E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-23-2010, 07:28 PM   #1
Bookedup

My Ride: 06 M3 Imola Red
Peake Scan tool owners, question..

Hello fellow fanatics,
This past week i threw a CEL light. After reading a lot here, I decided to buy the Peake tool. From the time the light came on and delivery of the tool the light went off. Prior to it going off. I did loosen and retighten the gas cap. I don't think that made the light go out, as I had not added gas in over a week. My question is now that the light has been off for two days, should i still throw the scan tool on to see what it tells me? I've heard the codes are stored until cleared,
or should i leave it alone and hope for the best. BACKGROUND- Car is a 2004 325XI and will turn 49,000 miles tomorrow. It has never thrown any types of lights during its life. Thoughts/Advice?

Thanks in advance,

Rob
Bookedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:28 PM   #2
golf_234

My Ride: E90
yeah the code will still be stored. it wont hurt to read it lol . id just clear everything then check again in like two weeks

2008 135i | Year 1 of the 1 | AW/Black Boston Leather | N54 | JB4 | Map 5 | 19" Matte Black CSLs | Comfort Access
Adaptive Xenons | Premium/Sport | Cold Weather | Brembos | Clear Bra | Auto Dim | Rain Sensor | 350 WHP
golf_234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 08:47 PM   #3
blarf

My Ride: '00 323i
The evap stuff will take a few drive cycles to clear, so it could very well have been the cap.
blarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:38 PM   #4
Bookedup

Thanks for the quick responses gents. I'll give it a look tomorrow and report back.

Cheers,
Old 07-23-2010, 09:52 PM   #5
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
49k and an 06. Is your warrantee up? If not, I'd be finding all the little things that I wanted cleared up. As a bonus they'll give a printout history of anything the car has been through, including that code.

/// MODS
/// Auto => 6-Spd Manual Conversion | Apex EC-7 | Koni/Ground Control Coilovers | Vorshlag Camber Plates | Meyle HD LCA | PowerFlex bushings | GruppeM rep CAI | Shark Injector | 6000k HID's and Fogs | BMW European MTechII | BMW Performance Shifter | ACS Mirrors and Rear Spoiler ///
TitaniumCranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 07:45 AM   #6
Bookedup

Warrenty is up with "time" unfortunately...
Old 07-26-2010, 01:58 PM   #7
Peake Research
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: E46
Hi - thanks for choosing our product!

As mentioned, there is no harm in connecting the tool. It simply reads whatever codes have been stored - it cannot and will not disrupt anything.

Chances are, the issue has been resolved. However, each time the warning light is triggered, a fault code is generated and stored. Using our tool to retrieve and clear the codes will help you track any issues that come up later. If you don't clear them, you won't know which are 'current' and which are 'historical'.

That said - there's nothing wrong with leaving them in memory, aside from potential confusion down the line.

Best of luck,

Ken
Peake Research is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 04:49 PM   #8
grocerygttr

My Ride: 2001 325xiT
free bump for Peake..a great tool!
grocerygttr is offline   Reply With Quote