E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-14-2013, 12:57 PM   #1
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Ultimate DIY: OEM roof rack and thule bike mount

OEM BMW roof rack

OEM BMW rack:
Profile 2000
Part number: 82710142220

OEM bolts:
Part number: 82799405589

OEM roof rack caps:
Part number: 82719402947

OEM roof rack landing pads:
Part number: 82799405590

Alternatives:
From your hardware store:
• M6x16mm bolts with 1mm pitch (Use Allen head or security allen head bolts, the regular socket will not fit if you use hex head holts). X4
• Metal washers (goes between rack foot and bolt head) x4
• Rubber washers (goes between rack foot and mounting points on the roof, not pictured) x4

• DIY plastic landing pads by cutting old DVD covers with double-sided tape at the bottom (not pictured but just go and look at the mounting points you will get an idea of the measurements). X8

Bike rack
Thule Roof mounted bike rack
I am using old thule velo vise fork mount bike rack.

Adapter (optional):
Thule xadapt9 for newer thule roof racks.
Thule xadapt1 for older thule roof racks.

Alternative for adapter:
Front (one for older racks and two for newer racks)
• 1.25 inch shank length allen head bolt.

• Ύ x 1 inch rectangular threaded nut for the front bolt (from local rack attack store).

Or you can use similar dimension thin sturdy rectangular washer from hardware store with the xadapt kits. The bolt head that comes with the xadapt kits are too small to hold the rack on the OEM gutters.

Rear:
• Thule rear plastic nuts x2
• Thule rear plates x2
• Longer bolts for thule (from local rack attack store):
3-inch shank length bolts with square bottom at the shank (to fit thule plates) x 2

• 4.5 inch indented thule Metal plate (comes with xadapt kits or buy separately from rack attack or from etrailer.com)

Installation
I separated the fork mount head and the tray for easy installation.

Front:
• Remove the rubber strip from the OEM rack.
• Slide the Ύ x1 inch nut inside the gutter with 1 inch side sliding in parallel with the gutter plane.
• Mount the head of the fork mount making sure the indentation at the bottom of the head is in the gutter.
• Install the 1.25 inch allen bolt in the fork mount and tighten it to the rectangular nut that you slid in the gutter. Takes a little bit of patience.
• Tip: Assemble the nut and bolt to the head loosely and slide it in the gutter then tighten it.

Rear:
• Install the 3-inch bolts to one hole of the thule rack’s rear clamping plate each as below.
• Remove the end cap on the thule rack.
• Slide the plates into the thule roof rack rear. (I put a zip tie to hold the two plates together for extra security but its not required).
• Mount it on the rear OEM bars.
• Insert the large 4.5 inch indented metal piece to the bolts at the bottom of the OEM rack.
• Tighten it with the plastic nuts that come with thule rack.
• The final orientation after the installation should be as the picture shown below.

Align and install the tray to the fork mount head making sure everything is straight and tighten everything down.

Cut the rubber strip to the desired length and install on the rack gutters.

PS: Do not over tighten; the nuts and bolts are very easy to strip.

Final product:

Go and install it on the car now.
Still have to install the yakima fairing to reduce the wind noise.

Picture of my fiance's old bike on the rack while picking it from the storage for tuneup.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:50 PM   #2
helmutm3

My Ride: 04 m3
I have a question. Is there any reason the rear of the carrier could not be mounted the same way as the front? Rather then using the two long bolts on the outside, you could do the same as the front by drilling a hole into the carrier where it sits on top of the load bar and using the same bolt and square as the front. I have a different carrier but want to get one like yours , I just dont like the rear mounting strategy. Do you think that would work?

Last edited by helmutm3; 08-14-2013 at 03:52 PM.
helmutm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:13 PM   #3
trj

^ Yah, you can drill a pilot hole on the tray and use the same technique as the front.
But then the tray will be held by only two bolts. It would wobble on cross winds with the bike on the top. This setup looks much more stable, and easy do dismount. Just remove front bolt for the tray and two plastic screws on the rear.
My front mount piece is locked, so no issues of it being stolen. If the thieves want they will get it any how though.
Other than that, thats how the thule bike racks mount, even on the thule racks. I just reused the hardware with extra long plate.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:39 PM   #4
helmutm3

Ok. I was just wandering if there is something obvious that I am missing. Once I get one I will give it a shot. Why not. I would like to get it flush mounted. I have the Oem sidearm carrier now. Its awesome but I want something smaller.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:16 PM   #5
trj

I was considering a sidearm too, but I got a good deal on the thule tray.
Alos, I feel fork mounts are more secured. Sometimes I have to drive mountain roads, I wanted something that can hold the bike securely on twisties.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:19 PM   #6
helmutm3

Correct, the bike does sway from side to side with the arm.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:11 PM   #7
trj

Ultimate DIY: OEM roof rack and thule bike mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by helmutm3 View Post
Correct, the bike does sway from side to side with the arm.
Exact reason I got the fork mount. Plus the arm doesn't clamp the bike frame, so no paint damage on the frame.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 01-31-2015, 11:17 AM   #8
ukohohs

My Ride: 2001 bmw 325ci
hi, sorry for bumping this thread back up but, i would really appreciate it if someone can tell me the exact part number for these bolt in the picture i attach. it was stolen from my roof!! [IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by ukohohs; 01-31-2015 at 11:18 AM.
ukohohs is offline   Reply With Quote