E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average. Display Modes
Old 05-16-2015, 06:33 PM   #1
crackerlee

My Ride: 2003 325Ci Conv.
Replaced my RTAB (DIY with pics)

I had replaced my front lower control arm bushings about 2000 miles ago, with PowerFlex bushings. I wanted to replace my RTABs too before getting an alignment. I am replacing with Lemfoerder #33322228153.

This is for a 2003 E46 Convertible. Yours may be slightly different.

Tools/materials needed:
18mm socket (with an extension) to remove the three RTAB mounting bolts.
A second 18 mm socket or box wrench to remove the one RTAB center bolt.
10mm socket to remove the one brake line bolt.
17mm socket to remove lug nuts.
Torque wrench.
Floor jack.
Jack stands.
Block of wood, 8" long, 3-5" wide, 3/4" thick. The 3/4" thickness will play a role.
A little anti seize.
Three hours of time.

1. rent yourself this tool. I got mine here: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1071805
Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide1.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	600637

2. Jack up and support your car.

Name:	Slide2.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	600636

3. Before unbolting the RTAB bracket, carefully unclip the wiring that runs along the trailing arm, and unbolt the 10mm brake-line bracket.

Name:	Slide3.jpg
Views:	530
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	600638

4. You'll want an alignment after this job, but try and re-install the bracket as close to aligned as possible.

Name:	Slide4.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	600639

5.With the arm extended, you're ready to remove the old bushing.

Name:	Slide5.jpg
Views:	511
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	600640

6. old and new bushing

Name:	Slide6.jpg
Views:	526
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	600641

7. install the new bushing

Name:	Slide7.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	600642

8. re-installing the bracket and finishing the job.
Update: Be sure to position the bracket (search for "RTAB preload") when reinstalling the bracket to the bushing (single 18mm bolt) so the bushings don't twist when attaching the (three 18mm bolts) bracket to the car (the bracket should be about flat against the car body). If it is not, you might be putting tension on the bushing which will greatly reduce the service life.

Name:	Slide8.jpg
Views:	503
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	600643

Last edited by crackerlee; 05-17-2015 at 09:01 AM.
crackerlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-16-2015, 07:04 PM   #2
325ragtop

My Ride: needs more HP
Great write up! I really like how you took time to add all your text to the photos... makes for very easy reading. Speaking from experience, I will reiterate that this is a job that is MUCH easier when you have the right tools. I've done a couple of these cars with a combination of the Harbor Freight Heavy Duty Ball Joint Press kit and a combination of home brew tools... i.e: very large 3/4" drive sockets with 1/2" thread rod and double nuts, etc.... Trust me, you really want that tool shown in photo 1.
325ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 08:03 PM   #3
bimmernate

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
great DIY! how did you "preload" the bushing when you tightened up the bracket? what was your reference point? different people do it different ways, i've seen some people use 8mm above wheel bearing center line but am just curious. Thanks

2003 330i ZHP 6MT
Performance: Koni Sport Struts/Shocks, Eibach Pro-Kit, 17x9 Apex ARC-8, TMS F&R Sway bars, M3 RTABs w/ Vorshlag Limiters, M3 Strut Brace

Aesthetics/Functionality: TFX Projector retrofit by lightwerkz, 20% Tint, OEM Aux Input, Clear corners, LED taillights, M3 Steering wheel, Black kidney grills, mobius dash cam

Last edited by bimmernate; 05-16-2015 at 08:08 PM.
bimmernate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 09:07 PM   #4
325ragtop

My Ride: needs more HP
Since OP used Lemfoerder, we'll need OP to chime in... I went with poly.
325ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 10:14 PM   #5
crackerlee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmernate View Post
great DIY! how did you "preload" the bushing when you tightened up the bracket? what was your reference point? different people do it different ways, i've seen some people use 8mm above wheel bearing center line but am just curious. Thanks

Not sure I understand what you're asking. Can you clarify? Thanks.
Old 05-16-2015, 10:32 PM   #6
bimmernate

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerlee View Post
Not sure I understand what you're asking. Can you clarify? Thanks.
when you tighten the bracket on the bushing, it needs to be done with the bracket at a specific angle so when it's bolted back up to the car the bushing has no torsion on it otherwise the bushing will fail pre-maturely. I'm probably not explaining it very well. See this thread.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=927014

2003 330i ZHP 6MT
Performance: Koni Sport Struts/Shocks, Eibach Pro-Kit, 17x9 Apex ARC-8, TMS F&R Sway bars, M3 RTABs w/ Vorshlag Limiters, M3 Strut Brace

Aesthetics/Functionality: TFX Projector retrofit by lightwerkz, 20% Tint, OEM Aux Input, Clear corners, LED taillights, M3 Steering wheel, Black kidney grills, mobius dash cam
Old 05-16-2015, 10:53 PM   #7
Megalocnus

My Ride: 05 330i ZHP/MT
The "preload" on the bushing is done by positioning the bracket at a specific angle to the arm. If the angle is wrong, the bracket will twist when bolted to the body, thus exerting pressure on the bushing.
Take a look at the Bentley service manual.
Megalocnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 11:02 PM   #8
Megalocnus

My home-made preload tool:

Looks ghetto, but is made to position the bracket precisely as specified in the manual.
Old 05-17-2015, 12:22 AM   #9
DEADF15H

My Ride: DD is a 2001 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalocnus View Post
My home-made preload tool:

Looks ghetto, but is made to position the bracket precisely as specified in the manual.
I can't get the photo to show on my phone. It might be my phone, if anyone else is having this please chime in, otherwise I'll wait for when I'm on my computer.
DEADF15H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 12:51 AM   #10
bimmernate

i can see the photo. Can you describe exactly how the manual describes the positioning to be at? how thick is the green part on the end?

2003 330i ZHP 6MT

Old 05-17-2015, 02:06 AM   #11
Megalocnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmernate View Post
i can see the photo. Can you describe exactly how the manual describes the positioning to be at? how thick is the green part on the end?
I'll try, but please take a look at the scheme on page 330-9.

The bottom (flat) surface of the bracket is oriented parallel to a plane 8 mm below, which passes through the center of the wheel.
Old 05-17-2015, 02:29 AM   #12
BaliDawg
Modded ///Member

My Ride: 325Ci 330Ci 530i 750
OP probably didn't know about the preload requirement. Glad folks chimed in mentioning that as this DIY thread, though very good, would be incomplete without it.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:11 AM   #13
crackerlee

I should read my manual more often
I tightened the bracket to the bushing with the wood wedged (pic in step 8) between the arm and the bracket. This resulted in almost no tension when I mounted the bracket back onto the frame. The result of aligning it 8mm below hub bore is to have no tension on the bushing when reinstalled right? Thanks guys.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-17-2015, 08:28 AM   #14
BaliDawg
Modded ///Member

My Ride: 325Ci 330Ci 530i 750
Quote:
The result of aligning it 8mm below hub bore is to have no tension on the bushing when reinstalled right?
Correct. The idea here, as with some other BMW bushings, is to have no tension on the bushing when the suspension is normally loaded - the car is sitting with wheels on the ground at normal ride height. This helps the bushing last longer since the majority of its time it is under no strain.

It will work if you don't preload the bushing during installation, but the bushing will prematurely fail.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:54 AM   #15
hitbyastick

My Ride: 2002 325i
Regarding the bushing. OP's replacement bushing has a flange on one side. The original bushing did not have this flange. I have bought replacement Lem RTABs and they do not have this flange on one side. They look more like the original bushing. Somebody explain.
Old 05-17-2015, 09:10 AM   #16
cvx5832

My Ride: 325Ci, 325Cic, C300
Quote:
8. re-installing the bracket and finishing the job.
Update: Be sure to position the bracket when reinstalling the bracket to the bushing (single 18mm bolt) (search for RTAB preload) so the bushings don't twist when attaching the (three 18mm bolts) bracket to the car (the bracket should be about flat against the car body). If it is not, you might be putting tension on the bushing which will greatly reduce the service life.
Great write-up. However the above should be flat against the body under load. Which means while you're installing it, as the pictures shared above show, it won't be flush against the body. The bushing only returns to "neutral" after the car is back on the ground. This is why lowered cars rip through RTABs if they've original.

Of course with poly, none of this applies. That's just a footnote. I'm a Lemfoerder kinda dude.

Last edited by cvx5832; 05-17-2015 at 09:17 AM.
cvx5832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 07:53 PM   #17
scottjoh

My Ride: '99 323i & '02 540i
Quote:
I should read my manual more often
I tightened the bracket to the bushing with the wood wedged (pic in step 8) between the arm and the bracket. This resulted in almost no tension when I mounted the bracket back onto the frame. The result of aligning it 8mm below hub bore is to have no tension on the bushing when reinstalled right? Thanks guys.
Those new RTABs will be toast in very little time without the proper preload. Should have just gone with polys which allow the bolt and sleeve to rotate freely in the bushing making preloading completely unnecessary. I believe, but, am not 100% sure, that a lowered suspension will require a slightly different preload setting even though the Bentley makes no mention of any difference for sport, non-sport and M3. For this reason I just said the hell with it and went with polyurethane bushings when I installed the Bilstein coilovers.

Last edited by scottjoh; 05-17-2015 at 07:58 PM.
scottjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 05:45 PM   #18
crackerlee

I re-did my RTABS with urethane bushings so I didn't have to deal with preloading. Created a new thread.

Admins - you can delete this one

Last edited by crackerlee; 05-22-2015 at 06:37 PM.
Old 05-28-2015, 11:45 PM   #19
bimmernate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalocnus View Post
I'll try, but please take a look at the scheme on page 330-9.

The bottom (flat) surface of the bracket is oriented parallel to a plane 8 mm below, which passes through the center of the wheel.
How thick is that wood wedge?

Usually, i see people just use a straight edge from just below the carrier housing to a point 8mm ABOVE the center of the hub (which is actually shown in the photo that I posted above). But then i have seen posts by mango and a few others which state 8mm below the hub. I'm inclined to go below the hub since i'm lowered. thoughts?

2003 330i ZHP 6MT

Last edited by bimmernate; 05-28-2015 at 11:46 PM.
Old 06-01-2015, 05:36 AM   #20
crackerlee

I actually replaced my RTABs again with poly's. So I didnt have to deal with preloading, and renting an rtab tool if I needed to do this again in the future. I wrote up another thread on that.