E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-28-2016, 09:18 AM   #1
SamDoe1

My Ride: 4cyl of fury
Let's talk smoking

I just bought a 30" electric, electronic controlled, no window smoker. It'll be here Thursday. School me on what I need to know, what to smoke first (easiest), and how to get better. Also, recommendations for rubs and processes would be awesome.

It's about time we have another food thread up in here.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 06-28-2016 at 09:31 AM.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 09:22 AM   #2
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Ribs, son. I've never messed with an electric smoker, though. I'm a glutton for punishment and like to be a slave to the smoke.
Old 06-28-2016, 09:29 AM   #3
cowmoo32
.--. . -. .. ...

My Ride: Yukon
Pork shoulder > *

flickher

Want something 3D printed? PM me

What's this about a brownie in motion?
cowmoo32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 09:31 AM   #4
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
There is already a thread on this but i'll give some pointers that i've learned over the years. Since you are using electric, no need to go over charcoal preferences, hard woods, etc.

- Smoke when the meat is cold, do not bring the meat up to room temp. Cold meat brings the flavor in better.
- If you are doing a brisket, I always brine it for a day, then add dry rub overnight, then smoke for 1hr per lb. 196 internal temp is the sweet spot, smoke until you hit that temperate. To understand more about brisket smoking, you'll need to read the following link.

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech...the_stall.html

Little hint... after you smoke a brisket for however many hours, you can wrap it up twice (very tightly) in HD aluminum foil and bake it at 225 in the oven if your internal temp didn't make it to 196. No need to over smoke the brisket. Finish in the oven, let it rest for a bit, then you can toss it on a grill at low heat (or back in the smoker) to get some of that bark back.

For ribs, look up the 3-2-1 method. Amazingribs.com is one of the best resources on line for your smoking basics. Have fun!

Also, what smoker did you get? I'm thinking about getting an electric because of how easy they are. Do electric smokers give off a different flavor since its not charcoal/hardwood burning? I need to do more research on them before I pull the trigger. It would be so nice to set it and forget it.
Old 06-28-2016, 09:35 AM   #5
JJR4884

Also, invest in a handful of thermometers. I would never trust the thermostat of a smoker or cheap thermometer of a charcoal grill. There are nice probe thermometers that tell you the internal temp of the meat, as well as the temperature inside the grill. When you are doing a large piece of meat like a brisket, its good to have a probe on both sides so you can see if there is a certain side that cooks a little hotter. Also helpful since a (real) brisket isn't an even cut of meat. The point tends to taper off so you'll have a much thicker part of the brisket towards one end. Always good to keep an eye on the the internal temp at both the thick and thin sides.
Old 06-28-2016, 09:43 AM   #6
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJR4884 View Post
There is already a thread on this but i'll give some pointers that i've learned over the years. Since you are using electric, no need to go over charcoal preferences, hard woods, etc.

- Smoke when the meat is cold, do not bring the meat up to room temp. Cold meat brings the flavor in better.
- If you are doing a brisket, I always brine it for a day, then add dry rub overnight, then smoke for 1hr per lb. 196 internal temp is the sweet spot, smoke until you hit that temperate. To understand more about brisket smoking, you'll need to read the following link.

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech...the_stall.html

Little hint... after you smoke a brisket for however many hours, you can wrap it up twice (very tightly) in HD aluminum foil and bake it at 225 in the oven if your internal temp didn't make it to 196. No need to over smoke the brisket. Finish in the oven, let it rest for a bit, then you can toss it on a grill at low heat (or back in the smoker) to get some of that bark back.

For ribs, look up the 3-2-1 method. Amazingribs.com is one of the best resources on line for your smoking basics. Have fun!

Also, what smoker did you get? I'm thinking about getting an electric because of how easy they are. Do electric smokers give off a different flavor since its not charcoal/hardwood burning? I need to do more research on them before I pull the trigger. It would be so nice to set it and forget it.
Thank you! I will do that research. I've read that brisket is super hard to do for a beginner so I'm looking for something easier... True?

I got this smoker:
https://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-2...lectric+smoker

But wally world has it for ~$30 cheaper with free shipping. I don't think it matters for the heat source but the purists will always want charcoal. With smoke, you aren't applying a direct heat source and aren't using the heat source as a method of adding flavor it doesn't really matter what you have. I bought electric for the very same reason, I don't want to fvck around with charcoal either. I have a charcoal grill and, while it tastes awesome for burgers and steaks and stuff, it sucks to maintain a lower temp rather than have it go full blast hot.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 06-28-2016 at 09:48 AM.
Old 06-28-2016, 09:47 AM   #7
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
Pork shoulder > *
I might do this over the 4th, we have a party to go to. I want to do ribs for the wife on Friday since I have the day off.
Old 06-28-2016, 09:48 AM   #8
GRIFFIN
NWS

My Ride: fast
I have a big chief electric smoker.

** Removed - Please stop - Tim330i **
*NWS GIF REMOVED*
*GIF REMOVED*
* Continuing to put animated images in your sig will get you banned - Tim330i *
**You make me so horny.- Tim330i **
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedges View Post
I can honestly say that because of Griffin, i am desensitized to alot of wierd stuff!
GRIFFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 10:00 AM   #9
Wraisil

My Ride: 2010 Infiniti G37
Okay, here goes:

Step #1 - Order the A-Maze-N pellet tray or tube. I use the 5x8 tray in mine (I have the 30" MES with window and the 40" without the window).
Step #2 - Get some wood pellets of various types, hickory or mesquite works well for most beef cuts, fruit wood (apple, peach etc) goes great for most porks imo. Have some of each around.
Step #3 - Join this Facebook group (if you're on Facebook).

Now, on to the differences you'll notice when smoking with an electric smoker. First off, you'll get plenty of smoke flavor without a problem, but you won't have any charcoal flavor so the flavor is slightly different, but most people don't notice the charcoal flavor over the wood smoke flavor anyway so it's really minor. More noticeable, however, is that you'll almost never get a "smoke" ring. Visually noticeable, has no impact of flavor however (the smoke ring is caused by NO and NO2 byproducts of combustions reacting with the meat, not the smoke flavor itself.. as you have little combustion relative to a smoker burning stuff for heat, you'll rarely-to-never get enough combustion byproducts to produce a smoke ring).

Brisket is actually pretty easy. Here's Jim Fanto's recipe from the files of the Facebook group I linked above (tons of great recipes in the group by the way).

Quote:
Jim's Secret Beef brisket

Rub simple
50/50 Kosher Salt and Black pepper (4Tbs each)
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1 tbs paprika
1/2 tbs cayenne pepper
Or TEXAS Style : 50/50 Kosher Salt and Black Pepper ( Tone's Restaurant Style Black Pepper it's 14-16 mesh) Or what ever Rub You want to use

Wood: hickory, or Oak or Mesquite

OK here's the secret:
Trim Fat cap to 1/4 inch also cut out any hard fat. Then lay down an even coat of the rub all over (Don't skimp on the rub but you don't want to over apply it.) Pat the rub in don't rub it. Wrap put in refrigerate over night.
Preheat smoker to 235 add your favorite wood chips. Or A-Maze-N pellet smoker or cold smoke.
Add Apple cider vinegar to the water pan about 1/2 full. Vent 1/2 open.
Cook at 235-250 fat cap down until internal temp 196-200.
Remove and double wrap in Aluminum foil and a towel place it into an empty cooler and pile some towels on top to take up the air space and increase the insulation. Let it rest at least 45 min to 1 hour ( The longer you can leave it the better) before slicing. Now don't tell any one it's a secret...

Note 1: I also do the bend test.Which is bend the brisket if it's stiff don't buy it, but if it bends then it a good one. The other thing I try to do is buy a better grade. Select=Good, Choice=Better, Prime=Best.
Note 2: You always want to use Kosher salt and not Table salt, Table salt is too fine and will clump in spots. If you feel that it might be too salty for your taste the use 3 tbs and not 4 tbs.
Note 3: It should take approximately 45 minutes to 1 hour per pound when cooking at 225 degrees. If you increase the temp to 250 degrees, it would shave 15 minutes off of the cook time for each pound. As always, check intrenal temp and cook to desired internal temp. NOT TIME. If you were cooking more then one you would not combine the weight of your briskets for a total time. Base your cooking time on the individual brisket.
Wraisil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 10:07 AM   #10
JJR4884

Obligatory brisket pics

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1467126425.916330.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	355.3 KB
ID:	635508

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1467126456.503756.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	344.0 KB
ID:	635509

Last edited by JJR4884; 06-28-2016 at 10:08 AM.
JJR4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 10:08 AM   #11
JJR4884

Wraisal brings up a good point as well... get a nice cut of beef. It truly does make a difference.
Old 06-28-2016, 11:36 AM   #12
SamDoe1

I'm looking forward to this now...

Maybe I'll try the brisket this weekend but I'm aiming for pork shoulder and ribs.
Old 06-28-2016, 11:38 AM   #13
cowmoo32
.--. . -. .. ...

My Ride: Yukon
Or do pork. Dry rub the night before and let it sit. Wake up at the crack of dawn and put the meat in the smoker, let it chill for 14-24 hours depending on the weight, applying apple juice every few hours. Mix up a batch of vinegar based BBQ sauce, apply liberally, gorge yourself. For tailgating we would start half of a pig a full 24 hours in advance, you can't beat it.

Regardless though what you're aiming for is that pink ring in the meat like JJR posted above.

flickher

Want something 3D printed? PM me

What's this about a brownie in motion?

Last edited by cowmoo32; 06-28-2016 at 11:39 AM.
cowmoo32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 11:43 AM   #14
IdahoToyo

My Ride: 4WD Tundra / GS500F
I love cooking on my smoker A marinated Tri-tip from a local grocery store is my go to for simplicity.

I did a three-cheese Mac N Cheese back on Sunday. I use a lot of the recipes that came in the conveniently included Traeger cookbook back when I picked it up.

The difference between school and life? In school, you're taught a lesson and then given a test. In life, you're given a test that teaches you a lesson.
IdahoToyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 11:45 AM   #15
MorganFreeman

My Ride: bacon
And I was about to come in here and tell you that smoking is bad for your health...
Old 06-28-2016, 11:56 AM   #16
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
Regardless though what you're aiming for is that pink ring in the meat like JJR posted above.
According to Wraisil, you can't get it with the electric. The flavor is there though.
Old 06-28-2016, 11:59 AM   #17
217Bimmer

My Ride: Dodge Durango
Check out my thread http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1103312

I also have an a-mazing smoke maze thing, but I've been using wood chips because i haven't done anything needing a lot of smoke over hours.

I'd just start with smoking some chicken let quarters as they are cheap and don't take a lot of time. THis will let you get a feel for the smoker performance without a lot of risk.

My smoker is similar to yours and I'd say the biggest challenge is the size. Kind of wish I had a larger one as fitting a large brisket or rack of ribs will be hard.

Quote:
I always have to laugh when I see a thread described as "Not Work Safe." Is there anything on the OT forum that's really "work safe"? If I were your boss, I'd be mad if you spent any time on this forum at work at all. How is a picture of a naked girl any less work safe than, say, a picture of a matador getting gored in the *** by an angry bull? - VaderDave
217Bimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 11:59 AM   #18
GRIFFIN
NWS

My Ride: fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJR4884 View Post
Obligatory brisket pics

Attachment 635508

Attachment 635509
I want your meat in my mouth.

** Removed - Please stop - Tim330i **
*NWS GIF REMOVED*
*GIF REMOVED*
* Continuing to put animated images in your sig will get you banned - Tim330i *
**You make me so horny.- Tim330i **
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedges View Post
I can honestly say that because of Griffin, i am desensitized to alot of wierd stuff!
GRIFFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 12:06 PM   #19
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
Check out my thread http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1103312

I also have an a-mazing smoke maze thing, but I've been using wood chips because i haven't done anything needing a lot of smoke over hours.

I'd just start with smoking some chicken let quarters as they are cheap and don't take a lot of time. THis will let you get a feel for the smoker performance without a lot of risk.

My smoker is similar to yours and I'd say the biggest challenge is the size. Kind of wish I had a larger one as fitting a large brisket or rack of ribs will be hard.
Damn I didn't even search for it. Sorry! Since that's the official thread, I'll start posting over there.

It should be moved to general OT though, no one pays any attention to the sub forums.

I'll probably get the pellet tray eventually but want to just use the smoker itself for now. Probably going to plumb in a chimney from the garage to outside so I don't smoke out the place when I run it.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 06-28-2016 at 12:11 PM.
Old 06-28-2016, 12:20 PM   #20
JJR4884

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1467134419.953330.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	336.6 KB
ID:	635522

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1467134451.400318.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	318.5 KB
ID:	635523

More pics... "reverse" sear porterhouse. Awesome method on getting that smoke flavor into a nice steak rather than just cooking over charcoal. Get a good sized piece of a fatty cut, smoke for about an hour (until the internal temp hits 115)... take it off, dry it, salt it, then finish it on a hot grill until med-rare.

Ribeyes, NY Strips, Porterhouses, anything with a bone.... comes out amazing. Do not ruin a filet with this method, its far too delicate of a steak to withstand the smoke flavor.

Last edited by JJR4884; 06-28-2016 at 12:23 PM.
JJR4884 is offline   Reply With Quote