E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2013, 12:05 PM   #61
bgsmith

My Ride: No longer an e46
Send a message via AIM to bgsmith
Show is awesome, been watching it from the beginning.

I know a lot of people that aren't fans because they have the attention span of a knat with ADD, and there isn't enough going on in this show for them. When in fact this is probably the most complex show on TV.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:25 PM   #62
TruckDaddy

My Ride: 1991 Kenworth T600
I hear ya. Tried getting my brother and a few friends into it. They said it was too slow. If things aren't happening right in front of them, they don't bother watching it.

Say what again. Say What AGAIN! I DARE YA, I DOUBLE DARE YA MOTHAFCUKA! SAY WHAT ONE MORE GOD DAMN TIME!
Quote:
Originally Posted by enter
It's a social thing guys get over it. My mom said in Chinese culture the longer your hair down there is the higher class you are, and my mom is one of the classiest ladies i know.
TruckDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:34 PM   #63
Bmwdad

My Ride: 2003 M3
My wife and I just started watching it a couple weeks ago. Bout 20 episodes in. Usually watch one a night after the kids are down. She loves it. Really is a great show
Bmwdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:46 PM   #64
zuckuss00

My Ride: K24Z7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsmith View Post
Show is awesome, been watching it from the beginning.

I know a lot of people that aren't fans because they have the attention span of a knat with ADD, and there isn't enough going on in this show for them. When in fact this is probably the most complex show on TV.
Exactly, a lot of symbolism in each episode and I love the historic influences on everything. This season is 1968 a lot happens that year. (First heart transplant, MLK, RFK, Vietnam)

I also like Betty's character. She's suppose to portray the "ideal" wife of the era, but she is so messed up in the head. Really saw that come through last night.

UUC Motorwerks | Vörsteiner | JLeviSW | VMR | DTM-Spec | Euro Dyne | ModBargains | EAS
zuckuss00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:31 PM   #65
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
We're getting ready to watch the latest episode on DVR. I figure that with us skipping over the commercials, it should take...oh, about 20 minutes.
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:37 PM   #66
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post
We're getting ready to watch the latest episode on DVR. I figure that with us skipping over the commercials, it should take...oh, about 20 minutes.
It's a two hour premiere. Run time is a little over an hour and a half.
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:38 PM   #67
VaderDave
Invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grande D View Post
It's a two hour premiere. Run time is a little over an hour and a half.
I'm just being facetious.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:08 PM   #68
fayraree

My Ride: 04 M3 vert
so yeah, this last episode was so random. too much going on; i'm way more into GoT this season unfortunately. too many flashbacks and while I don't mind seeing some vulnerability in DD, he was just a sappy incoherent weakling this episode. meh
Old 05-21-2013, 10:09 PM   #69
fayraree

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post
I'm just being facetious.
I was trying to explain the difference between facetious and sarcastic today and simply couldn't...
Old 05-21-2013, 10:20 PM   #70
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Not feeling it this season.
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:38 PM   #71
TruckDaddy

My Ride: 1991 Kenworth T600
Quote:
Originally Posted by fayraree View Post
so yeah, this last episode was so random. too much going on; i'm way more into GoT this season unfortunately. too many flashbacks and while I don't mind seeing some vulnerability in DD, he was just a sappy incoherent weakling this episode. meh
The show IS about Draper's downfall. I think between now and next seasons finale we're going to be seeing a lot more of that.

You're right though, this episode was so random. It reminded me of The Sopranos dream episode. This show flows much better when it's watched on DVD/Blu-ray because it's really a 10+ hour movie. Watching it weekly doesn't translate because you forget things that happen in earlier episodes that explain a lot in 'weird' episodes like this one.

Say what again. Say What AGAIN! I DARE YA, I DOUBLE DARE YA MOTHAFCUKA! SAY WHAT ONE MORE GOD DAMN TIME!
Quote:
Originally Posted by enter
It's a social thing guys get over it. My mom said in Chinese culture the longer your hair down there is the higher class you are, and my mom is one of the classiest ladies i know.
TruckDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:43 PM   #72
zuckuss00

Quote:
It wasn't really random. The whole agency was on speed. It was hilarious. Don is struggling between his created persona (Don Draper) and who he really is (Dick Whitman).

For 5 seasons Don has been able to cheat his way, both professionally and personally through life and he is beginning to lose touch with what he's created and Dick Whitman is starting to peer through. We also saw a bit more about Don's childhood and how he grew up in a whorehouse and now understand a bit more why he's so adulterous.

I still think this season is missing more Roger.

UUC Motorwerks | Vörsteiner | JLeviSW | VMR | DTM-Spec | Euro Dyne | ModBargains | EAS
Old 05-22-2013, 01:06 AM   #73
Gheybe

My Ride: C6 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuckuss00 View Post
It wasn't really random. The whole agency was on speed. It was hilarious. Don is struggling between his created persona (Don Draper) and who he really is (Dick Whitman).

For 5 seasons Don has been able to cheat his way, both professionally and personally through life and he is beginning to lose touch with what he's created and Dick Whitman is starting to peer through. We also saw a bit more about Don's childhood and how he grew up in a whorehouse and now understand a bit more why he's so adulterous.

I still think this season is missing more Roger.
This.
Gheybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:07 AM   #74
fayraree

***Official Mad Men Thread***

More roger and wtf was with that thief showing up. I was genuinely confused thinking maybe there was a black lady in DD's life because, like his daughter confessed later, we know so little of him. So I got that part, it was insightful, and awesome titays on that ho that helped boy DD when he was sick. But everything else was weird with that hippy girl, one time she's in DD's office with a stethoscope, the next she's banging that bearded dude. I dunno it was all over the place. And bearded dude gets cut when they're playing that William Tell apple thingy. Weird bro.

I guess that's what drugs do to you lol.

Last edited by fayraree; 05-22-2013 at 01:09 AM.
fayraree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:28 AM   #75
'busa

My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
Last two episodes were disappointing. The drugs episode was just plain weird without much in terms of redeeming factors. The latest one, despite Abe's stabbing and Don and Betty felt just meh...
Old 05-29-2013, 11:24 AM   #76
zuckuss00

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
Last two episodes were disappointing. The drugs episode was just plain weird without much in terms of redeeming factors. The latest one, despite Abe's stabbing and Don and Betty felt just meh...
Really?

I thought they were both great. Especially the last episode. Don Draper getting Drapered by new hot Betty. That was awesome. Peggy stabbing her boyfriend.

Old 05-29-2013, 11:52 AM   #77
VaderDave
Invictus

Quote:
I was trying to explain the difference between facetious and sarcastic today and simply couldn't...
Facetious means you're just kidding. Sarcasm is speech that is designed to cut.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:30 PM   #78
'busa

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuckuss00 View Post
Really?

I thought they were both great. Especially the last episode. Don Draper getting Drapered by new hot Betty. That was awesome. Peggy stabbing her boyfriend.
It just seems a bit disjointed. Betty's hot again all of a sudden, as if she never gained 80 lbs? Too many people, too many stories and the direction of the show feels very unsure.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:32 PM   #79
'busa

This summarized it well for me:

As Ted is perpetually starting fresh, Don is moving backward. I didn't entirely buy the reunion of Don and Betty. Or maybe it's that whenever Don goes on the road, it feels like a dream sequence. For starters, where did this Varga girl version of Betty come from? Didn't we see her looking a little bloated on the couch just last week? How did her perpetual efforts at "reducing" finally take hold? How is this new old Betty so full of wisdom, self-awareness, tenderness, mellowness, and easy laughter? And how did Don so quickly forget about Sylvia? Also, I couldn't really follow those mountain metaphors. "Just because you climb a mountain, doesn't mean you love it"?? That sounds like something Andy on Parks and Rec would say. http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/t...d_and_don.html
Old 05-29-2013, 08:50 PM   #80
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
Show get any better after season 3?

I caught up then stopped watching after my cousin left the show

Want to get into breaking bad too

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I agree with JonJon.

Last edited by JonJon; 05-29-2013 at 08:51 PM.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote