E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-08-2010, 11:13 PM   #1
jr81

My Ride: Bought 330Cic
High pitched whine behind dashboard

So I have searched the site for this problem and cannot seem to find the information that I need. I have a 2002 330Cic and about twice a week there is a high pitched whine comes from behind the dash board on the drivers side. This will either happen when I start the car or will just start while I'm driving. If I switch the car off and back on the whine stops. I'm pretty sure that this is coming from behind the instrument cluster, what could this be?

Ant help would be appreciated as it's driving me insane.
jr81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:24 AM   #2
fotsir

My Ride: 2004 Lexus IS300
Could be the blower motor scraping against the housing.

This was a problem on the early E46s, but I'm not sure about MY2002.

All the blower motors I've ever seen are expensive.

When it happens, turn off the blower to confirm.

Otherwise, have you checked underneath the hood? Or are you sure that it is an interior noise?
Old 07-09-2010, 06:16 AM   #3
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
The blower motors do get noisy, sometimes start to sound like crickets under the dash. Change blower speed and see if the noise stops when the blower speed is changed? I had the blower in my car make noise after the car was warmed up and the motor had run a while when making right hand turns under light acceleration and when stopped at a traffic light. Sometimes when turning the car off, I would hear a slight chirp when the blower spun down. I swore there was no way the blower could make this chirping/metallic noise, thought there was something metal under the dash vibrating. Turned out the crickets under the dash in my case was in fact the "typical" BMW blower problem.

Also keep in mind there is a small blower motor inside the auto temp control unit as well if you have the auto temp control for the HVAC.

Just make sure the noise is inside rather than under the hood and try to eliminate the blower as the source as it can be a common problem.
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:37 AM   #4
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
...and if blower motor chirping...it's almost always the culprit...search me and blower motor...I blew mine out and seems to have kept the chirping at bay for over a year now.

Sorry I don't have a direct link for you.

Doug

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 05:19 PM   #5
jr81

So the noise happened again yesterday and its not the blower as it was not even turned on and when I switched it on it did not affect the noise. I followed the noise and it appears to be coming from the upper left of the drivers side kickwell just above the foot rest. Could this be the ECU fan?
Old 07-12-2010, 11:13 PM   #6
TxTorqueMade

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via Yahoo to TxTorqueMade
Maybe its your wife.... whining.... again....
Old 07-13-2010, 08:35 AM   #7
ECSTuning
Sponsor

My Ride: BMW
Might want to check out your Blower Motor Resistor...

We have replacement units available if you are in need of the part...

Click HERE to order or for more information.

Please let us know if you have any questions! Feel free to shoot me a PM or email.

Best,
Joe

Have questions? Need answers? Live Chat us! 8:30am to 12:00am Midnight EST
sales@ecstuning.com | customerservice@ecstuning.com
Customer Service Hours: M - F 8:00am - 8:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
Sales Team Hours: M - F 8:00am - 11:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST | 800.924.5172
Do you love surveys? Click HERE to take our Customer Satisfaction Survey!
ECSTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:38 AM   #8
jr81

I'm going to be brutually honest now and say that if you have nothing of value to add to this thread then don't say anything. It's people like you that ruin these forum's for everybody else.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:39 AM   #9
jr81

Joe,

Thank you but I do not think that it's the blower motor as the whine comes on when the car is started and the blower is off.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:52 AM   #10
ECSTuning
Sponsor

My Ride: BMW
From many years of personal experience with E46s when a blower motor resistor goes bad it does not matter whether or not the blower is off or not, it will run when it wants to. Usually creating a high whining noise (your problem). I understand you are not in need of the motor, thus the suggestion of the resistor.

I appreciate your honesty, however there is complete relevance in the post, as it deals directly with your specific problem.

I do wish you well in your search to fix your problem.

Best,
Joe

Have questions? Need answers? Live Chat us! 8:30am to 12:00am Midnight EST
sales@ecstuning.com | customerservice@ecstuning.com
Customer Service Hours: M - F 8:00am - 8:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
Sales Team Hours: M - F 8:00am - 11:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST | 800.924.5172
Do you love surveys? Click HERE to take our Customer Satisfaction Survey!
ECSTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 05:39 PM   #11
watchbuff

My Ride: 2005 330Ci
Just tried this today, it worked so far. I got an extra long nozzle and attached it to a can of WD-40, put the nozzle in the center a/c vent to where I could see the blower motor vanes and gave a couple of spritzes. No more chirping at low fan speeds driving over bumps.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:57 PM   #12
hurls

My Ride: 2000 323iT
Not to resuscitate an old(ish) thread, but this the one you're talking about DMAX? http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...69&postcount=4

Think I'm going to try that one this weekend myself...
hurls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:34 PM   #13
Dracant

My Ride: 2000 323i
I have a similar whine that is coming from the control box cooling fan. Mine doesn't seem to run when it is cool outside, so I assume its temperature dependant.

Anyways, if you stick your head under the drivers side dash and you hear the whine coming from above the left foot rest about 18 inches up towards the side of the car, this may be your culprit.

Realoem part # 5 here

Link to RealOEM

Hope this helps somebody!
Dracant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 04:38 AM   #14
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurls View Post
Not to resuscitate an old(ish) thread, but this the one you're talking about DMAX? http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...69&postcount=4

Think I'm going to try that one this weekend myself...

That's the one.

I went back to see where WD40 was referenced in this thread and didn't see it...but whoever did that, I'm thinking be careful is all...make sure blower isn't running in case you get wd40 somewhere it shouldn't be. There was a guy here who wrote authoritatively enough about the issues with it that I really don't use it much on my car anymore...sorry wd40!

Anyway, I did that blowing out blower twice within a few weeks...and that was maybe a year ago...no chirping. Also, keep cabin air filter and housing clean.

Doug

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 05:08 PM   #15
jeffreyslc

My Ride: 330xi Auto
I am getting this same sound described by OP and agree it is not a mechanical sound, nor do I think it is the blower.

JR81, did you figure out what it was and find a solution?

Jeff
2002 330xi Auto
Steel Blue
Mods: Shark, Conforti CAI, Dinan Tranny s/w, LED interior lights, OEM Alarm install, OEM 6-disc changer install, Homelink Install, Window tint, golf tee mod.
jeffreyslc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 04:07 PM   #16
Itzed

My Ride: 2004 325xi
I now have this problem too, and it does not sound mechanical to me. I've replaced a chirping blower motor before on an older Audi, and this does not sound anything like that. Mine is a high pitched whine, and comes and goes with various engine vacuum. I can almost always make it go away by stepping on the brake or accelerating hard. I've also sometimes heard it continue to whine for a couple seconds after I shut the engine off. Pitch doesn't really change much or sound like it's related to the blower speed. I've played with the fan speed and vent settings and that does not affect it. The best way I can describe it is that it sounds similar to a whine that would occur from electric engine interference on a radio, but the pitch does not change with engine RPM like that would.
Itzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 05:57 PM   #17
eweis

My Ride: 1999 328i
More specifically is it a whine or could be described as s whistle? From what you're describing, it sounds like it could be the intake boot which is on the driver's side and really not too far from the foot well. Lots of threads on the topic.

Sent from my HERO200 using BimmerApp
eweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:11 PM   #18
Itzed

My Ride: 2004 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by eweis View Post
More specifically is it a whine or could be described as s whistle? From what you're describing, it sounds like it could be the intake boot which is on the driver's side and really not too far from the foot well. Lots of threads on the topic.

Sent from my HERO200 using BimmerApp
It sounds more like a whine and less like a whistle, but you know how difficult it is to describe a sound. It was happening when I parked in the garage tonight, so I let the car idle and found that from inside, it sounds like it is coming from the area near the brake pedal. I popped the hood and I can hear it in the engine compartment as well. I will investigate more tomorrow, but since it always goes away when I touch the brakes, I'm suspecting it's related to vacuum or something related to the brakes.
Itzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:25 PM   #19
mbadger

My Ride: '02 325i '95 325ic
I have this exact problem..electrical sounding whine that is in the vicinity of the driver's side dashboard. If the car is turned off and back on, it goes away. Yesterday it happened while I was driving and then went away after about three minutes by itself. It is very sporadic but annoying.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:12 PM   #20
mos

My Ride: 02 330Ci
Nobody knows what this is?

Finally found a thread that seems to describe the noise I've been hearing. To me, it sounds like an electrical whine akin radio frequency interference, i.e. bare wires rubbing together, kinda of trembling. Tse...tse...tse....