E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2016, 06:35 PM   #1
Archbid

My Ride: 2003 330cic
Am I going to kill myself with this DIY

I found out that the detent pin caps on my 5-speed manual are leaking. For now, I am going to just top it off and not worry about it, but I hate leaks (OCD).

So I know the parts are cheap, but I would have to remove the transmission to do the project, which I feel that I could do. I am not a seasoned mechanic, but I am patient and have done quite a few repairs so far.

The question is whether it is insane to do this project. I have only jackstands, no lift, so I would have to drop the transmission, remove it, replace the pins and caps, then replace it. When I think about it it seems daunting, so I thought I would ask more experienced folks what they think.

Thanks in advance
Archbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:16 PM   #2
lolapexseals

My Ride: 330i zsp
Alone without a trans jack is dangerous. Two strong people is doable, a 3rd just to undo the final bolt is helpful.
lolapexseals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 08:35 PM   #3
iowna330xi

My Ride: is not yet fast.
I've removed my trans alone twice. Even with all of the bell housing bolts off, the trans wont simply fall off. You'll need to pry it off and essentially drop the trans onto a jack. I like to put the drain plug part of the trans on top of the jack. After that, simply lower the trans and out it goes. Seems simple huh? Disclaimer: Don't do this. I'm not responsible if you break or cause any bodily harm to you or anyone else. Have someone else be there with you.

Last edited by iowna330xi; 12-05-2016 at 08:37 PM.
iowna330xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 08:50 PM   #4
Archbid

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolapexseals View Post
Alone without a trans jack is dangerous. Two strong people is doable, a 3rd just to undo the final bolt is helpful.
Can you fit a trans jack and get the transmission to clear while the car is on jackstands?
Old 12-05-2016, 08:58 PM   #5
iowna330xi

My Ride: is not yet fast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archbid View Post
Can you fit a trans jack and get the transmission to clear while the car is on jackstands?
Not sure about the footprint of a trans jack, but if you can't get your car to the highest notch of the jackstand (not that its needed) you need it at least as high as the trans itself. Once you get the trans on the jack, you can tilt the trans off the jack and onto a towel or moving blanket on the floor. After that, you can slide the trans out of the car. Thats how i've done it

Last edited by iowna330xi; 12-05-2016 at 09:00 PM.
iowna330xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 09:01 PM   #6
lolapexseals

My Ride: 330i zsp
Quote:
Sorta what i meant hence the 2 people minimum.
lolapexseals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 09:04 PM   #7
mikeetastic

My Ride: lots of 3
Quote:
yes i have this http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...ack-61232.html

useful when removing as it supports it but when reinstalling pretty useless to me as i couldnt get the angle right and height right.. I just lifted my transmission instead (5 speed w/o fluid) and put it into place.

i would buy this instead and it looks much better http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...ack-60234.html
mikeetastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 09:39 PM   #8
Renboy

My Ride: 04 330Ci '08 Daytona
If you can bench press 100lbs, then you can do the tranny yourself. There isn't a lot of room when working under jackstands so I removed the bolts and basically dropped the transmission onto my chest (slowly), then rolled it off my chest onto the floor. That's the easy part, bench pressing it back up and lining it up without getting tired and dropping it on your forehead, that's where the challenge comes in.
Renboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 10:24 PM   #9
BKMrSteel

My Ride: 99 328i
Removing transmissions on jack stands in the driveway sucks $&@"! I would recommend assessing how much it's really leaking, and how long before you need to do other work in the aria, like clutch stuff.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:54 PM   #10
Archbid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKMrSteel View Post
Removing transmissions on jack stands in the driveway sucks $&@"! I would recommend assessing how much it's really leaking, and how long before you need to do other work in the aria, like clutch stuff.
That sounds sage. I already had the clutch replaced (before I got bold about DIY), so I think I will wait for the rear main seal to hemorrhage.

Last edited by Archbid; 12-07-2016 at 04:44 PM.
Old 12-07-2016, 12:02 PM   #11
white_335i

My Ride: 03 330i/M3/5/6 spd
I just dropped the transmission on my 330xi few day ago. I bought the harbor freight transmission jack and lifted my car about 16-18" off the ground. That was plenty to clear the transmission..

If you had clutch replaced recently, I would hope you would not have issues with your exhaust bolts and the tranny bell housing bolts. That was the challenging part for me removing the transmission. The four exhaust bolts pretty much snapped.
white_335i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 04:44 PM   #12
Archbid

Quote:
Originally Posted by white_335i View Post
I just dropped the transmission on my 330xi few day ago. I bought the harbor freight transmission jack and lifted my car about 16-18" off the ground. That was plenty to clear the transmission..

If you had clutch replaced recently, I would hope you would not have issues with your exhaust bolts and the tranny bell housing bolts. That was the challenging part for me removing the transmission. The four exhaust bolts pretty much snapped.
Which jack did you buy? And how long did the job take (I assume you were doing the clutch)?
Old 12-07-2016, 04:51 PM   #13
white_335i

My Ride: 03 330i/M3/5/6 spd
I bought the one that is listed for 160. I haven't put it back together yet. Waiting on few parts.. and yes, for clutch replacement. The TOB was shattered.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using E46Fanatics mobile app
white_335i is offline   Reply With Quote