E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2015, 03:02 AM   #1
Ephe

My Ride: 330ci
Power Steering - Just lines or lines and pump

Been lurking on the forums for a couple years now, but finally couldn't find a direct answer to my question so I made an account..

I have an 02 330ci (not sure if this is relevant or required information)

The other night I get off work, I hear this whining sound that gets louder relative to RPM (close to a super charger), then I get half way home and the car starts to feel a little grumbly along with this slight burning smell when I make a right turn. So I get home park the car, all is good. Come on here to look up the whining after skimming through all sorts of stuff, went out to check power steering reservoir and sure enough its empty. Went to the store and got some ATF (mine says ATF on the cap its old, read something or another about some CHF 11S here) put it up to about halfway and went on my way as normal. The whine is gone, no grumble, everything is back to normal. A good 12 hours later or so, reservoir is empty again.

I already ordered all the hoses (already checked for that luk20 luk30 nonsense so I'm pretty sure I got the right high pressure hoses), but I just want to know if there is anyways to tell if the pump is bad or not. Seems like the pump is fine, just the fluid is not staying in the car.

Last edited by Ephe; 09-01-2015 at 03:04 AM.
Ephe is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:35 AM   #2
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
well if the pump is bad it usually is the impeller shaft that breaks away from the pulley( where the belt is on). so the pulley turns but the shaft doesn't move internally
if you're losing fluid it can be the connection to the hose at fluid reservoir, the hoses, or the steering rack seals. usually in that order. clean up the engine bay and then look to see where it's leaking. should not be too hard to trace once clean and dry and doing a follow-up.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:17 AM   #3
Geo31
Ironman

My Ride: 98 M-Z3, 01 325iT
These reservoirs are notorious for leaking. Why the design was never changed I'll never know. The same design is used at least as far back as my 84 944.

Swim: 2.4 Miles
Bike: 112 Miles
Run: 26.2 Miles
Brag: For the rest of your life

Geo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 12:31 PM   #4
Koninkaulus

My Ride: E46 323 Ci
Achtung meine deuthcxze friend. My pump sounded like a super charger too and I replaced the pump and the noise is gone. I however didnt have any leaks. When you poured in more ATF the reservoir may have filled nicely, but once you started driving and turning the steering wheel back and forth the fluid got everywhere in the system and replaced air which is now in the reservoir tank. Now top up the reservoir once more and turn the steering wheel from side to side like 7 times (front axle up helps or just drive your bayerische motoren werke doing the side to side thing) Then check the reservoir again and repeat if necessary. It still may have a leak but this way you air the power steering system. The system should hold 1.1 liters if i recall correctly. If you need to pour in more you have a leak!

ATF is used in germany, CHF in colder climates. You should use ATF, especially if you have ATF in the system at the moment.
The pump is good if the steering is normal and it doesnt sound bad. Meaning your car wont explode if you drive with a bad pump. I drove my car with the super charger sound for like 4k km Thought it was a bad idler pulley at first and thought i'd fix it later lol
E36 318is Coupe

Last edited by Koninkaulus; 09-01-2015 at 12:37 PM.
Koninkaulus is offline   Reply With Quote