E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-25-2010, 01:56 AM   #1
CBIRDave

My Ride: CB M3
how much is a clutch install?

went through 2 stock clutches on my M3, decided to go with a spec clutch now. just curious to see what kind of numbers i should be looking at. i heard its expensive on bimmers

any places you recommend in the NJ area? thanks guys.

-Dave

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-25-2010, 03:50 AM   #2
SweTurbo
Big Pimpin'

My Ride: 323i -98
DIY , i have done 2 of these now , ain't that hard

You could be quoted anything from 300 to 1000 (atleast in sweden)
SweTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 05:25 AM   #3
GoingNuts
Just Nuts

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
This thread is extremely odd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by l djayr l View Post
went through 2 stock clutches on my M3
You had 2 clutch jobs done before so you should know how much a clutch job costs by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pir4t View Post
DIY , i have done 2 of these now , ain't that hard
Why have you done it twice ? If you didn't get it right the first time and had to do it again, then it must be quite hard. A clutch job is difficult enough that vast majority of people can't do it. If you know an easy way, then show us your DIY.

Last edited by GoingNuts; 07-25-2010 at 05:31 AM.
GoingNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 06:15 AM   #4
dakkon

My Ride: e46 330ci/e30 318is
700$ for labor in NH....

if you have already gone though 2 then the tranny has already been taken off the motor, so it shouldn't be "too" bad to separate again.

also if your that hard on a clutch, i would go with a UUC product......
dakkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 06:37 AM   #5
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by l djayr l View Post
went through 2 stock clutches on my M3, decided to go with a spec clutch now. just curious to see what kind of numbers i should be looking at. i heard its expensive on bimmers

any places you recommend in the NJ area? thanks guys.

-Dave
IMG in Union is my place and I love them...908 688 8118...not too far from you.

Also, nothing personal, but I also suspect you're doing some things with your clutch that maybe you should do less of (that is, unless you're racing every weekend!).

If you're holding car on hill with clutch partially engaged, or always launching from a stop, then either do something different, or just keep getting clutches.

Anyway, I do think you've picked up some habit in using clutch that you might want to reexamine...though I know that changing habits can be very difficult!

HTH

Doug

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 12:27 PM   #6
jrzym3

My Ride: 03 m3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingNuts View Post

You had 2 clutch jobs done before so you should know how much a clutch job costs by now.

Why have you done it twice ? If you didn't get it right the first time and had to do it again, then it must be quite hard. A clutch job is difficult enough that vast majority of people can't do it. If you know an easy way, then show us your DIY.
haha u wouldnt even kno what its like to have a fast car u have a reg boring 3 series

Last edited by jrzym3; 07-25-2010 at 12:35 PM.
jrzym3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 12:32 PM   #7
CBIRDave

Quote:

why is this odd? first clutch was replaced for free under warranty. ok. so now my second clutch is slipping like crazy and isnt grabbing as hard as it should be.

see modded M3s that are tracked alot usually tend to go through stock clutches alot.....but you dont own a modded M3 so i guess you dont know from personal experience lol

anyways, car is tracked every other week all through the summer. i finally bought a good spec clutch that'll handle power. just seeing what shops will give me a good deal.

better GoingNuts?
Old 07-25-2010, 01:24 PM   #8
dakkon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrzym3 View Post
haha u wouldnt even kno what its like to have a fast car u have a reg boring 3 series
um, i have a 3 series and i get better lap times than a lot of M's do. just because you have an M doesn't mean **** man.....

have a nice day.

Last edited by dakkon; 07-25-2010 at 01:27 PM.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:46 PM   #9
SweTurbo
Big Pimpin'

My Ride: 323i -98
Quote:

This might blow your mind .. I have 2 cars ?

There's no technical difficulties in doing a change , just the weight of the tranny.

It might get "sticky" on the dowels , however if you have had 2 jobs they should be loose by now ^^
SweTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 02:50 PM   #10
pilot_alex

My Ride: 2005 BMW 330CI
Send a message via MSN to pilot_alex Send a message via Skype™ to pilot_alex
Roughly 700
Old 07-25-2010, 04:23 PM   #11
GoingNuts
Just Nuts

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
Quote:
Well I do know the M3 has a girly big butt that I never liked. Being that the car is an extension of the person driving it, I wouldn't know what is it like to be driving such a car and being thought of as being a big girl either. I saw a girl driving one the other day and I thought what a nice butt they both have.

Last edited by GoingNuts; 07-25-2010 at 04:26 PM.
GoingNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 04:25 PM   #12
SHK&BAK3

My Ride: rustles jimmies
I would say about 1k plus or minus a couple of bucks.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:58 PM   #13
Ginga325ci

My Ride: 2001 325ci
Quote:
hmm...douche bag?

glad this was your first post on the forum. you contributed very well.
Ginga325ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 06:28 PM   #14
tiloulou330i

My Ride: 02 330i zsp
Send a message via AIM to tiloulou330i Send a message via MSN to tiloulou330i Send a message via Yahoo to tiloulou330i
Quote:
What an idiotic comment!Typical M3 driver.

Originally Posted by nawmean?
I know I sound naive, but some of the advice I've taken from this board has helped my life quite a bit
tiloulou330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 07:12 PM   #15
dakkon

tiloulou330i, i wouldn't say "typical" just a particular ass hole that doesn't know **** about owning a BMW..... this is why people think everyone that owns a BMW are Ass holes....

l djayr l, why don't you talk to someone at the track, I'm sure there are plenty of people that would help you with that, quite a few people that have race cars, do their own wrenching......

btw, i know people that have "real M race cars" that use the stock clutch just fine.... so it is NOT normal to go though clutches like that......
Old 07-25-2010, 11:00 PM   #16
CBIRDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot_alex View Post
Roughly 700
straight answer. just what i wanted. none of this bs.

anyways, the stock clutch really isnt meant to hold alot of power over stock and to be tracked alot.

ill probally take it easy with the car for now, save up for a light weight flywheel and just do both at once. i have a feeling this is going to be more expensive then i thought lol i figured it was going to be around 500 not 700-1000. o well.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:05 PM   #17
dreamdrivedrift

My Ride: 99 M3 & 95 325i
Send a message via AIM to dreamdrivedrift
It was $600 at my local race shop (RRT)
Old 07-26-2010, 05:17 AM   #18
Commander FAT
Network Analyst

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
The douche baggery in this thread is astounding.

A clutch job at any indy shop would be around 8 or 900 bucks. That's a guestimate.

As for the OP looking for the best deal to install his customer supplied parts...Eh...typically shops aren't crazy about installing user supplied parts, at least in my experience. Also you pretty much get no warranty.

Last edited by Commander FAT; 07-26-2010 at 05:20 AM.
Commander FAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:41 AM   #19
jrzym3

My Ride: 03 m3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiloulou330i View Post
What an idiotic comment!Typical M3 driver.
typical m3 driver? that's a typical response to someone who doesn't own one
jrzym3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:15 PM   #20
TRBOVNM

My Ride: 04 330 CI/04 Cobra
Send a message via AIM to TRBOVNM
Quote:
Quote:
typical m3 driver? that's a typical response to someone who doesn't own one
aside from the vehicle that the guy has on this site, how do you know he doesn't know what it's like to have a fast car? I use my boring 3 series as a daily driver and love it. to me it isn't boring because it is my first bmw and first car with some of the technology that it comes with.

To the others here, should I assume that the BMW is treated like the Corvette in terms of "BMW tax" and everything priced higher just because of the type of vehicle it is?

I didn't spend a lot of time looking under my car when I had it on my lift, but it didn't seem like it would be that hard to do the swap. for 700-1000 I would assume it takes the better part of a day to do a clutch swap. I haven't researched it yet since I don't need to replace mine, so maybe there is a lot more involved than;

dropping exhaust, driveshaft, disconnecting hydraulic lines, removing part of shifter, tranny, starter, then bell housing(also referred to as clutch housing). replace clutch/flywheel, clutch slave cylinder and replace in reverse order? Of course bleed the system after that.

Last edited by TRBOVNM; 07-26-2010 at 12:20 PM.
TRBOVNM is offline   Reply With Quote