E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-16-2010, 09:59 AM   #1
BMW_Stu

My Ride: HPF 330ci
V1 Radar detector w/ remore display Placement ideas

hey, i'm going to be buying myself a V1 in a week or 2. I just want to know where folks are putting their V1's I already know how i am going to install the remote display, but placement options of the actual unit are limited if u dont want to hamper its functionality. Of course i don't want it in plain view on the dash board, a buddy of mine has it stuffed btw a cd case on the pass side visor, i'm thinking of doing something similar, any other ides?
BMW_Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:14 AM   #2
nbarcelo

My Ride: German Engineering
Send a message via AIM to nbarcelo
I have my V1 hardwired in the SLK up top by the rear view mirror. I don't have the little unit installed, waiting to do that once I pick up the M3. I'll post a pic later today. It's not all that concealed, but I wouldn't want it anywhere where it can't pick up accurate readings being blocked by something.

Looking forward to everyone else's ideas aswell.
95' BMW 318iC Boosted (sold)
nbarcelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:16 AM   #3
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Good move on getting a V1, the best RD out there. I have mine for 3 years already and it payed of idk how many times

I keep my unit on the left of my rearview mirror with the suction cups on the tinted part of the window and the unit itself under it. It is also hardwired to the sunroof motor area.

For the concealed display I keep mine in front of the section of the cluster for the door open/bulb out warnings

Here's a vid of mine to show you the power of the V.

And for radar detector users please join this forum

www.radardetector.net

Last edited by Solidjake; 07-16-2010 at 10:19 AM.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 11:40 AM   #4
95dime

My Ride: '99 323i
do a search for LAFENGAS. it was either on here or on a local forum(nyspeed) that he had is setup on. he has the actual radar on a bracket that set it ontop of a rear headrest.

edit: heres a link showing how he mounted it in the pics.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...light=lafengas

'99 323i - daily hotness
'95 s10 - 355 sbc~500hp, 5sp manual, 4:10 gears.
95dime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 11:57 AM   #5
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95dime View Post
do a search for LAFENGAS. it was either on here or on a local forum(nyspeed) that he had is setup on. he has the actual radar on a bracket that set it ontop of a rear headrest.

edit: heres a link showing how he mounted it in the pics.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...light=lafengas
That is sooo stupid.

Congrats on losing your forward laser detection.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:05 PM   #6
ikeupinya
Stay modded my friends!!!

My Ride: shalt not be riced!!
I have a gutted out/modded V1 remote display that is mounted hanging above the instrument panel, between the speedometer & tachometer via double sided tape...it is in my direct line of sight & is the perfect mounted position for the display!!!
Old 07-16-2010, 12:07 PM   #7
95dime

My Ride: '99 323i
^^^solid jake, um, did you read the diy? he states that forward laser detection is reduced but is STILL picked up. and rear detection is increased. besides, whenever you pick up laser its already too late, unless your picking up the signal from when other cars ahead are being hit. the benefits that hes listed far outweigh that IMO as if you do get pulled over, even if its for something such as tint or if your going through a checkpoint, it wont be in the cops sight. if a cop sees a detector it dosent matter what he pulled you over for you have a 99% chance of getting stuck with the ticket. the only better solution of placement is having remote sensors which is not an option for v1.

and no jake, you are not god so why dont you have an open mind and not just resort to something different as being "stupid"

'99 323i - daily hotness
'95 s10 - 355 sbc~500hp, 5sp manual, 4:10 gears.
95dime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 12:10 PM   #8
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

And you fail to know that there are also laser jammers in this world.

And what happens when his V1 needs to be repaired and sent to v1? He would have to undo his entire mold and not to mention put back the v1 to FACTORY specs. Clearly with that connector on the side there's no way to do that.
Old 07-17-2010, 03:19 AM   #9
BMW_Stu

That custom install is AWESOME! i dont think i'd go that far. I also installed my concealed display in the ash tray, im gonna have to move it cuz i can only see it when im in 2nd or 4th gear, i think i'll just put it up in front of the gauge cluster.

i like the custom install but i wouldnt want it sitting that far back. i'll probibly secure it in the middle btw the 2 visors, i need longer cords tho. thx folks
Old 07-17-2010, 11:23 AM   #10
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

Put it either to the left or right or the rearview like I stated.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:44 AM   #11
m3on20z
Sh!t Happens.

My Ride: W203 dumped on 20's
Send a message via AIM to m3on20z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
And you fail to know that there are also laser jammers in this world.

And what happens when his V1 needs to be repaired and sent to v1? He would have to undo his entire mold and not to mention put back the v1 to FACTORY specs. Clearly with that connector on the side there's no way to do that.
Well, Lafengas is one of our smartest members, and I'm sure he took precautions before he started modifying his unit. Also, if you do have to send your unit in, you're gonna have to pay the service charge regardless, so who cares?
Old 07-17-2010, 12:02 PM   #12
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
You know where i stand

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 12:19 PM   #13
kalee

My Ride: E90 335xi
damnnn thats sexy!!
kalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 03:03 AM   #14
BMW_Stu

yeah, thats how i put mine in, i dont like it there tho. the shifter totally blocks it. i need to re arrange the whole setup
Old 07-18-2010, 08:29 AM   #15
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Stu View Post
yeah, thats how i put mine in, i dont like it there tho. the shifter totally blocks it. i need to re arrange the whole setup
get a SSK and a shorter knob and it fixes "most" of that.

I've also seen people put them in the dash right next to the LED display that has your MPG etc
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:05 PM   #16
BMW_Stu

i have a ssk, its shorter than yours, i put it in front of the dash, i'm not taking the cluster apart like some of those hardcore guys do, not now at least

mine is pretty mich like this right now :/

Last edited by BMW_Stu; 07-20-2010 at 11:18 PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:44 PM   #17
chris98891

My Ride: '01 325i
Send a message via AIM to chris98891
honestly where jake has his is probably the best setup. with our cars, theres no non-obvious place to put the concealed display. mines to the top left of the RVM as well, and i just rely on my peripheral vision. works great, haven't missed an alert yet. i'm also pretty tall though so that may not be the case for everybody.

also, the concealed displays are a lot thicker than they need to be, and with a dremel and some epoxy you can make it about a 5th of its original size

and i'm pretty sure if you crack open the V1 like lafengas did, you void the warranty. you don't want to do that with a new V1. under warranty, i sent mine in for a tune-up, and they paid for everything including overnight shipping both ways.

chris98891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 08:05 AM   #18
NorthJersey 3er

My Ride: '03 M3 / '72 2002tii
No remote here...I have mine mounted top left of my rear view just under the tinted strip. Out of plain sight and easy to reach to mute.

co-founder of
euro techniks

NorthJersey 3er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 08:49 AM   #19
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris98891 View Post
also, the concealed displays are a lot thicker than they need to be, and with a dremel and some epoxy you can make it about a 5th of its original size
The other day I took the CD apart, it's horribly over sized I'm going to try to make a case for it to reduce the space. If I do it will be at least half of the thickness.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:49 PM   #20
corstad

My Ride: 2000 328i
I have mine to the left of the RVM. I used the visor mount but slid it between the window and the ceiling fabric. I have never had much luck with the suctions cups, especially when it is 30 below zero in MN.

My concealed display is on the dash in front of the blank spot where the auto transmission gear indicator would be on an automatic. Similar to this picture though I routed my wires through the back of the cluster.

This way I can look down at my speed and see which way the arrows are pointing with one glance.

I tried it temporarily in the ash tray and hated it.

The V1 has saved me at least 20 times in the past 18 months. Well worth the investment.

C.
corstad is offline   Reply With Quote