E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-27-2010, 04:45 PM   #1
cgaluski

My Ride: 04 M3
Navigation Screen problem. PLEASE HELP!

Car: 2004 M3 vert/SMG/ HK sound + Nav

I had my Navigation screen / radio completely crap out on me and I am looking for a troubleshooting path forward.

History:

Initial problem: My Nav screen’s image started rolling and appeared to lose video frame sync. The selection buttons and knobs worked while the video image was distorted. I came to a stop light and turned the car off for about 10 seconds and then restarted. Same problem. I was able to still function the radio / cd player at this point, and was able to eject a CD.

I reached my destination and let the car sit for a few hours. When I returned, I started the car and observed the anomalies… The Nav head unit was oscillating from being in its closed position to attempting to open. The total distance of the oscillation was probably about a half an inch, and it kept moving back and forth. At this point the screen was black, but I was able to turn the unit on and off and the amber power indicator was still visible.

I let it sit over night and when I started the car, there was zero response from the navigation display or controls and the power light was off and would not respond.

Other information:
I visually inspected Fuse #7 (5A) and #41 (30A) and they looked fine. I swapped in like fuses of same value from known, working modules and it did not fix the problem.
All other indicators and control are working correctly (seatbelt light, headlights, windows, AC, SMG tranny, etc.)
The radio itself still works and I have steering wheel control of the volume.

Has anyone seen anything like this before or have any suggestions on how to troubleshoot, isolate, and fix the problem?

Thanks!
cgaluski is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:44 PM   #2
cgaluski

bump
Old 07-27-2010, 07:50 PM   #3
BusaNoob

My Ride: AW 06 330ci ZHP
sounds like a loose connection maybe. check wire on the back fo hu. Have you ever removed it for any reason ?
BusaNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:11 PM   #4
cgaluski

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusaNoob View Post
sounds like a loose connection maybe. check wire on the back fo hu. Have you ever removed it for any reason ?
No i have never removed it. the fact that it gradually got worse and now it is unresponsive, and the fact the the navigation screen's mechanism was fluttering sounded to me like something may have shorted out somehow... just didnt know where to look first. That was just my original thoughts but i could be way off.

The first time i saw this was right after i downshifted and took a hard turn on an off-ramp, so its possible that the high rpms may have jarred something loose...

any other thoughts before i blindly start ripping apart my dash?
Old 07-27-2010, 08:46 PM   #5
secono330ci

My Ride: 04' 330ci & 99' 540i
sounds like loose connections at the nav computer located in the left rear of the vehicle, or possably a bad nav computer all together, you can slide the nav computer out with an old ford radio tool. you need 2 tools to get it out, check all the connections in the back, look for any signs of water, dryed white marks, on nav computer itself.
you can also try a battery reset, disconnect both terminals of the battery and touch together, let sit connected for about 1 min then reconnect, test to see if anythig works now.

thas a start. good luck
secono330ci is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:43 PM   #6
cgaluski

Quote:
Originally Posted by secono330ci View Post
sounds like loose connections at the nav computer located in the left rear of the vehicle, or possably a bad nav computer all together, you can slide the nav computer out with an old ford radio tool. you need 2 tools to get it out, check all the connections in the back, look for any signs of water, dryed white marks, on nav computer itself.
you can also try a battery reset, disconnect both terminals of the battery and touch together, let sit connected for about 1 min then reconnect, test to see if anythig works now.

thas a start. good luck
So is the Nav computer in the trunk the "brains" which supplies power to the Nav head unit, processes the signal inputs from the knobs/buttons on the head unit, and also controls the head unit motor drive?

I'm trying to get as smart on this system as i can before deciding to pull out the head unit or nav computer and start probing connections. i will try the battery reset tomorrow.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:10 AM   #7
morregerbert

My Ride: 99 328I
you should try to get a trouble codes from navi control module, it will give some hints.
morregerbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 02:34 AM   #8
325ciEnthusaist

My Ride: 325ci
bump! same problem.....
325ciEnthusaist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 01:59 PM   #9
325ciEnthusaist

anyone have any ideas?? if it was the nav computer how much would something like that cost?
Old 08-22-2010, 04:15 PM   #10
325ciEnthusaist

well guys i unplugged the battery today and let it sit for a few.... when i hooked it back up and turned the car on the navi screen came back up and running......now i just need to see how long it'll last
Old 07-12-2012, 03:56 AM   #11
|2eckLesS

My Ride: 2004 330ci
So I have come into the same problem, soon after Installing my BSW Ipod Integration Kit. I thought the device had just gone out all together. I reset the battery and still nothing but steering controls. So I took the trunk apart again and the BSW module casing had come apart and the circuit board was just dangling. (Im sure touching metal back there)

I am thinking that when it hit metal it grounded and blew a fuse behind the NAV somewhere. I also checked all the fuses and they were both ok. Next step is going to be pull the nav out and see if I can find anything/fuse that need to be replaced back there.

Worst case I have found a bezel that actually looks good in the e46 and I am going to go with the new Pioneer App Radio. They have an OBD II Senor Wifi/BT App that has all sorts of awesome functions and completely owns the stock NAV/Computer. I am almost too excited to just go on and invest in the Pioneer.

DashCommand
Palmer Performance

Brian
|2eckLesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:46 AM   #12
|2eckLesS

My Ride: 2004 330ci
bump. Been dealing with fm transmitter for too long. I dont want to go something that doesnt look OE. Dynavin has too many issues for something that will cost 1000.00. Any others with some ideas?

Tags
navigation, stereo