E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-23-2010, 03:51 PM   #1
E4orty6

My Ride: '05 ZHP Coupe
BF Goodrich KDW 2 - get or stay away?

Looking for new tires and have been wanting to get these for the past 7 years.

Have had potenzas re 040, kuhno MX and am worried going from the potenza's that these will be really loud.
E4orty6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:03 PM   #2
AAblown

My Ride: e46 m3, e36 m3, H2
dont know about BF, i had PS2's and just bought POTENZA RE11;

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Br...tenza-RE11.htm

pics at;
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....=Potenza+RE-11

ill never go back to PS2, i run Dunlop Z1's on my track car, only reason i didnt go with dunlop w my E46 is cause they dont offer my tire size i wanted.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:18 PM   #3
E4orty6

How do you like the re11?
Old 07-23-2010, 04:28 PM   #4
AAblown

very grippy, i love them. just looking at the tread pattern compared to my PS2 you can tell they grip better. I wouldnt recommed them unless you lived in a warm state though, not much ice or cold here in FL. maybe a lil more road noise than most tires but i have a loud exhasut and a vert so i dont notice it. They give me a more connected to the road feel, if you know what i mean. My e46 drives more like my E36 now which is good. Good for people if you like to drive, but not so much for comfort and road noise IMO.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:33 PM   #5
AAblown

u can look at the tires on my car here;

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=780003
Old 07-23-2010, 06:27 PM   #6
Penguin Koolaid
Banned

My Ride: Inline Six
They're the loudest tires I've ever heard. I would never buy them for that reason alone. It would drive me insane.
Penguin Koolaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 08:32 AM   #7
E4orty6

Thanks...I don't mind a little road noise as i have an exhaust and cai but people have complained about this I feel I'll buy them think things are okay then at 8K start having drone or loud noises. As much as the re040's sucks grip wise they are nice a quiet. I miss my firewhak SZ 50's. Super grippy, quiet and made right next to the S02's. I'll never find a tire like that again. RIP
Old 07-29-2010, 07:10 PM   #8
Squidlipps72

My Ride: 05 M3
I've been through about 5 sets (in the rears) of BFG KDW2, excellent grip wet/ dry, and like everyone says they're loud as heck.... I didn't realize how loud they were until I put on my current tires, Falken. Otherwise the KDW2 are a great tire.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:03 AM   #9
Gary@Tirerack

My Ride: 1995 BMW M3
Like the others have said.. loud but great grip.

Tires
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BN4&...ires/index.jsp

Click sig! -->

Gary@Tirerack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 12:06 PM   #10
VMRWheels
Sponsor

My Ride: 1:25 Scale Enzo
Send a message via AIM to VMRWheels Send a message via Yahoo to VMRWheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidlipps72 View Post
I've been through about 5 sets (in the rears) of BFG KDW2, excellent grip wet/ dry, and like everyone says they're loud as heck.... I didn't realize how loud they were until I put on my current tires, Falken. Otherwise the KDW2 are a great tire.
Ill have to agree. Though they are loud, the grip level they offer is great. Majority of the stickier tires though will have a higher noise rating then lets say a harder compound All-Season tire. It will be tough to find a high grip tire with low noise at an affordable cost.

-Charles@VMRWheels

Facebook! | Flickr! | Blog! | Instagram!
*** WINTER WHEEL/TIRE SALE!! ***
VMRWheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 05:44 PM   #11
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
I don't find the Dunlop Z1 star specs that noisy. They are not horrible when temps stay in the low 40's. So the Z1s might be something to consider.
bigjae1976 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:48 AM   #12
ari00

My Ride: 04 330ci
I've had KDW2s for 5 summer seasons and just bought a new set last week. They get progressively louder I believe, as the tread wears.. However, with the stereo even at low volume (I'm 37 and never listen to it at more than 1/5 of the volume), you;ll hardly notice it. Gives the car some additional "character" too IMO. I love the tread pattern, and as others said, the grip and lifespan is amazing for the price. I know one of the guys above said he's on his 5th set. I drive HARD, don't let the age fool u...friends call me a 17 y/o pizza delivery driver on crack. And still I've managed about 40k miles on one rear set. Granted he's got an M3 and mine's only a 330 (but 6 speed), but still...unless you're drifting or tracking often...wow, 5 sets??
ari00 is offline   Reply With Quote