E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-25-2010, 03:27 PM   #1
amish_car_racer

My Ride: 1999 323i
Anybody get MIST servicing on their car?

I was thinking about getting this mist service performed on my car to combat some of the nasty smells when I turn the AC on. According to this motor head show on FSN, it eliminates the mold spores and other nasties found on the evaporator which causes the smell. It seems this may be a better route to go than taking the dash out to replace/clean the evaporator.

http://www.misthealthyair.org/

Has anybody had this done? Was it worth the money?
amish_car_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-25-2010, 03:58 PM   #2
delmarco

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
mmmmm...

Did she say "penis-cilium"? lol

OP:

There is bacteria and mold EVERYWHERE!

That is why our bodies have something called an IMMUNE SYSTEM

If you spend money killing everything around you then two things will happen

1. You will go broke (and these nut jobs will grow rich off of your paranoia), because it is virtually impossible to destroy everything
as strains of bacteria and the like tend to do something well....ADAPT and get STRONGER!

2. You will fcuk up your own immune system or that of a developing child or baby as your body's immune system becomes lax in the the presence of little or no bacteria and allergens.
So the minute you get into someone elses dirty truck or car you DIE!* because your immune system forgot about fighting bacteria and "penis-cilium".

*you don't DIE but you get sick or start to have an allergic reaction to the shock of leaving your car and entering another filty car filled with penis-cilium

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917

Last edited by delmarco; 07-25-2010 at 04:06 PM.
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 04:43 PM   #3
afstud

My Ride: 2003 ZHP 6-speed
i think its a waste.. i have driven many different cars or long periods of time and none of them i have ever gotten sick from or ever felt different after being in one for a long time even with A/C on or heat.. i think its a joke.
afstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 05:42 PM   #4
B
OG Moderator Extraordinaire

My Ride: 325iX-M3-525iT-M5
Send a message via AIM to B
if you follow the correct procedure which is to turn off the AC for 2-3 minutes before arrival at a destination but keep the fan running it should dry out the system and you won't have a problem to begin with
Old 07-25-2010, 05:42 PM   #5
xi_ter

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Don't waste money on this.Buy an aerosol can of Lysol, remove cabin air filter and spray the Lysol into the cabin air inlet just below the windshield. Spray with the fan full blast for about 5 minutes. Lysol comes in several pleasant smelling varieties. Cost $3.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:57 PM   #6
delmarco

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Quote:
Originally Posted by xi_ter View Post
Don't waste money on this.Buy an aerosol can of Lysol, remove cabin air filter and spray the Lysol into the cabin air inlet just below the windshield. Spray with the fan full blast for about 5 minutes. Lysol comes in several pleasant smelling varieties. Cost $3.
uhm.....

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:02 PM   #7
amish_car_racer

My Ride: 1999 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
mmmmm...

Did she say "penis-cilium"? lol

OP:

There is bacteria and mold EVERYWHERE!

That is why our bodies have something called an IMMUNE SYSTEM

If you spend money killing everything around you then two things will happen

1. You will go broke (and these nut jobs will grow rich off of your paranoia), because it is virtually impossible to destroy everything
as strains of bacteria and the like tend to do something well....ADAPT and get STRONGER!

2. You will fcuk up your own immune system or that of a developing child or baby as your body's immune system becomes lax in the the presence of little or no bacteria and allergens.
So the minute you get into someone elses dirty truck or car you DIE!* because your immune system forgot about fighting bacteria and "penis-cilium".

*you don't DIE but you get sick or start to have an allergic reaction to the shock of leaving your car and entering another filty car filled with penis-cilium
delmarco – Sounds like you’re one of those people that goes to the bathroom then doesn’t wash your hands in order to keep your immune system functioning. Good for you! When I need a class about our immunity systems, I’ll come to you for your vast knowledge on the subject. You’re a doctor that can explain this to me in full detail, right (or did you sleep in a Holiday Inn)? Again, my post was pertaining to the foul smell experienced by posters with their AC due to the evaporator.

What creates the smell that many report coming from the AC (maybe mold spores, mildew and bacteria)? I've heard many posters on websites receiving recommendations for cleaning their evaporator to remove the smell coming through their air ducts. I thought this may be a simpler method of removing those mold spores and bacteria for the main purpose of ridding oneself of the odor vs evaporator cleaning.

Here are a couple of references backing my assertions:

http://www.bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/AC/smell.htm
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...rom+evaporator
amish_car_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:52 PM   #8
Jmanscotch

My Ride: makes my pants tight
Quote:
This is what my local dealer told me to do as it is what THEY do to customers cars...It works for me, at least temporarily, just didn't see the dealer for a place that would cut corners....wait
Old 07-26-2010, 12:56 PM   #9
Titanium3Series

My Ride: 03 325,97Max,02Gsxr
Quote:
I do this as well. I buy an a/c duct disinfect in an aerosol can from the auto parts store. It costs about $10 and i use it about once a year and everytime i start to get the funk it kills it out pretty quick.

l 2003 BMW 325i l 1997 Nissan Maxima l 2002 GSXR Telefonica l
Titanium3Series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 01:04 PM   #10
Goughie

My Ride: 330d Sport Touring
I had an AC bomb done on the 760 and it's great so far!

"The protection of views purely on religious grounds cannot be justified. It is not only an irrational idea, but it is also divisive, capricious and arbitrary" - Lord Justice Laws, UK 29/04/2010
Goughie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 01:28 PM   #11
Roxlo

My Ride: e46 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
uhm.....
uhm what? It works perfectly.
Roxlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 03:14 PM   #12
makecopies

My Ride: Gods Chariot
I used this and it worked great and the smell never came back
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BG-FR...item1c0de89113
makecopies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:14 PM   #13
bishop1977

My Ride: 04 330i ZHP S/C
just get some frigifresh turn the ac on to 1/3 power on fresh air and use the whole can...if you go full blast it turns off the fresh air to recirc
bishop1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:22 PM   #14
SL Blak Soldier

My Ride: 3 Pedal SG S54B32
Send a message via AIM to SL Blak Soldier
lol. i saw that on FSN the other day too.