E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-16-2010, 03:58 PM   #41
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineteen89 View Post
Oh no my creaking is still there, those are just the times when I notice it lol.
Fk...sorry to hear it...an expensive non-fix for you! Unless it's a relative that owns the shop you go to, I think might be time to start interviewing other mechanics...or find a place you can work on your car yourself.

I'm pretty sure I have my original bearings in the front...back got replaced at maybe 150K.

Anyway, you might try tightening up the sway bar end links...and replacing any that have the boot ripped. If you had shocks put on anytime in the last year, I'd think those endlinks might be it. Why? Because if the guy who put them on didn't use a particularly thin wrench, he'd rip the rubber boot...if so, he'd then put that end up top on the strut and use a different tool on the bottom...a mirror and flashlight will help you inspect.

But, Del, I thought, had his creaking pegged with the strut bearing...no?

Did his sound come back? Will read later!

Doug

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 04:29 PM   #42
N89

My Ride: 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Fk...sorry to hear it...an expensive non-fix for you! Unless it's a relative that owns the shop you go to, I think might be time to start interviewing other mechanics...or find a place you can work on your car yourself.

I'm pretty sure I have my original bearings in the front...back got replaced at maybe 150K.

Anyway, you might try tightening up the sway bar end links...and replacing any that have the boot ripped. If you had shocks put on anytime in the last year, I'd think those endlinks might be it. Why? Because if the guy who put them on didn't use a particularly thin wrench, he'd rip the rubber boot...if so, he'd then put that end up top on the strut and use a different tool on the bottom...a mirror and flashlight will help you inspect.

But, Del, I thought, had his creaking pegged with the strut bearing...no?

Did his sound come back? Will read later!

Doug
Oh no sorry I wasn't clear, I haven't actually changed/fixed anything yet, I've just been reading this thread looking to see what it is that others replaced and if it fixed the noise.
N89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:40 PM   #43
delmarco

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
My noise went away completely from July 4th to August 1st then it came back a little louder than before and then it away again a few days into August and now it came back last weekend.
It's hard to diagnose properly when it keeps disappearing and coming back.

I feel like just getting rid of the car it is so frustrating.

DMAX the dealership's general solution to the creaking is the rubber upper strut mount seals/bushing rings wear off or split and fall off so you are left with some metal/metal contact which creaks when turning or the shocks are pushing against the strut cap.

The replacement rings are literally like $2 but the labour with alignment is like $500+.

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917

Last edited by delmarco; 08-16-2010 at 06:42 PM.
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 07:29 PM   #44
N89

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
My noise went away completely from July 4th to August 1st then it came back a little louder than before and then it away again a few days into August and now it came back last weekend.

DMAX the dealership's general solution to the creaking is the rubber upper strut mount seals/bushing rings wear off or split and fall off so you are left with some metal/metal contact which creaks when turning or the shocks are pushing against the strut cap.

The replacement rings are literally like $2 but the labour with alignment is like $500+.
Is that just a shot in the dark on the dealership's part? Because that's a whole lot of money for something that isn't even guaranteed to fix the problem.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:48 PM   #45
dmax

Unsolved creaking...sorry to hear it guys...guess strut tower bearing is out...bearings (?) out...not CABs...so that brings it back to ball joints I'm thinking...but I'm also thinking about prior posters thoughts about sway bar end links and think those do warrant a look...as I said before (maybe not this thread), my upper one was ripped during a shock replacement...I noticed it during brake work and replaced it.

I also posted a picture somewhere here of my end link ripped apart...and I can see how it going bad would creak...and resonate.

Maybe if you think of the frequency of creak, you might get a sense of whether it's an open metal piece, something buried within...1989...get a friend to stand in different places on a ramp that elicits your sound and try to run her over....sorry...I mean...get her to isolate as best as possible high or low, right or left...etc...maybe with a hose in her ear acting as a directional listening aid...would be some woman who'd do that I'd say!

Anyway, neither of you has done control arms yet, have you...or within last so many years? I haven't, and pretty sure mine are original, and mine don't creak...but that doesn't mean you might not have ripped a boot and be creaking coz some balljoint is dry...inspect every boot for tear (I hear that you might not see grease leaking...as it might be long gone). Failing boot failure, you look at other than ball joints. CAs, end links, tie rod ends

Any repairs you pirates have both had in common?

Hmmm, you check the caliper bracket.

Ah, how about that your strut cover or something is rubbing...shot of silicon? There's some plastic tube, don't know the name, that I'm recalling was a 'sound maker' in my E36...don't recall if strut has it.

Del, you don't know if they replaced a part or just sprayed it with something...or do you? You might try spraying some lube somewhere (sorry!)...if the sound abates again...that'd tell me that they were right in diagnosis but not with repair...I know, low odds, but mechs are human too!

Suspect everything and everyone!

You're both sure it's the front...right? Suspension related...not steering related...please don't make me reread everything again!

Evidently, not a frightening or dangerous sounding creak.

Okay, put me down for strut tower bearing or ball joint on something...let me know what I win!

Doug

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
Old 08-16-2010, 07:53 PM   #46
dmax

Quote:

Del,

Temp or weather related things can help...were those days in August it disappeared particularly hot or raining?

A recent set

Old 08-16-2010, 08:19 PM   #47
M323i

My Ride: 1999 323i
Send a message via AIM to M323i
had that same problem with my car, it was the ball joints...but that part isnt made anymore so I had to get the front lower control arm fixed, no noise and no problems now...hope this helps
Coming Soon
3)cold air intake
4)Projectors
5)New Suspension
6) Exhaust
7) New Brake kit
8)Sway Bar

Sign by Dealighted - Coupons & Discount Shopping

M323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:34 PM   #48
dmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by M323i View Post
had that same problem with my car, it was the ball joints...but that part isnt made anymore so I had to get the front lower control arm fixed, no noise and no problems now...hope this helps
Hmmm? Fixed? Sounds weird, although it sounds like a solution!

You can get CA for our cars...you can get every part for every bmw ever made. The OE CA is not serviceable, if that's what you mean, but they do make aftermarket CA that have serviceable ball joints. Maybe your shop actually replaced the ball joints in your arm somehow? Would be the first I've heard of this...though I know I've wondered whether it'd be possible to rig something up. You know what they did in any detail? Bet many here would be interested...if I could service my existing CA, that'd definitely be something I'd consider exploring...will have to start investigating my options for control arms too I know...I'm trying to stay in denial...I love my car just as it is!

Doug

A recent set

Old 08-17-2010, 10:05 AM   #49
Born Again

Location: Tis quite a statement. Where do you live - where do we all live? in our minds? our souls? our bodies?
My Ride: She aint much 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnltybox View Post
My car creaks when I sit down in it but I think it's just because I am fat.
i believe it's because the e-brake needs to be adjusted - but someone correct me if i'm incorrect

mine does the same
Born Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 12:05 PM   #50
jeremykrak

My Ride: n/a
Send a message via AIM to jeremykrak
mine creaks like a motherfvcker and i cant figure it out.

i had my passenger side suspension replaced after i got in a wreck, that side is smooth as butter, but the driver side creaks like crazy..... just like this. its so annoying.

so what have we figured out?

Strut Mount?
BallJoint/Control Arm
Shocks?

anyone?
jeremykrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 01:44 PM   #51
Performedbeef

My Ride: 1999 328i
Yep, I can say with 95% certainty that strut mounts did it for me. I'm back at school in Clemson, so in the past few days I've been driving in dry, hot weather, which was when the creak seemed to be worst.
For reference, my car is the steel blue one in the second video in the OP. It was pretty bad. I heard the creak when turning while stopped, turning at low speed, and over uneven roads at low speeds. That's all fixed. I used to be able to make the sound just by bouncing on the front left strut assembly too, but that's gone as well.

For those interested, I bought 2 of these Sachs strut mounts and DIY'ed it. You'll also need a spring compressor kit. I recommend this DIY for strut replacement.
Performedbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 07:10 PM   #52
M323i

My Ride: 1999 323i
Send a message via AIM to M323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Hmmm? Fixed? Sounds weird, although it sounds like a solution!

You can get CA for our cars...you can get every part for every bmw ever made. The OE CA is not serviceable, if that's what you mean, but they do make aftermarket CA that have serviceable ball joints. Maybe your shop actually replaced the ball joints in your arm somehow? Would be the first I've heard of this...though I know I've wondered whether it'd be possible to rig something up. You know what they did in any detail? Bet many here would be interested...if I could service my existing CA, that'd definitely be something I'd consider exploring...will have to start investigating my options for control arms too I know...I'm trying to stay in denial...I love my car just as it is!

Doug
I had that creak noise and I also had vibrations when I applied breaks but yes you got what I was pointing at, they replaced the control arm assembly/ lower control arm. I know the replaced the lower ball joints and lower control arms, not sure if the ball joints were with the arm assembly or not but i have no noise and no problems any more, you might wanna just take it to a local shop and see if they will look at it, they didnt even charge me to look at it. Worth a shot, hope it helps!
Coming Soon
3)cold air intake
4)Projectors
5)New Suspension
6) Exhaust
7) New Brake kit
8)Sway Bar

Sign by Dealighted - Coupons & Discount Shopping

M323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:26 AM   #53
dmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Again View Post
i believe it's because the e-brake needs to be adjusted - but someone correct me if i'm incorrect

mine does the same
I think the e-brake usually squeaks, not creaks...more like stepping on a mouse than a haunted house door....and sometimes that can be fixed by driving to 30 and using e-brake to stop...thus cleaning up the rust inside rotor...that or an adjustment

Doug

A recent set

Old 08-24-2010, 11:49 PM   #54
delmarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Performedbeef View Post
Yep, I can say with 95% certainty that strut mounts did it for me. I'm back at school in Clemson, so in the past few days I've been driving in dry, hot weather, which was when the creak seemed to be worst.
For reference, my car is the steel blue one in the second video in the OP. It was pretty bad. I heard the creak when turning while stopped, turning at low speed, and over uneven roads at low speeds. That's all fixed. I used to be able to make the sound just by bouncing on the front left strut assembly too, but that's gone as well.

For those interested, I bought 2 of these Sachs strut mounts and DIY'ed it. You'll also need a spring compressor kit. I recommend this DIY for strut replacement.

Yeah my creaking went completely away all week.
Guess what? it was cold and raining all week!

So there is some truth to the fact that it is dry hot weather that most likely causes the creaking to be louder.

But I now DEFINITELY notice that my steering "feel" is way better and tighter when the creaking is gone. When the creaking is present the steering "feel" isn't bad but different somehow (like loose feeling or lighter) from when the car is normal and the steering was tight and firm.

My creaking has been off and on all summer since June so I've been gauging all the angles of what the car is doing when creaking and when silent.

The dealership claims it is the rubber seals on those mounts that slowly wear away (or are faulty if the car is newer) and there is metal on metal contact whiles the car is turning or the shocks are compress within the strut mount tower.

In some cases the creaking is so loud and omniscient it seems like it is originating from something massive and vital that supports the car so it is embarrassing and scary as well especially if you have noob passengers in the car who go "WTF is that?" and grab on to their seat belts the first time the hear it.

But it is the seals in the strut mounts. The seals are like $3 at the dealership and the mounts are about $50-$60 but the shop labour is like $500 and up with wheel alignment after the work is done.

Last edited by delmarco; 08-24-2010 at 11:56 PM.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:52 PM   #55
Solo 323 CI

My Ride: 00 323Ci
I had this same noise in my pillowball camber plates. Sprayed some WD-40 in there and cleaned out the dirt. Brand new, no noise. Not sure if you can spay into the stock ones to see if it is the culprit, but worth a shot I suppose.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:26 PM   #56
N89

Quote:
Yeah my creaking went completely away all week.
Guess what? it was cold and raining all week!

So there is some truth to the fact that it is dry hot weather that most likely causes the creaking to be louder.

But I now DEFINITELY notice that my steering "feel" is way better and tighter when the creaking is gone. When the creaking is present the steering "feel" isn't bad but different somehow (like loose feeling or lighter) from when the car is normal and the steering was tight and firm.

My creaking has been off and on all summer since June so I've been gauging all the angles of what the car is doing when creaking and when silent.

The dealership claims it is the rubber seals on those mounts that slowly wear away (or are faulty if the car is newer) and there is metal on metal contact whiles the car is turning or the shocks are compress within the strut mount tower.

In some cases the creaking is so loud and omniscient it seems like it is originating from something massive and vital that supports the car so it is embarrassing and scary as well especially if you have noob passengers in the car who go "WTF is that?" and grab on to their seat belts the first time the hear it.

But it is the seals in the strut mounts. The seals are like $3 at the dealership and the mounts are about $50-$60 but the shop labour is like $500 and up with wheel alignment after the work is done.

I just purchased an H&R cup kit and will be replacing the rear shock mounts with some heavy duty meyle mounts and Z3 reinforcement plates, as for the front what do you guys recommend? I'm assuming some brand new front strut mounts, is that it?

P.S. $500 and up for labor? Seriously... I sure hope not..
Old 09-11-2010, 10:12 AM   #57
dimazz

Theres a few things that come to mind.

1.Strut bearings (agree w/ everyone else)

2.Steering gear - all of the e46 uses a ZF gear, they use a guide which pushes the rack into the pinion. Sometimes those guides fail or get stuck in their housing and creak around like this when there is force applied to them. The guide is on the driver side directly across from the pinion gear, there is a staked 17mm (i think) strange looking bolt in the gear housing. You must remove that to get at the guide. Use a high pressure grease to lube everything up and then reinstall the guide. You must mark where it was aligned as this is important. Also while the guide is out verify that the material which allows it to slide on the gear is not worn off, it should be higher than the aluminium guide...

Crawl under the car while someone turns the wheel, stick a screwdriver to various suspension parts and listen through it (unless you have mechanics stethoscope) and pinpoint where the noise is.....

Last edited by dimazz; 09-11-2010 at 10:13 AM.
dimazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:48 PM   #58
delmarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by N89 View Post

P.S. $500 and up for labor? Seriously... I sure hope not..

Labour involved removing an disassembling your entire shocks, springs and strut tower to get to the seals. And usually reassembly of suspension components require alignment...

at $500 you will be luckly to get charged only that. Shops around charge $500 for alignment alone. The best they may do is go easy on the labour fees for the work. So you can be looking at an average of $650 to $700 just to replace a $2 washer seal.

Last week was hot and dry and my creaking was crazy loud and steering felt loose. This week it was rainy and cool and guess what...no creaking at all and steering is firm even speeding, turning and braking over wet slick pavement on my 9 year old bald tires.

Winter and cool weather is coming for the next 6 months and about 3,000 miles of driving (I hardly drive winter months) this gives me a good amount of time to save up and replace my struts, control arms and tie rods and whiles doing this I will tackle the strut seals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimazz View Post

Crawl under the car while someone turns the wheel, stick a screwdriver to various suspension parts and listen through it (unless you have mechanics stethoscope) and pinpoint where the noise is.....
you make that sound so easy...and safe.

Last edited by delmarco; 10-01-2010 at 10:55 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:21 AM   #59
///Flash
Banned

My Ride: a donkey
tag for suspension creaking noise
///Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 12:03 AM   #60
delmarco

Hey Flash.