E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-07-2010, 03:48 PM   #21
delmarco

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
nvmnd.

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917

Last edited by delmarco; 07-07-2010 at 03:54 PM.
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 03:49 PM   #22
SweTurbo
Big Pimpin'

My Ride: 323i -98
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
for chrissakes what is the upper strut mount?
everyone has been throwing that term around...
what are the components of the UPPER STRUT MOUNTS?
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...08&hg=31&fg=10

There you go, #11 and #8 are known to give creaking noises , but you will most likely not be able to seperate #11 and #7.

This might not be your issue either , as #1 is most likely the culprit of this intense creaking noise (#11 and #8 is more of a snapping noise)

If i were you i'd go with an adjustable camber plate , it includes everything you need except #11,8 and #7(which you might not even need to replace)

http://www.nexternal.com/uuc/Product430
SweTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 12:01 PM   #23
delmarco

Pirate Ship Creaking Solved!

Quote:
My car had this problem a while back. I took it to the dealer and they said it was related to the strut bearings. Also they said their is some rubber around the bearing that was breaking down from being a "bad batch of rubber"!? haha I dont know. either way they fixed it!
http://volkswagenownersclub.com/vw/s...eaking-noise??

Old 07-19-2010, 11:13 PM   #24
Performedbeef

My Ride: 1999 328i
Quote:
Pirate Ship Creaking Solved!
Nice! So are the strut bearings an element of the strut mounts?
Are they among the parts in this diagram?
Performedbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 11:22 PM   #25
N89

My Ride: 330Ci
Let me know what you do to fix it, I always hear creaking when going over speed bumps, pulling into a drive way from the side (when one wheel is higher than the other) and when going over dips, and I always think "subframe" when I hear those noises it's horrible being paranoid
N89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:02 PM   #26
Performedbeef

Ok, I'm starting to get worried about this sound - I think it's getting louder and I'm sure in some way it's already damaging the car. The consensus seems to be strut mounts/bearings, so I'm going to get some new ones from ECS and take a stab at replacing them using part of this strut replacement DIY at bimmerforums. Not sure when I'll get the time, but I'll report back.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:06 PM   #27
N89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Performedbeef View Post
Ok, I'm starting to get worried about this sound - I think it's getting louder and I'm sure in some way it's already damaging the car. The consensus seems to be strut mounts/bearings, so I'm going to get some new ones from ECS and take a stab at replacing them using part of this strut replacement DIY at bimmerforums. Not sure when I'll get the time, but I'll report back.
Make sure you don't need front control arm bushings and or wheel bearings, that's what I need apparently and we'll see if it does away with the creaking.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:08 PM   #28
nightrunner20

My Ride: will eat your dust
Send a message via AIM to nightrunner20
pirate ship haha i love that. when I turn my wheel to the left or go over speed bump. I get a brake squeak. its really annoying. sounds like its slightly rubbing over the surface of the rotar.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:10 PM   #29
Performedbeef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineteen89 View Post
Make sure you don't need front control arm bushings and or wheel bearings, that's what I need apparently and we'll see if it does away with the creaking.
I might, honestly. I'm just going on advice from a couple threads. Control arm bushings would be my second choice.
Old 07-30-2010, 02:45 PM   #30
rshanley

My Ride: 2001 330i
I had the same noise. I replaced the sway bar links, lower control arms and bushings, and the noise went away. At 60k, it's not unlikely that you'd need to replace them. FWIW, I don't think it was the sway bar links. The rubber boot on one of them was shot, and they're cheap (~$20 ea). The ball joints were pretty shot, and the bushings were definitely shot.
rshanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 04:33 PM   #31
delmarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Performedbeef View Post
Funny my pirate ship sound went away completely on its own for the last 4 weeks. My car has been 100% silent since then.

But this morning the sound of the pirate ship returned out of nowhere. I also now realize that with the sound you do feel a difference in the steering when turning at slow speeds as the sound is made...like its hard to explain but it feels like something in the steering that is usually smooth or slick is now grinding like sandpaper or rusty plates. Its almost impossible to describe or even feel, but the minute the sound came back I pretty much went on full alert to see in ANYTHING accompanied the sound and I realized the steering was slightly rougher or grittier on a minuscule level

I've also heard other people on other forums say that the sound may disappear for weeks or months and then randomly return.

Funny that the "pirate ship" creak affects a lot of German cars specifically Audi and VW. Also the Subaru forums and light Truck/SUV forums have threads for pirate ship creaking. Only thing is all those cars are 2008 or newer model. Someone with a 2010 VW even said his car was creaking like a pirate ship 3 weeks/200 miles after delivery .

Last edited by delmarco; 07-30-2010 at 04:48 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:33 PM   #32
GCoop

My Ride: '04 325xi
Quote:
Funny my pirate ship sound went away completely on its own for the last 4 weeks. My car has been 100% silent since then.

But this morning the sound of the pirate ship returned out of nowhere. I also now realize that with the sound you do feel a difference in the steering when turning at slow speeds as the sound is made...like its hard to explain but it feels like something in the steering that is usually smooth or slick is now grinding like sandpaper or rusty plates. Its almost impossible to describe or even feel, but the minute the sound came back I pretty much went on full alert to see in ANYTHING accompanied the sound and I realized the steering was slightly rougher or grittier on a minuscule level

I've also heard other people on other forums say that the sound may disappear for weeks or months and then randomly return.

Funny that the "pirate ship" creak affects a lot of German cars specifically Audi and VW. Also the Subaru forums and light Truck/SUV forums have threads for pirate ship creaking. Only thing is all those cars are 2008 or newer model. Someone with a 2010 VW even said his car was creaking like a pirate ship 3 weeks/200 miles after delivery .
Since you said it makes the noise going over bumps as well without turning the wheel give this a try. Have someone turn the wheel while you try and feel where the noise is coming from. When you are close there will be no doubt where its coming from. I think maybe its a ball joint on your control arm.

I only say this because I have the same sound on my xi. happens over bumps and turing the wheel sporadically. I tracked this down on my XI to the inner ball joint. When I had my hand on it and someone was pushing down on the front end I could really feel it.

Last edited by GCoop; 07-30-2010 at 11:34 PM.
GCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:00 PM   #33
BimmersGarage

My Ride: E46 330i
Send a message via Skype™ to BimmersGarage
Yrrrr.... Captain.
Tis good that ther noises ar fixd.
BimmersGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:26 PM   #34
NeverSettle

My Ride: 2003 325ci
That sound is the sound of dry bushings or lower ball joints. If your gonna do your suspension I have a set of brand new sachs sports suspension front struts. Had them on my car for like a week at most. Swapped them cuz my lowering springs came in so I had a "Friend" get me another set to put in with the springs and my upper mounts(good condition) and I have a pair of OEM rear shocks S/S also. I still have my springs 96,000 miles on those. Let me know, I live in NY you can look at them before purchase.
NeverSettle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 09:21 AM   #35
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Hey I had the pirate ship creak. I fixed it by tightening the crap out of my sway bar end links.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:13 AM   #36
akhanaa

My Ride: 2000 323ci manual
Pirate ship creaking started about 2 months ago

Hi all, i have a similar issue with my vehicle (2000, 323 coupe)...74k on the clock....when turning the wheel to the left. or going over bumps.....the creaking starts...does not do it when turning right. On cooler days (75 F and lower) it dies down and then on hotter days (80 F and higher) gets louder as it gets hotter. Looking back at my repair invoices (from 2 weeks ago), so far i have replaced 2 Control Arm Bushings (kit with Retainers), one of the sway bar links, 2 Strut Mounts, left Tie Rod Assembly, Sway Bar Link, 2 Strut Assemblies, 2 Shock Absorbers (i am not much hands on when it comes to doing engine, transmission or suspension work)...total damage so far with labor...$2,800+...and pirate ship creaking still continues.

Reading the threads regarding this issue, seems like there isn't a definitive fix for this...Based on my short story...any recommendations?

Last edited by akhanaa; 08-08-2010 at 11:35 AM.
akhanaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 01:05 PM   #37
Performedbeef

Been driving the car with new strut mounts for four days now. Pretty sure that was the problem for me. Thought I heard the creak once, but it may hhave been my imagination. Also found out mmy struts need replacing so it could be that.

But I can say for sure strut mounts (or bearings?) qwere causing my car to sound like it was on the oopen seas.
it seems like that's not the solution for everyone though, like this last guy.

/phone post
Old 08-16-2010, 02:28 PM   #38
N89

Are you/were you guys experiencing creaking when going over dips like the kind they have in parking lots to help funnel water and when going up driveways? and speed bumps lol
Old 08-16-2010, 03:03 PM   #39
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineteen89 View Post
Are you/were you guys experiencing creaking when going over dips like the kind they have in parking lots to help funnel water and when going up driveways? and speed bumps lol
So your creaking is gone, 1989? But, you don't know whether it was the bearings or the CABs that fixed it for you...is that right?

I suspect every ball joint after I ripped apart my sway bar end links and saw the nylon socket the metal ball rests in...if the boot gets ripped and the grease gets out, water will carry enough fine crap in there to wear them out over time...and lost of weight is on them...on sway bars, tie rod ends and CAs.

Anyway, just thinking today that maybe my CAs are original and that it might be time...though it's aligned and beautiful now, I might have to get to them sometime this year...though I think I'll miss their nimbleness when worn down...loose is nimble; stiff and tight, not so much nimble, but very stable (at least with CAs I'm thinking).

Doug

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 03:48 PM   #40
N89

Oh no my creaking is still there, those are just the times when I notice it lol.