E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-21-2017, 01:03 AM   #1
E30toF30

My Ride: F10 528i, E46M3
Does This Bother Anyone Else in Any Way?

When the parcel being shipped to you says this:

But the vendor charges you this...

Now I can understand that it's pretty normal if shipping came out to $7 and the vendor rounds up to $10 or something like that. But to change essentially 2.5x what actual shipping cost was is a bit extreme. In this case, it's not a ton dollar wise so in most cases I'd just be a tad annoyed, shrug it off and move on.

But what bothers me even more is that when I called in to provide my credit card info on the phone, I asked for a confirmation of what the total amount being charged to my card was. I was previously told in an email that it may be "around $18" for shipping due to the weight so I wanted to confirm the exact amount they were charging me. Was it going to be the $18? Pretty normal question considering any normal person would want to know what the price is before making payment. Vendor then proceeded to tell me that he doesn't know the exact amount because he was going to charge me whatever the shipping actually ended up costing. Fair enough, but I did mention that hopefully it's not going to run super high or anything.

Anyway, I guess it's the fact I was told I am going to be charged exactly what shipping is going to be, and then later getting charged 2.5x the shipping cost is what's extremely annoying.

2.5x actual cost is pretty savage. I had a huge box with a sunroof plug/insert shipped for only $40 the other day.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Last edited by E30toF30; 02-21-2017 at 11:28 AM.
E30toF30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 08:45 AM   #2
Alan

My Ride: 2006 M3
You may want to resize your photos so people have some idea of what you are referring to.

Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 09:19 AM   #3
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Yes, it bothers me when I see pics on a forum that aren't resized.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:21 AM   #4
E30toF30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
You may want to resize your photos so people have some idea of what you are referring to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by choxor View Post
Yes, it bothers me when I see pics on a forum that aren't resized.
Sorry guys...I didnt realize they were so big.
I started the thread on my phone and just took the pictures with the phone as I was writing it.

Adjusted!
Old 02-21-2017, 11:25 AM   #5
delgadilloalex

My Ride: 2001 325Ci
Shipping 7.15, handling could be for gas to drop it off at usps plus foam and wrap materials.

Sent from my SM-N900T using E46Fanatics mobile app
delgadilloalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 11:43 AM   #6
E30toF30

Quote:
Originally Posted by delgadilloalex View Post
Shipping 7.15, handling could be for gas to drop it off at usps plus foam and wrap materials.

Sent from my SM-N900T using E46Fanatics mobile app

Hmm...I guess thats definitely something to consider. And the box probably cost a few bucks too. I guess I'm just used to charging what shipping costs with things I sell online, even it it requires me to take some time to handle/prep the package.

But I guess this makes a bit more sense if the vendor quoted me a significantly higher price estimate for shipping than what he probably knew the shipping portion cost just to compensate for the handling side.

On a side, the items I bought were small, about 4"x6" or so and wrapped in packing tape. A 15 second packing job lol. How much timr/gas to being it to the post office, that I don't know.

Last edited by E30toF30; 02-21-2017 at 12:16 PM.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:55 AM   #7
Chibo

My Ride: Nothing
Yes, that would irritate me.

Then again, I just ate $152 in shipping charges because I bought an item that wasn't as described from a member here, but made the mistake of gifting the initial payment since he is a well known member so I had to play ball instead of disputing.
I won't be making that mistake again, **** made me sick.
2007 Aprilia Tuono 1000 (Street/Track)

Last edited by Chibo; 02-21-2017 at 11:59 AM.
Chibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 12:16 PM   #8
M3Inline6
aka...Dark Snow

My Ride: '17 Nardo Grey M4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chibo View Post
Yes, that would irritate me.

Then again, I just ate $152 in shipping charges because I bought an item that wasn't as described from a member here, but made the mistake of gifting the initial payment since he is a well known member so I had to play ball instead of disputing.
I won't be making that mistake again, **** made me sick.
P/M me.
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 12:29 PM   #9
MP0WER

My Ride: is fun to drive
Not even a little bit.

I agree to the shipping charges by agreeing to pay the invoice prior to shipping. If they can buy down the cost of shipping to make more profit, more power to them. Every business functions on the same concept every day.

But if i were told one price and charged another, yes, it would bother me.

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat

Last edited by MP0WER; 02-21-2017 at 12:30 PM.
MP0WER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 12:30 PM   #10
MorganFreeman

My Ride: bacon
OP, You would've done the same thing if you were a seller to make some kind of profit.

You already paid for it so move on. Don't order from them again. That's about all that you can do.
Old 02-21-2017, 12:42 PM   #11
Bsaint

My Ride: LSX M3, Audi, VW ...
No it doesn't bother me because even though the "shipping charge" was only $7.15 that usually doesn't include materials, packing, etc.

Also you agreed to the charge before hand, so just because it ended up being less doesn't mean anything.

If you buy an item at a store that's $100 but in reality it only cost $40 to make, do you complain that it only cost $40 to make too?

It's the costs of doing business.
Bsaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 12:50 PM   #12
clk500

My Ride: 2010 Acura TSX
Think of the total cost of order. Sometimes people reduce cost of item but increase shipping fees to allure buyers. I.e on ebay some sell items for 1.99 but charge 5 bucks for shipping. Just think of it as it cost 7 bucks. Was your order worth 68 bucks? Most sellers hide shipping fees because buyers like you lol

Sent from my SM-N9005 using E46Fanatics mobile app
Old 02-21-2017, 02:05 PM   #13
boostedisbetter

My Ride: NiNe tHoUsAnD!!!
Handling. /thread
Old 02-21-2017, 02:58 PM   #14
SPDSKTR

My Ride: E46 ZHP TS2+ Coupe
What did you buy from Gardendale, AL? That place is a hell hole.
SPDSKTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 02:59 PM   #15
E30toF30

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I just wanted to get a sense as to how other guys felt about it. Thats all. And clearly there are some differing views which is expected I guess.

I was provided a high "estimate" on what shipping would be (and was OK with that) but then told I would be charged what the actual shipping cost comes out to. So yes even though I was OK with the higher $18 estimate, thats not what was promised. I was never provided an invoice ahead of the purchase. I was just told to call and give a credit card number for payment. I didnt see an invoice until I opened up the package and there was one inside the box.

Ultimately its not a large sum of money so I'm not pursuing anything. Just leaving it as is.

Last edited by E30toF30; 02-21-2017 at 03:05 PM.
Old 02-21-2017, 02:59 PM   #16
E30toF30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDSKTR View Post
What did you buy from Gardendale, AL? That place is a hell hole.
haha...I have no idea where that is tbh.
I'm not looking to out a vendor. Just wanted to get some input from others.

Last edited by E30toF30; 02-21-2017 at 03:00 PM.
Old 02-21-2017, 03:02 PM   #17
E30toF30

Quote:
Originally Posted by clk500 View Post
Think of the total cost of order. Sometimes people reduce cost of item but increase shipping fees to allure buyers. I.e on ebay some sell items for 1.99 but charge 5 bucks for shipping. Just think of it as it cost 7 bucks. Was your order worth 68 bucks? Most sellers hide shipping fees because buyers like you lol

I'm pretty sure Ebay sellers that do this are doing it for the sole purpose of keeping their listing fees at a minimum because they don't have to pay fees on shipping costs.
This is not the same.

Last edited by E30toF30; 02-21-2017 at 03:03 PM.
Old 02-21-2017, 03:33 PM   #18
clk500

My Ride: 2010 Acura TSX
Actually you do have to pay ebay fees on shipping on ebay. Sellers do it to get clicks when buyers see the low product price. I see what you saying. Maybe you should finalized the costs then pay it next time you buy. Idk

Old 02-21-2017, 03:41 PM   #19
E30toF30

Quote:
Originally Posted by clk500 View Post
Actually you do have to pay ebay fees on shipping on ebay. Sellers do it to get clicks when buyers see the low product price. I see what you saying. Maybe you should finalized the costs then pay it next time you buy. Idk

Really? I don't remember that being the case when I used to sell a ton on ebay. But I havn't sold anything on ebay in 10 years so things change all the time.

Yeah I tried to confirm the final price. I specifically asked him how much is he going to charge my card and he said he had to finalize it because he was unsure of the shipping price but would charge me whatever that came out to.

Again, its not as much about the fact he charged me more than the actual shipping cost. Like I said in my my original post, its not a large $ value so I would typically shrug it off. But its the fact they told me they would be charging me the actual shipping cost but then charged 2.5x more than that.
Old 02-21-2017, 03:45 PM   #20
SPDSKTR

My Ride: E46 ZHP TS2+ Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by E30toF30 View Post
haha...I have no idea where that is tbh.
I'm not looking to out a vendor. Just wanted to get some input from others.
I didn't ask, "Who did you buy it from so I can go hunt him down and deal out some E46FOT justice by buying him a beer?" I asked what it was you purchased. Was it meth? It was probably meth.

Case closed. OP needs some dirty Alabama meth to keep him going.
SPDSKTR is offline   Reply With Quote