E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-22-2010, 09:04 PM   #1
aphhpa

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Send a message via AIM to aphhpa
Resetting SES code for inspection?

I know this is NOT the proper way to do things but my car is up for inspection and I cant get the freaking SES light off. Can i either 1) Disconnect battery and reconnect RIGHT before inspection, or 2) buy the tool for resetting the codes and do that right before inspection? Again i know this is not recommended but I need to get car inspected asap.
aphhpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:12 PM   #2
golf_234

My Ride: 07 C230 MT
disconnecting wont do anything but yes you can reset the code. depending on what is triggering it it may come back within like 15 minutes. what code are you throwing? but yes get the peake reader and you can clear it. i woudlnt recommend going to a shop to get it cleared its just so much better to have your own tool. go to one of the sponsors on this site bimmertools.com etc. and grab a peak reader they are like $139. most useful tool you will ever own for your car and will save you a LOT of time and money.

2008 135i | Year 1 of the 1 | AW/Black Boston Leather | N54 | JB4 | Map 5 | 19" Matte Black CSLs | Comfort Access
Adaptive Xenons | Premium/Sport | Cold Weather | Brembos | Clear Bra | Auto Dim | Rain Sensor | 350 WHP
golf_234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:44 PM   #3
aphhpa

One day it reads one code, the next day it reads 10, literally 10 diff codes, and other times its off for a complete day. So im having a hard time triggering what is wrong.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:46 PM   #4
aphhpa

what exact peak reader am I looking for? I see several
Old 07-22-2010, 09:46 PM   #5
carcus

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5
Buy a cheap code reader/reset off of Ebay for the OBDII. You will be out $30 max if you want to do it just for inspection or minor things. If you were here, I would let you borrow mine for free. Granted, the better units cost more, but sounds like you need a cheap one for this.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:19 PM   #6
aphhpa

I got the one he was talking about, im sure i can use it plenty of times after the inspection, that way I can figure out why the light is even coming on and do my own diagnosing, thank you guys
Old 07-22-2010, 10:26 PM   #7
golf_234

My Ride: 07 C230 MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by aphhpa View Post
I got the one he was talking about, im sure i can use it plenty of times after the inspection, that way I can figure out why the light is even coming on and do my own diagnosing, thank you guys
good call. you will use it forever. what codes are you getting ? or the general vicinity? misfires/ lean codes?

2008 135i | Year 1 of the 1 | AW/Black Boston Leather | N54 | JB4 | Map 5 | 19" Matte Black CSLs | Comfort Access
Adaptive Xenons | Premium/Sport | Cold Weather | Brembos | Clear Bra | Auto Dim | Rain Sensor | 350 WHP
golf_234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:27 PM   #8
carcus

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5
Even with the cheap ones.....there are BMW specific codes you can translate them to. The codes are actually found here on the forum. Granted a more expensive reader is nice, but for simple things like that, you are good to go. I love having a nice small one I can keep in the glove box. It told me my thermostat was bad and worked for me.

Most code readers will just give you a hint on what it might be. Regardless of how much you spend on one, a mechanic needs to once he or she looks at the code, research the possible cause and trial/error fix. For your normal guy, a cheap one is all you need to get a general idea of what is wrong, research the code and get a heads up.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:15 AM   #9
bimmernate

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
I have a peake reader, works well.

Also, note that you can't inspect it immediately after clearing the codes. You'll have to drive it for around 50 miles or so, or else you won't pass inspection..Ask me how i know..I tried doing it with my friends car, and the guy said that it didn't pass because the codes have been cleared too recently and to drive around for 50 miles, then come back.

2003 330i ZHP 6MT
Performance: Koni Sport Struts/Shocks, Eibach Pro-Kit, 17x9 Apex ARC-8, TMS Sway bars, M3 Strut Brace

Aesthetics/Functionality: TSX Projector retrofit, 20% Tint, OEM Aux Input, Clear corners, LED taillights, M3 Steering wheel, Black kidney grills
bimmernate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 05:54 AM   #10
aphhpa

Damn but after 50 miles wont the codes come back on? GRRRR. the codes I have are Misfires in like 4 diff cylinders which doesnt sound right because the car has more power now than i ever recall it having. no loss of power at all. 02 Bank 1 AND 2 Deviation (dont even know what that means) and few other times.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:31 AM   #11
djdonis

My Ride: 330i
Resetting the codes may not do you any good - inspection will indicate "computer not ready". Car has to travel at least 200 miles with no codes stored or pending.

djdonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:43 AM   #12
GoingNuts
Just Nuts

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
You have more power because you are running rich. It's misfiring because you are drowning it with fuel. Your car will not pass emissions regardless of the SES. You are pumping out 50% of the world's green house gas emission.
GoingNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:46 AM   #13
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
+1 on System Readiness issues.

If the inspection process connected to the ODB connector, they will see the System Readiness Codes are not cleared and they will turn you away.

Misfires are usually vacuum leaks/lean conditions or secondary (high Voltage) ignition issues. Either of these are usually easy to fix if you can track down the issue. Intake boot is a very common issue, and check for other vacuum leaks with a cheap can of spray brake cleaner, make sure you cover your fenders and do not get it on your paint!

You may luck out and clear the codes, then drive the car super easy and see if you can get it to not through any codes, then get it inspected. If you get a chance to clear the codes, scan tools will also give you an idea if all of the System Readiness Codes are clear, so then you will know you can take if back for an inspection.
jfoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:06 AM   #14
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: 2000 E46 with 254K
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
+1 on System Readiness issues.

If the inspection process connected to the ODB connector, they will see the System Readiness Codes are not cleared and they will turn you away.

Misfires are usually vacuum leaks/lean conditions or secondary (high Voltage) ignition issues. Either of these are usually easy to fix if you can track down the issue. Intake boot is a very common issue, and check for other vacuum leaks with a cheap can of spray brake cleaner, make sure you cover your fenders and do not get it on your paint!

You may luck out and clear the codes, then drive the car super easy and see if you can get it to not through any codes, then get it inspected. If you get a chance to clear the codes, scan tools will also give you an idea if all of the System Readiness Codes are clear, so then you will know you can take if back for an inspection.

YUP!!!!! Peopl try this crap all the time clear codes then they get mad that it won't pass BOhoo fix the car right and then it passes pretty simple

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech
JB Eurotech Service "Your Reasonable Dealer Alternative"

General Questions can be sent to appointment@jbeurotech.com

1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
2. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
jbeurotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:34 AM   #15
BavLar

My Ride: 330Cic 5spd & 330i
Once you fix the source of the codes and clear the old codes out you can go through a cycle of driving which will mimic the 200 miles. The inspection place should have a copy of the cycle which includes accellerating, decellerating, stop & go, etc all at specifically varying speeds. It is about a 20 step cycle but can be completed within about 10 or 20 minutes.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:38 AM   #16
33beto

My Ride: 08 328i Sedan(R.I.P)
Send a message via AIM to 33beto
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdonis View Post
Resetting the codes may not do you any good - inspection will indicate "computer not ready". Car has to travel at least 200 miles with no codes stored or pending.
^thats true
33beto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:00 AM   #17
aphhpa

You said high voltage right. I just replaced my alternator because I was getting high voltage. My battery was spiking to 16-18 volts while revved. Sitting at 16.2 while idling. I drove it like that for roughly 3 days cause I needed the car. Since the replacement the car drove a lot better and the blinking dashboard lights stopped also the voltage is now correct. However, i drove the car a mere 20 miles since then. Maybe I need more miles for the misfire codes
To
Clear? The car is at a shop now cause as I was driving it home FRoM the shop the pulley belt snapped on me, what luck huh? Also days before the alternator issue began I had my codes read and it was just a single code something to do with fuel with is also probaly clear now because I had a bad fuel pump which completely stopped working. I then had the high voltage issue. Right after they replaced it is when they read the codes for me and it had pulled up the misfires.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:29 AM   #18
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Quote:
I know this is NOT the proper way to do things but my car is up for inspection and I cant get the freaking SES light off. Can i either 1) Disconnect battery and reconnect RIGHT before inspection, or 2) buy the tool for resetting the codes and do that right before inspection? Again i know this is not recommended but I need to get car inspected asap.
You cannot reset the codes and then get an inspection.

The reason is that there are something like 8 or 10 monitors that have to complete monitoring whatever it is that they look at. If you get to the inspection station and have more than 2 monitors that have not completed, then they will not inspect because the car isn't ready. And if the car turns the SES on again, then it also will fail.

You MUST correct the condition(s) that is turning the light on, and then complete the drive cycles needed to close the monitors successfully before you can present the car for inspection.

Somebody said that the car has to go 200 miles, that's not entirely true. It has to complete a given number of Drive Cycles, not a given number of miles. The smog shop is allowed to let the car be inspected with (O think) two of the 8 or 10 monitors not completed.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:44 AM   #19
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Quote:
Damn but after 50 miles wont the codes come back on? GRRRR. the codes I have are Misfires in like 4 diff cylinders which doesnt sound right because the car has more power now than i ever recall it having. no loss of power at all. 02 Bank 1 AND 2 Deviation (dont even know what that means) and few other times.
We need to know the codes you're getting. More correctly, YOU need to know them.

My guess is that you have at least a P0101 - MAF Sensor error. You also have assorted P03nn codes (where nn is replaced by 00 thru 06) to represent Random Misfires (00) or sepcific cylinder misfires (01 thru 06). You likely also have P0173 and P0175, which are Fuel Trim Errors, and P1188 and P1189, which are BMW specific reports that also translate out to mean Fuel Trim.

The bad news is, the MAF will cost you about $450. The good news is, the other codes are "downstream" errors that come about because the MAF is confused.

The Misfires do not mean the plugs or coils are not working. Maybe they are not working, but the report really means that the ECU is looking for work to be performed when a plug fires, and the work is not happening or is weak, and the ECU only knows "misfire." The actual cause of the misfire can be that the MAF reports air temp and density that calls for x-amount of fuel, but the actual need is y-amount of fuel, so the result is a low fuel charge in the cylinder and weak performance when the plug fires. The O2 Sensor see the lean condition and call for more gas on the next cycle, but by then the MAF is telling a different lie and the fuel load is rich. No misfire this time, but the O2 Sensor reports that the Fuel Trim is out of control.

Since you have misfires and Fuel Trim reports, my money is on a failed MAF. The MAF can sometimes be cleaned, but they contain a delicate circuit that has a component that is known to short. The BMW diagnostic port will actually tell you if the circuit inside the MAF is shorted, but the OBD II data port does not have the ability to give that information.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:46 AM   #20
aphhpa

Ok well I just replaced fuel pump, and alternator from high voltage issue. I'm going to replace spark plugs and fuel filter this when I get car back. And then I'll see what it's giving me. Inspection is now past due cause car has been at shop donut makes this hard. I just got back from Iraq less than 2 weeks ago. Had no time to fix anything. Is it possiblethe high voltage from the alternator has sent wrong voltages to all these monitorsgoing off? Before the high voltage issue I had one code. Then all of a sudden 10?