E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-22-2010, 08:58 PM   #1
RyaninSC

My Ride: 2001 325i
severe oil leak...any ideas?

before the haters and website police attack me...I did do a search!

i have a bad oil leak on my wifes 2001 325i.(152,000) i noticed a trail of oil going into the carport. i cannot tell were the leak is coming from exactly. it is dripping from around the rear of engine, front of tranny area, but i cant tell if its coming from the top and leaking down or the bottom. if i start the car the oil flows out as if someone was pouring it out.(steady stream) if i stop the engine is stops and just drips. i just noticed this earlier and its now dark outside so i cant look anymore today.

i know nobody can tell me exactly what it is without looking, but if anyone has any ideas as to what it might be, i would really appreciate the ideas.

we did hear an odd noise while driving before i noticed this. it was almost like an exaust leak. not loud, but it was noticable. and the car had a sputter(i thought maybe spark plugs...need to change them anyways im not sure if these noises have anything to do w/my leak, but i did notice them at the same time)

thanks.
RyaninSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:04 PM   #2
Tangent_

My Ride: '01 330i
You're probably only seeing the leak where you are because of the under tray. The leak could be anywhere... From your description I'd suspect the crankcase vent valve.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:07 PM   #3
sataraid

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
You need to take a real close look at your transmission. Check your oil level. If your oil level is OK most likely its your transmission.
sataraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:42 PM   #4
carcus

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5
Here is a question for you.....did you have your oil changed recently? The filter gasket could have been twisted and leaking from there. Could also be the drain plug, or the oil filter housing engine block gasket....worst case.

Last edited by carcus; 07-22-2010 at 09:44 PM.
carcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:39 PM   #5
RyaninSC

My Ride: 2001 325i
i have removed the under tray a while back ago. i did change the oil a month or so ago, but its been fine before now. I can see the drain plug all is dry there. i did do the ccv a while back ago 6 months or so. i did have an independent mechanic do it, so i guess(hope) it might be the issue. i replaced the ccv and all the hoses w/it. tomarrow i will pull the air housing and see if i can see anything, if i cant i guess i will haul it to a mechanic. i usually do most work myself, no im not a mechanic, but i am a good parts replacer. if i knew what the problem was i would feel better, its the not knowing that bothers me. what would cause the oil to pour out(between the engine/trans.) under pressure?

i keep singing that song by david bowie..under pressure...da da da dada da da

it was posted that it might be trans fluid?? would the trans fluid pour out when i start the engine and stop pouring when i stop the engine? i wouldnt think the trans fluid would be affected by the engine starting, but if i knew everything i wouldnt be asking any questions.

Last edited by RyaninSC; 07-22-2010 at 11:44 PM.
RyaninSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:44 PM   #6
badfast

My Ride: A Car
Since you say it is coming from the front of the transmission it could be your rear main seal.
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:14 AM   #7
BavLar

My Ride: 330Cic 5spd & 330i
Are you certain it's not originating further up towards the oil filter housing area or from the gasket between the OFH and the engine? It's not so easy to see up there. This is a frequent source of leaks and really not a huge PITA to repair. I think the parts are around $300 if you must swap the whole housing unit. Less if it's just the gasket.