E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-19-2010, 08:46 PM   #1
joneperry

My Ride: e46 + S60 + Z
Do I have a broken spring? Please read :)

First off, let me start off by saying that I know how our e46s have spring failures typical on the rear springs...

Long story short, i was on a trip with my dad, started driving off, after about 10 miles from leaving house i heard a glass breaking sound like i dropped a jar or something, i look behind on the road bc i thought my dad ran over a bottle, but tehre was nothing so we kept driving... only after inspecting my car 3 weeks later for my maintenance overhaul, i see my right rear side of car is lower than the rest, so i have no wheel gap on that tire awesome!!

when i went to remove that tire for my brake bleed, i jacked up the car and my spring doesnt look broken at all, its in one piece?

My question is:

could the spring be broken on the inside of the coil where i cant see it?
is it shock or spring that broken?
or is it possible that the spring became dislodge off where it sat but when i jacked it up , the spring went to the normal position?

Thanks
joneperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:12 PM   #2
joneperry

bump ttt ideas?
Old 07-19-2010, 09:14 PM   #3
thefrog1394

My Ride: e46- 1999 323i
Right rear is lower by design. Actually entire right side of the car is, but its especially lower in the right rear. One reason often given is that this is to compensate for the weight of the driver in the driver's seat. Who knows how much truth to that there is.

Photo in Cleveland, Ohio
1999 323i - 210,000 miles and counting.
Rear Wheel Bearing Tool (SitTools B90) Rental, ~$60
thefrog1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:15 PM   #4
blacksport325

My Ride: 98 M3, 318is, CBR600
bumping the thread after 30 minutes? It sounds like a possible broken spring or blown shock, i'd take off the wheel and check the spring area, it should be easily visible if the spring is cracked or broken.
blacksport325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:17 PM   #5
joneperry

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport325 View Post
bumping the thread after 30 minutes? \
my bad i told a forum member i would buy his springs, but now im comfused if i even need springs

EDIT ^^^^^ the wheel is off i look at the spring, its in one piece, its upright and prettty much "normal" looking

Last edited by joneperry; 07-19-2010 at 09:21 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:18 PM   #6
joneperry

ill put up a picture tomorrow i still have the tire off, its just too dark now but would broken shocks cause squeaking? i have a lotta of squeaking coming from the rear just dont know if its suspension related? i always thought it was a the vert roof rattling
Old 07-19-2010, 10:09 PM   #7
2003 325i

My Ride: '03 Orient Blue 325i
Go to the trunk and jounce the RR corner, if it takes longer than pushdown, rebound up, settle (meaning some oscilation) then the strut is blown, if you hear noises inspect spring, upper strut mount, trailing arm bushing. These are the most likely culprits. If it's none of these, take a bunch of pictures and post em on here so we can see them of every area of that rear corner. If still unable to diagnose, then take her to a garage.
2003 325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:46 PM   #8
blacksport325

My Ride: 98 M3, 318is, CBR600
Yeah I would say take a picture when its light out, it sounds like either a rear shock mount completely blown, or broken spring.
blacksport325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:42 AM   #9
NorthJersey 3er

My Ride: '03 M3 / '72 2002tii
so you didnt notice the right rear side drooping until you actually went in there to work on it?

co-founder of
euro techniks

NorthJersey 3er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:46 AM   #10
marineifra

My Ride: 1995 ///M3
are e46's prone to shock tower's blowin through like in the e36?

CNT C M3
Would you like something sandblasted, just shoot me a PM. Lets see if we can work something out
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbarcelo View Post
Kiel was in the Marines and now he drives an M3 so he can talk however he wants to... jeesuh!
marineifra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:56 AM   #11
officer140

My Ride: 01 330xi, 99 TLR
If there's fluid coming out from the shock, that's a sure sign of failure. Double check then triple check your spring. BMW told me I needed to replace my rear springs when I went in for some warranty work years ago. I ordered them through my connection in BMW at the time but didn't have them do it (they wanted to charge me ). One day, I put my car up on the lift and did my front axles. I remembered that the springs needed replacing. I looked and it seemed fine. I looked at both sides to compare and didn't see anything wrong . Finally, I said fcuk it and swapped them out. Turned out that one spring broke on the bottom and somehow made a perfect cut that made it seem like it was done on purpose. The only thing that gave it away was that it was rusty on the tip.
officer140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:46 AM   #12
kylek325i

My Ride: 2003 325xi sport
its easy to miss a broken spring; the last coil tends to shear off and then it could be anywhere...look at the spring pads- all around-and see if there is a rusty/ broken tip at the last coil. squeaking from the rear could be anything
kylek325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:31 AM   #13
busta78

My Ride: 2000 323i
Its probably the spring, mine broke and the only reason I knew they were broken was because I was replacing them. Took off the wheel a dozen time and everything looked fine. The broken piece was lodge in the LCA out of sight..
busta78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 12:15 PM   #14
jose325i

My Ride: 08 BMW 135i
mine is also really low on that corner. I have no wheel gap on that side, but on the passenger side I have a gap
Old 07-20-2010, 09:52 PM   #15
joneperry

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJersey 3er View Post
so you didnt notice the right rear side drooping until you actually went in there to work on it?
well just before when i was inspecting it you know just walking around it and i just noticed no wheel gap and i was like YES the sport package has no wheel gap!! but then i looked at the other wheels and i was like crap... all the three other wheels had gap
Old 07-20-2010, 10:08 PM   #16
joneperry

no fluid leaking from the shock^
Old 07-22-2010, 08:49 AM   #17
NorthJersey 3er

My Ride: '03 M3 / '72 2002tii
did you check for any subframe damage?

co-founder of
euro techniks

NorthJersey 3er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:03 PM   #18
joneperry

ohh nah i dont have any subframe damage, i got that checked at tischer like idk october 2009 ishh? and drove the car only <1000 since then no way could there have been subframe damage, its possible but i mean unlikely with the way i drive, sweeping clear of potholes, havent even reach 100mph once, and slowing down before significant bumps in the road in addition i am the only person in the car, on occasions one passenger in the seat next to me, rarely anyone sits in the backseat but heres what happened today.....

i put the car back on wheels and it sits a tiny bit higher than before but whenever i pull down the parking break that side goes down significantly... wat the fcuk did i do! when i pull up the brake the side comes back up (that side and that side onlyyyy-right rear)

-possibility.... the wheel was fused on the hub due to the rust of sitting throuhg hte blizzard we had this year in the dc area... so i mean i had to unscrew all the lugs while it was in teh air and lower it and the wheel popped off then i raised the car back up again with the floorjack so i could put teh jack stand underneath again while it was without the rear right wheel

...did the same for the left rear wheel.... the front wheels they are not locked since its rwd obviously so i have no idea how to get these wheels off, they are fused when i say fused i mean its like trying to stretch a piece of steel in opposite directions, idk if i should lower the wheel without teh lugs so that the force will pop the wheel off ? any insight
Old 07-22-2010, 10:27 PM   #19
RogueStatus37

My Ride: '04 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by joneperry View Post
ohh nah i dont have any subframe damage, i got that checked at tischer like idk october 2009 ishh? and drove the car only <1000 since then no way could there have been subframe damage, its possible but i mean unlikely with the way i drive, sweeping clear of potholes, havent even reach 100mph once, and slowing down before significant bumps in the road in addition i am the only person in the car, on occasions one passenger in the seat next to me, rarely anyone sits in the backseat but heres what happened today.....

i put the car back on wheels and it sits a tiny bit higher than before but whenever i pull down the parking break that side goes down significantly... wat the fcuk did i do! when i pull up the brake the side comes back up (that side and that side onlyyyy-right rear)

-possibility.... the wheel was fused on the hub due to the rust of sitting throuhg hte blizzard we had this year in the dc area... so i mean i had to unscrew all the lugs while it was in teh air and lower it and the wheel popped off then i raised the car back up again with the floorjack so i could put teh jack stand underneath again while it was without the rear right wheel

...did the same for the left rear wheel.... the front wheels they are not locked since its rwd obviously so i have no idea how to get these wheels off, they are fused when i say fused i mean its like trying to stretch a piece of steel in opposite directions, idk if i should lower the wheel without teh lugs so that the force will pop the wheel off ? any insight
I highly suggest not dropping the car lower on the wheel. There is a lip on the hub of our wheels and you could damage your wheel or hub.

This is completely normal for people with aluminum wheels on a steel hub. Over time the rusting and oxidizing of the 2 fuses the wheel and hub together (I cannot think of the word when this happens and its driving me ****ing insane). What you do is put the car on jack stands (Very important because jacks can move or roll, and the stock jack is very unsturdy as it is, even before you start beating on the wheel) , and get a big deadblow hammer. Slide underneath the car so your looking at the back of the wheel and put a 2x4 across the bottom of the back of the wheel. Get the deadblow and give it a few good whacks. Should come off relatively easy. To avoid this ever happening again, when you get the wheel off, go to your local autozone and buy a can of copper antisieze (its very mess and gets on everything you touch so wash your hands before you go inside your car). When the wheel is off brush some on so it is covering the whole lip of the hub that the wheel catches on and you should be good to go next time you take your wheel off. BTW you can kick the wheel all you want, but it usually doesnt work. You need to get in there with a deadblow or a rubber mallet and give it a few good shots.

2004 330Ci ZSP 6-Speed

Blackout grills l Smoked Reflectors l CCFL Angel Eyes l Gloss Black Roof Vinyl l BSW Speaker Upgrade l 3.46 Open Diff l BMW Performance SSKl M3 Style Trunk Spoiler
H&R Sport Cup Spring Kit l RHO Tow Hook Plate l Nokya Hyper-yellow Fogs l Stainless Steel Headers l Tuner Slotted Brake Kit l AXXIS/PBR Metal Master Pads l BMW AUX Input Kit

Last edited by RogueStatus37; 07-22-2010 at 10:30 PM.
RogueStatus37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:56 PM   #20
joneperry

anychance the dropping of the wheel to get it off would have affected the parking brake?

Tags
broken, failure, lower, shocks, spring