E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum

Motorsports & Track Forum
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-30-2010, 01:18 AM   #1
JamesClay
Sponsor

My Ride: Any BMW with 4wheels
BimmerWorld - E46 M3 Street/Track Car Build

Summertime. The racing season has slowed down a little bit and it is time to look at some non-race projects. In the back of my mind, I have been thinking for a while that I see a lot more E46 M3 cars at the track these days. Then when Grassroots Motorsports announced that their 2010 Ultimate Track Car Challenge (UTCC) would be held at VIR again this year, the wheels started turning.

Anyone know this car?
BW_E46M3STC

Unfortunately, it was rearranged last year at Mid Ohio, but maybe this shot of it is a little more familiar?
BW_E46M3STC (1)

The owner contacted me after the wreck with an offer to buy the car which he had fortuitously insured with nice trackday coverage from my friend Ryan at Lockton Affinity. So with the insurance company looking to offload what was still an awesome car and at a more awesome price, I jumped and squirreled it away thinking it might be a driveline donor for an S54 swap or something.

Then this whole GRM UTCC think popped up and remembering that I know a guy names Steve Bassen, bodyman extraordinaire responsible for many miracles in our race program, we shook the dust off of the E46 M3 that we had in storage. After a couple of weeks of his magic, the car was back in our shop and ready for a dose of our own.
BW_E46M3STC (2)

My goals in building this car is to build something representative of what people take to the track. We have built E46 M3 racecars and this isn't one of them. It is hard to contain myself to a good degree - I am working on the build list and surrounded by parts sitting on a shelf looking for a home. Compound that with the fact that I like to win and knowing I am coming into the UTCC with self-imposed limits isn't usually my preference, but I am going to do my best to stay true to my initial vision.

So what does this mean? I am going to impose some budget limitations. I am not going to name a number because frankly, I know I will let it creep a little to hit the secret VIR Full Course time I have in the back of my mind. But it means I am approaching this with some absolute objectives that I won't compromise on [much at all]:
  • This car will be street legal. Maybe not a date car, and you guys in CA may not want the CARB guys poking around, but it will have tags and an inspection sticker.
  • Nothing will be put on the car for bling. This is a performance car and in deciding the budget, the parts used will be to provide speed and enough flexibility to allow road use.
  • We will be making new BimmerWorld products for the project where none exist that fit the budget, performance, or quality (or some combination of all of these) that work in the goals of our build. Due to the tight timeline, we will be using prototypes in some areas or skipping some parts I feel are important and revisiting in future updates.

So for example, I will pony up for a Moton suspension so it can be mild on the street and fast on the track, both with a decent amount of spring behind it. I will NOT be throwing on big brakes - I love the Performance Friction parts we sell, they make a difference and are a good performance part, but the incremental difference in lap times doesn't justify the cost for this project.

With an event date of July 23, less than a month away, it is time to get started. I am usually behind the shop a little, and they have been starting on the roll hoop and some light stripping of the car. And since I am declaring some vacation time, I will have to catch up on the pictures and updates next week most likely.

Until then, enjoy!
James
www.bimmerworldracing.com

Bimmer World

Last edited by JamesClay; 06-30-2010 at 01:39 AM.
JamesClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:23 AM   #2
invictus

My Ride: M3, 749R, SV650
I am very interested in this.

CCW. Dunlop. Ground Control. StopTech. Hawk. Vorschlag. Rogue Engineering. Recaro. TCDesign. RaceTech. VAC. Motul. Vorsteiner.
Find me on track: 10/19-21 Sonoma Speedway // 11/10-11 Thunderhill
The story so far...

Fund my track car:

PM me about my: stock diffuser, stock trunk
WTB 1x Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec 265/35/18 (used is okay)
invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 04:28 AM   #3
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
Cool! Reminds me of my first DE instructor. He had a silver M3 like that with just a dinan suspension, PFC pads (not sure of the compound), and R-Comps on the same style of wheels.

I went for a ride when he drove in the instructor group. He passed EVERYONE. Can't imagine what the Bimmerworld drivers could do with this!
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 03:13 PM   #4
F360C

My Ride: 3er Coupe
Subscribed! I am liking the direction this project is taking... I also like how you are not going BBK! Last week I delt with Jamie from you shop to order a set of PFC 06 pads. I had them at the track this weekend and I totally fell in love. Much better then the Carbotechs I was running last season! I had to adjust my driving a bit but once that was done they performed amazingly! I must give a huge shout out to Jamie... he was down right amazing to deal with and his customer service have made me a customer of yours for life! Give him a pat on the back for me!

07 Z4 M Coupe AW/IR
306rwhp/241rwtq (Mustang Dyno)
F360C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 06:00 PM   #5
murph1379

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
Cool, I'll be interested to see where this goes, especially whatever parts you decide need to be created. (offset control arm bushings for more caster? Camber plates which locate the adjuster below the strut towers?) My own build has a fairly similar goal, (DD & national level STX autocrosser 330i) so hopefully there are some things I can apply.

For whatever it's worth, I think you can do DD comfort on track rates for a lot less money than Moton, my AST 4200s have served me well driving to work every day in the crap-road heart of the midwest in fixed back race seats. (though if you have the Motons sitting on a shelf, I could see how that might be a cheaper write-off for you)
murph1379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 06:13 PM   #6
JamesClay
Sponsor

My Ride: Any BMW with 4wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by murph1379 View Post
For whatever it's worth, I think you can do DD comfort on track rates for a lot less money than Moton, my AST 4200s have served me well driving to work every day in the crap-road heart of the midwest in fixed back race seats. (though if you have the Motons sitting on a shelf, I could see how that might be a cheaper write-off for you)
Not going to get in brand battles here, but it is bang for the buck and I am looking to maximize performance for minimal price. I intend to use a little more spring rate than non-custom AST can handle. The spring rate is critical to meet the time goal, thus the damper choice.
www.bimmerworldracing.com

Bimmer World
JamesClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:47 PM   #7
turbof128

My Ride: M3
Send a message via AIM to turbof128
subscribed.
turbof128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:38 PM   #8
CPLouie

My Ride: 04 E46 M3 CM
Oh I see a car up there that I know something about. Is that the infamous CM #175?? Oh it is.... Subscribed.. Chris
CPLouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:51 PM   #9
drivrswntd

My Ride: 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPLouie View Post
Oh I see a car up there that I know something about. Is that the infamous CM #175?? Oh it is.... Subscribed.. Chris
Haha nice

Boston BMWCCA chapter
drivrswntd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:36 AM   #10
iampoor

My Ride: Cervelo/M3
subscribed
iampoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:58 AM   #11
murph1379

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
The spring rate is critical to meet the time goal, thus the damper choice.
ok James, this is where you can't leave us hanging, what spring rates do you have planned???
murph1379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 07:01 AM   #12
Matt Q

My Ride: Jezebel
subscribed

M3. ONLY BETTER
Matt Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:52 AM   #13
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by murph1379 View Post
ok James, this is where you can't leave us hanging, what spring rates do you have planned???
I was running 700/750 on the street with Moton Club Sports on my E46...I imagine it will be a good step above that for VIR. The "Uberwagon" as I remember was pretty stiff for the 2007 UTCC...
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 05:06 PM   #14
shagwar

My Ride: trek mountain bike
this is going to be great. cant wait!
Old 07-03-2010, 05:13 PM   #15
dfjaws

My Ride: '08 E90 M3 / '02 Z3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
I was running 700/750 on the street with Moton Club Sports on my E46...I imagine it will be a good step above that for VIR. The "Uberwagon" as I remember was pretty stiff for the 2007 UTCC...
I didn't know yours were that stiff! Wow. Mine are 550/700 and everyone was telling me I was crazy. It's not bad at all, there's definitely forum fear out there about spring rates.
Old 07-03-2010, 06:53 PM   #16
m1356guy

My Ride: is worth $5k
this is gonna be epic!

And street legal???
Old 07-04-2010, 10:36 PM   #17
Drew@Swift Motorworks
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: Scooty Puff Jr
In for this one
Drew@Swift Motorworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 10:40 PM   #18
Gheybe

My Ride: F80 M3
In for results.
Gheybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:58 AM   #19
djnekkon

My Ride: MB3ci & z33 HR
great!!! let's see.

djnekkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 04:19 PM   #20
bimmerman25

My Ride: 2003 330 ci
cant wait to see what plans r being made for this car!!
bimmerman25 is offline   Reply With Quote