E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-22-2010, 01:05 AM   #1
willks
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 144
My Ride: 325ci ESS TS2 MSport
BSW Stage 1 install... but, what is up with my car?!

Well, it was a good start to the day - my BSW Stage 1 boxes were sitting there coldly while I sorted out my ESS TS2 start up issues (damn leaky injectors!). So, full of optimism I started to dismantle my 2005 build 325ci M sport. The BSW guys spare no detail in showing us how to install this kit as I had a PDF version, and also had a helpful Youtube step-by-step for those to scared to break their cars like me. Some things puzzled me though - instead of having 4 screws as per instructions - mine had 5 on the drivers door.
Oh well, I proceeded as planned. I removed the drivers door trim (right hand drive car here in Aus) - and saw that I had a different setup to what I'd normally expect to see!

Problem 1:
My car has NO mid driver next to the tweeter.

Problem 2:
My car has the tweeter connected in parallel to the mid-bass driver! The BSW test vehicle seems to have a separate connection for the tweeter/mid-bass driver, where as mine only has one big plug that is meant to drive all speakers.

Problem 3:
My car has no mid ranger driver on the rear passenger panels, but I have and airbag instead! There is also only one 3 pin connector behind the door trim. Oh, I also have a German cockroach in the foam stuffing (picture not supplied - as I disposed of it fast, although it appears prettier and more efficient cockroach to ours). There was a 3-prong connect which matched the supplied BSW read mid driver, but when I connected and test stereo, there was no sound.

Problem 4: (related to #2)
My car has 4 Ohm mid-bass drivers, where as the supplied BSW speakers have 1.6 Ohm (as I recall).

The more I think about it, the more I think I ordered the wrong kit - or I have some kind of weird vehice? I've supplied pictures of all the bits I though were relevant at the time - even the amp (or, what I think is the amp).

Can anyone help me figure out what the issue is?

The video link is the original BSW install link:

()

My car is the Non-HK version, with no satellite navigation but it DOES have the large screen on centre console

Oh one more thing, on the last photo - that is a pic of the plugs available. Unfortunately, the 'light blue' connector is the connection for the drivers door rear mirror joystick.. not the tweeter/mid connection
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4663.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	368098   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4664.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	368099   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4665.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	368100   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4666.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	368101  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4668.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	368102   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4669.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	368103   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4670.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	368104   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4671.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	368105  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4672.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	368106   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4676.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	368107   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4678.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	156.3 KB
ID:	368108  

Last edited by willks; 07-22-2010 at 01:19 AM. Reason: Some more car details
willks is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:29 AM   #2
willks
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 144
My Ride: 325ci ESS TS2 MSport
Ok it appears on contemplating it for a while, that my car only has a 6-speaker system. Far out. The only way to really find out is to rip your car apart before you order. Silly me, I should have done that - but seriously, I've never heard of a 6-speaker e46 coupe (MY2005)! Short of replacing the speaker cabling throughout the car and possibly a new amp - is there anyway I can install all of these speakers? Looks like the european builds (or just maybe the Australian special?) has a different speaker system than what I was expecting?

*confused*

Help!!



Some more pics below of radio/OBC for reference, if anyone knows what is going on
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4679.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	368116   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4680.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	368117   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4681.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	368118   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4682.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	368119  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4683.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	368120  

Last edited by willks; 07-22-2010 at 04:39 AM.
willks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:23 AM   #3
Darkoz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: South Australia
Posts: 3,304
My Ride: E46 325Ci
Unless your car had the optional HK sound system when ordered new then it's standard for your coupe to have a 6 speaker system.
Everything looks as it should be in your photos also, the front door panels are supposed to have 5 screws holding it in place not 4 so that is correct on your car as well.
Are you sure you received the right kit from BSW, maybe you got the HK or sedan version?
By the way, that silver box below the CD Changer is not an Amp.
__________________

Last edited by Darkoz; 07-22-2010 at 05:35 AM.
Darkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:43 AM   #4
willks
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 144
My Ride: 325ci ESS TS2 MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkoz View Post
Unless your car had the optional HK sound system when ordered new then it's standard for your coupe to have a 6 speaker system.
Everything looks as it should be in your photos also, the front door panels are supposed to have 5 screws holding it in place not 4 so that is correct on your car as well.
Are you sure you received the right kit from BSW, maybe you got the HK or sedan version?
By the way, that silver box below the CD Changer is not an Amp.
Hmm maybe the kit is wrong? Interesting you should say about the 'silver' thing - what is it? There is another box behind it that seems to have a quite a thick wiring loom going into it. I felt around it. I'll remove it all tomorrow and try and piece together what it is. I do know I have the bluetooth handset module as I managed to get iPhone to display contacts on tv screen.

Yeah definitely not the HK in here
willks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:58 AM   #5
Darkoz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: South Australia
Posts: 3,304
My Ride: E46 325Ci
Not sure what it is, I wouldv'e first said it's for the navigation unit but you said you don't have navigation so maybe it's something to do with your bluetooth.
Here's a pic of the OEM amplifier in the boot so that silver box shown in your pic is definitely not the Amp, the Australian and Euro cars did not come standard with an Amp. while the US models get the Amp. as standard.

So how many speakers came with your BSW kit?
I'm still not quite sure as to why you can't install the BSW speakers?


Here's a pic of how the OEM amplifier looks......
__________________
Darkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:13 AM   #6
willks
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 144
My Ride: 325ci ESS TS2 MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkoz View Post
Not sure what it is, I wouldv'e first said it's for the navigation unit but you said you don't have navigation so maybe it's something to do with your bluetooth.
Here's a pic of the OEM amplifier in the boot so that silver box shown in your pic is definitely not the Amp, the Australian and Euro cars did not come standard with an Amp. while the US models get the Amp. as standard.

So how many speakers came with your BSW kit?
I'm still not quite sure as to why you can't install the BSW speakers?


Here's a pic of how the OEM amplifier looks......
Yes that looks like an amp! I have a similar cable bundle but I must be wrong seeing as the amp is non-standard. BSW supplied (as advertised) 10 speakers in total (10 individual drivers).
Ok reasons I can't install are that the tweeter/mid-range bass-mid hooked up in parallel would give an overall impedance lower than 1.6 Ohms. The original factory speaker mid-bass is 4 Ohms, and the tweeter is 8Ohms, and they are hooked in parallel (so, approx 2.67 Ohm) . I'm afraid of driving the output of the HU too hard and blowing something else. Also, I have to do a little 'soldering' but I'm not afraid of this, I' m just worried of blowing the output entirely... hmmmm.. maybe then I'd have a reason for a total overhaul!
The BSW system is made for the 'amp' models which have individual connections going to the door mid-bass and tweeter/mids (2 connectors) whereas my car only has one connector, which is fed in parallel to the tweeter. As all the speakers are rated lower impedance than what the stock speakers are, I'll be drawing extra current from the 'amp'. Best case is a blown fuse I guess!

Last edited by willks; 07-22-2010 at 07:16 AM.
willks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:31 AM   #7
Darkoz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: South Australia
Posts: 3,304
My Ride: E46 325Ci
It could be one of two things, either you received the wrong speaker package or as you mentioned maybe they are not made to go with our cars that don't have the factory amp.
Although from you saying that you received 10 speakers I have a feeling that you received the HK speaker set instead of the standard one.
Here's a link to what the standard Stage 1 BSW Speaker set consists of and it shows only 8 speakers (the extra 2 being for the two rear passenger panels)......http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/pr...-Series-Coupe/
__________________
Darkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:38 AM   #8
Darkoz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: South Australia
Posts: 3,304
My Ride: E46 325Ci
Just had another look at BSW and I reckon you got the speaker set for a sedan instead of a coupe.
The sedan set has 10 speakers while the coupe (in the link I posted in my post above) has 8 speakers.

Here's the link for the sedan speaker set....
http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/pr...-Series-Sedan/
__________________
Darkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:38 AM   #9
willks
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 144
My Ride: 325ci ESS TS2 MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkoz View Post
It could be one of two things, either you received the wrong speaker package or as you mentioned maybe they are not made to go with our cars that don't have the factory amp.
Although from you saying that you received 10 speakers I have a feeling that you received the HK speaker set instead of the standard one.
Here's a link to what the standard Stage 1 BSW Speaker set consists of and it shows only 8 speakers (the extra 2 being for the two rear passenger panels)......http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/pr...-Series-Coupe/
Ahh sorry I think I am being misleading - there are 8 speakers, but 2 tweeters. I'm beginning to think that maybe they are not made for non-US cars. Damn. That is the same kit I ordered (rummaging through order emails). I know so much about this car under the bonnet now, but I made this purchase when my knowledge infantile. Still learning!

Guess Australian buyers (read: me) should be more careful

willks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:45 AM   #10
Darkoz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: South Australia
Posts: 3,304
My Ride: E46 325Ci
I'm sure that BSW would take the speakers back and refund your money considering the situation, although you'd think that they would've known if their speaker set was not compatible with non US models.
I'd send them a message or call them and see what they can or will do for you because shipped over here they would have cost you close to a grand wouldn't they?
__________________
Darkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:02 AM   #11
willks
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 144
My Ride: 325ci ESS TS2 MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkoz View Post
I'm sure that BSW would take the speakers back and refund your money considering the situation, although you'd think that they would've known if their speaker set was not compatible with non US models.
I'd send them a message or call them and see what they can or will do for you because shipped over here they would have cost you close to a grand wouldn't they?
They were very good with the shipping considering how far it is! Hmm.. I forget the price exactly, but the way I thought about it - it was going to cost more to get the job done here than importing and DIY. You are right, time to concede defeat and ask if they'll accept. Everything is still intact, just boxes opened but speakers never installed. Thanks for the help!
willks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:03 AM   #12
willks
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 144
My Ride: 325ci ESS TS2 MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkoz View Post
Just had another look at BSW and I reckon you got the speaker set for a sedan instead of a coupe.
The sedan set has 10 speakers while the coupe (in the link I posted in my post above) has 8 speakers.

Here's the link for the sedan speaker set....
http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/pr...-Series-Sedan/
Actually, this is interesting! I'll contact Halston now to see if he knows what is happening. I'll post more pics tomorrow of exactly what I have in the boot - it is a downright mystery really! I see a ventilation fan in the first silver box too.

Stumped.

Last edited by willks; 07-22-2010 at 08:10 AM.
willks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:13 AM   #13
Darkoz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: South Australia
Posts: 3,304
My Ride: E46 325Ci
Let us know how you go
__________________
Darkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:19 AM   #14
willks
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 144
My Ride: 325ci ESS TS2 MSport
Will do.... Hmmm the more I look at it.. the more I think I got the right package, but still, I contacted Halston and I'll report back as soon as I clear up what I have/got.. and if it will work for Aus spec cars. I don't want speculate and confuse others Still I'll post pics of the boxes in my boot

thanks again
willks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 04:56 PM   #15
Halston@BSW
Sponsor
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,900
My Ride: E30 X5 TJ
I will reply to your email as well. It appears you have "Euro Standard" or "Base". This lacks some of the features of an HK or "HiFi"(US Standard). This is going off your photos.
__________________
Halston Pitman
rhp@bavsound.com | ext. 104

BSW | Audio Solutions for YOUR BMW
www.bavsound.com | 404-963-8857



iPod Integration | Plug & Play Speakers | Subwoofer Solutions | Satellite Radio | HD Radio | Bluetooth
Halston@BSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:04 PM   #16
willks
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 144
My Ride: 325ci ESS TS2 MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halston@BSW View Post
I will reply to your email as well. It appears you have "Euro Standard" or "Base". This lacks some of the features of an HK or "HiFi"(US Standard). This is going off your photos.
Yes I think you are right. Below are some shots of the stuff in the beneath the boot (trunk).

First 2 pictures are a BM53
Second 2 - I don't know what that is.. maybe tv or something? All I know is that it gets warm and the fan starts to spin once in a while.

Short of getting my own 'hifi' wiring loom and installing a standard amp - I don't know what else I can do. Also, I don't know what happens behind the head unit with regards to feeding the signal back to amp, back to speakers. Sounds like a pretty good thing to do when the car is being assembled right? Or can it be done post manufacture?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4691.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	368257   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4692.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	368258   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4693.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	368259   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4695.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	368260  

willks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:28 PM   #17
Darkoz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: South Australia
Posts: 3,304
My Ride: E46 325Ci
Any update on what's happening with your speakers?
__________________
Darkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 11:13 PM   #18
willks
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 144
My Ride: 325ci ESS TS2 MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkoz View Post
Any update on what's happening with your speakers?
Well, Halston has said they are willing to refund (very good support huh!)... before I do, I'm investigating if I can install the wiring loom + necessary HU adapters to amp... I'm still researching this, but the speakers Halston sent are correct for the coupe in the US. Turns out the US gets all the goodies European spec cars (which is what we have) get a dud radio - WORSE than the standard hifi available in the US... plus, the US pays less for the car new hahaha. Oh well, the benefit of a large market

In the end, unless we have the HK system, or Upgraded HIFI system in our cars, we can't install this plug'n'play. I'm going to do a lot of heavy reading tonight on the HIFI wiring loom ($700 US!!!), plus, standard amp and hooking this all up to the HU. I'm thinking that the BM53 connects to the standard amp, then the HIFI wiring loom connects to the speakers? But I am be wrong here (speculation)

Last edited by willks; 07-24-2010 at 02:34 AM.
willks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 03:25 AM   #19
Darkoz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: South Australia
Posts: 3,304
My Ride: E46 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by willks View Post
Well, Halston has said they are willing to refund (very good support huh!)... before I do, I'm investigating if I can install the wiring loom + necessary HU adapters to amp... I'm still researching this, but the speakers Halston sent are correct for the coupe in the US. Turns out the US gets all the goodies European spec cars (which is what we have) get a dud radio - WORSE than the standard hifi available in the US... plus, the US pays less for the car new hahaha. Oh well, the benefit of a large market

In the end, unless we have the HK system, or Upgraded HIFI system in our cars, we can't install this plug'n'play. I'm going to do a lot of heavy reading tonight on the HIFI wiring loom ($700 US!!!), plus, standard amp and hooking this all up to the HU. I'm thinking that the BM53 connects to the standard amp, then the HIFI wiring loom connects to the speakers? But I am be wrong here (speculation)
Yep, after doing some searching on the internet the BSW speakers are really only for HK or Hi-Fi upgraded units not our standard units here in Australia.
I wouldn't bother wasting your time and money trying to retrofit the OEM Hi-Fi to your car, you're better off getting your money refunded and then spending the money on better aftermarket speakers and amplifier, in the end you'll have a much better sounding system than the OEM system (including the HK).
__________________

Last edited by Darkoz; 07-24-2010 at 03:28 AM.
Darkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 03:41 AM   #20
willks
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 144
My Ride: 325ci ESS TS2 MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkoz View Post
Yep, after doing some searching on the internet the BSW speakers are really only for HK or Hi-Fi upgraded units not our standard units here in Australia.
I wouldn't bother wasting your time and money trying to retrofit the OEM Hi-Fi to your car, you're better off getting your money refunded and then spending the money on better aftermarket speakers and amplifier, in the end you'll have a much better sounding system than the OEM system (including the HK).
Yes that is true. I'm going to ship back the Stage 1. But, I'm going to keep the subwoofer as I figured out a way to hook it up real easy. Turns out, the BM53 has a LINE OUT (LEFT, RIGHT). I could use the supplied LOC, but if I can get a straight signal bypassing the powered output of the BM53, this is best. Just need to check that the LINE OUT has volume control. I found a pin out of the BM53 connectors online on another forum (forget which one!). Attached.

I will figure out my own front/rear/tweeter combos and see how it goes. If it is bad, I'll add an amp and reuse the existing connections from the BM53. I still need to investigate a little more, but, I'm keeping the BSW subby as it looks very OEM and fits in nicely with car.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New Gen 40 Pin Radio pinout.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	368453  
willks is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bsw, coupe, e46, issue, stage 1

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use