E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-22-2010, 04:01 PM   #1
g4LLiT0

My Ride: 99 Bmw
Do i need a new radiator?

My car overheated today, and *look at the pic* this looks like to be cracked, do i need a new radiator? or a new coolant tank? or what? car coolant light will come on 10-15 min later after filling it full...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	072220101462.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	368234  

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:22 PM   #2
g4LLiT0

any1?
Old 07-22-2010, 04:48 PM   #3
Drewfus2101

My Ride: N/A
What are we looking at again?
Drewfus2101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:01 PM   #4
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
That little crack/leaking area is the radiator...the thing in front with the ring is the upper cooling hose.

If that's it, that's the radiator, but make sure the source isn't just dripping down there.

Anyway, if radiator, you almost have to do expansion tank too and then you start reading cooling threads, realize how important the cooling system is, and want to do an overhaul...if you've not replaced many things like therm, water pump, belts, maybe pulleys, up/lower rad hose, then this is the time...given that circumstances allow. Otherwise, I'd still say ET and then prolly upper hose just coz it'll be so much easier not having to worry about et/up hose taking things apart after who knows how many years.

Read many cooling threads here until you get confused!

Doug

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:05 PM   #5
usernamehere
Banned

My Ride: lackbof turbos
If you have the extra 140$ to spare, id say get the radiator along with the et. 140$ is nothing compared to being broke down on the side of the road.
usernamehere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:18 PM   #6
badfast

My Ride: A Car
I would say yes! While it may be possible to do a temp. repair with JB Weld, you will eventually have to replace the radiator. It is $140 from Pelican Parts. My radiator actually has the same problems, so I ordered one and it should be here soon. Pelican Parts also has a tech article on their website explaining the process on how to replace your radiator, I recommend looking at that if you have never done a radiator before and are considering doing it yourself. It is not difficult, just time consuming.
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:47 PM   #7
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
Uh oh ryan.......looks like im going to be refunding that dynavin deposit....you need to do a cooling system overhaul, including the radiator.....pronto!

Ive done the overhaul on 3 different cars, its cheap insurance, do everything, then no worries for another 70k miles

LATEST DYNAVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1044105
DYNAVIN FAQ:http://www.jandtdistributing.com/pages/faq-links
///AVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1015704
TO BUY http://jandtdistributing.com

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 07-22-2010 at 09:49 PM.
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:27 PM   #8
g4LLiT0

cars got 200k miles, i guess its breaking due to age jeff haha.

Badfast what does the radiator come with? or is it just the radiator?, i need a new expansion tank too i think and the hose that goes from the tank to the radiator where you bleed it...
Old 07-22-2010, 10:42 PM   #9
badfast

My Ride: A Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by g4LLiT0 View Post
cars got 200k miles, i guess its breaking due to age jeff haha.

Badfast what does the radiator come with? or is it just the radiator?, i need a new expansion tank too i think and the hose that goes from the tank to the radiator where you bleed it...
It is just the radiator.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/cata...WATrad_pg1.htm

They have everything you need for you cooling system (expansion tank, hoses, etc.). I pretty much now use pelican parts whenever I need anything OEM.
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:45 PM   #10
BimmersGarage

My Ride: E46 330i
Send a message via Skype™ to BimmersGarage
@OP
It's your radiator - upper intake nozzle... As DMAX and other members has stated.

You definitely got your money's worth from the original radiator/components if they lasted to 200K+ miles. You should replace everything (cooling system wise, if they are still the original parts that's on the car from the factory) Because they aren't meant to last past ~80K miles.

If you need help I have a ton of DIY videos just follow my links below, they should help get you started.

Good luck.
BimmersGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:35 PM   #11
g4LLiT0

my car is a 316i, some still apply bimmer garage? i saw you in delmarcos post and wanted to contact you, thnks for jumping in, can you tell me everything i need since ima noob at this. i want to do a complete cooling system overhaul, with hoses and everything.