E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-12-2010, 10:00 PM   #1
sgplayer69

My Ride: 2003 CB M3 Coupe
330ci limited slip differential

Hey all, i got 2 questions...I'm new to differential setups so bear with me!

1) I've seen all the housing together of an LSD, but can you just buy a LSD unit by itself (since it's cheaper), and swap it for the open differential unit in the housing? would I need to buy anything else to make the conversion, if possible?

2) If this is possible, which differential unit is the best for a 330ci with the ZHP package? Price:quality ratio is kinda important

Thanks,
Nick
sgplayer69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:09 AM   #2
Jim Murphy

My Ride: 2006 E46 330Ci ZHP
LSD's on E46 ZHP Thread

All your questions have already been answered on this thread further down the postings:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=771375

You will see that the aftermarket LSD is the way to go.

Jim
Jim Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 05:09 PM   #3
sgplayer69

so for example: http://hpashop.com/product.sc?produc...categoryId=114

Would I just simply swap that unit in place of the open differential unit? or do other modifications need to be made?

Also, could someone explain this to me:

"The Quaife is great for street driving or racing. Racers don't have to put up with locking mechanisms or spools that tear the steering wheel out of their hands when cornering. Because it behaves like an open differential during ordinary driving, street drivers will have trouble telling it's there until pushing the car's limits."

Does that mean the steering wheel will be all over the place if im using one hand??? lol

Nick
Old 07-13-2010, 05:24 PM   #4
HP Autowerks
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: E36 M3
Hi Nick,
Yes, the quaife goes in place of the open unit. You will need to reuse the ring and pinion.

I think that quote may be in reference to front wheel drive. I don't know how that would apply to RWD.

It is one of the biggest things along side with suspension and FI'd that will considerably make a positive change in how your car performs.
HP Autowerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 05:28 PM   #5
sgplayer69

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
Hi Nick,
Yes, the quaife goes in place of the open unit. You will need to reuse the ring and pinion.

I think that quote may be in reference to front wheel drive. I don't know how that would apply to RWD.

It is one of the biggest things along side with suspension and FI'd that will considerably make a positive change in how your car performs.
But that LSD is specifically made for the "e46 3-series," as said at the top. I don't believe that there are any FWD BMWs out there, let alone any e46s...
Old 07-13-2010, 05:30 PM   #6
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgplayer69 View Post
Would I just simply swap that unit in place of the open differential unit? or do other modifications need to be made?
Yes, that is the "LSD" core which would need to be swapped into your carrier. This is not a DIY job for most as it is absolutely critical that the bearing pre-load and gear lash be set correctly.

Quote:
Also, could someone explain this to me:

"The Quaife is great for street driving or racing. Racers don't have to put up with locking mechanisms or spools that tear the steering wheel out of their hands when cornering. Because it behaves like an open differential during ordinary driving, street drivers will have trouble telling it's there until pushing the car's limits."

Does that mean the steering wheel will be all over the place if im using one hand??? lol

Nick
This comment is made with respect to front wheel drive applications and is of absolutely no relevance to your BMW.
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 05:30 PM   #7
HP Autowerks
Past Site Sponsor

Ah, I see. I made that item description. I'll edit it now
Old 07-13-2010, 05:49 PM   #8
sgplayer69

Ahhh gotcha I was confused bc it didn't make sense for RWD! Thanks everyone
Old 07-13-2010, 06:01 PM   #9
sgplayer69

and also, I've heard you can use an M3 differential, but you need to make alterations to the car on top of it. If I just buy the M3 LSD unit by itself, can i swap it with the open unit without any alterations?
Old 07-13-2010, 06:29 PM   #10
cnotesdip

My Ride: 330ci
if you decide to get the m3 diff i would get the whole rear suspension this is what i did i got a rear m3 suspension for about $750 delivered, everything fit and you could even use the abs sensors from your 330 on the m3 rear end pretty easy if you have a lift.
cnotesdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 06:40 PM   #11
HP Autowerks
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
and also, I've heard you can use an M3 differential, but you need to make alterations to the car on top of it. If I just buy the M3 LSD unit by itself, can i swap it with the open unit without any alterations?
You need to install the whole subframe. The e46M3 has a 210MM input shaft, yours is 188MM.