E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum

Motorsports & Track Forum
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-21-2010, 08:14 PM   #121
JamesClay
Sponsor

My Ride: Any BMW with 4wheels
Our oil cooler solution is finalized and in production - BimmerWorld/C&R Racing E46 M3 Oil Cooler. The design for this piece comes directly out of our race program and we saw the temps fall about 30 degrees on install in drafting situations, which is where we were getting our highest oil temps. That reduction is over a normal, single pass high capacity cooler (like every other one currently on the market).

This is a direct bolt on replacement for the stock cooler - will require trimming of the plastic shrouding. Available with -10AN fittings for braided stainless lines or retain your stock lines to reduce expense.
www.bimmerworldracing.com

Bimmer World
JamesClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:09 PM   #122
JamesClay
Sponsor

Someone asked about retaining the factory belts. Here is the picture and a brief description is on our website:

BW_E46M3STC (64)

Bimmer World
Old 09-24-2010, 01:07 PM   #123
racerodger

My Ride: 325i 2002
James thx for the fast answer! So you had to drill a hole in the side brakets to fix them?
racerodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 01:11 PM   #124
JamesClay
Sponsor

No additional holes needed

Bimmer World
Old 09-24-2010, 05:31 PM   #125
JerryK

My Ride: E46 M3, 03 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
Our oil cooler solution is finalized and in production - BimmerWorld/C&R Racing E46 M3 Oil Cooler. The design for this piece comes directly out of our race program and we saw the temps fall about 30 degrees on install in drafting situations, which is where we were getting our highest oil temps. That reduction is over a normal, single pass high capacity cooler (like every other one currently on the market).

This is a direct bolt on replacement for the stock cooler - will require trimming of the plastic shrouding. Available with -10AN fittings for braided stainless lines or retain your stock lines to reduce expense.

This car (and this thread) is meeting its intended purpose James, I'm interested! I'm probably gonna be the first guy to buy this cooler but I have two questions:

1) You say on your website that "The worst way to attempt to get more cooling is to add depth - this adds capacity but the thermal efficiency greatly decreases as the air flows through the cooler, heating up along the way. What's left? A second pass through the air, or a two-pass system. By stacking coolers, we can strategically cool the oil in stages, achieving almost double the effect of the factory (or even high-capacity aftermarket) design."

Q: When you stacked the two coolers, didn't you simply add depth? The air that cooled the leading cooler is now heated and passes through the 2nd cooler no? I get that adding depth can still be beneficial.. what am I missing?

2) You also sell (and I own but have not installed yet) an oil cooler bypass valve (that effectively allows the cooler to be in-line for 100% of the flow 100% of the time). You also sell -AN Fittings for the oil filter housing (which I also own). I bought those in anticipation of sourcing a seperate oil cooler in front of the radiator (AA-style).

Q: Have you tried this new cooler without the bypass to see if it is effective? Or, should I not couple this purchase of the -AN Oil Cooler version along with the purchase of custom lines and an external oil thermostat: http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pro...p?Product=1226 ?

Jerry
JerryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 06:12 PM   #126
JamesClay
Sponsor

Probably won't be the first guy - or even the first guy in TX

1 - We did it in a much more clever way We have two temperature isolated zones, versus just a mix of fluid from a big single-pass.

2 - This piece works, independent of the parts you put with it. If you aren't using our diverter valve, you aren't running 100% of your oil to the cooler, but what you are running will come out of the cooler...cooler. So with the thermostat in place your oil will be cooler. If you need the next step, then you go full-flow and do an external thermostat if you have the need.

And if you buy the OE version of the cooler, you can always use our AN adaptor later to convert it to -10. I like using the stock lines and would probably go that route for most applications. Even on the racecars, we use a lot of braided Kevlar these days and braided stainless isn't a requirement for us for a lot of applications.

Bimmer World
Old 09-26-2010, 02:27 PM   #127
JerryK

My Ride: E46 M3, 03 Cobra
Thanks James, I'll be calling you tomorrow!
JerryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 12:08 PM   #128
JamesClay
Sponsor

Coolers now in stock!

Bimmer World
Old 10-25-2010, 07:56 PM   #129
racerodger

My Ride: 325i 2002
James did you left stock steering/airbags and did you removed the steering wheel lock? Are all airbags still activated?

thx
racerodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:49 PM   #130
JamesClay
Sponsor

This car had the SRS disabled by the previous owner. We still have the stock wheel/bag in place and no extra effort was made to pul the other airbags.

Bimmer World
Old 12-14-2010, 01:25 PM   #131
MrPedals

My Ride: E46 M3, Mystic Blau
California emissions

Is it safe to assume that if you live in California and want to pass smog legally, the only thing you can do to the intake/exhaust is an afe or K&N intake with a cat-back (from the secondary cats) exhaust + software tune?

Would it be possible to set up a CARB-happy sub package?

It's nice living here, but it sucks if you want to do anything fun to your car.
MrPedals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:30 PM   #132
murph1379

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
As a followup to that, who's going to create the first CARB-legal headers for the non-M? There is plenty of performance and weight improvement to be had, even while keeping the cats!
murph1379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:02 PM   #133
JamesClay
Sponsor

Fairly sure the only cats are in the header, the others are just resonators, so you can replace anything header back and be legal. Doubt we will put that much money into a set of catted headers that are CARB certified, but we will have an Epic tune that works with the cats and makes good Hp for cars that need to retain them for race rules or emissions.

Bimmer World
Old 12-15-2010, 01:54 PM   #134
turbo diesel

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by natty99 View Post
So with the motorsport CSL box and alpha-N tune, you were able to pass VA (emission) inspection?
Quote:
If you have to plug in to the OBD II port to pass, you have to have functional catalysts and the alpha-N won't cut it - both will throw stored faults visible to their computer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by natty99 View Post
so to clarify, there is no way to pass an emissions inspection using the OBD II port if alpha-N is installed on the car's DME?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cntrvrsy View Post
Even though you reprogram the DME to run MAF-less and everything works fine, is this solely because the MAF sensor is disconnected? Is there anyway around this so the DME shows the emissions test machine that all related sensors are fine?
Quote:
No.

We can remove check engine lights and make the ECU feel good, but when they plug in, their machine knows some sensors aren't online as intended.
Assuming you still have functioning cats (or simulators) so that the post-cat O2 sensors are giving feedback to ECU, isn't there some way to make Alpha-N tuning OBD-II compliant?

Good thread on m3f with a VAC box and it passed the OBD-II scan running without a MAF... does VAC have a secret trick?
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=333737
turbo diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 02:11 PM   #135
turbo diesel

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
The car is light (2900, no driver)
That is damn near 500lbs of fat trimmed...Wow!

So you stated in an earlier post you kept the sunroof (can be seen in photos) and didn't remove the airbags... did you keep A/C and stereo/speakers? Glass in the windows or Lexan? Where else besides the obvious (interior and exhaust) did the savings come from?
turbo diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 01:13 PM   #136
JamesClay
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo diesel View Post
Assuming you still have functioning cats (or simulators) so that the post-cat O2 sensors are giving feedback to ECU, isn't there some way to make Alpha-N tuning OBD-II compliant?

Good thread on m3f with a VAC box and it passed the OBD-II scan running without a MAF... does VAC have a secret trick?
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=333737
EDIT - after speaking with Randy @ Epic, the tuning will be emissions compliant if we leave the cats in, even with the alpha-N.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo diesel View Post
So you stated in an earlier post you kept the sunroof (can be seen in photos) and didn't remove the airbags... did you keep A/C and stereo/speakers? Glass in the windows or Lexan? Where else besides the obvious (interior and exhaust) did the savings come from?
AC and stereo gone. Glass. This is a street legal car. Read the thread and look at photos - all will be revealed.

Bimmer World
Old 12-16-2010, 01:53 PM   #137
MrPedals

I don't know anything about cars. Obviously.

EDIT:
Please, I'm not trying to be a smart-a$$, please help me understand!
First Catalyst? > http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...15&hg=11&fg=50
Second Catalyst? > http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...46&hg=18&fg=10

I need all of that garbage to keep CARB happy, correct?

Last edited by MrPedals; 12-16-2010 at 02:11 PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:34 PM   #138
delirium45

My Ride: 2004 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPedals View Post
I don't know anything about cars. Obviously.

EDIT:
Please, I'm not trying to be a smart-a$$, please help me understand!
First Catalyst? > http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...15&hg=11&fg=50
Second Catalyst? > http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...46&hg=18&fg=10

I need all of that garbage to keep CARB happy, correct?

what you have listed for the 'first cat' is what we in US have: cats in the headers.
in the link for 'second cat' what you see there with dual cats is what was spec'd for Euro M3's only. you have the other pipe shown one top with on straight and one resonator.

the only cats in a USDM E46 M3 are in the headers. keep those, keep CARB happy.

2011 Rocky Mountain Region GTS4 champion & "Rookie of the Year"
2012 Rocky Mountain Region GTS3 champion
Thanks Sponsors: SCR Performance & Built-by-Bones

Last edited by delirium45; 12-16-2010 at 02:35 PM.
delirium45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 02:51 PM   #139
MrPedals

Quote:
Originally Posted by delirium45 View Post
what you have listed for the 'first cat' is what we in US have: cats in the headers.
in the link for 'second cat' what you see there with dual cats is what was spec'd for Euro M3's only. you have the other pipe shown one top with on straight and one resonator.

the only cats in a USDM E46 M3 are in the headers. keep those, keep CARB happy.
Thanks!!
Now I'm a little bit less dumb!

EDIT: For a quick review of short-term usage of the PFC rotors and Pads go here --> http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...6#post12583796
I bought them b/c it seemed impressive for someone to spend over $20k on a car and not buy a BBK.

Last edited by MrPedals; 12-16-2010 at 03:40 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:34 PM   #140
JamesClay
Sponsor

Quick update. Have had the winter to make some of the longer term parts and they are starting to shake out. Just got all of the initial run of carbon parts in.

First the front:

The cheap plastic lip we had on for the initial event is now replaced with a proper carbon riser. Rather than something shaped like a train cow-catcher, our carbon riser is undercut - sloping back toward the back of the car under the front bumper. This maximizes the top surface area of the splitter to maximize downforce - always hard to get on the front of a street-based car.

To compliment the final version of our front splitter/undertray, we added dive planes for, again, more downforce. The headlights have also been replaced with carbon blanks and a ducted version to directly feed the carbon plenum is almost completed. The blank plates won't stay on the car for its minimal street use - if that still happens.

On to the rear. We love our 3.5" Race Exhaust - it makes AWESOME power versus a stock configuration, we have added resonated versions for sound control for those who dare to street it, and it is super light. And we have now gotten our newest prototype in that moves the single exhaust exit further left and adds a full functional diffusor - that snaps/bolts directly on in place of the stock trim panel.

We are using this car for testing for a Grassroots Motorsports article next week. To give true test results (braking performance), we have an AiM MXL Pista installed with brake pressure sensor. Cool system in this car - you can pull so much of the info directly off the CAN. This one is mounted on carbon flat stock - our new carbon dash insert didn't quite make it in time.

More later!

Bimmer World