E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-14-2010, 10:48 PM   #1
burnhamd

My Ride: 325i 2002
Help picking brake replacement

Hey folks,

I have had some vibration from my brakes recently and have decided to replace them myself. I am trying to decide which parts to get. I want to stay as close to oem feel as possible while getting a good price. Is it worth it to get oem over aftermarket?

The pads that Ive read about.
Textar (oem?)
Performance Friction -Z

I was also wondering about the performance of the replacements on pelican parts. such as pagid, ate, akebono and jurid.

As far as rotors what are some good choices and how do they match with the pads.
The two I have in mind right now are zimmerman coated z and oem.

Any light shed on this would be helpful. I also know that a few of the sponsers have brake packages that are supposed to be good and was wondering how they compared to OEM.
burnhamd is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:56 PM   #2
The_Don

My Ride: 2001, 325Ci
I have used replacement brake kits from stoptech and uuc, and I have to say that I have been extremely pleased with both. The pads that come in the kits are MUCH better in regards to brake dust, and each of these kits have lasted me a long time. They are a little pricier than just going all oem, but I have always leaned toward the slotted rotors. Just a personal preference.

If you go with oem rotors, you can always go with Axxis ultimate (lot less brake dust and great performance - not expensive) or go with Hawk, etc. for a little more performance if you are a spirited driver.

There are a lot of pads for our cars on the market, and I think that they all have their merrits. Just really depends on what your driving style and demands from equipment are I suppose.
The_Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:14 AM   #3
BimmerBrakes
The Brake Newbie!

My Ride: 2005 ZHP BMW
Send a message via AIM to BimmerBrakes
There are some Aftermarket will perform much better then OEM and with less dust. Also, Price much lower

As for Pads I would check out Performance Friction Z-Rated Pads and Stoptech Street Performance Pads. Both Great pads and priced Very Well.

As for Rotors - Brembo, OEM, Centric or Zimmermans.

-Anthony@BimmerBrakes
BimmerBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:33 PM   #4
Bryan@Jlevi SW
1.888.JLEVISW

My Ride: E46 330i ZSP
Send a message via AIM to Bryan@Jlevi SW
+1 on Stoptech St. Performance pads...
Bryan@Jlevi SW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 06:10 PM   #5
Brilliant

My Ride: E46M3 Blk/Blk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal@Jlevi SW View Post
+1 on Stoptech St. Performance pads...
I did the same from Zach H.

Also, Performance Friction makes an OEM sized rotor no? The are far better than OEM for repeated hard stops, but $$. I use centrics on my M3 at the advice of E39M5 owners. Centrics are perfectly acceptable nowadays.
OEM Euro folding mirrors | OEM LED retrofit & Euro LCM | V-CSL diffuser (fits like S) | misc cosmetics
Soon: CSL Intake

Last edited by Brilliant; 07-16-2010 at 06:11 PM.
Brilliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 01:13 PM   #6
burnhamd

My Ride: 325i 2002
Thanks for the input. I rarely do spirited driving in atlanta but would like a good initial bite like the OEM pads. I think I will be getting zimmerman rotors. Any comments on the pads from pelican parts? Right now Performance Friction Z-Rated and textar are still my top picks.

I also don't mind dusting as I wash my car almost every weeks and have black wheels.
burnhamd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 04:12 PM   #7
blablac

My Ride: 240sx
tisher bmw has a really good price on the floating rotors from the euro 330i. Check it out under their perfomance section I think they were less than $80 a pop
blablac is offline   Reply With Quote