E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-02-2010, 02:39 PM   #1
Nachos23

My Ride: 2004 330Xi
Send a message via MSN to Nachos23
Talking DCT Shifter retro-fit into e46

Some of you might have seen my previous posting in regards to trying to get a DCT electronic shifter to work in an e46.... http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...701&highlight= or previous to that ....http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...381&highlight=

Well, I can close those threads down. Got all my answers from tracing out circuitry and metering out voltages, etc. Have to thank Arty for the idea of isolating the selector switch (had thought of it Arty, didn't think it was isolated like that) and Delmarco for getting me interested in the mod in the first place. Not going to repeat mechanical steps, Delmarco covered them extremely well in his post http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=760259

Well, got it working by isolating the selector switch; applying power to the common terminal vs. grounding as it was originally connected. Moved cables and terminals from existing lighting panel (bought to be salvaged) and extended the data cable on the DCT shifter (actually nicked it when drilling out the centre of the shifter to allow installation on the stock e46 stock, so I had to remove and recrimp connector; so extended it another 6 inches)....

That addressed the PRND lights, but I had to use a micro relay and another series resistor and diode (to replacate original diode betweens pins 1 & 3 on X1600) and then use the ground connection to close relay. Other side of relay runs batt voltage through 610ohm resistor to drop voltage to power M/S LED. Only thing I've not addressed (would require a little more circuitry (maybe version 2 LOL) is that the D LED remains on when the M/S LED is lit. Personally, I like it, but could design a cancellation circuit to turn of D LED when M/S selected (like I said, maybe version 2). Going to add 0.5A micro fuse to both power lines on board (batt and dimmer) to protect incase of short and will eventually put cover on box to close. Right now tucked next to lighter under console. Ribbon cable is routed so it rests on Shift release motor and seems to move freely in all positions.... Will check in a few weeks and see if there are any rub marks present...

Here's the pics.

Final assembly.... Nice and neat!!

Still need to integrate electronic shift lock into P switch on shifter. Maybe this weekend....

Build thread started.

Last edited by Nachos23; 07-02-2010 at 02:54 PM.
Nachos23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-03-2010, 01:22 PM   #2
burtonml

My Ride: 02 325i
Will you be able to show us how all this is done or is it to complicated. It looks a little complicated.
burtonml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 08:03 PM   #3
Nachos23

Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonml View Post
Will you be able to show us how all this is done or is it to complicated. It looks a little complicated.
Going to post DIY with schematic. Will require some technical knowledge to build circuit. Installation is not difficult. That's fairly easy to explain.

If you can read schematics, circuit consists of 2 resistors, relay and the 3 connectors used in current setup. Took those from a console I bought to teSt and salvage parts from. You can buy the connectors from BMW as well (not sure of part numbers, will try to identify). I wanted to design mod (like all I do) to be completely reversable and leave no footprint. Ultimately, most of the work is done extending cables and building the small circuit board). Maybe I should put together as a complete kit?? Hummmm

Build thread started.

Old 07-10-2010, 12:19 PM   #4
delmarco

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Awesome!
Thanks Nachos!!!!!

I will reference this thread in future.

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 12:56 PM   #5
Nachos23

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
Awesome!
Thanks Nachos!!!!!

I will reference this thread in future.
Isn't that what Excel calls a circular reference? You're gonna reference this thread, I reference yours..... LOL

BTW: e38 cup holder installed into rear seat too..... Beauty@!!

What can we do NOW to top the DCT shifter???

UMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Build thread started.

Old 07-11-2010, 09:25 PM   #6
Nachos23

Updated pics......

Tried a night shot using BB..... Not great, but gives the idea....

Centre console painted now; getting Plasti-Dip later this week and will post after that's completed....

Build thread started.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:54 AM   #7
Nachos23

I think I've managed to get Redlinegoods (www.redlinegoods.com) to make a custom shift boot to match the new red CF interior I will be wrapping this weekend. If it looks as good as I suspect, I'm going to have to sell my current set next week!! anyone interested in a complete 9 piece set? includes all standard interior trim and centre console....

Build thread started.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:50 PM   #8
Arty

My Ride: 1999 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachos23 View Post
What can we do NOW to top the DCT shifter???

UMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
did you notice the four pads on the DCT shifter for buttons?
Arty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:22 PM   #9
Nachos23

No, but I will take a closer look. The 4 pads @ top u mean? those operate P button..... are there others I'm unaware of?

Build thread started.

Old 08-10-2010, 02:38 AM   #10
Arty

Quote:
No, but I will take a closer look. The 4 pads @ top u mean? those operate P button..... are there others I'm unaware of?
I was just being facetious. Do all 4 operate the P button? It would be a lot of work to the plastic to make buttons, and frankly, I can't think of any more buttons you need.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:50 PM   #11
Nachos23

got me

I had a ton of emails I was going through and PMs and just was in "respond" mode.

Actually the 2 buttons on the left and the 2 on the right are in parallel so they terminate to two pins on the connector. Was going to use it for electronic shift lock, but BMW TCU coding won't release master shift lock until is @ less than 5km/hr and brak applied. so it sits idle now

Build thread started.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:38 AM   #12
Arty

Quote:
got me

I had a ton of emails I was going through and PMs and just was in "respond" mode.

Actually the 2 buttons on the left and the 2 on the right are in parallel so they terminate to two pins on the connector. Was going to use it for electronic shift lock, but BMW TCU coding won't release master shift lock until is @ less than 5km/hr and brak applied. so it sits idle now
Turbo boost button?
Old 08-11-2010, 02:13 PM   #13
Nachos23

Naw NOS button!!!! problem is some unsuspecting person (likely the wife) will press P trying to park and instead hit NOS and my car will be featured on YouTube as she propels through the air into some object.... great You TUbe stuff!!!

Build thread started.

Last edited by Nachos23; 08-11-2010 at 02:15 PM.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:53 PM   #14
Nachos23

Received my new shift + e-brake boots and armrest cover.... Got the shifter boot installed (temporarily); waiting for my buddy to come by and help install permanently and assist in swapping e-brake and armrest covers.

Original automatic shifter plate still installed under the boot and is actually pressed fitted (with some 3m tape) into base..... will change once finalized..... probably during the week.

Here are a couple of pictures......

Boot a little tight @ moment when in park, but hangs nicely when in gear.... May order slightly longer boot if really needs it (this one is 1" longer than stock standard boot (estimated).....

Build thread started.

Old 10-10-2010, 01:46 PM   #15
1st_ID_Vet

My Ride: 2004 325XI
Very nice writeup. I have a question. When replacing the shifter trim; after removing it and doing all that I notice that my trim has a lip that does not seat properly. The lip of the trim is closest to the cup holder. Anyone know how to seat this properly?
1st_ID_Vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 03:28 PM   #16
Nachos23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st_ID_Vet View Post
Very nice writeup. I have a question. When replacing the shifter trim; after removing it and doing all that I notice that my trim has a lip that does not seat properly. The lip of the trim is closest to the cup holder. Anyone know how to seat this properly?
There are two clips in the front that clip to the piece in front. Make sure the front piece is properly mounted and the two screws at bottom of bezel are tightened. Then, ensure you clip the surround into the front bezel and push forward and down and piece should seat. Once seated; secure it with the 2 screws.... If it won't seat properly, make sure the area under the clips is free of any blockage..... if still a "no-go", then remove surround again enough to expose front trim screws and loosen them. then try to install and seat surround..... it should fit then (tighten all screws ensuring to hold parts so they don't move) or lastly, whatever was done to it has altered the part and the surround itself needs to be trimmed.

Good luck!!

Build thread started.

Old 12-26-2010, 06:53 PM   #17
schulrog

My Ride: 645Ci
your vehicle doesn't shift into DS mode when shifting the shiftknob over to DS though. Am I right?

Last edited by schulrog; 12-26-2010 at 06:55 PM.
schulrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:21 PM   #18
Nachos23 @ carbon-effects.com
Carbon-Effects.com

Send a message via MSN to Nachos23 @ carbon-effects.com
DS mode? The shifter is fully fucntional. When I move the lever to the left, it goes into Sport Auto mode and if I move it either way, it goes into Steptronic mode (what my car supports). I didn't change the actual tranny which would be required for fulll DCT support. But it does work in all modes my car supports...... Noticed your ride..... It comes from a 2010 650Ci Sport package, so it did require a complete re-wiring of the shifter assembly to get it to work.......
Nachos23 @ carbon-effects.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:14 AM   #19
Hageee

My Ride: E46 330xiA
Send a message via ICQ to Hageee
ia there a way to got the shifter shorter? i want it like a short shift ...
Hageee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:47 AM   #20
burtonml

My Ride: 02 325i
I was actually thinking of doing the same. The only way that i see is to cut the shifter shaft shorter. Which is obviously a permanent MOD.
burtonml is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, dct, diy, retrofit, shifter