E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-17-2011, 09:08 PM   #121
mvrk10256

My Ride: E30 325i
Send a message via AIM to mvrk10256
Quote:
Originally Posted by oAllElseFailo View Post
Has anyone had issues with the 02 sensors hitting the engine? The guy installing mine called and said he cant mount them because the outlet for the sensors are right on the engine. Mine came with 4 02 sensor outlets and im almost 99% sure they're the right headers judging by the pictures from the other ebay header thread. Don't know what to do now..
you can only use the lower two holes. so the "postcat" holes in each sensor, butr the o2 sensors need to be in the headers before the headers are bolted in.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:11 PM   #122
oAllElseFailo

My Ride: 328Ci
Well either way if i can only use the lower 2 thats fine but he told me he can't even mount them because the pre 02 sensor outlets are hitting the engine. I have to swing by tomorrow to actually look at it but thats just what he told me right now. Didn't say anything about if he can put it on without using those outlets, just said he cant mount them.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:13 PM   #123
mvrk10256

Quote:
Well either way if i can only use the lower 2 thats fine but he told me he can't even mount them because the pre 02 sensor outlets are hitting the engine. I have to swing by tomorrow to actually look at it but thats just what he told me right now. Didn't say anything about if he can put it on without using those outlets, just said he cant mount them.
they should be no where near the engine at all. That doesnt make sense. I think he is doing something wrong. One should push into the body slightly and the other should mount freely facing out.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:15 PM   #124
oAllElseFailo

Alright well i'll take a look tomorrow. So to clarify something.. I thought you could use all 4 sensors with the 2 pre cats going in normally but the post cats need the defouler, but now from what you said, the pre cats arent used at all and i'm assuming then must be relocated to the drugbin?
Old 02-17-2011, 09:31 PM   #125
mvrk10256

Quote:
Alright well i'll take a look tomorrow. So to clarify something.. I thought you could use all 4 sensors with the 2 pre cats going in normally but the post cats need the defouler, but now from what you said, the pre cats arent used at all and i'm assuming then must be relocated to the drugbin?
I have an insane test tomorrow but I HIGHLY suggest you re-read the OP.

defoulers dont work. you can only fit all 4 if you use Anthony@bimmerbrake headers. you can relocate the two precats to drug bin and sim the post cats.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:35 PM   #126
oAllElseFailo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvrk10256 View Post
I have an insane test tomorrow but I HIGHLY suggest you re-read the OP.

defoulers dont work. you can only fit all 4 if you use Anthony@bimmerbrake headers. you can relocate the two precats to drug bin and sim the post cats.
Alright well thanks for your help and good luck on your test!
Old 02-17-2011, 11:33 PM   #127
deadwood83

My Ride: has an iron lung
Send a message via MSN to deadwood83
WHat?! You CANNOT relocate the precats. They determine many things relating to combustion and feed the info back to the ECU and tell it to adjust accordingly. You can only put the post-cats in the drugbin and sim them. The pre-cat sims are there for a reason. If you remove them from the exhaust stream then there WILL be consequences.

Basically: put the pre-cat SENSORS in the post-cat BUNGS ON THE HEADERS and plug/block the pre-cat bungs on the headers. Put the post-cat SENSORS in the drugbin and then SIM THE POST-CAT SENSORS.

If you need proof, read the first post of this thread. Do not skim. Read his explanation of what happens when a pre-cat O2 sensor dies (same as relocation).

Last edited by deadwood83; 02-17-2011 at 11:57 PM.
deadwood83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 12:37 PM   #128
mvrk10256

Quote:
Alright well thanks for your help and good luck on your test!
thanks, I am free now so if oyu have more question just pm me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadwood83 View Post
WHat?! You CANNOT relocate the precats. They determine many things relating to combustion and feed the info back to the ECU and tell it to adjust accordingly. You can only put the post-cats in the drugbin and sim them. The pre-cat sims are there for a reason. If you remove them from the exhaust stream then there WILL be consequences.

Basically: put the pre-cat SENSORS in the post-cat BUNGS ON THE HEADERS and plug/block the pre-cat bungs on the headers. Put the post-cat SENSORS in the drugbin and then SIM THE POST-CAT SENSORS.

If you need proof, read the first post of this thread. Do not skim. Read his explanation of what happens when a pre-cat O2 sensor dies (same as relocation).
+1 all absolutly correct.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:07 AM   #129
the_curry_man

My Ride: 2001 330i 5spd ZSP!!
Ok so here's my question, the last time I checked, and I'm pretty sure it's this way, my post cat o2 sensors are wired and in mu dung bin...the pre cat o2's are in the headers...so I have o2 sims but havnt connected them yet but soon will however I have heard from different people that o2 sims won't really do anything....

Here is the full story: me and my friends put headers in the car...some how the pre cat ones ended up in the dung bin and post cat sensors were in the headers...car ran lean, bad mpg, loss of power....so switched the pre and post sensors around...car ran lean, bad mpg, loss of low end power....but then randomly my car started to run rich, bad mpg, loss of power....turns out my Maf was bad and crankshaft position sensor was bad....got It fixed....get car back and it's running lean again but car is stalling out at high speeds when in neutral....mech tells me it's Ccv so I replace it and VCG at the same time....now my question is: I heard from one member that headers will only cause catalytic inefficiency codes, no lean or rich codes, but Another fanatic told me it will run lean and catalytic inefficiency codes will appear....I'm putting my o2 sims in tomorrow, but will that resolve my running lean issue? ( btw i have yet to get a catalytic inefficiency code)

Ebay Headers
Dinan Cold air intake
Orion V2 angel eyes
18' tsw rims
clears all around
weighted shift knob
CSL Front bumper
Red sharpie mod
Strut Bar
M3 lip spoiler
UUC Stage 2 Lightweight Aluminum Flywheel
UUC Performance Organic Clutch
Magnaflow Muffler
the_curry_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 01:37 AM   #130
mvrk10256

sounds like you got the o2 sensors backwards. this means that the o2 sensors that go to the headers should plug in on the left(if standing at front of car) side of the engine. the ones that plug in on top are post cats.

the other issue is that the precats have to be in the right order - your car is sensing the wrong order - so what you need to do assuming you have the right ones plugged in in the first place, is switch them. just unplug and replug should take all of 30 seconds on the sie of the motor. This is detailed in teh original post

Quote:
7. OMGZZZZZ my engine is loping and throwing miss fire codes and crap and I dont know what to do.....!!!!!!!!

It will be ok. This is normal. All you did was mix up the precat o2 sensors. basically you put two o2 sensors into the headers. right? and you plugged them into the harness on the left side of the engine. right? Simply go and unplug both of them, and swap the connectors. Problem solved.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:36 AM   #131
phamine

My Ride: 01 Orient Blue 330i
Send a message via AIM to phamine Send a message via Yahoo to phamine
Or just get cats. I was having issues with the o2 sims.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:54 AM   #132
Hector45

My Ride: 2002 OB 330i
If this install is done correctly, is there any significate loss in MPG's?
Old 02-25-2011, 12:52 PM   #133
mvrk10256

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hector45 View Post
no.
Old 02-25-2011, 02:53 PM   #134
deadwood83

My Ride: has an iron lung
Send a message via MSN to deadwood83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hector45 View Post
I've lost about ~1.3mpg over all. At cruising speeds I seem to get ~1mpg more, but any incline will send the needle from 31 to 20 or less.

Mind you it IS winter and my air filter hasn't been cleaned for 2k+ miles.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:56 AM   #135
e4Tsex

My Ride: '00 328i ZSP w/ 194k
Been watching this thread and the original for a few years and tonight I finally ordered all the parts I'll need for the project! Oh boy! oh boy! oh boy!

dr-z400s / cannondale caad 5
'91 BMW 318is -> '95 BMW 318ti -> '00 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330msport View Post
i heard that this cars go like 300k miles
e4Tsex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:43 AM   #136
mvrk10256

Quote:
Originally Posted by e4Tsex View Post
Been watching this thread and the original for a few years and tonight I finally ordered all the parts I'll need for the project! Oh boy! oh boy! oh boy!
gratz you will love them when you get them on the car.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:45 AM   #137
slammin_330

My Ride: is no ZHP.
Finally got mine on...after like a year. :/

Awesome. Absolutely awesome. My sim is in the mail, also doing the air pump delete, so I got the stuff for that and built the circuit.

Couldn't be happier!

>: 2003 330i : 5sp : Slicktop : SSK : Intrax : UUC Sway Barbarians : Kamei eyelids : eBay headers :<
Non e46
>: 1985 535i empty swap'd : 1989 325i M60/6 swap'd : 1993 RRC LWB M52 swap'd : 1994 525iT M30B35/5 swap'd :<
slammin_330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 11:00 PM   #138
xHero

My Ride: '00 328Ci
Installed mines about a month ago, had a problem with post cat o2s, they were both seized onto the original manifold, had to torch them off, now I just have the wires that connected to both of them. What should I do now? I have o2 sims, but no post cat o2's.

WTB: 3.46 Diff
FS: OEM Exhaust Manifold Gasket Set for M52tu (328/323)
xHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 01:34 PM   #139
mvrk10256

If you are not using the original o2 sensors. you can either get a used set of 02 sensors or you can buy some resisters to mimic the heater circuit.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:05 PM   #140
e4Tsex

My Ride: '00 328i ZSP w/ 194k
Hey guys, I'm in the middle of this procedure and was wondering what to do if the 16 studs don't come out with the nuts. Is it important to replace the studs with new ones or can I just leave the old ones in? Thanks in advance

dr-z400s / cannondale caad 5
'91 BMW 318is -> '95 BMW 318ti -> '00 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330msport View Post
i heard that this cars go like 300k miles
e4Tsex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diy, e46, ebay, headers