E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum

Motorsports & Track Forum
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-07-2010, 05:46 PM   #21
JamesClay
Sponsor

My Ride: Any BMW with 4wheels
Well guys, this may be longer term than I thought. The UTCC is 2.5 weeks away so I will have something close to what I want for that and then it will progress from there for some months I guess as the production parts come online.

Spring rates - the Uberwagon used 900F/450R in a rear true coilover. I tested with less and there was too much chassis roll. That was a 3400# car before I got in so it needed a bit to help it out. I just selected springs for the E46 tonight - 850/1000, stock rear position.

There is a little more to the selection process, but I owe a real update so I will work on that later. There is a lot going on to make the date, especially with our NJ race jammed in next weekend.
www.bimmerworldracing.com

Bimmer World
JamesClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:43 PM   #22
m1356guy

My Ride: is worth $5k

please update this thread as much as you can James!! we'd love to see how this progresses!
Old 07-07-2010, 11:46 PM   #23
JamesClay
Sponsor

OK, time to get you guys caught up on the progress. As I mentioned the timeline for the UTCC event is a scramble, so lots of things are happening quickly. And since I got a real, turn my cell off and leave the laptop at home vacation that I am just getting back from, the guys got a lot of work done while I was gone.

Including our web guru! I am posting some photos here, but there will be more photos and more details on our Project pages:

BimmerWorld - BMW E46 M3 Street Track Car

Before I get started with the update, I walked into the shop and saw this - thought it was ironic. My E46 M3 street car is up on the lift wrapping up some prototype tests planned for its little/soon-to-be-big brother next door.

First order of business...we need to build a rollbar. In 2007 I did the UTCC in my E36 Uberwagen - a 600 RWHP turbocharged monster that would do 170 on the VIR back straight. I thought it was pretty cool at the time to take a pure street car, albeit a silly one, and pound on the racecars. Stock seats, stock 3 point belts, no rollbar or other safety gear. Pure awesome stupidity.

Then at VIR in April at a Conti Challenge race, I was reminded of how someone else can wreck your day...

This one was only going about 100 when it backed into a wall with a little help from a guy who felt the need to get around me last minute, then freaked out when the situation developed. So if you do the math, F=mv^2, add 50 MPH... I got a lot smarter that day. So this car will have a rollbar, a RaceTech race seat, and Schroth harnesses - same as the Conti car that allowed me to walk away in April.

On the build sheet, I am going to cheat a little and call this a bolt-in bar because for most folks, the functionality can be duplicated fairly well with a bolt-in 4-point. This is still a street car, so no full cage allowed. And against every fiber in my body, I left the headliner and sunroof in the car also. But since the guys in the shop can knock one of these out, custom is always better than off-the-shelf, and it makes no sense for them to instead spend a similar amount of time wrestling a bolt-in in the car - we are off to the fab area.

Step 1 - prep the area. Pull the rear seats (I am leaving the side panels for now because the look nice) and get rid of all the heavy sound deadening. Heat and a putty knife always work the best for us

Justin making the bars

And Ryan on the TIG. The TIG is hard to use but the results are spectacular and you can tell from 10 feet if someone threw a cage together with a MIG machine or took the time to make it perfect.

Cage complete and being painted. First a coat of self-etching primer to keep the paint sticking.

One of those little street-car details. To get the main hoop tight to the interior, we have to cover the hole for the bottom mount of the seatbelt. And since we want to keep seatbelts for now to make it street legal, we add our own.

Engine time. We aren't going inside the engine, at least initially. We will be making well over 300Hp at the wheels on pump gas. Not a little over - WELL over. This one has been in the works for a while and is finally coming to fruition!!! Keep in mind as we go, some parts are off for damage repair still. And I am going to be a little cagey about revealing it all right now - its more fun this way, right?

The headers are no great secret for our race customers. The Supersprint guys make some nice stuff and at this point, based PURELY on power output, there is stock in Group 1, everything else in Group 2, and the big boy Supersprint Stepped in Group 3. They have recently come out with some direct-fit stepped versions, but for the power we are going to make, we opted for the older version that required an alternate section 1 piece if you are adapting it to an otherwise stock-style exhaust. I pulled these from our pile of experimental parts so they are used, but only on Sundays.

Aero. This was a big thinking point for me. I strongly prefer not to fly the big wing on a street car, but this is a street track car and I can justify anything. Especially when I have a stopwatch in my ear urging me on... Remember our immediate goal is a VIR Full Course fast lap in the UTCC. The pure fact is that in a car with enough grip to take the uphill esses flat, I can get through that section (those 4 turns alone - not South Bend) about 1.5-2 seconds faster than someone who has to lift. And in an E46 M3 with even stockish power levels and no aero, I can only get on the gas for little squirts at a time in the straight portions, even when I am willing to let it get pretty sketchy. Add in the other fast turns on the track and take into account that if we are hitting 155 on the back straight this specific wing is only costing a max of 1-2 MPH. So it hurts the budget (also remember that bang for the buck is a goal - there is a budget here) and I will have to make compromises other places, but for some good aero grip that makes everyone more comfortable and faster, I am going to do the wing and splitter.

Still in the fab area, we had the car on jack stands to get another set of hands in the mix. One of the most hated jobs on a car is the suspension bushings. They require pulling most of the suspension to change because they rarely come out nicely with a puller. For this bear of a job, we also pulled the diff, which will likely have to go back in with stock internals for now to meet the budget we are chipping away at with the aero. Tough yes, but the entire rear suspension is connected to the subframe. Measure your toe in 32nds of inches and then stick a screwdriver on the subframe around the mounts (or in the RTAB pockets) and see how much they move with a little pressure applied. Not going to cut it for the crisp handling I am after and since these parts will be further stressed by sticky tires and aero grip, I wanted something stiff. Remembering (just barely) the STREET portion of the project, I stopped short of full solid and went with Powerflex High Durometer parts. GC Spherical RLCA also in place to help with alignment.

And as today was wrapping up, this box of fun from the Dutch folks across the pond was opened for inspection and measurement. More on that part later (or you can go to the Project page and get a preview...

Bimmer World

Last edited by JamesClay; 07-07-2010 at 11:49 PM.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:25 AM   #24
PSangavaramM3

My Ride: 03 M3
Send a message via AIM to PSangavaramM3
James

Looks great! I cant wait to order the double adjustable street sport motons from you guys! I have been waiting for them for a few months!

-P
PSangavaramM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 08:16 AM   #25
m1356guy

My Ride: is worth $5k
looks like it's coming together quickly...keep it up James!
Old 07-08-2010, 09:47 AM   #26
SC_TR0JAN_M3

My Ride: 2004 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSangavaramM3 View Post
James

Looks great! I cant wait to order the double adjustable street sport motons from you guys! I have been waiting for them for a few months!

-P
werd... looking forward to those becoming reality!
SC_TR0JAN_M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:41 AM   #27
tonggi

My Ride: AW M3
wow project is looking very nice

Tristate M3 Owners. If you want interval oil changes for $95 OEM oil/filter included.PM me.
Need help with Suspension, RTABs, FCABs, Brakes, maintenance? PM me! M3F Profile
tonggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 02:16 PM   #28
cyberkaa

Location: Sunnyvale, CA <-- Ithaca, NY <-- dirty jerz (201) Useful Posts: 25
My Ride: E46 332i,M3;E30 325i
Send a message via ICQ to cyberkaa Send a message via AIM to cyberkaa Send a message via MSN to cyberkaa Send a message via Yahoo to cyberkaa
Subscribed.

M3 drive train conversion (S54 Swap, LSD, 6MT, suspension linkage) | UUC Stg 2 Organic Clutch | OEM M-Tech II Kit
KW V2 | BBS GT4 RE | Falken FK452 | Alcon 6-pot 365mm BBK | M3 steering wheel | Powerflex bushings

Quote:
Originally Posted by koven View Post
i'd rather be gapless with no bulge
cyberkaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:25 AM   #29
BimmerFerret

My Ride: 08 G37S, 07 Sky RL
Send a message via Skype™ to BimmerFerret
I'm interested! Subbed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxlo View Post
Class of '03, yet you're still an idiot. Whats your point? Do you really think that you're somehow a god because you joined a site before someone else? ****ing nerd.
BimmerFerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 02:26 PM   #30
I*do*Werke

My Ride: E46 --> E30
in for fun
Old 07-09-2010, 02:35 PM   #31
JamesClay
Sponsor

Nuts. The guys are flying. Driveline and suspension are now complete. Dynoing I think on Monday for our initial - with what we are doing we will have some tuning work to do so I am not posting any results until we are finished. But I will get more pictures up shortly.

Bimmer World
Old 07-09-2010, 05:02 PM   #32
VMRWheels
Sponsor

My Ride: 1:25 Scale Enzo
Send a message via AIM to VMRWheels Send a message via Yahoo to VMRWheels
Great work guys! Cant wait to see more photos and updates.

-Charles@VMRWheels

Facebook! | Flickr! | Blog! | Instagram!
New for 2014: V702 Multispoke | V810 Flow Form
VMRWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 01:23 PM   #33
JamesClay
Sponsor

Busy couple of days. The result - a car that is ready for a couple of finishing touches, a rough alignment, then some dyno and tuning work starting Monday!

Remember, for more photos and details, you can go to our Project pages and see the whole thing.

The guys are full steam ahead. Conti racecars are almost ready for next week's race and we are waiting on a couple of parts for some other larger projects, so the E46 is getting the love.

The car is on the lift, time to bolt on parts. The diff and driveshaft came out to do the rear subframe bushings. Time to pull the trans to put in the new clutch and flywheel.
BW_E46M3STC (25)

Now. At the rate stuff is happening, I would need a desk in the shop to keep up so no pictures of a newer piece that I am very happy with going on so you have to click on the following link to see it. This car gets the BimmerWorld Strapless Clutch/Flywheel. This was a piece we designed to solve a problem due to the enormous stress people are throwing into stock-basket clutches. The racers know what I am talking about - the straps break. So we got rid of the straps. Like a hybrid of the pure race 4.5" clutch like we used in our World Challenge program, but in the stock diameter. The cool deal is this also makes a nicely streetable part and is both light for fast revs and more importantly the disc is 1# lighter than a stock-based part, meaning less mass and less synchro wear. VERY important for an E46 M3 420G trans because the synchros wear quickly.

After the trans goes on, driveline and exhaust goes back in. Well not really back in for the exhaust - we made something fancy here! (disclaimer - the part was made and tested prior to the start of this project. When we have to make parts like this as we go, it doesn't go this fast) Here is a glimpse, more later. Remember that power number we are working on?
BW_E46M3STC (39)

Suspension. If you peeked ahead on the last update, you know these are the Moton Street Sport double adjustables. This is a prototype set, only in that we needed to put them on a car and verify dimensions. Since the main focus right now is the UTCC (the best single timed lap on VIR Full), and I will run sticky tires and the car has aero, I needed to spring the car up. This is where the Motons come in. I opted for 850F, 1000R spring rates which is a lot, but required to maintain the platform of the car without too much roll. The Motons can handle the spring rate - and I can dial back the shock settings for the street and make it a very comfortable ride. For reference, I have been running 800/1100 (different rear geometry) on my E92 M3 daily driver for about a year.

Enough talking. Here is some Dutch art. Rear will be getting Performance Friction Direct Drive Rotors and 01 pads and BimmerWorld stainless lines as well.
BW_E46M3STC (26)

Front mid-brake backing plate install. The brake backing plates are an important part of the cooling system. No budget for the big brakes I would like to have so keeping what we have cool is even more critical to extending component life and preventing fade.
BW_E46M3STC (30)

And front complete - Performance Friction rotors, brake cooling plate (hose not installed), Motons (compression knob on the bottom), and Ground Control Delrin front control arm bushings.
BW_E46M3STC (31)

Moving on. The front wreck from the damage was actually surprisingly light based on what the outside of the car looked like, but it did break the stock engine fan. We didn't want it anyway. On the track, these things have a bad habit of tossing blades at inopportune times (flying around the track) and generally in inopportune places (through your radiator). This Spal electric puller fan takes the clutch fan's place nicely and reduces some engine power loss also - all these little power gains will add up...
BW_E46M3STC (36)

What's that big hole for?
BW_E46M3STC (37)

That's what its for! Carbon intake plenum. Not the ebay junk from Taiwan. This is European-made with a proper structure and correctly designed intake runners. We are using the 120mm internal air filter version. And this puppy makes some power. Oddly enough, even with the increased plenum volume it makes more low end torque than stock too. There must be something to making the part right, not just our of carbon fiber.
BW_E46M3STC (38)

The business end of the brake cooling kit - the carbon air intake on the front bumper.
BW_E46M3STC (34)

And the bumper going on the car...
BW_E46M3STC (35)

Which is now starting to look nicely like a real car! Wheels are D-Force LTW-5 18x9.5 with Nitto NT-01 275/35 all four corners. We will be swapping out the tires for this event, but the Nittos make great trackday tires and will return when we wear out the fast stuff in a day or so.
BW_E46M3STC (40)

I will try to get another update up after we do some of the less impressive work - dyno baseline and rough tuning, suspension cornerweight and alignment, etc. Then at some point go over the little bits on the car that don't stick out as much. Or I might have too much going on as we leave for New Jersey and this will sit for a week. Until then...

Bimmer World
Old 07-10-2010, 01:33 PM   #34
scmgoblue

My Ride: 2003 TiAg M3
Lovin it! MORE!, MORE!, MORE!

How much $$$ for the carbon plenum?
03 coupe, TiAg, 6MT, TCK DA w/ plates/RSM/RCA, GC sway, MagnaFlow, KN 63, UUC SSK, pullies, Shark, Recaro, Schroth, StopTech BBK, SSR GT1, RD strut bars, Powerflex RTAB/FCAB, OEM LED tails, OMP pedals, VCSL CF roof, hood, trunk, diffuser, console, Odyssey, Kirk, Clutch Masters
scmgoblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 02:24 PM   #35
cyberkaa

Location: Sunnyvale, CA <-- Ithaca, NY <-- dirty jerz (201) Useful Posts: 25
My Ride: E46 332i,M3;E30 325i
Send a message via ICQ to cyberkaa Send a message via AIM to cyberkaa Send a message via MSN to cyberkaa Send a message via Yahoo to cyberkaa
Great update!

M3 drive train conversion (S54 Swap, LSD, 6MT, suspension linkage) | UUC Stg 2 Organic Clutch | OEM M-Tech II Kit
KW V2 | BBS GT4 RE | Falken FK452 | Alcon 6-pot 365mm BBK | M3 steering wheel | Powerflex bushings

Quote:
Originally Posted by koven View Post
i'd rather be gapless with no bulge
cyberkaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 03:34 PM   #36
Miko_10

My Ride: 330i 5 Spd
subscribed..
Old 07-10-2010, 03:53 PM   #37
SteelGray3

My Ride: 2003 slicktop LSB M3
Wow, can't wait to see you guys down at VIR for UTCC. I'm scrambling right now to get a car built to run HPDE1 that weekend. I'm probably gonna have to resort to renting a car though. Hopefully a Spec3 or something comparable. This build really intrigues me as well because I hope I can pull off an E46 M3 as the next track/street toy.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:04 AM   #38
Dadofour

My Ride: '91 325ix
James - You guys make it look easy!

SUBSCRIBED
Dadofour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 01:00 PM   #39
delirium45

My Ride: 2004 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
This Spal electric puller fan takes the clutch fan's place nicely and reduces some engine power loss also - all these little power gains will add up...
BW_E46M3STC (36)
James, can you please elaborate a little on how you mounted this fan to the radiator and how you modified the fan shroud to make both fit flush (especially the lower portion), as i just bought the same fan last week from you guys and am in the process of mounting it currently.

2011 Rocky Mountain Region GTS4 champion & "Rookie of the Year"
2012 Rocky Mountain Region GTS3 champion
Thanks Sponsors: SCR Performance & Built-by-Bones
delirium45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 03:30 PM   #40
JamesClay
Sponsor

We use our pin mount kit. Also, this is the model 400 fan - low profile puller - you may have opted for a thicker, high-flow version.

Bimmer World