E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum

Motorsports & Track Forum
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports – this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2010, 02:12 PM   #1
tim330i
Owner/Admin

My Ride: 03 Ti Silver M3
BMW ALMS Racing - Miller Motorsports Park - Updated with SPOILERS

The BMW Rahal Letterman Racing Team makes its final trip west this season when it travels to Miller Motorsports Park, in Tooele, Utah, for the July 11th Round 4 of the 2010 American Le Mans Series.

With four podium finishes in the first three races of the season, BMW stands second in GT manufacturer points. BMW M3 GT co-drivers Joey Hand and Dirk Müller, along with Bill Auberlen and Tommy Milner, stand third and fourth in Driver points respectively.

The team recently tested for two days at Road Atlanta, in Braselton, Ga., to prepare for the heart of the season that will see five races within the next eight weeks.

"We are happy that the June break in the ALMS schedule has concluded," said Martin Birkmann, BMW of North America Motorsport Manager. "Our test at Road Atlanta provided good development data for the hottest months, and I am confident that we can carry the momentum from the first half of the season into the summer blitz."

"Our guys have been eager to get back into the battle and we are eagerly anticipating this weekend's race at Miller Motorsports Park," said Bobby Rahal, Team Principal. "We have run some good tests over the Le Mans break and we will continue our pattern of improvement. The team is ready. I know the drivers are ready and we should start the second half of the season with a strong race."

Following a test session on Friday, official practice begins on Saturday with two one-hour practice sessions before a 20-minute qualifying session at 2:55 p.m. The Larry H. Miller Dealerships Utah Grand Prix is scheduled to start Sunday at 2:35 p.m Mountain Time. The two-hour-and-forty-five-minute contest will be broadcast same-day on SPEED television beginning at 4:30 p.m. ET.

Joey Hand, Driver, No. 90 M3 GT: "The race at Miller Motorsports Park was one of our toughest races last year, but I think that race was a turning point for the team. We have continued the development of tire compounds, suspension, and damper control so we effectively have a whole new program this time around and I plan for us to continue our podium streak."

Dirk Müller, Driver, No. 90 M3 GT: "I'm proud to have raced the BMW Art Car at Le Mans and now I'm looking forward to the next exciting round of ALMS competition. After a dramatic race at Laguna Seca I know the BMW-RLR guys have prepared our M3 GT machines to score more points for the championship. We really want to win."

Bill Auberlen, Driver, No. 92 M3 GT: "Miller has become one of my favorite tracks. This team never rests and is constantly thinking of new ways to go faster. With a little luck maybe I believe we can find our way to victory lane this year. BMW has captured the podium in every race this season, and that really gives you an idea of how far we have come."

Tommy Milner, Driver, No. 92 M3 GT: "I'm stoked to get back to racing again. The test at Road Atlanta went very well. The heat was intense so Dunlop was able to gather some very good data. If we see the expected hot conditions in Utah, we will be prepared. We're in the hunt for a championship and I'll be working hard to get back on the podium at Miller."

Source - http://www.bimmerfest.com/news/46789...s-park-preview

BMW Racing Team Takes Lead in ALMS with second and fourth-place GT class finish
With second- and fourth-place GT class finishes in yesterday's Utah Grand Prix, the BMW Rahal Letterman Racing Team has raced BMW to the top of the GT Manufacturer point standings after four rounds of competition in the 2010 American Le Mans Series.

Bill Auberlen and Tommy Milner, co-driving the No. 92 M3 GT, finished 14 seconds behind the winner in the two-hour-and-forty-five-minute contest, continuing this season's BMW-RLR podium streak. Joey Hand and Dirk Müller finished fourth in the No. 90 M3 GT, losing a third-place finish in the closing minutes of the race as a damaged exhaust reduced the BMW's power.

Auberlen and Milner's third podium finish of the year leapfrogs them ahead of teammates Hand and Müller to third in GT driver points. Hand and Müller stand fourth.

The race was slowed by two caution periods within the first 15 minutes of competition and the team chose to split strategies for a second consecutive race. While pitting Hand in the No. 90 M3 GT from fifth for fuel during the second yellow, the team elected to keep Milner and the No. 92 M3 GT on track. As the balance of the GT field pitted, the Virginian inherited the lead and held it until he handed off to Auberlen just before the one hour mark in the race's third caution period.

Hand drove the No. 90 M3 GT to fourth place before handing off to Müller on his 46th lap. Auberlen continued in second after losing the lead just after the restart. With 45 minutes remaining Auberlen held on to second place with the third-place competitor glued to his rear bumper. Muller, approximately one minute behind Auberlen, maintained fifth position until a competitor's flat tire helped him move up briefly to third place. He was unable to hold the final podium spot as his engine continued to lose power due to a damaged exhaust pipe.

"Consistency has been the calling card of our season so far this year and it paid off this weekend not only with another podium finish for the BMW Rahal Letterman Racing Team, but now it has moved us into the top spot in the GT Manufacturer Standings," said Bobby Rahal, Team Principal. "I am very proud of the efforts everyone at BMW and RLR has made so far this year and our drivers continue to do a great job in what is a very competitive class."

Next, the ALMS moves back to BMW's home track, Lime Rock Park, in Lakeville, Conn., for the American Le Mans Northeast Grand Prix on July 24. The race will be televised live on SPEED.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW-Racing-Miller-Motorsports-Park-Preview.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	366749   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW-Racing-Miller-Motorsports-Park-Preview_4.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	366750   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW-Racing-Miller-Motorsports-Park-Preview_2.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	366751   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW-Racing-Miller-Motorsports-Park-Preview_3.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	366752  

tim330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:16 PM   #2
ItalianSaint

My Ride: 2004 325Ci

Tickets are only $25! Calling LDS friends... now.

"Just another freak in the freak kingdom." -HST
ItalianSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 12:44 PM   #3
tim330i
Owner/Admin

Turn It Up! ALMS Utah GP Kickoff Video

Old 07-12-2010, 12:20 PM   #4
tim330i
Owner/Admin

BMW Racing Team Takes Lead in ALMS with second and fourth-place GT class finish
With second- and fourth-place GT class finishes in yesterday’s Utah Grand Prix, the BMW Rahal Letterman Racing Team has raced BMW to the top of the GT Manufacturer point standings after four rounds of competition in the 2010 American Le Mans Series.

Bill Auberlen and Tommy Milner, co-driving the No. 92 M3 GT, finished 14 seconds behind the winner in the two-hour-and-forty-five-minute contest, continuing this season’s BMW-RLR podium streak. Joey Hand and Dirk Müller finished fourth in the No. 90 M3 GT, losing a third-place finish in the closing minutes of the race as a damaged exhaust reduced the BMW’s power.

Auberlen and Milner’s third podium finish of the year leapfrogs them ahead of teammates Hand and Müller to third in GT driver points. Hand and Müller stand fourth.

The race was slowed by two caution periods within the first 15 minutes of competition and the team chose to split strategies for a second consecutive race. While pitting Hand in the No. 90 M3 GT from fifth for fuel during the second yellow, the team elected to keep Milner and the No. 92 M3 GT on track. As the balance of the GT field pitted, the Virginian inherited the lead and held it until he handed off to Auberlen just before the one hour mark in the race’s third caution period.

Hand drove the No. 90 M3 GT to fourth place before handing off to Müller on his 46th lap. Auberlen continued in second after losing the lead just after the restart. With 45 minutes remaining Auberlen held on to second place with the third-place competitor glued to his rear bumper. Muller, approximately one minute behind Auberlen, maintained fifth position until a competitor’s flat tire helped him move up briefly to third place. He was unable to hold the final podium spot as his engine continued to lose power due to a damaged exhaust pipe.

“Consistency has been the calling card of our season so far this year and it paid off this weekend not only with another podium finish for the BMW Rahal Letterman Racing Team, but now it has moved us into the top spot in the GT Manufacturer Standings,” said Bobby Rahal, Team Principal. “I am very proud of the efforts everyone at BMW and RLR has made so far this year and our drivers continue to do a great job in what is a very competitive class.”

Next, the ALMS moves back to BMW’s home track, Lime Rock Park, in Lakeville, Conn., for the American Le Mans Northeast Grand Prix on July 24. The race will be televised live on SPEED.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BMW-Racing-Takes-ALMS-lead-second-fourth-place-Miller-Motorsports-Park_1.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	367023   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW-Racing-Takes-ALMS-lead-second-fourth-place-Miller-Motorsports-Park_2.jpg
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	367024   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW-Racing-Takes-ALMS-lead-second-fourth-place-Miller-Motorsports-Park_3.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	232.6 KB
ID:	367025   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW-Racing-Takes-ALMS-lead-second-fourth-place-Miller-Motorsports-Park_4.jpg
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	367026  

Name:	BMW-Racing-Takes-ALMS-lead-second-fourth-place-Miller-Motorsports-Park_5.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	367027