E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-23-2010, 10:49 AM   #1
chirag425

My Ride: 02 M3
CAR came with two keys but remotes don't work.

HI I just bought 02 m3.
car came with two keys.
remotes don't do anything. i can lock/unlock using key in to the door.

do i have to make a trip to stealership and pay money to program it??
can i do it myself?

thank you all.
chirag425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:13 AM   #2
golf_234

My Ride: E90
you can do it yourself search program key .. its some weird sequence. i did it for my neighbor

2008 135i | Year 1 of the 1 | AW/Black Boston Leather | N54 | JB4 | Map 5 | 19" Matte Black CSLs | Comfort Access
Adaptive Xenons | Premium/Sport | Cold Weather | Brembos | Clear Bra | Auto Dim | Rain Sensor | 350 WHP
golf_234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 11:14 AM   #3
golf_234

1. Unlock the car doors using your original key.

2. Get in and close (don't lock) all the doors.

3. Put the key in the ignition and turn it momentarily to position 1 which is the first position when you turn the key clockwise. This is the accessory position. Don't stay in position 1 longer than 5 seconds; then turn the key back to the off position.

4. Remove the key.

5. Now, on the key, press and hold down the unlock button while at the same time press and release the lock button three times within 10 seconds while still pressing the unlock button

6. release the unlock button

7. The system indicates re-initialising by locking and immediately unlocking the door locks.

2008 135i | Year 1 of the 1 | AW/Black Boston Leather | N54 | JB4 | Map 5 | 19" Matte Black CSLs | Comfort Access
Adaptive Xenons | Premium/Sport | Cold Weather | Brembos | Clear Bra | Auto Dim | Rain Sensor | 350 WHP
Old 07-23-2010, 12:57 PM   #4
Andy2108

My Ride: E46 M3, '67 Cobra
the stealership can hook up your key and look at the info on it. if they can do that then i suppose the battery must be good. if so, then do that ^

if not, then new battery diy or new key from dealer

De gustibus non est disputandum.
Andy2108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:12 AM   #5
chirag425

thanks, I'll try this..

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf_234 View Post
1. Unlock the car doors using your original key.

2. Get in and close (don't lock) all the doors.

3. Put the key in the ignition and turn it momentarily to position 1 which is the first position when you turn the key clockwise. This is the accessory position. Don't stay in position 1 longer than 5 seconds; then turn the key back to the off position.

4. Remove the key.

5. Now, on the key, press and hold down the unlock button while at the same time press and release the lock button three times within 10 seconds while still pressing the unlock button

6. release the unlock button

7. The system indicates re-initialising by locking and immediately unlocking the door locks.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:50 AM   #6
golf_234

there was a slight variation i came by on the forums that i used that definitely worked that i believe was slightly different than that one ^^^ where the guy said "i do this at work all the time" and his procedure definitely worked .but i couldn't find it if that doesnt work i would search a bit more trying to find whatever thread i was on.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:55 AM   #7
golf_234

well, i had trouble finding the exact post i was talking about but did find more valuable info in regard to the second key.. also, it looks as though people have confirmed this process on this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by three2slick
Takes 1 minute. Go to your car right now, make sure it's locked. Unlock it, get in, close the door, put the key in the ignition and turn the key to the point all the dash lights come on but DON'T start the car. Then turn the key back and take the key out. Now hold the unlock button and press the lock button 3 times while you hold the unlock button, then after you have pressed it 3 times, let go of the unlock button. The doors will lock and unlock to show it has been initialized, if you have a 2nd key, follow the same procedure but you just do the button sequence, you don't put the key into the ignition.

Last edited by golf_234; 07-26-2010 at 10:22 AM.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:03 AM   #8
mrwech

My Ride: 00 328i
thats a problem with e46s,so even a trip to the stealership wont save you...it has something to do with a gm5 module gone bad.
http://www.bmwgm5.com/
mine works sometimes and i have to manually unlock it sometimes.
mrwech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:59 AM   #9
tntempest

My Ride: 330ci 2001
In my case my remote did not work, then one day while I was taking it apart to fix the battery it started working all of the sudden, somehow all the force made the connection happen. In my case the battery lead had broken. I was able to just put a dab of solder and fix it. It's hard to get the key itself open, but it's worth it if the reprogramming is not working. There is no telling how long it had not worked (it was like that when I got it) and it was my only key. So it must hold it's memory even if the battery dies.

Previous BMW rides, 91 E30 318IS, 89 E30 325is, 96 E36 328is, 98 E36 M3, 99 E39 540 Sport, 00 368 M Coupe, 01 E46 330Ci

Last edited by tntempest; 07-26-2010 at 11:00 AM.
tntempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:19 PM   #10
chirag425

thanks a lot. i am at work right now. I'll go back and try this as well when i get home in the evening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf_234 View Post
well, i had trouble finding the exact post i was talking about but did find more valuable info in regard to the second key.. also, it looks as though people have confirmed this process on this thread