E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2010, 02:37 PM   #1
bmw m3 s50

My Ride: bmw m3
Questions about HPF turbo kit

Hey

I have a few questions regarding the hpf stage 2 and 2.5 kits any information would be great; I have an aa s/c on my car and I am getting bored with it. I am aware that the powerband is different among the turbo and s/c. From my understanding your making full tq by like 3k-4k rpm in the turbo kit compared near redline with the s/c, I have been told by my friend that the acceleration is violent compared to the tame s/c. Is this true?

If your making power early in the power band does it pull all the away to 8k rpm? How is the driveabilty with the power?

Does the car still feel true to the m3 characteristic nature of the m3? Because one of the things I love about the m3 is the high reving nature of motor and car. Will the car still retain these m3 characteristics?

People always say that they have traction issues with the car would installing different gears like a 3.15 or 3.23 gears help out since you don't need to be such a high powerband to make power and tq? Would that help with 1/4 times since m3's have problems in 1/4 runs?

Also wouldn't the lower gearing help with 60-130 pulls since it keeps you in gear longer and not having to deal with shifting?

Any answers would help ... Thank you

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-08-2010, 02:42 PM   #2
TaZaM3
Psshhhht M3

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw m3 s50 View Post
Hey

I have a few questions regarding the hpf stage 2 and 2.5 kits any information would be great; I have an aa s/c on my car and I am getting bored with it. I am aware that the powerband is different among the turbo and s/c. From my understanding your making full tq by like 3k-4k rpm in the turbo kit compared near redline with the s/c, I have been told by my friend that the acceleration is violent compared to the tame s/c. Is this true?

If your making power early in the power band does it pull all the away to 8k rpm? How is the driveabilty with the power?

Does the car still feel true to the m3 characteristic nature of the m3? Because one of the things I love about the m3 is the high reving nature of motor and car. Will the car still retain these m3 characteristics?

People always say that they have traction issues with the car would installing different gears like a 3.15 or 3.23 gears help out since you don't need to be such a high powerband to make power and tq? Would that help with 1/4 times since m3's have problems in 1/4 runs?

Also wouldn't the lower gearing help with 60-130 pulls since it keeps you in gear longer and not having to deal with shifting?

Acceleration is a bit more violent, that is true. With the stg 2 and 2.5 the turbo is fairly sized so its not too abrupt of a power surge.

Yes it will pull all the way to redline. It will make peak power before redlin unlike the SC but it will still be very powerful at redline.

You still have high rpm's just like the true nature of the M3. This only makes it more of a beast. I wouldnt worry about that issue.

Traction is essential, tires make a huge difference. Gearing can help alittle no doubt. For the 1/4 mile stock gearing is already decent, its more of a launching technique that has limited the m3 times so far.
TaZaM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:07 PM   #3
MSpired

My Ride: HPF Stage 2.5 e46 M3
Send a message via AIM to MSpired Send a message via MSN to MSpired Send a message via Yahoo to MSpired
Quote:
Hey

The acceleration and the feel of speed is a whole different ball game. Even when I had around 500rwhp with a supercharger, the car didn't even feel close to my current stage 2.5 in pump mode at 560rwhp. Turbo's make more power, more torque and they have a much fatter curve. I never got the sinking back into the seat feeling until I went turbo.

I owned both an AA and VF supercharger before goign turbo and the most amazing thing is how perfect the HPF car drives on a daily basis. You'd expect the lower power, more simple supercharger kits that are running on the factory DME to run smoother, but it is QUITE the contrary! My HPF kit runs smoother and more consistent than both supercharger kits. Honestly, the most impressive part of the HPF kit for me so far has been how perfectly smooth and reliable it has been.

The car won't 100% retain it's characteristics with the turbo compared to NA or SC, but IMO it's adopts a better characteristic! On the track, you don't have to sit close to redline mid corner; you can sit much lower in the power band and use the torque to slingshot you out of the corner.

At the end of the day, there is no question the turbo is going to give you MUCH MUUUUUCH more of a fun, exciting, and enjoyable experience

Last edited by MSpired; 07-08-2010 at 03:08 PM.
MSpired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:08 PM   #4
bmw m3 s50

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaZaM3 View Post
Acceleration is a bit more violent, that is true. With the stg 2 and 2.5 the turbo is fairly sized so its not too abrupt of a power surge.

Yes it will pull all the way to redline. It will make peak power before redlin unlike the SC but it will still be very powerful at redline.

You still have high rpm's just like the true nature of the M3. This only makes it more of a beast. I wouldnt worry about that issue.

Traction is essential, tires make a huge difference. Gearing can help alittle no doubt. For the 1/4 mile stock gearing is already decent, its more of a launching technique that has limited the m3 times so far.
I was hoping you responded because from the searching I have found you are very knowledgable when it comes to FI and m3s

So the power will begin to die off before hitting redline?

I have a widebody on my car now with 315/25/19's was thinking of running 335/30/18's if I get the turbo would that help with traction that problems that m3's are plaqued with?

So gearing is not going to do anything to help in 1/4 and 60-130 pulls?

Is going turbo really worth it compared to the s/c given the very high cost of the turbo kit?
Old 07-08-2010, 03:12 PM   #5
I*do*Werke

My Ride: E46 --> E30
335s in the rear would give you more traction than any other hpf owner (I believe)
Old 07-08-2010, 03:13 PM   #6
MSpired

Send a message via AIM to MSpired Send a message via MSN to MSpired Send a message via Yahoo to MSpired
Quote:
I was hoping you responded because from the searching I have found you are very knowledgable when it comes to FI and m3s

So the power will begin to die off before hitting redline?

I have a widebody on my car now with 315/25/19's was thinking of running 335/30/18's if I get the turbo would that help with traction that problems that m3's are plaqued with?

So gearing is not going to do anything to help in 1/4 and 60-130 pulls?

Is going turbo really worth it compared to the s/c given the very high cost of the turbo kit?
Wow, with your widebody, you can fit some SERIOUS rubber and will NEVER have traction issues! You can run a 315/35/17 MT Street Radial II!!!
Old 07-08-2010, 03:15 PM   #7
HPFMTRE

My Ride: HPF stage 3 M3
Quote:
Hey

Even with the stage 3 kit that i have and a bigger turbo it pretty much is the same as the stage 2 and 2.5 kits as far as spool goes. The car will make power from 4k all the way till redline and it will never stop pulling you really cant compare to any of the supercharger e46 kits at all.

Drivability is great with my car. With SMG sometimes it will be a little chattery from a start when your driving slow but nothing bad at all.(but go 6spd manual)

Ive always loved the high revving S54 engine and i would never want to lose that and with the HPF kit it makes it a hell of a lot more fun to lisen to the engine scream and watch the speedometer go up so fast and being thrown back into your seat. Its a great feeling.

With my Toyo R888 295 tires i can hook up in second gear on my 630rwhp map traction isnt much of an issue lately they are great tires and those tires on a stage 2 would be awesome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeRzErKaS View Post
wat?? guys with turbo M3's don't have woman troubles...

try adjusting your wastegate
HPF Stage 3 #001

R35 GTR coming soon ;)
HPFMTRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:18 PM   #8
bmw m3 s50

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSpired View Post
The acceleration and the feel of speed is a whole different ball game. Even when I had around 500rwhp with a supercharger, the car didn't even feel close to my current stage 2.5 in pump mode at 560rwhp. Turbo's make more power, more torque and they have a much fatter curve. I never got the sinking back into the seat feeling until I went turbo.

I owned both an AA and VF supercharger before goign turbo and the most amazing thing is how perfect the HPF car drives on a daily basis. You'd expect the lower power, more simple supercharger kits that are running on the factory DME to run smoother, but it is QUITE the contrary! My HPF kit runs smoother and more consistent than both supercharger kits. Honestly, the most impressive part of the HPF kit for me so far has been how perfectly smooth and reliable it has been.

The car won't 100% retain it's characteristics with the turbo compared to NA or SC, but IMO it's adopts a better characteristic! On the track, you don't have to sit close to redline mid corner; you can sit much lower in the power band and use the torque to slingshot you out of the corner.

At the end of the day, there is no question the turbo is going to give you MUCH MUUUUUCH more of a fun, exciting, and enjoyable experience
First off wanna say congrats on your 1/4 times .. I was impressed and it helping me make decision to go to turbo..

So you are liking the turbo kit decision? How has the driving experience been thus far?

How has the pulls been against other cars?

Are you annoyed that you have the CEL light on all the time? Are there any other lights on?
Old 07-08-2010, 03:22 PM   #9
bmw m3 s50

Quote:
Wow, with your widebody, you can fit some SERIOUS rubber and will NEVER have traction issues! You can run a 315/35/17 MT Street Radial II!!!
That's what I am thinking that with lower gearing would really help out the hpf kit
Old 07-08-2010, 03:28 PM   #10
MSpired

Quote:
First off wanna say congrats on your 1/4 times .. I was impressed and it helping me make decision to go to turbo..

So you are liking the turbo kit decision? How has the driving experience been thus far?

How has the pulls been against other cars?

Are you annoyed that you have the CEL light on all the time? Are there any other lights on?
Thank you brotha

Driving experience has been the best, that's all there is to say

I ran a GTR, don't know if you saw the vid..

I also ran into a modded c6 Z06 the other night and gave him a nice suprise while in pump and meth mode. His response when he pulled next to me after was, "gad damn, how much power you putting down!" I love it when people don't expect it!

The light doesn't bother me in the least bit. very dash light could be lit up and I could care less as long as it drives the way it does and gives me the driving pleasure I seek.

Quote:
That's what I am thinking that with lower gearing would really help out the hpf kit
With a tire like that, you will not have to touch the gearing, promise and jealous!

Last edited by MSpired; 07-08-2010 at 03:30 PM.
MSpired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:28 PM   #11
bmw m3 s50

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPFMTRE View Post
Even with the stage 3 kit that i have and a bigger turbo it pretty much is the same as the stage 2 and 2.5 kits as far as spool goes. The car will make power from 4k all the way till redline and it will never stop pulling you really cant compare to any of the supercharger e46 kits at all.

Drivability is great with my car. With SMG sometimes it will be a little chattery from a start when your driving slow but nothing bad at all.(but go 6spd manual)

Ive always loved the high revving S54 engine and i would never want to lose that and with the HPF kit it makes it a hell of a lot more fun to lisen to the engine scream and watch the speedometer go up so fast and being thrown back into your seat. Its a great feeling.

With my Toyo R888 295 tires i can hook up in second gear on my 630rwhp map traction isnt much of an issue lately they are great tires and those tires on a stage 2 would be awesome.
Hey rob.. I don't if you remember me I was the one that was going to buy your stage 2 before things got messed up on my end. I am kicking myself for not getting it!! I have been thinking about it!! Ugh anyway .. I remembered some of the things you were telling me about it..

I am just on the fence because of the high cost of the kit and how the m3 is a sub 20k car now but the more and more I read on the forums about are of you turbo stories it makes it so hard to not to get the turbo kit!!
Old 07-08-2010, 03:46 PM   #12
supersickbimmer

My Ride: 617rwhp M3
I think of it this way, If you love your E46 M3 then this is the natural progression. HPF has the solution for the dated M3 power.
BTW, my wife loves taking the M to work every other day. Drives like stock till you hit hit.
Also, love the WB
Old 07-09-2010, 09:32 AM   #13
bmw m3 s50

Quote:
Thank you brotha

Driving experience has been the best, that's all there is to say

I ran a GTR, don't know if you saw the vid..

I also ran into a modded c6 Z06 the other night and gave him a nice suprise while in pump and meth mode. His response when he pulled next to me after was, "gad damn, how much power you putting down!" I love it when people don't expect it!

The light doesn't bother me in the least bit. very dash light could be lit up and I could care less as long as it drives the way it does and gives me the driving pleasure I seek.

With a tire like that, you will not have to touch the gearing, promise and jealous!
Yea saw that video that was a crazy pull .. How much power was the gtr making?

Yea I want be able to walk cars like the gtr and c6 z06 and I am seeing that the only way is the hpf turbo kit

I just hope it lives up and it keeps inline with what I want out of my m3 .. Also hope that I don't get bored with it in a 1-2 years like I did with the s/c because it would be a waste of money since I wouldn't be able to get most of it back.

oh and by the way the jealously is all mine with you and your stage 2.5!!!!
Old 07-09-2010, 09:37 AM   #14
bmw m3 s50

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersickbimmer View Post
I think of it this way, If you love your E46 M3 then this is the natural progression. HPF has the solution for the dated M3 power.
BTW, my wife loves taking the M to work every other day. Drives like stock till you hit hit.
Also, love the WB
Thanks man! I love the car and remember you being one of the originals with the stage 2 kit!! Glad to see your loving it.

Yea I do love the e46 and I am start to realize that it maybe a car that I just keep because prices on e46s are so low that with cars like mine it isn't even worth selling because you'll never get what you want for it.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:42 PM   #15
sniperm

My Ride: maxima
I think u need a ride in a turbo M....

btw, ur car looks sick!

04' LSB
sniperm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 01:18 PM   #16
M3onTwomps

My Ride: '02 SG/IR SMG M3
Yeah, it does. What widebody kit is that?
Old 07-09-2010, 03:18 PM   #17
djbardia

My Ride: 2002 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by I*do*Werke View Post
335s in the rear would give you more traction than any other hpf owner (I believe)
335 does not have limited slip differential. It's traction issue is huge compare to M3. Sorry.
djbardia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 03:29 PM   #18
323tom

My Ride: Turbo 323 ;)
LOL not a 335 BMW, hes talking about 335 wide tire!
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbardia View Post
335 does not have limited slip differential. It's traction issue is huge compare to M3. Sorry.
323tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:22 PM   #19
InDiGlOM3

My Ride: HPF M3 stg 2.5
Send a message via AIM to InDiGlOM3 Send a message via Yahoo to InDiGlOM3
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbardia View Post
Lol I cant stop laughing sorry.... Ive read what the other guy said about 335's in the rear about 15 times now and I dont see where the bmw 335 comes in at all, besides the numbers
Old 07-09-2010, 08:43 PM   #20
turboaddiction

My Ride: Turbo M3
Quote:

That was nicely done!
Quote:
Yea saw that video that was a crazy pull .. How much power was the gtr making?

Yea I want be able to walk cars like the gtr and c6 z06 and I am seeing that the only way is the hpf turbo kit

I just hope it lives up and it keeps inline with what I want out of my m3 .. Also hope that I don't get bored with it in a 1-2 years like I did with the s/c because it would be a waste of money since I wouldn't be able to get most of it back.

oh and by the way the jealously is all mine with you and your stage 2.5!!!!
I don't really know why you even think about the current value of e46 m3s when you have modded your m3 in such a way. I mean think about it, what else would you buy? the next logical step would be either an e9X m3 (boring NA) so it must have a supercharger or a P-car 996tt or 997tt. Now the 996tt and 997tt will also be super boring unless they are highly modded. So you are talking about selling the e46 m3 and spending $65K - $100+k depending how new and what mods. So if you are really attached to your m3 and want the power of a massive e9X m3 or 996tt or 997tt with only a fraction of the cost, then it's very simple. Going 2.5 will save you money if you think about it. I mean any modded car is a poor financial investment but can be a fantastic mental investment.

Hell...I stopped caring what my car was worth a long time ago. I just keep throwing money at it because I love it.

Stage 2.5...you will thank me!

| TRM | The Racers Market | Turbo M3 | 559whp@18psi | Dynojet Confirmed 6-1-2010 |
| The Truth Shall Set You Free! | It's Good To Have Her Back! |

Last edited by turboaddiction; 07-09-2010 at 11:03 PM. Reason: had e36 on brain, meant e46 m3.
turboaddiction is offline   Reply With Quote