E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing
Get detailing answers and tips here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-07-2010, 03:14 PM   #1
///mshu

My Ride: E34->E46->E28->E34!
Wax dried in the sun ... how to remove?

I know, this was one of the dumbest things I've done in a long long time ...

But I applied the wax while inside the garage, then backed out in order to clean the interior while waiting for the wax to dry.

Problem was, my hood and some of the roof was in direct sunlight for that time...

I then spent hours trying to remove the wax (just from the hood), and I could only "buff" off a very small bit of it by rubbing as hard as I possibly could with a plush MF towel on the paint.

Good news is, it doesn't (yet) to appear to have scratched or marred much if at all... but there is still some leftover dried / baked wax even after washing the car again about 2 weeks later.

When I was "buffing" the wax off, I tried so many different things to remove it to no avail...

-Stoner Tarminator
-Isopropyl alcohol/distilled h2o mixture
-PB S&W
-Clay + PB S&W for lube

Any experts have a recommendation for removing the small patches of leftover wax??? I'm out of ideas, and am approaching the conclusion that it will need to be polished out with a AiO or something like that which would require removing the FMJ & Natty's wax...

I have searched far and wide for an answer here and I'm guessing it's either so obvious that nobody would ask ... or nobody has ever done something this stupid before...

Pls help
'91 Schwartz 525i/5 ... DD

Last edited by ///mshu; 07-07-2010 at 03:16 PM.
///mshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:27 PM   #2
Ant171717

My Ride: 02 325i
ive done it and i ended up scraping the wax off with a razor. Looks horrible.
Ant171717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:16 PM   #3
trudnick

My Ride: 2005 M3
Wow, wax residue on the finish after IPA and claying. Any chance you can post a picture of the affected area(s)? We all make mistakes so go easy on yourself, it's part of the learning process. I bet you'll never make the same mistake again .

NOTE: Don't even think of using a razor blade (I assume you already know this based on your post), we'll find a better solution, but we need some pix.

2005 BMW ///M3 / Carbon Black / Black Leather / 6MT
OEM BMW Performance Short Shift Kit, Illuminated ZHP Knob, XM Direct, DICE iPod, Color Matched Reflectors, Hoen Fogs, Stealth Corners, V1 (3.872) Hardwire, Eibach Pro-Kit, RE 15mm-F/12mm-R Spacers, CDV delete, Clutch Stop, Summer OEM ZCP 19s: Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas (245/275), Winter OEM 18s: Dunlop SP Winter Sport M3s (225/255), Self-installed OEM Alarm & OEM Homelink UGDO.

Last edited by trudnick; 07-07-2010 at 09:18 PM.
trudnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:25 PM   #4
Ervin87

My Ride: E92 M3 | S4 | E30
Send a message via AIM to Ervin87
You are going to need to buff it out with a rotary buffer.

Ervin (Bay Area Detailer)
Ervin87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:32 PM   #5
RockLee

My Ride: 99 328i. ZSP, ZPP,
Send a message via Yahoo to RockLee Send a message via Skype™ to RockLee
Wont washing it off work?

1999 328i Sport Package, Premium Package, 5 speed, Alpine white.
RockLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:50 PM   #6
Au2bahn

My Ride: 05 330i ZHP,09 HCHII
dawn or pre-wax cleaner?
Au2bahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:56 PM   #7
blacksport325

My Ride: 98 M3, 318is, CBR600
I'd try either a bug and tar remover which might end up getting it off, or Turtle wax Ice makes a 2-in-1 clay kit, first step is liquid and that usually gets quite a bit of stuff off my car then the clay takes the rest off.
blacksport325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:29 PM   #8
alwaysbored786

My Ride: Noble|M3|XJ
my friend did a similar thing, he tried putting some brake fluid on a cloth and wiping it really quickly. He says it worked, i think hes a retard and would never do that. Yea my post is useless....

*NO F-BOMBS IN SIGS*
How to refinish rims
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldintake View Post
I am proposing opening up a Paypal fund for OP. The funds will directly be used in purchasing a farm so that OP can grow some balls.
alwaysbored786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:54 PM   #9
dreamdrivedrift

My Ride: 99 M3 & 95 325i
Send a message via AIM to dreamdrivedrift
dawn wash?
Old 07-07-2010, 11:01 PM   #10
farmdog

My Ride: Acura TL
Sand-paper?.....I kid...I kid....
Old 07-07-2010, 11:09 PM   #11
shortE1080

My Ride: 2004 325ci
I'm no expert, but i was under the impression that it was bad to wash your car with dish soap because it took the wax off the car. So that being said wouldn't washing the affected area with warm water and dish soap work?
shortE1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:20 PM   #12
LaCuRa

My Ride: 2001 325i
that happened to me once i just rewax it and it came off, but then again it was just my mirror i forgot to wax off. maybe it can work for you also
LaCuRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:37 AM   #13
E46Sam

My Ride: 03 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervin87 View Post
You are going to need to buff it out with a rotary buffer.
I agree here. If you have already tried a cleaner wax after washing again and tried a claybar, get a higher speed rotary buffer and use a foam pad on it. This way you can run higher speeds without the pad clogging as fast so you don't run a closer risk of burning the paint. I can't beleive a clay bar wouldn't take that stuff off?!?!?
E46Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:00 AM   #14
///mshu

I can't even explain how pissed off I was when this happened... Everything else went perfectly and my last step I'm like WTF ITS NOT COMING OFF??????

I could probably take some pics but if you could imagine applying a hard wax using the W // Z method, then letting it dry to a haze, you'd have a car full of streaks... Then buff most of it away but some spots still have the streaky wax literally baked on and it will not buff off.

I did try diluting some Chemical Guys Citrus Wash which I used before doing the big polishing process over Easter... but that didn't do sh1t either... perhaps it was diluted too much?

Also tried putting a LC blue pad on my PC, spraying a mist of PB S&W on it and running it at 6 for a few seconds. Nothing happened at all.

The only thing that worked was buffing/rubbing the crap out of it with the MF and it would slowwwwwwwly come off.

I obviously don't want to specifically go and buy a rotary buffer just to remove this crap, although I'm sure that would work.

I'll have to try just going with Dawn soap and tap water, "washing" the spots with a MF towel and hopefully the Dawn will pull the stuff up.

I can't believe how persistent this Natty's is once it's been baked in the sun...

Wonder if this means it's actually a good idea to apply and buff off the wax while in shade / garage, then pull it outside in the sun to help it set up???

Thanks all for your input. I'll definitely update once I finally find something that works.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:01 AM   #15
Ant171717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant171717 View Post
ive done it and i ended up scraping the wax off with a razor. Looks horrible.
Clarification: I used a razor on my mouldings which got some wax all dried up on them, thus fading them white. DONT use a bloody razor on your paint.

A rotary buffer is ideal and should be purchased if you plan on waxing your car often i believe.

A friend suggested boiling some water in a kettle and using the steam/hot water in the effected area to melt the stuck on wax.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:26 AM   #16
DangerousMind

My Ride: Sierra 1500 SLT
Try 3m adhesive remover or the Goo Gone that is safe for automotive paint. I know they remove the wax from your paint - not too sure about baked on goobers of wax though.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:08 PM   #17
///mshu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant171717 View Post
A rotary buffer is ideal and should be purchased if you plan on waxing your car often i believe.
I knowww i knowww I should probably get one anyway...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousMind
Try 3m adhesive remover or the Goo Gone that is safe for automotive paint. I know they remove the wax from your paint - not too sure about baked on goobers of wax though.
Goo Gone might be a winner... although still freaks me out a bit

Not really goobers as much as baked on streaked wax. Tried to apply as thin as possible of course.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:12 PM   #18
Ant171717

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///mshu View Post
I knowww i knowww I should probably get one anyway...

Goo Gone might be a winner... although still freaks me out a bit

Not really goobers as much as baked on streaked wax. Tried to apply as thin as possible of course.
Used goo gone in the past. It works.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:46 PM   #19

My Ride: 2013 Sonata 2.0T SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Sam View Post
I agree here. If you have already tried a cleaner wax after washing again and tried a claybar, get a higher speed rotary buffer and use a foam pad on it. This way you can run higher speeds without the pad clogging as fast so you don't run a closer risk of burning the paint. I can't beleive a clay bar wouldn't take that stuff off?!?!?
Get a rotary buffer. You'll love it.
99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 08:45 PM   #20
hi its me alec

My Ride: BMWs + 1988 Pathy
Send a message via AIM to hi its me alec Send a message via MSN to hi its me alec
+1 for 3m adhesive remover. or paint thinner if you really have to get buck with it

hi its me alec is offline   Reply With Quote