E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Other BMW Models > General BMW Model Discussion

General BMW Model Discussion
All non E46 BMW model questions in here. Look below for E36, E90 and F30 specific forum. For additional model specific forums check out bimmerfest.com!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2010, 11:24 AM   #61
Andy2108

My Ride: E46 M3, '67 Cobra
^ Barf!

I figured out where BMW has been getting their new lines:

I mean really... Comepair side by side:

Anybody else see the resemblances?

De gustibus non est disputandum.

Last edited by Andy2108; 07-09-2010 at 11:47 AM.
Andy2108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:33 AM   #62
nikkeiS2K

My Ride: N/A
Send a message via ICQ to nikkeiS2K Send a message via AIM to nikkeiS2K Send a message via MSN to nikkeiS2K Send a message via Yahoo to nikkeiS2K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2108 View Post
No. Now GTFO with your nonsense!!
nikkeiS2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:35 AM   #63
Bartacus

My Ride: 2002 320i Sedan
What car did he try to hotlink in the first pic? All I see is the corvette with the "image hotlinked, please use an embed code" text on it.

EDIT: nvm, looked at the image properties. I don't think BMW stole anything from a Hyundai Genesis.

Last edited by Bartacus; 07-09-2010 at 11:38 AM.
Bartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:52 AM   #64
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
Quote:
^ Barf!

I figured out where BMW has been getting their new lines:

I mean really... Comepair side by side:

Even if they did steal some cues, that's fine. The Hyundai Genesis (both sedan and coupe) are both better looking that nearly all recent BMW's. Yeah, I said it.

** Removed **
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:53 AM   #65
Andy2108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartacus View Post
What car did he try to hotlink in the first pic? All I see is the corvette with the "image hotlinked, please use an embed code" text on it.

EDIT: nvm, looked at the image properties. I don't think BMW stole anything from a Hyundai Genesis.
Alright, didnt realize the pic didnt worked. Fixed.

Look at the whole front bumper. Specifically the fog lights and the general shape of the black plastic. The general shape of the grill. The general shape of the lower half of the lights. The general shape of the tail lights. The lines of the defined curvature of the front bumper between the lights/grill and the lower grill. Even the flattened sides of the wheel wells/arches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVR JDM View Post
Even if they did steal some cues, that's fine. The Hyundai Genesis (both sedan and coupe) are both better looking that nearly all recent BMW's. Yeah, I said it.
I find it hard to disagree with you... I cant find a newer bmw that looks all that much better than either...

Last edited by Andy2108; 07-09-2010 at 11:56 AM.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:59 AM   #66
So Lowww

My Ride: E36M
i hope the new 3er doesnt look like that

and i think thats def a pshop off the genesis
Old 07-09-2010, 12:17 PM   #67
rpl

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Quote:
Old 07-09-2010, 12:28 PM   #68
Bartacus

Quote:
Alright, didnt realize the pic didnt worked. Fixed.

Look at the whole front bumper. Specifically the fog lights and the general shape of the black plastic. The general shape of the grill. The general shape of the lower half of the lights. The general shape of the tail lights. The lines of the defined curvature of the front bumper between the lights/grill and the lower grill. Even the flattened sides of the wheel wells/arches.

I find it hard to disagree with you... I cant find a newer bmw that looks all that much better than either...
I see what you're saying now. But I also agree with every recent poster in here that doesn't like the newer BMWs. LOVE the new 5 series though. I don't care who BMW steals from as long as they stop producing ugly!
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpl View Post
x infinity!
Old 07-09-2010, 12:34 PM   #69
Andy2108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartacus View Post
I see what you're saying now. But I also agree with every recent poster in here that doesn't like the newer BMWs. LOVE the new 5 series though. I don't care who BMW steals from as long as they stop producing ugly!
Fair enough. Obviously our opinions vary, to me the new 5 series is one of the worst.

Old 07-09-2010, 01:10 PM   #70
MachRc
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 2003 Technik S1 M3
thats the gt,

I like the new 5, with a little styling cue it looks sharp.

"I catch you in my dreams, just me and you. But you seem confused, I'm not trying to break the rules.
So why do you feel the way that you do? So why do you feel the way that you do?"

2014 LA Autoshow FB Gallery
MachRc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 01:15 PM   #71
s3th

My Ride: 05 330Ci ZHP
id buy it.

500px
s3th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 01:20 PM   #72
BeRzErKaS

My Ride: 330ciC; Boosted E36
Send a message via ICQ to BeRzErKaS
How... much?

Just looking at the website, it looks like BMW puts an average markup around 35% between the top end models in each series and the ///M editon. Except for the M3 whose MSRP is only like 17% above that of the 335is (maybe because the expect to sell a bunch?).

A 35% markup on on the 135's base MSRP would put a 135 ///M right around 48,667. A 17% markup would put the ///M right around 42,000.

Even if you aim somewhere in the middle my guess is you definitely end up north of $50k to drive this car off the lot with options. And some nutjob will probably tap $60k.

BMW 3 Series - "Welcome to the club."

Supercharged E-dIrTy-6 325is 5sp
Drop Top E-sPorTy-6 330cic Step
BeRzErKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 01:22 PM   #73
Andy2108

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachRc View Post
thats the gt,
still wouldn't drive it, even with the little spoilers and eyelids

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeRzErKaS View Post
How... much?

Just looking at the website, it looks like BMW puts an average markup around 35% between the top end models in each series and the ///M editon. Except for the M3 whose MSRP is only like 17% above that of the 335is (maybe because the expect to sell a bunch?).

A 35% markup on on the 135's base MSRP would put a 135 ///M right around 48,667. A 17% markup would put the ///M right around 42,000.

Even if you aim somewhere in the middle my guess is you definitely end up north of $50k to drive this car off the lot with options. And some nutjob will probably tap $60k.
Thats a good way to think about it. I like it. ///M1 for 50k is just too much. You can have you a 2006 Dodge Viper for $44k... Link

Last edited by Andy2108; 07-09-2010 at 01:25 PM.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:23 PM   #74
BimmerFerret

My Ride: 08 G37S, 07 Sky RL
Send a message via Skype™ to BimmerFerret
I'd still take the M over the Viper. Ask a Viper owner about maintenance costs / insurance and you'll find out why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxlo View Post
Class of '03, yet you're still an idiot. Whats your point? Do you really think that you're somehow a god because you joined a site before someone else? ****ing nerd.
BimmerFerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 02:25 PM   #75
yousharenow

My Ride: E46 ZHP
Send a message via AIM to yousharenow
I bet $50k bare.
yousharenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 03:38 PM   #76
Bartacus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachRc View Post
thats the gt,

I like the new 5, with a little styling cue it looks sharp.

Agreed. Beats the heck out of the E60.

Andy: I'm not a fan of the GT, that thing is just too weird shaped for me. Seeing the sedans in person changed my opinion. Of course, I really despise the E60, so anything would have been an improvement in my book.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:28 PM   #77
VinniE46

My Ride: E30s
I think the front bumpers on that new 3 and 5 series are hideous. They ruin it. Besides that they're not too bad. I'm not a fan of a lot of the newer styling on cars. "Futuristic" styling = so ugly. Some of the worst examples are new Acuras, Mazdas, and Camaros. Newer Audi's look great though.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:46 AM   #78
EndlessAP1

My Ride: e92 M3, e70 X5, TL
Just not a fan of any of the 1 series, regardless if BMW comes out with a M for it. Doesn't do anything for me.
EndlessAP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 04:29 AM   #79
Emanuel

My Ride: '00 Z3C/'07 Z4MC
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessAP1 View Post
Just not a fan of any of the 1 series, regardless if BMW comes out with a M for it. Doesn't do anything for me.
I like the hatchback, which we didn't get. I find the convertible tolerable. Can't get into the coupe, and the 1M is just not something that appeals to me.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:27 PM   #80
Matt Q

My Ride: Jezebel
Weird

Both in your mainly US forum and in our local SA ones (and in some euro forums I search) the overall opinion seems to be RADICALLY against the design route taken since Bangles.. almost as if there is a universal appreciation of the E46 as the last truly masculine and inspiring BMW design

so what happened and who the hell are they actually designing for if all the enthusiasts find the cars so damn fugly??

M3. ONLY BETTER
Matt Q is offline   Reply With Quote