3
7to3_enthusiast

My Ride: '04 LSB 6spd M3
Wow. Unless this design was already in progress, that was one of the fastest R&D turn arounds I've ever seen...Extremely impressed!

04 LSB M3
6sp, BSW stage 1, 19" Forgestar, PSS's, MXP exhaust, K&n intake, h&r springs, koni shocks.
87 rx7 tII 6266 BB .84 a/r in the works
00 Saturn sc2, DD, 36+ mpg
7to3_enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:59 PM   #4
Commanderwiggin

My Ride: 900rwhp Turbo M3
So...you should ship one of these out to S.P. for a first hand test!
Old 07-12-2012, 02:03 PM   #5
MaverickM3

My Ride: gets badge
^^^ This!!! Let's see just how much stronger this new clutch is!
Old 07-12-2012, 02:16 PM   #6
02black330ci

My Ride: spaceship
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post
So...you should ship one of these out to S.P. for a first hand test!
Agree, lets put this bad boy to some extreme testing

02black330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:26 PM   #7
Sound Performance
Past Site Sponsor

Location: Well, Dick, here's the deal: I'm the best there is, plain and simple. I mean, I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence. You know, nobody can hang with my stuff.
My Ride: Is very FAST
See all of those little teeth that engages the pressed in section..... well they are now gone on Toms disc. I think that the rivet idea would certainly fix this issue!
Sound Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:56 PM   #8
MaverickM3

My Ride: gets badge
This thread is Winning.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:58 PM   #9
323tom

My Ride: Turbo 323 ;)
Hpf Chris called me today and is sending me one of these new clutch disks by tmr can't wait to see the results!
Old 07-12-2012, 03:05 PM   #10
Sound Performance
Past Site Sponsor

Location: Well, Dick, here's the deal: I'm the best there is, plain and simple. I mean, I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence. You know, nobody can hang with my stuff.
My Ride: Is very FAST
has anyone else broken 1 of these stage 3 clutches before?

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Bimmer App
Sound Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:27 PM   #11
DOC_Race

My Ride: 03 M3
awesome resolve Chris! In for the SP results on that nitrous monster
DOC_Race is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:36 PM   #12
HPF Chris
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Performance View Post
has anyone else broken 1 of these stage 3 clutches before?

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Bimmer App
Nope.

The reason the transition is so quick is because we've been running the rivited center sections in our HPF "Supra" Feramic Clutches and many of those guys are running over 1,000rwhp and 9 second 1/4 mile passes.

Chrisk.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:21 AM   #13
MSpired

My Ride: HPF Stage 2.5 e46 M3
Send a message via AIM to MSpired Send a message via MSN to MSpired Send a message via Yahoo to MSpired
That was fast and glad it's been sent to SP to be tested in the real world
Old 07-15-2012, 02:52 AM   #14
0-60motorsports

My Ride: E30 325ic & E46 M3
Send a message via MSN to 0-60motorsports Send a message via Yahoo to 0-60motorsports
Very Nice! You guys need to make a performance clutch for the NA S54 guys thats close to OEM Smoothness.
EURO 04 M3: GC Coils, Eibach Sways, PF RTABs, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip + CF Trunk + CF Rear Diffusor + CSL center console, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS Stepped Headers, SS Catless S & Res X-pipe, SS Race, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL Steering + CSL interior, OEM CSL Intake, EVOLVE Alpha-N Tune, BBS CH's, FX-R 3.0's, ST40's, DINAN Rear Strut Brace, BW Oil Cooler, 3.91 gears

Last edited by 0-60motorsports; 07-15-2012 at 01:36 PM.
0-60motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:27 AM   #15
InDiGlOM3

My Ride: HPF M3 stg 2.5
Send a message via AIM to InDiGlOM3 Send a message via Yahoo to InDiGlOM3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0-60motorsports View Post
Very Nice! You guys need to make a performance clutch for the NA S54 guys thats close to OME Smoothness.
I use to have a stage 1, its pretty much factory feel. but its been awhile.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:32 PM   #16
Bdave

My Ride: M3 HPF Stage 3
Nice one Chris! I have every confidence this fix will work since its existing tech already in other applications.

What about guys that want to upgrade their stage 3 clutches that have not stripped the gears yet? Can they install a new disc in their existing Stage 3 or do they need a whole new different brand (MC)clutch. 1800 is not a bad deal when starting from scratch but that figure coupled with labor is a fair amount when doing an upgrade!
Old 07-18-2012, 10:50 AM   #17
HPF Chris
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdave View Post
Nice one Chris! I have every confidence this fix will work since its existing tech already in other applications.

What about guys that want to upgrade their stage 3 clutches that have not stripped the gears yet? Can they install a new disc in their existing Stage 3 or do they need a whole new different brand (MC)clutch. 1800 is not a bad deal when starting from scratch but that figure coupled with labor is a fair amount when doing an upgrade!
So far we haven't had one slip unless it's just had too many miles.

One other MAJOR thing to note. the "triangle" removal of the edges of the clutch friction material allow for cleaner shifts. Many of us have complained about not being able to do the 2-3 shift. A lot of this has to do with the weight of the clutch disk. A lighter clutch disk can change rpm quicker allowing cleaner entries into the next gear. We are also able to increase the pressure per square inch by decreasing the surface area without compromising driveability.

Chris.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:53 AM   #18
0-60motorsports

My Ride: E30 325ic & E46 M3
Send a message via MSN to 0-60motorsports Send a message via Yahoo to 0-60motorsports
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Chris View Post
So far we haven't had one slip unless it's just had too many miles.

One other MAJOR thing to note. the "triangle" removal of the edges of the clutch friction material allow for cleaner shifts. Many of us have complained about not being able to do the 2-3 shift. A lot of this has to do with the weight of the clutch disk. A lighter clutch disk can change rpm quicker allowing cleaner entries into the next gear. We are also able to increase the pressure per square inch by decreasing the surface area without compromising driveability.

Chris.
Chris

How would you compare the OEM SMG clutch to the HPF STG 1 revised clutch in terms of smoothness in engagement etc. I want an OEM style feel and not aggressive. Thanks
EURO 04 M3: GC Coils, Eibach Sways, PF RTABs, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip + CF Trunk + CF Rear Diffusor + CSL center console, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS Stepped Headers, SS Catless S & Res X-pipe, SS Race, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL Steering + CSL interior, OEM CSL Intake, EVOLVE Alpha-N Tune, BBS CH's, FX-R 3.0's, ST40's, DINAN Rear Strut Brace, BW Oil Cooler, 3.91 gears
0-60motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:06 AM   #19
HPF Chris
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0-60motorsports View Post
Chris

How would you compare the OEM SMG clutch to the HPF STG 1 revised clutch in terms of smoothness in engagement etc. I want an OEM style feel and not aggressive. Thanks
The engagement is about half the distance of travel and about half as smooth as OEM. It is smoother engaging than any other aftermarket clutch I've ever felt other than direct organic OEM disks.

Chris.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:11 PM   #20
Bdave

My Ride: M3 HPF Stage 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Chris View Post
The engagement is about half the distance of travel and about half as smooth as OEM. It is smoother engaging than any other aftermarket clutch I've ever felt other than direct organic OEM disks.

Chris.
Yes, but dont you recommend Stage 2 for ALL HPF SMG applications?

On the other hand, stage 1 feramic would be OK for a Super Charged application less than 500HP? Or is it the torque figure you look at?