E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-04-2009, 02:29 AM   #1
aosipian

My Ride: 328I, E46
Steering wheel swap Single stage- Dual Stage airbag

Trying to swap a steering wheel on my 328I, 1999, it is a square airbag multifunction steering wheel. Reading the threads I understand that there might a case that I will not be able to install an M3 / sport wheel for later models with SMART airbags. However, I can see people doing that (within the threads) without any problems.

I was wondering, how many of you guys have done that. From technical view, if the system does not allow you to install that, why would smbd be able to do it, without any changes into control units.

Thanks
aosipian is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-13-2009, 03:03 AM   #2
kensou

My Ride: ///M3 E46 cab
Send a message via MSN to kensou Send a message via Yahoo to kensou
Hi,

I just successfully did the retrofit yesterday.
The problem is that we cannot be ensured that the stage2 airbag will work properly stage 1 system while we haven't had a crash

I've been hear that's possible to upgrade the sofware of the ABS module.
In the doubt, i'm going to ask to my BMW dealer whether that's possible and how does it costs.

Regards

Patrick
kensou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 09:05 AM   #3
David F

My Ride: 323i, 740iL, 633CSi
I think the consensus is that you can do the retrofit, but only one stage of the two stage airbag will function. Which is ok, because that is all you have on your '99 currently. Just make sure you connect the "high" power stage. The problem is that the only way to test to make sure you connected it correctly is to go crash your car...I don't recommend you do that. But, the consequence is that you have a car without a drivers airbag.

I wanted to replace my badly worn steering wheel, but the high costs steered me in the direction of refinish the wheel I have with Leatherique's steering wheel refinishing kit...$25.00.
David F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 09:11 AM   #4
2000_328CI

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Quote:
Originally Posted by David F View Post
I think the consensus is that you can do the retrofit, but only one stage of the two stage airbag will function. Which is ok, because that is all you have on your '99 currently. Just make sure you connect the "high" power stage. The problem is that the only way to test to make sure you connected it correctly is to go crash your car...I don't recommend you do that. But, the consequence is that you have a car without a drivers airbag.

I wanted to replace my badly worn steering wheel, but the high costs steered me in the direction of refinish the wheel I have with Leatherique's steering wheel refinishing kit...$25.00.
Bingo. I put an M3 wheel (with 2 stage airbag) on my 328Ci (which typically has the triangle steering wheel with 1 stage airbag). Most have said that it will simply deploy only one of the two airbags in the two stage in the event of a crash (which is fine as it will do it's job) but others have said the car won't understand the airbag system at all and may not deploy it. I am going to hope that, should anything happen, the former train of thought is accurate but can't be 100% certain. That said, the m3 wheel is just too nice to pass over

| 435 HP 328Ci | Mechanical Work : RRT Racing | Vinyl Work : Designer Wraps | Vorsteiner | STATUS Racing |
Timeless Motor Group
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 11:42 AM   #5
omairkhanzada

My Ride: m
F it.... no airbag!!! muahahahahaha

i would try and see whats really up with that ABS module update!!!

and when did they start to put SMART airbags?
omairkhanzada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 03:23 PM   #6
hi its me alec

My Ride: BMWs + 1988 Pathy
Send a message via AIM to hi its me alec Send a message via MSN to hi its me alec
Think of it this way - the airbag system is the e46 is overly-sensitive... i.e. if you remove the front seats without disconnecting the battery, the airbag light will be tripped. If there were a problem with single/dual stage airbags, the airbag light would most certainly come on. It comes on and stays on for every other reason
Old 09-18-2009, 02:46 PM   #7
omairkhanzada

My Ride: m
when did they start installing smart airbags ???
omairkhanzada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 12:02 PM   #8
Bradford

My Ride: 323ci, 330i, 993TT
Old thread here, but I am changing my triangle 2000 sport steering wheel/airbag with a M3 steering wheel w/round two stage airbag. Will this trigger the airbag light?
Bradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 12:17 PM   #9
ryanwhite74115

My Ride: 2013 Infiniti G37S
no if you install the plugs correctly.
ryanwhite74115 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 12:32 PM   #10
Bradford

My Ride: 323ci, 330i, 993TT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwhite74115 View Post
no if you install the plugs correctly.
Please explain? Can you plug it in incorrectly?
Bradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 09:13 AM   #11
l2iceman

My Ride: 2001 325i
bringing this back...

my steering wheel on my 2001 325i needs replacing, and I want to replace it with another e46 oem wheel with the radio/cruise buttons on it...if I was to pick one up without an airbag, can I swap my airbag from my current wheel into it no problem?
l2iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:58 AM   #12
Mpower Jones

My Ride: E46 323ci
bump?
Mpower Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:08 AM   #13
Jmanscotch

My Ride: makes my pants tight
Quote:
Originally Posted by l2iceman View Post
bringing this back...

my steering wheel on my 2001 325i needs replacing, and I want to replace it with another e46 oem wheel with the radio/cruise buttons on it...if I was to pick one up without an airbag, can I swap my airbag from my current wheel into it no problem?
A bit late but, you cannot use the triagnle airbag on the newer wheels with the round airbags. However, if you are just going to swap wheels for a newer one or go from the sport wheel to the M3 wheel, you can simply transfer over the round airbag, all plug-n-play there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower Jones View Post
bump?
A few ideas/questions were asked, you may want to specify to which you want the answer.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:12 AM   #14
Drizzles

My Ride: 1999 BMW 318i E46 4D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmanscotch View Post
A bit late but, you cannot use the triagnle airbag on the newer wheels with the round airbags. However, if you are just going to swap wheels for a newer one or go from the sport wheel to the M3 wheel, you can simply transfer over the round airbag, all plug-n-play there.

A few ideas/questions were asked, you may want to specify to which you want the answer.
WAIT wait wait WAIT DAMNIT

I was told I COULDN'T fit the M3 wheel ....

This means I CAN???
Old 05-05-2011, 12:02 PM   #15
TerraPhantm

My Ride: M3 & ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
Bingo. I put an M3 wheel (with 2 stage airbag) on my 328Ci (which typically has the triangle steering wheel with 1 stage airbag). Most have said that it will simply deploy only one of the two airbags in the two stage in the event of a crash (which is fine as it will do it's job) but others have said the car won't understand the airbag system at all and may not deploy it. I am going to hope that, should anything happen, the former train of thought is accurate but can't be 100% certain. That said, the m3 wheel is just too nice to pass over
Given the uncertainty, I think it'd be worth it spending a couple hundred bucks and retrofitting the dual stage controller. Fwiw, I think 09/1999 and later cars have the dual stage controller already; they just need to be recoded so that they know a dual stage airbag is installers. Cars built before then need to retrofit the controller and then have it recoded. The coding tools are smart enough to code only the driver side as dual stage when doing the retrofit btw.

Btw fwiw, the dual stage airbags aren't actually two separate airbags. From what I understand, the difference is simply the delay between two signals that are sent as the firing sequence. I'm not sure if the "high-impact" sequence matches the sequence that the single stage bags get

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 05-05-2011 at 12:08 PM.
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:29 PM   #16
Drizzles

My Ride: 1999 BMW 318i E46 4D
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
Given the uncertainty, I think it'd be worth it spending a couple hundred bucks and retrofitting the dual stage controller. Fwiw, I think 09/1999 and later cars have the dual stage controller already; they just need to be recoded so that they know a dual stage airbag is installers. Cars built before then need to retrofit the controller and then have it recoded. The coding tools are smart enough to code only the driver side as dual stage when doing the retrofit btw.

Btw fwiw, the dual stage airbags aren't actually two separate airbags. From what I understand, the difference is simply the delay between two signals that are sent as the firing sequence. I'm not sure if the "high-impact" sequence matches the sequence that the single stage bags get
Fair enough, that throws out the window for the time being again then
Old 07-15-2011, 01:42 PM   #17
ao125

My Ride: 00 328Ci, 05 C320 4M
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
I have a new-er wheel on order. The triangle wheel I have is all kinds of beat up.

Did you encounter any wiring issues, or was it fairly plug-and-play?

ao125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 08:44 AM   #18
Patton323I

My Ride: R1100GS E46 E53
My triangle wheel is getting a little beat as well. I would love to throw in an M3 wheel. Wouldn't mind the retrofitting and coding. I was led to believe that this wasn't possible at all....
Old 01-02-2016, 10:49 PM   #19
lllRazorlll
Modded ///Member

My Ride: '00 328i
Thread bump but I have a few questions. What's the difference between single stage and dual stage airbags? Does the stock non-sport airbag on a 10/99 production E46 have a single stage airbag? Is the triangle steering wheel airbag single stage also?
lllRazorlll is offline   Reply With Quote