E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-22-2010, 01:59 AM   #1
skipole

My Ride: '02 330ci
Xenon Not Working... But No Dash Warning Light?

Tried to search for this issue but found absolutely nothing.

Here's the issue: My driver side headlight is not working. Although it's hard to see with my angel eyes being so bright, I think the malfunctioning headlight actually emits a very faint "yellow" light (almost like a daytime running light, but much less bright). The passenger side light is working normally.

The weird thing is that there's no "bulb out" warning light on my dash. I've had intermittent problems with the other HID (passenger side) in the past, but I always knew when it wasn't working as the gauge cluster warning light would be very obvious.

Not sure if this is related, but I had to replace my battery yesterday. I used an aftermarket replacement, but it has the same cold crank amps rating as the OEM battery (765). Also, I drove for about 20km's yesterday after installing the new battery and there was no problem with the headlights.

Any ideas on what the problem might be or how to go about troubleshooting would be much appreciated.

Last edited by skipole; 07-22-2010 at 02:00 AM.
skipole is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:55 AM   #2
Syfon

My Ride: 2001 325Ci
Maybe the globe or element is literally being starved of electricity and is therefore not fucntioning properly and hence no "bulb-out" message on the dash?

Try checking the wires to the headlights/xenons/globes whatever.

Just a suggestion....
Syfon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 04:32 AM   #3
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
the bulb out only comes on when the bulb is emitting no light. you said it's very dim, hence there's still some light.

Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:53 AM   #4
skipole

Thanks for the responses guys. I recently went to the garage and turned the headlights on again. This time, the headlight flickered a few times (halogen color flickers, not blueish white)... then went out completely. Within 30 seconds, the dash "bulb out" light came on.

I've done some reading, and I'm still not clear on what the problem is. It sounds like it's probably just the bulb, but could certainly be an issue with the ballast or igniter. Hopefully not.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:07 AM   #5
afstud

My Ride: 02 & 04 325xi sports
well it make sense to try the bulb first since thats the cheapest part.. you can get a new set for about a hundred bucks from this place..http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...2f7382132c4397 these guys are very reliable and your better off just buying 2 new ones at the same time so the color is the same and they will be brighter trust me, if that doesnt solve the problem then it is your balast/igniter unit thats mounted under the headlight.. you can usually pick up one of those from a salvage yard for fairly cheap, those you dont have to replace in pairs since they stay the same throughout there entire life. what i would also do before you go about buying bulbs is swap them from one side to another to see if the problem follows the componant your swapping..but i would recommend a new set of bulbs since they have been flickering like that and usually a quick start up and shut down like that reduces there life significanly. good luck!

Last edited by afstud; 07-22-2010 at 07:08 AM.
afstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:06 AM   #6
skipole

Quote:
Originally Posted by afstud View Post
well it make sense to try the bulb first since thats the cheapest part.. you can get a new set for about a hundred bucks from this place..http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...2f7382132c4397 these guys are very reliable and your better off just buying 2 new ones at the same time so the color is the same and they will be brighter trust me, if that doesnt solve the problem then it is your balast/igniter unit thats mounted under the headlight.. you can usually pick up one of those from a salvage yard for fairly cheap, those you dont have to replace in pairs since they stay the same throughout there entire life. what i would also do before you go about buying bulbs is swap them from one side to another to see if the problem follows the componant your swapping..but i would recommend a new set of bulbs since they have been flickering like that and usually a quick start up and shut down like that reduces there life significanly. good luck!
Cool, thanks for the info. I'm going to attempt to swap the two bulbs katertoday or tomorrow. Looks like a fairly simple process but my ghetto-fab angel eye wiring will get in the way.

I'll definitely replace both bulbs if the issue is indeed bulb-related. I've read that a few places now, and having two different coloured headlights would be tragic.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:24 PM   #7
afstud

My Ride: 02 & 04 325xi sports
it is tragic lol i hate it actually, and its amazing how much of a difference in light output new bulbs actually make.. i just put the xenon headlights in my car, bought the headlight set from a salvage yard and i left the bulbs in that came with them and they had to be a few years old and they seemed to have decent light output.. but once i put my new set of osram bulbs in the light output was about 5x what i started with, its amazing how much light they lose even after 2 years of normal use. balasts on the other hand dont change at all even if a balast is 10 years old it performs the same as a 2 month old balast.
afstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 02:52 PM   #8
sillieidiot

Actually it doesn't. The output drops from 35w very gradually. Its just hard to notice the difference unless you have 6000k bulbs as it makes those brand new bulbs looks slightly yellower. But the kicker is that in pictures it still shows up as 6000k lol

Old 07-22-2010, 02:58 PM   #9
g4LLiT0

My Ride: 99 Bmw
i have kind of the same problem, my xenon light on the driver side dont work, and the high beam on the passenger side, checked the wires...the wire connected the the driver side xenon doesnt get enough electricity and the same for the passenger side high beam......dnt know what the hell is wrong
Old 07-22-2010, 03:00 PM   #10
sillieidiot

did you check the power with a volt meter?

Old 07-22-2010, 03:05 PM   #11
g4LLiT0

yes...the one that does light up get sufficient current, but the side that does not light up does not get sufficient both high, and lo beams
Old 07-22-2010, 03:12 PM   #12
sillieidiot

hmm the lcm usually controls the power going to the lights. i had a problem where the ground wire to the low beam was messed up somehow so i replaced it and that did it. for some reason that wire affect both my driver's lowbeams and fogs.

Old 07-22-2010, 03:25 PM   #13
g4LLiT0

its even affecting the lights inside the car, they flicker and go out completely when i hit the brakes
Old 07-22-2010, 03:35 PM   #14
sillieidiot

you sure it's not your battery?

Old 07-22-2010, 03:47 PM   #15
g4LLiT0

Nope, new battery...
Old 07-22-2010, 03:48 PM   #16
sillieidiot

well i guess try checking the ground wire or something. it look me forever to figure out that it was a ground on the driver's side lol