E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-30-2011, 12:41 AM   #1
NorthJersey 3er

My Ride: '03 M3 / '72 2002tii
Bulb Carrier not making contact for trunk lights - anyone else?

Our bulb carrier for the taillights double as the trunk lights when its open as we know, what bothers me is that I need to constantly reapply pressure to it in order to make contact to keep the lights on. Anybody else have an issue with this? Is there anything that can be done?

co-founder of
euro techniks

NorthJersey 3er is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:28 AM   #2
johnrando

My Ride: '06 330 CIC ZHP
I have the same problem with my driver's side one, passenger is fine. Let me know what you find to fix, as I've never really tried to address this. If I kinda push on it, it will work temporarily, but eventually come loose.

ZHP, Cold Weather Pkg., Leather, Jet Black/Black/Black Cube, NAV
AA Tune, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf. Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan STEP S/W & TB, TMS Pulleys, H&R Touring Cup Kit
DICE Ipod, Parrot/Connects2 Bluetooth, StealthOne Valentine Module, Hardwired V1
BMW Perf. Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan delete
johnrando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:04 PM   #3
beeemerdude
Banned User

My Ride: Cabrio. Stick.
I have this problem w/ pass side trunk light...not sure what the contact problem is...but for mine,...all's I havta do, when I open the trunk is tap the light lightly,..then light comes on...annoying, but been too but to bend over & look inside to see whazzup....
beeemerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:57 PM   #4
NorthJersey 3er

Yeah its just not making contact like it should be. I wish they had some kind of screw in method that would have it firmly seated where it should be. Would that have been so hard, bmw?

co-founder of
euro techniks

Old 09-02-2011, 07:32 AM   #5
von jot

My Ride: E46 330Ci Exec Conv
Just bend the contacts out a bit (carefully!!). Did it 6 months ago, still both lights OK.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:27 PM   #6
sfhondapilot

My Ride: e46 M3 cic
Same problem (on both sides). I simply bang on the cover until the light goes on.

997TT / e83 / e46 M3 / e90 335xia / B7 A4 (sold) / Sienna Limited AWD / Honda Pilot EXL-RES (sold)
sfhondapilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:05 AM   #7
ayy itss daveee

My Ride: E46 M3 Vert
Send a message via AIM to ayy itss daveee
I have the same issue... Every time I open the trunk the lights aren't on.. I just tap them and they turn right on.. Pretty annoying, but I haven't figured out any way to fix it.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:17 PM   #8
Phoenix330ci

My Ride: 04 330Ci Convertible
Have the same issue on the drivers side. I took my car to a dent removal place to get a small ding out of the side of the car. They ended up going in through the rear light on the drivers side with their rods. When they put the light back in they didnt have it seated just properly so the inner light would connect right and would kind of pop out. The only way to get the light on was to hold it in. Then I realized what the problem was and fixed it. However the next time into the trunck the light would not come on so I tapped it and it came on. I think I also messed with bending the metal contact out. probably still have to adjust it a little more for it to work perfectly.

Anyway, here is some food for thought and what to look for for the guy up there saying he has to hold it in......
Old 09-15-2011, 12:27 AM   #9
radarcontact

My Ride: 2006 330CiC/ZHP
Cover it with a subwoofer!! lol http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...936&highlight=

Btw guys, your cars are frikkin' beautiful!
radarcontact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 09:38 AM   #10
uncompiled

My Ride: G37xS & 330Ci ZHP
It's kind of funny that until I saw this thread, I didn't really think of it as a problem. I have the same issue, but only with my passenger side trunk light. One day, it stopped working and I thought it was broken, so I pressed on it and it came back on. It probably stops working whenever I throw my briefcase or gym bag in the trunk and it hits the trunk light. For such an expensive car, this is a really weird design flaw. I bet a Honda Fit has trunk lights that don't randomly turn off.
uncompiled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:00 AM   #11
dkuchta

My Ride: 325cic
Just ran across this on the front page, there is a recall, not sure if it is the same thing, but worth takeing a look, http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=867564
dkuchta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 02:59 PM   #12
johnrando

My Ride: '06 330 CIC ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkuchta View Post
Just ran across this on the front page, there is a recall, not sure if it is the same thing, but worth takeing a look, http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=867564
It's not the same thing.

ZHP, Cold Weather Pkg., Leather, Jet Black/Black/Black Cube, NAV
AA Tune, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf. Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan STEP S/W & TB, TMS Pulleys, H&R Touring Cup Kit
DICE Ipod, Parrot/Connects2 Bluetooth, StealthOne Valentine Module, Hardwired V1
BMW Perf. Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan delete
johnrando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:53 PM   #13
NorthJersey 3er

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkuchta View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrando View Post
It's not the same thing.
Yeah its not, but thanks for trying. My friend actually just tweaked the metal contact patch on the carrier back plate. Now when it gets snapped in it makes continuous contact. Problem solved a few months ago, haven't had a problem since.

co-founder of
euro techniks

Old 04-17-2015, 03:59 PM   #14
billeldon

My Ride: 2004 325Ci
Both of my trunk lights, I realize, have quit working in the past couple of weeks sometime. Haven't done anything but drive my recently-acquired vehicle. Time to start investigating...
billeldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 04:05 PM   #15
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
i took mind out and cleaned the metal where it makes contact, over there years a bit of oxidation has occured, so that helped. Also, i bent the metal a little bit that way it is pushing harder against the contact area.