E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-11-2008, 03:33 PM   #1
peanut_man

My Ride: 2008 335i Sport Pkg
So I woke up early today... Throttle Body / Idle Control Valve Cleaning DIY

So, I had a meeting today at 8am (yeah, Saturday, yay I love my job... NOT). Anyway, since I'm up and the gf is sound a sleep and the meeting got done early I decided to attempt to clean the idle control valve and while at it also the throttle body.

I've been trying to resolve the hunting idle issue for some time. I've tried using Seafoam before w/ limited success. In previous cars I have had great success to reduce sticky throttle and smooth out idle. It seems this is the only sure way to clean out the gunk that's built up in the ICV.

As usual, the planned time of 1 hr got bloated to 4 hr because I never done this before and there are a bunch of 'undocumented' procedure that must be done before I can get to the ICV and the TB.

Ok, so here goes the overview:

1) Remove the airbox
2) Remove the MAF
3) Remove the 1st section of the airduct
4) Remove the cabin filter + housing
5) Remove the plastic panel around the left strut tower (Need for clearance!)
6) Remove the intake resonance valve
7) Remove the ICV
8) Clean ICV + TB
9) Assemble in reverse

Well, that's the way i found easiest, after fumbling and making so many mistakes. But hey, I'm going thru the pain so you guys doesn't have to, rt? First remove the air box

Getting the 1st section of the air duct out is a bit complicated. I later realized that I really should have removed all the other stuff that are in the way first: cabin filter housing, intake resonance valve and plastic baffle around the strut column.

Here's the intake resonance valve:

Here's the plastic baffle out:

It was pretty hard to get the metal straps out from the Y air duct as they were facing toward the rear. Using flexible connector and various adapters I was able to get it loose enough. Pull out the duct.

You can see here the intake manifold resonance valve (top black hole), idle control valve intake (smaller hole on the right) and the throttle body (lower opening). Remove this bracket nut and move it out of the way first:

Unplug, unbolt, and wiggle out the ICV together w/ the brackets.

Here's the view with the ICV removed.

Look at the gunky stuff build up inside:

I use throttle body cleaner + Seafoam Deep Creep. The throttle body cleaner remove most of the gunk pretty well. The Deep Creep remove some but it also lubricates, so I use that last.

Clean it as best I could:

I prop the throttle open w/ a socket extension section wrapped in electrical tape so not to damage anything. Again I use throttle body cleaner + Deep Creep to clean and lubricate the TB. I use plastic bags and some rag stuffed under the TB to absorb any run-offs.

Wipe every thing clean before reassemble, in reverse order. The only thing I make sure of is that the Y air duct, I made sure that the screw for the straps are pointed up so next time it'll be easier to get to if needed.

Well, went for a test drive, not bad, the idle is definitely way smoother. Throttle response seems to be better as well, but maybe just my head. At stop light the engine runs so smooth, just as it should be. I haven't noticed any rpm hunting yet, but I haven't drive the car extensively yet.

Hope this helps you guys out.
peanut_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-11-2008, 06:25 PM   #2
jenewein

My Ride: 323i
Nice diy!
I did this about a week ago and having this DIY would've made it a lot easier!
Old 10-11-2008, 06:44 PM   #3
330CiC2001

My Ride: 01 330CiC
Gotta try it..swett DIY.!
Old 10-12-2008, 06:03 AM   #4
weisiong123

My Ride: 323ci
Very very good pictures. Thanks for sharing. I couldn't remove the ICV and intake boot connected to the Throttle body cause of the damn hose clamps position below. Whats the best way to access that hose clamp?
weisiong123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 07:40 AM   #5
peanut_man

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisiong123 View Post
Very very good pictures. Thanks for sharing. I couldn't remove the ICV and intake boot connected to the Throttle body cause of the damn hose clamps position below. Whats the best way to access that hose clamp?
Yes, that's exactly what took me awhile to figured out. But basically to gain enough clearance, you'll need to remove the cabin filter housing + the black plastic baffle around the left shock tower (see pics above). Then I use small socket and 4" extension to remove the metal hose clamps. It's not easy, there's very little wiggle room. Real pain.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:46 AM   #6
weisiong123

My Ride: 323ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut_man View Post
Yes, that's exactly what took me awhile to figured out. But basically to gain enough clearance, you'll need to remove the cabin filter housing + the black plastic baffle around the left shock tower (see pics above). Then I use small socket and 4" extension to remove the metal hose clamps. It's not easy, there's very little wiggle room. Real pain.
I did remove those, but I am really afraid of dropping tools in the car..I always drop screws and stuff and it pisses me off.

Or should I just rip the damn intake boot out? since I have a new piece waiting to be installed. lol
weisiong123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 10:54 AM   #7
peanut_man

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisiong123 View Post
I did remove those, but I am really afraid of dropping tools in the car..I always drop screws and stuff and it pisses me off.

Or should I just rip the damn intake boot out? since I have a new piece waiting to be installed. lol
The strap will still be on the TB / ICV if you try to rip it out. So, probably not going to help you there. As for dropping screws, the strap screws won't come out so that's not your problem. Most other screws can be replaced anyway. I have drop numerous nuts bolts, etc. Usually I either find them made their way down to the floor or I can fish it out w/ one of those megnetic retrieval wand. If all else failed, I just run over to the BMW dealer to get a new part. As for dropping tools, here's my suggestion, electrical tape:

Of course, it depends on your comfort level. If you really aren't comfortable working on your car, maybe it's really not your cup of tea. Let a friend or a mechanic handle it for you. Just make sure you keep your friends happy w/ some cold ones...

Last edited by peanut_man; 10-12-2008 at 10:57 AM.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:08 PM   #8
Miko_10

My Ride: 330i 5 Spd
I'm always amazed whenever fanatics have the patience to take pics for DIYs, OP Great DIY and thanks for posting. I almost went ahead with removing the intake resonance valve and ICV when i was going through my rough idle issues but thankfully never had to go that far with cleaning, I just did a complete seafoam/deep creep treatment and that was good enough for me. I can relate to the intake boot being a PITA, it definitely takes some patience getting that intake boot out, there isn't much room around that area and I had to loosen that clamp blind since the bolt on mine was on the underside for the intake boot.
Old 10-28-2008, 01:24 PM   #9
ddl02330ci

My Ride: 2002 3.30 CI
Great writeup and DIY! I also saw this in another post and found the actual reference in my manual. According to the Bentley service manual (see 130-18) there's a procedure to reconfigure the EDK after it has been removed or replaced:
- Turn ingintion ON (do not start)
- Turn ingnition off for 10 secs
- Start engine
ddl02330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:34 PM   #10
TKC

My Ride: 330cic & R6
Send a message via AIM to TKC
Your engine bay is diiiirty.....

But nice write up
Old 11-09-2008, 12:32 AM   #11
Dannyncc

My Ride: Aw m3
Send a message via ICQ to Dannyncc Send a message via AIM to Dannyncc Send a message via MSN to Dannyncc Send a message via Yahoo to Dannyncc Send a message via Skype™ to Dannyncc
DID mine and i got SES now.
gonna get it read out tomorrow
.. :'(
Old 11-09-2008, 03:24 AM   #12
Jason@Euro-Division
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: e46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyncc View Post
DID mine and i got SES now.
gonna get it read out tomorrow
.. :'(
Maybe you did not tighten the intake boot enough, just like what happened to me.

Your Australian Source For BMW

EXTERIOR / INTERIOR / LIGHTING / WHEELS / BRAKES / CF PARTS
Jason@Euro-Division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 05:17 AM   #13
Dannyncc

My Ride: Aw m3
Send a message via ICQ to Dannyncc Send a message via AIM to Dannyncc Send a message via MSN to Dannyncc Send a message via Yahoo to Dannyncc Send a message via Skype™ to Dannyncc
wat will be the code?
Old 11-09-2008, 10:07 PM   #14
iDriftYou

My Ride: is a HighWay monster
Thanks soo much man. Did this today and car feels soooooo much smoother while idling! I love you for this!

Current: 1990 Toyota Supra
Mods: CP pistons/ Eagle rods/ HKS MHG/ 264 Cams/ Rebuilt CT26
Future: GT35r
My DIY:
DIY ZF 5HP19 Transmission Drain/ Refill : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...12#post9551712

"My life doesn't only move in a straight line, why should my car?"
iDriftYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 09:12 PM   #15
walkabout

My Ride: 325xi
Very nice write up, it is possible to remove the icv without first removing the DISA?
walkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 11:47 PM   #16
peanut_man

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKC View Post
Your engine bay is diiiirty.....

But nice write up
Alright, you got me... what's the best way to clean the engine bay?
Old 11-15-2008, 11:52 PM   #17
peanut_man

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkabout View Post
Very nice write up, it is possible to remove the icv without first removing the DISA?
Hmmm... don't think you could. Besides, it's literally 2 screws and one connector. Just do it.

Last edited by peanut_man; 11-15-2008 at 11:55 PM.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:17 AM   #18
mps

My Ride: 2002 325ci
Why dont I see the pictures anymore??? Mods, please help..

Thanks for the write up !!
mps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 05:09 PM   #19
xaiolin

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
I just cleaned my icv this past weekend. How often should we do this?
xaiolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:02 PM   #20
heavyfoot

My Ride: 323i
Wow.. this is a great DIY. I have the same problem with my 323i, and would love to be able to try this. But I'm not comfortable doing it by myself, and don't think I have all the tools necessary either. Does anyone have suggestions for mechanics in the Dallas, TX area who would do this clean, and not rip me off?
Thanks!
heavyfoot is offline   Reply With Quote