E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing
Get detailing answers and tips here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-26-2010, 09:32 AM   #1
clubbinbimma

My Ride: BMW 318i SE
e46 leather care...?

any particular products i can use to take care of the black leather interior? my back seats are still newish / black mat looking leather whilst the front ones go abit shiney....can i get it mattish like the back or once its used thats how the leather becomes?

THE MALTESE WAY :)
clubbinbimma is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:48 AM   #2
golf_234

My Ride: 07 C230 MT
Leatherique. They have it over at detailed image. use the cleaner, then the oil by far the best product out .

2008 135i | Year 1 of the 1 | AW/Black Boston Leather | N54 | JB4 | Map 5 | 19" Matte Black CSLs | Comfort Access
Adaptive Xenons | Premium/Sport | Cold Weather | Brembos | Clear Bra | Auto Dim | Rain Sensor | 350 WHP
golf_234 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:07 AM   #3
OrientBlau

My Ride: 2003 330i
I need to treat my leather as well. Its been a while. I did buy some of that Leatherique stuff, both the cleaner and conditioner. It worked okay. Will have to purchase some more.

When you do apply it, do so in the hot hot sun. Use a liberal amount and cover the seats witha large garbage bag so the heat and bag help soak the leather with conditioner.
OrientBlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:08 AM   #4
golf_234

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrientBlau View Post
I need to treat my leather as well. Its been a while. I did buy some of that Leatherique stuff, both the cleaner and conditioner. It worked okay. Will have to purchase some more.

When you do apply it, do so in the hot hot sun. Use a liberal amount and cover the seats witha large garbage bag so the heat and bag help soak the leather with conditioner.
ah. good advice. what other products are out there?

2008 135i | Year 1 of the 1 | AW/Black Boston Leather | N54 | JB4 | Map 5 | 19" Matte Black CSLs | Comfort Access
Adaptive Xenons | Premium/Sport | Cold Weather | Brembos | Clear Bra | Auto Dim | Rain Sensor | 350 WHP
Old 07-26-2010, 11:15 AM   #5
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
There isn't another product, Golf, leatherique is all there is! Rejuvenator oil and pristine clean...letting the oil soak in while car bakes in 100 degree weather.

Been a user for easily 10 years if not more. Just ordered a new supply...think $80 with shipping for a supply that'll prolly last for about 8 applications (32 oz each)...or maybe 3 years or so.

You'd think someone else would make a leather cleaning product suitable for our cars...shocking that they don't!

Doug

dmax on the radio--answering all your car questions as best I can!
watsonnwatson.com every Wednesday at 9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 Click "Watch and Chat"
Please 'friend' me!
https://www.facebook.com/DMaxstandup
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:27 AM   #6
golf_234

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
There isn't another product, Golf, leatherique is all there is! Rejuvenator oil and pristine clean...letting the oil soak in while car bakes in 100 degree weather.

Been a user for easily 10 years if not more. Just ordered a new supply...think $80 with shipping for a supply that'll prolly last for about 8 applications (32 oz each)...or maybe 3 years or so.

You'd think someone else would make a leather cleaning product suitable for our cars...shocking that they don't!

Doug
lol. duly noted.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:30 AM   #7
wërkahölik

My Ride: wants BBS's
Anyone tried the one that BMW sells?
wërkahölik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:42 AM   #8
OrientBlau

My Ride: 2003 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by wërkahölik View Post
Anyone tried the one that BMW sells?
I bought it when I got my car new. It sucks. No different than what you might get at an Auto Store, just more expensive.

I actually just ordered some Leatherique. For $65 you get a 32 oz of cleaner and a 32 oz of conditioner.
OrientBlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:45 AM   #9
Goughie

My Ride: 330d Sport Touring
I use Autoglym products. Good stuff.

"The protection of views purely on religious grounds cannot be justified. It is not only an irrational idea, but it is also divisive, capricious and arbitrary" - Lord Justice Laws, UK 29/04/2010
Goughie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:07 PM   #10
wërkahölik

My Ride: wants BBS's
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrientBlau View Post
I bought it when I got my car new. It sucks. No different than what you might get at an Auto Store, just more expensive.

I actually just ordered some Leatherique. For $65 you get a 32 oz of cleaner and a 32 oz of conditioner.
Damn I already bought it
wërkahölik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 04:08 PM   #11
MysticBlau330Ci

My Ride: 330Ci '04
Quote:
Originally Posted by wërkahölik View Post
Damn I already bought it
It's not that bad. I use it but then I got my car new and tried to stay on top of it early. My opinion, regular cleaning is more important than treating to keep the matte finish and keep the leather supple and non-sticky. For regular cleaning I use 1 part Woolite to 5 parts water and give the seats a good wipe down once or twice per month (front seats).

BTW: Don't put too much elbow grease into it whatever you use. You may end up rubbing off the dye.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:35 PM   #12
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticBlau330Ci View Post
It's not that bad. I use it but then I got my car new and tried to stay on top of it early. My opinion, regular cleaning is more important than treating to keep the matte finish and keep the leather supple and non-sticky. For regular cleaning I use 1 part Woolite to 5 parts water and give the seats a good wipe down once or twice per month (front seats).

BTW: Don't put too much elbow grease into it whatever you use. You may end up rubbing off the dye.
I'm curious about the woolite idea, mystic...not that I don't trust you, mind you, but have never heard of this and am curious as to where you originally got this idea...or just figured it out by chance?

I've got to say that I believe Leatherique changed its instructions to include a rinsing with lightly damp cloth after the Pristine clean, but generally, I don't like the idea of either water or soap on leather...I know saddles hold up to it okay with appropriate treatment, so it might be fine...but the woolite, while might be a good cleaner, I wonder about the long term effects.

Anyway, mostly curious...

Doug

dmax on the radio--answering all your car questions as best I can!
watsonnwatson.com every Wednesday at 9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 Click "Watch and Chat"
Please 'friend' me!
https://www.facebook.com/DMaxstandup
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 04:50 PM   #13
Fooljam

My Ride: 5
You would be surprised at the number of people using Woolite.
Don't you Woolit, baby wipes etc... period!

A DIY I wrote some time ago...

Leather Master is one of the best leather cleaning brand on the market. They also have alcantara cleaning products, but for this DIY, we are going to focus on the automotive leather. Their products are water based, so unlike many others, they do not contain a lot of harmful products that contain alkaline, alcohol, petroleum derivatives and so on. It is to be noted that the kit that is covered here, is not a restoration product for leather, but it is meant for regular care, so your leather keeps it soupleness and health, ultimately, it prolonges its life.

It will do a great job, even on very dirty and faded leather, but if the leather is very old and in a very bad condition (cracked, paint fainted...), you should look at products such as Leatherique, that will provide die, filler and so on.

Anyway, let's get started.

1. The following picture shows everything you need to perform a full interior leather care. For instance:

- 4x clean clothes (+1 sponge and a bucket of clean water for very dirty leather)
- 1x bottle of Leather Master Cleaner (Strong or Soft, the Strong version contains twice the amount of cleaning agent, so it is recommended for very dirty leather).
- 1x bottle of Leather Master Vital (The nourishing "fat"/milk)
- 1x bottle of Leather Master Protection Cream (To protect against water, UV, pen stains etc..)
- 1x automative leather brush (Such as the one from Meguiar)
- 1x application (Such as the one from Meguiar)
- 1x Spray bottle (Empty)

The following picture shows a close up view of the Leather Master products

The first step is to remove dust and other debris from the leather surface you are going to clean. Use one of the clothes for that.

The next step is to poor the content of the Leather Master Cleaner into the empty spray bottle. It will make your life much easier trust me.
Once done, simply spray all the surface you want to clean generously.

Once done, use the brush by making gentle and circular moves over the surface. By doing so you will generate a nice little foam (This is at this point the cleaning agent of the cleaner really start to get to work). Leave it working 5mn or so.
Use a clean and large sponge if you do not have this kind of brush/or do not want to use one. This brush is for leather anyway, so it will not damage your leather. Be careful though, some old cars do not have the protective coating on the leather that newer cars have, so in that case, do not use the brush but the sponge only.

Do not use the brush regularly either way. The brush is to be used for cars that are very dirty only. Once you clean the leather regularly, simply use a large sponge.

Once you are done washing, use another clean clothe to wipe the Leather Master Cleaner out of your leather surface. It the clothe is black, like below, that means your leather was very dirty. You can do the operation once again, and you can also use a damp clothe/sponge to help removing even more dirt out of your leather.

Once your leather is cleaned and dried up with a clean clothe, get your hands on the Leather Master Vital. This solution is to be applied using the pad as shown on the picture below.
Apply a thin layer of the product all over the clean leather. This product will nourish the leather and restore its soupleness. It is like a hydrative lotion for our skin really.
DO NOT USE too much of it. There is no point. Repeat the operation once every 2-3 weeks or so if the leather has never been treated (or a while back) and still look faded after treatment. After a few months it will look a lot better.

Once the product has been applied, wait about 20-30mn and wipe it out with a clean clothe again (Do not reuse the damp one from the previous wash). The Vital is a very sticky product, so do not forget this step. Once wiped, the sticky touch will not be there anymore (Who wants a sticky leather really...)

Apply all over the clean surface. Use a small quantity of product, in a few steps, just enough to entirely cover the clean surface.

Ok, so this alone took you probably a little while. Now that your leather has been cleaned and nourished, it is time to "seal" it off. Use the Leather Master Protection Cream. Apply it exactly like you applied the Vital. Small quantity, wait 20-30mn, then wipe it off gently.

HTH

This is the kind of end result you achieve with Leather Master. The matt finish has been restored as you can see.

Before

After

Before cleaning of my steering wheel...

After cleaning...

Close up of the stiching...

Fooljam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 04:57 PM   #14
Roxlo

My Ride: e46 325i
Holy ****, that door panel restoration was amazing.
Roxlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 08:25 PM   #15
MysticBlau330Ci

My Ride: 330Ci '04
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
I'm curious about the woolite idea, mystic...not that I don't trust you, mind you, but have never heard of this and am curious as to where you originally got this idea...or just figured it out by chance?

I've got to say that I believe Leatherique changed its instructions to include a rinsing with lightly damp cloth after the Pristine clean, but generally, I don't like the idea of either water or soap on leather...I know saddles hold up to it okay with appropriate treatment, so it might be fine...but the woolite, while might be a good cleaner, I wonder about the long term effects.

Anyway, mostly curious...

Doug
Doug,
Being curious is good. I cruise many detailing sites and picked up the Woolite idea from one of them a long time ago. My car has a tan interior which is easy to look dirty so getting it right is very important to me. Woolite is mild as it is and the solution is diluted to 1 woolite/5 water. I use 1 cap of Woolite to 5 caps water(this is enough for the entire leather interior) . 2 tan (no risk of dye transfer to seats) microfiber rags - 1 with the solution 1 damp with water only. For the plastic/vinyl surfaces I use 303 Aerospace Protectant which keeps the like new low gloss/matte finish and offers UV protection. For the tan felt (ceiling etc) I use lint rollers so as not to push the dust and dirt deeper into material plus I personally believe using too much damp/wet stuff on the ceiling/pillars will accelerate the glue failing/falling fabric issues BMW is known for.

I have quite a bit of leather care products including Leather Masters (my prefered leather stuff)(super cleaner is VERY potent), brushes etc. But most of this is not really necessary under normal circumstances and I find simple is best.

These have worked for me for the last 6 yrs. Interior is still like new and impresses the BMW SAs etc when they see the car. No negative long term effects. Anything you're not sure of research, research, research and test somewhere safe first.
Peace.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:25 PM   #16
cdford

My Ride: 330Cic & 325Cic
ZANO makes the best leather / car care products .... you must try them.

A fast car you want
to drive slow.
cdford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:30 PM   #17
Rezist09

My Ride: 325i sedan
Website of that product please gonna do that DIY just need the links where to buy
Rezist09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:08 PM   #18
330iPilot

My Ride: Titanium Silver 330i
I've always heard pulverized sheep's placenta was good for leather......
330iPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:31 PM   #19
Rezist09

My Ride: 325i sedan
Bump web to purchase DIY product?
Rezist09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:40 PM   #20
tachi1247

My Ride: '04 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezist09 View Post
Bump web to purchase DIY product?
google search turned up a few places including amazon. have to shop around yourself for the best price....
tachi1247 is online now   Reply With Quote