E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 08-12-2010, 01:28 PM   #21
carsos

My Ride: '03 325Ci
so what's the reason behind fanatics preferring the stewart water pump? the ECS tuning kit looks convenient and is priced right, but if there's a compelling reason, i'll get the stewart water pump.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:44 PM   #22
CokMinusTheS54

My Ride: '01 TiAg 325Ci 5mt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpwerx View Post
How long did it take you to do this?
Took me about 6.5 hours with a few short breaks, but it looks like you've got a radiator to do as well. I've never replaced one before but it doesn't seem like it would be that much more work, maybe another 30 mins?

Shortyb aslo had some good comments about the Expansion tank.

Another thing I would like to say is that, after reading this thread, Joe at ECSTuning decided to rectify the fact that there was no kit with the aluminum ECS pulley when I ordered, so he sent one to me free of charge. I think that really says something about ECS as a company and Joe as a service rep, they're awesome! I would definitely recommend them as a vendor
Old 08-26-2010, 06:59 AM   #23
stapler12345

My Ride: Sakhir Orange M6
when you unscrewed the four bolts on the WP pulley, did the pulley come right off when u pulled it out? I think mine is rusted and i sprayed it with WD40 and nothing happened

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin Koolaid View Post
I've never heard of a woman wanting more than she actually deserved. Never.
stapler12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 05:30 PM   #24
rossisboss

My Ride: '03 330i sedan ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJinx View Post
Nice write up! Just a heads up for wagon owners- if you buy a cooling kit be sure you are getting the correct radiator for the wagon. BMW uses a thicker, extra capacity version in the wagon which I notice is not always listed on vendors web sites.
has anyone ever put a wagon rad into a regular sedan/coupe then? If it fit that would give you a little extra cooling capacity right?
Old 12-03-2010, 05:33 PM   #25
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Just curious. I think I already know the answer, but does that kit come with all three tensioner rollers? And did you replace those? What about your belts? Props on the cooling system--you did it right. But there's more to the cooling system than whats in the kit.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 05:34 PM   #26
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhype View Post
when you unscrewed the four bolts on the WP pulley, did the pulley come right off when u pulled it out? I think mine is rusted and i sprayed it with WD40 and nothing happened
If you're not reusing the pulley or the water pump, just take both out as a unit and toss it. Otherwise put a piece of cloth between the pulley and a screwdriver and just pry it apart.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 12-03-2010, 05:46 PM   #27
Custom3

My Ride: HellRot 330CI
nice DIY! alot of this is already posted on other threads but its good to have all of it in one single post...great job! ECS should hook you up with a discount
Custom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 08:42 PM   #28
Blocked Out

My Ride: Imola 330i M-Sport
Great write up OP, but I gotta ask what was wrong with your current parts? Like what was wrong with your hoses or ET?

Also, why did you change your crappy OEM WP for the same crappy one?
Quote:
Originally Posted by carsos View Post
so what's the reason behind fanatics preferring the stewart water pump? the ECS tuning kit looks convenient and is priced right, but if there's a compelling reason, i'll get the stewart water pump.
Reason why many people, including myself, choose Stewart WP, is because of its design and durability. I couldnt care less about the fact that it pumps more volume, I only care that it has a lifetime warranty and the fact that its bearing is tough and will NOT fail. OEM pumps are crap, ALL of them. Plastic ones will desegregate and the metal impeller ones cause the bearing to crap out very prematurely.

====>>> E46 Coupe Airbags
IMG_1725
Blocked Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 07:05 AM   #29
tttomttt

My Ride: 2003 330xi
I second the comment on the metal impellar reducing the life of the WP bearing. Last spring I accomplished a timing belt replacement on my 2003 Ford Focus using a terrific DIY from another site. Of course I did the smart thing and as a precaution replaced all belt tensioners and WP and the new WP had a metal impellar which at the time I was pleased to see. Less than 6 mos. later I was back in replacing that WP with a new one. Not that it was a big deal to replace but I was kinda pissed I took the time to replace a part with no issues as a hedge against future problems and ended redoing the job anyway. Upcoming cooling sys. overhaul on my 2003 330xi will include the stewart pump. I try to learn from any life lesson dished out.
tttomttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:14 PM   #30
vinytek323

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323i
This DIY looks GREAT!
I just ordered my Level 2 kit with pulley from ECS Tuning. I also Ordered Dayco pulley for my mechanical tensioner. Everything should arrive by next week and i'll post my results.
Peace.
vinytek323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:38 PM   #31
ECSTuning
Sponsor

My Ride: BMW
Thanks again for the orders everyone and let us know if you have any questions!

Have questions? Need answers? Live Chat us! 8:30am to 12:00am Midnight EST
sales@ecstuning.com | customerservice@ecstuning.com
Customer Service Hours: M - F 8:00am - 8:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
Sales Team Hours: M - F 8:00am - 11:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST | 800.924.5172
Do you love surveys? Click HERE to take our Customer Satisfaction Survey!
ECSTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 06:47 PM   #32
carsos

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhype View Post
mine won't budge either, it looks rusted on. i tried some pb blaster, that didn't seem to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
If you're not reusing the pulley or the water pump, just take both out as a unit and toss it. Otherwise put a piece of cloth between the pulley and a screwdriver and just pry it apart.
you can't reach the bolts for removing the water pump without first removing the pulley

Old 05-19-2011, 03:37 AM   #33
magnuzza

My Ride: Black 323i
Good write up
magnuzza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:26 AM   #34
lucas_pln

My Ride: 330I '05
I believe this is temperature sensor, not the fan switch.
Fan switch is connected higher up on the side of the fan.

lucas_pln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:31 AM   #35
Tutankhamon

My Ride: '02 Individual 330ci
Send a message via ICQ to Tutankhamon Send a message via AIM to Tutankhamon Send a message via MSN to Tutankhamon
Excellent writeup and great job! Thanks for taking the time to help us all out
Old 05-20-2011, 03:02 PM   #36
carsos

after having learned a nice lesson, i think it might help someone else if this was edited into the OP: ***the bolt in the hydraulic belt tensioner MIGHT be T50, but some are 8mm hex!***

here's what happened to me: since it's in a tight spot and was hard to see, i put the T50 bit into the bolt by feeling around, and it fit right in. turns out, a T50 bit will fit into an 8mm hex socket, but once you apply pressure to detension the belt, the T50 will strip it. so, cautionary tale: visually check which bolt your tensioner has before doing anything! i had to remove the tensioner and extract the stripped bolt. i got a replacement bolt from BMW and the new one is indeed T50.

attaching a bonus picture of my disaster.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aaaaaargh.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	404188  
Old 05-20-2011, 06:01 PM   #37
M3Monsta

My Ride: Nada
Is this proven to add HP or any differences?
Old 10-01-2011, 08:20 AM   #38
itscoo2pyopants

My Ride: E53 4.8is
Send a message via AIM to itscoo2pyopants
OP did you purchase the aftermarket kit or OEM?

if aftermarket, how was the fitment on everything?
Old 10-03-2011, 10:26 AM   #39
ECSTuning
Sponsor

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by itscoo2pyopants View Post
OP did you purchase the aftermarket kit or OEM?

if aftermarket, how was the fitment on everything?
In case the OP ordered the OEM, our aftermarket kit fitment is just as nice as the OEM. All parts contained in the kit are quality OEM replacement parts.

ECS Tuning

Have questions? Need answers? Live Chat us! 8:30am to 12:00am Midnight EST
sales@ecstuning.com | customerservice@ecstuning.com
Customer Service Hours: M - F 8:00am - 8:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
Sales Team Hours: M - F 8:00am - 11:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST | 800.924.5172
Do you love surveys? Click HERE to take our Customer Satisfaction Survey!
ECSTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:46 AM   #40
Mango
A full five stars, son

ECS, I still think you are misleading customers (maybe not on purpose) into a false sense of security with your cooling "kits". I've bought parts from you and generally have received good service, so don't take this the wrong way. Take it as advice.

You guys need to a)bring the price down of these kits just a tad, and b)include the tensioners and belts with the kits. And even the radiator. Until then, replacing two hoses and a water pump really isn't a refresh.

A BMW cooling system is only as strong as its weakest link. And a lot of times, its the belts and tensioners are it. Not to mention fan blade and fan clutch for automatics. Any of the parts *not* included in your kit have a tendency to fail and will bring down the cooling system.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS

Last edited by Mango; 10-03-2011 at 10:47 AM.

Tags
cooling system, diy