E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-15-2014, 07:13 PM   #1
Poncho@home

My Ride: MY04 330Cic ZSP
Deal hunters

I love getting deals. It's not even that I can't afford paying regular prices, but I really enjoy when I get deals.

This spring I was planning on getting KYB STR.T shocks/struts for my 330 vert. KONI has their spring special on until end of May, so I felt good to be able to get 25% off.

Out of nowhere a couple of weeks ago, I end up getting NIB H&R sport springs from a member here for $160 shipped, savings of $85 (35%).

So as I am about to place my order for the KONIs, I was just looking through my local classifieds and bam! Some guy received the wrong shocks for his 1999 E36 convertible, a cross over year, and had the KONIs for sell NIB as well. I paid $320 CDN for them, a savings an additional $50 from the KONI sale, if I purchased them in the US and had I drove down to get them, but a savings of an additional $170 (35%) if I purchased them locally!

All in all, some great purchases these last 2 weeks!!!

On top of all that, last night I saved about $800+ on tires & brakes for my 2011 Subaru Legacy ordering in the US vs Canada.

I won't get into the details how much I saved when I bought my 2 Subarus from the US, but it was around $18K. We still get raped on pricing here in Canada
Poncho@home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:20 PM   #2
Fergo

My Ride: still a gay 135i
Csb

2 easy 2 make hp turbos
Fergo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:31 PM   #3
04yfz

My Ride: A car
So what you're saying is you saved $50 to give up the Koni lifetime warranty?
Old 04-15-2014, 07:39 PM   #4
Poncho@home

No. I saved $50 US, plus my travel time and expenses to go to the US and get them. If I don't go away for 48 hours or more, thus incurring hotel expenses, I would also need to pay taxes and duties totalling another $85 CDN. So I saved around $140 in total cash, plus the effort required buying in the US and living in Canada. If I bought locally, I would have paid around $490 CDN, so I saved $170 from a local purchase.

Considering that is anywhere from 30%-35%, its worth giving up on the warranty IMO. Would you pay an additional 35% of a purchase price for a warranty?

Plus I might drop KONI a line and ask about transferring the warranty, since these are brand new in the box. Maybe I'll get lucky.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:11 PM   #5
04yfz

My Ride: A car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho@home View Post
No. I saved $50 US, plus my travel time and expenses to go to the US and get them. If I don't go away for 48 hours or more, thus incurring hotel expenses, I would also need to pay taxes and duties totalling another $85 CDN. So I saved around $140 in total cash, plus the effort required buying in the US and living in Canada. If I bought locally, I would have paid around $490 CDN, so I saved $170 from a local purchase.

Considering that is anywhere from 30%-35%, its worth giving up on the warranty IMO. Would you pay an additional 35% of a purchase price for a warranty?

Plus I might drop KONI a line and ask about transferring the warranty, since these are brand new in the box. Maybe I'll get lucky.
I guess I didn't read into detail and misunderstood what you were saying. When one shock costs about $130 to rebuild I'd say its probably worth the premium though. I actually bought my XI shocks similarly except the seller gave me the original receipt so I can still use the warranty.

Last edited by 04yfz; 04-15-2014 at 08:12 PM.
04yfz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:57 PM   #6
Poncho@home

Quote:
except the seller gave me the original receipt so I can still use the warranty
From what I read on KONIs site, the warranty only applies to the original retail purchaser, so if there is a name other than yours on the receipt, you might not have the warrarty.

I emailed KONI North America and explained the my situation, I'll see what they come back with.