E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:40 AM   #961
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
Yeah, I start work next month to decide whether or not I actually enjoy construction/engineering and if not, I'll be applying in the fall. Berkeley is the mecca of physics; I would be floored if I actually get in.

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?

Last edited by cowmoo32; 02-08-2011 at 10:42 AM.
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:54 AM   #962
k2pilot

My Ride: Z4MC & B8 S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
Yeah, I start work next month to decide whether or not I actually enjoy construction/engineering and if not, I'll be applying in the fall. Berkeley is the mecca of physics; I would be floored if I actually get in.
Wait what engineering degree do you have? I've been considering starting another business making factory assembled modern steel and glass homes. I've got the architectural side of things down, but i still need an engineer to sign off my work, and i'm not sure what being an civil/architectural engineer entails.

Something like this,

That's a house by a favorite architect of mine, Tom Kundig. But it would also be a self sustaining home(it's own power sources and battery systems) along with smart programming for efficient home HVAC. And then making it cost effective. I think it would be a revolutionary new means of home development.

Also i'm not sure if it's different for grad school, but berkeley admits once a year in november, only for the fall semester.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:08 AM   #963
cowmoo32
drunken science

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2pilot View Post
Wait what engineering degree do you have? I've been considering starting another business making factory assembled modern steel and glass homes. I've got the architectural side of things down, but i still need an engineer to sign off my work, and i'm not sure what being an civil/architectural engineer entails.

Something like this,

That's a house by a favorite architect of mine, Tom Kundig. But it would also be a self sustaining home(it's own power sources and battery systems) along with smart programming for efficient home HVAC. And then making it cost effective. I think it would be a revolutionary new means of home development.

Also i'm not sure if it's different for grad school, but berkeley admits once a year in november, only for the fall semester.
My degree is construction engineering. The best description is civil with a focus on construction. I actually started in architecture but it was too abstract, so I went with engineering, now I want something more abstract, just not as abstract as pure design. As it stands right now, I can't sign off on plans because I'm not a licensed engineer. I passed the FE exam, and in order to become licensed, I would have to work under a licensed engineer for 5 years and then take the PE exam.

I like the idea, but the economic viability of a factory-built house will all sorts of technology is questionable. Obviously, schools are pushing green tech, and we spent a decent amount of time in my senior project class talking about sustainability. Once you get into better insulating materials and heat sinks/reservoirs to maintain temps in the house, the cost per square foot skyrockets, and that doesn't even take into account the type of automation you're talking about. This is a special case, but in that class we bid a TINY greenhouse that was LEED certified that had all sorts of controls to maintain temp/humidity and the controls alone were $350k. I would think the profit margins would be pretty slim in order to make a house like that attractive to buyers.

I'm actually considering another bachelors and then going to grad school. I've looked into it, and I need to take the GRE specific to physics in order to apply to grad school and the reality of it is, if I don't want to fail the test, I need the classes that come in undergrad. I have most of the math and a few of the basic mechanics/physics courses, so I figure with summer school, I could knock it out in 2.5-3 years and go from there.

flickher

Last edited by cowmoo32; 02-08-2011 at 11:10 AM.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:54 AM   #964
Sam 330ci

My Ride: 03 530i
Send a message via AIM to Sam 330ci

Preparing for the Queens arrival:

Old 02-08-2011, 12:12 PM   #965
k2pilot

My Ride: Z4MC & B8 S4
Quote:
My degree is construction engineering. The best description is civil with a focus on construction. I actually started in architecture but it was too abstract, so I went with engineering, now I want something more abstract, just not as abstract as pure design. As it stands right now, I can't sign off on plans because I'm not a licensed engineer. I passed the FE exam, and in order to become licensed, I would have to work under a licensed engineer for 5 years and then take the PE exam.

I like the idea, but the economic viability of a factory-built house will all sorts of technology is questionable. Obviously, schools are pushing green tech, and we spent a decent amount of time in my senior project class talking about sustainability. Once you get into better insulating materials and heat sinks/reservoirs to maintain temps in the house, the cost per square foot skyrockets, and that doesn't even take into account the type of automation you're talking about. This is a special case, but in that class we bid a TINY greenhouse that was LEED certified that had all sorts of controls to maintain temp/humidity and the controls alone were $350k. I would think the profit margins would be pretty slim in order to make a house like that attractive to buyers.

I'm actually considering another bachelors and then going to grad school. I've looked into it, and I need to take the GRE specific to physics in order to apply to grad school and the reality of it is, if I don't want to fail the test, I need the classes that come in undergrad. I have most of the math and a few of the basic mechanics/physics courses, so I figure with summer school, I could knock it out in 2.5-3 years and go from there.
I know what you mean about the courses being too abstract.. i started out as an industrial design major(where i got the interest in architecture), and then on the engineering side of things there's little creativity. But that's where the opportunity is, having people being all engineer or all abstract, they don't understand the full spectrum, and that's where being well rounded and able to integrate different concepts into a product brings success. You mention the control systems for these being costly, but that's just another opportunity to make money. The kind of system you'd need to maintain temperature in one of these houses is very simply and could be made in house for cheap, some temp probes inside and out each window, a wind speed and direction indicator tied into the computer, and some simple motors rigged up to each window, if you developed something like that in house it would be very, very cost effective, hell, you could even write an app for an ipad to talk to your house.

You can get a wind turbine like the skystream 600 for probably around 10-12k, and realistically probably put out a couple of KW's, combine that with one of the hybrid solar water and electric systems and you've got most all your bases covered, and a big battery bank also really isn't all that costly, so with an already efficient home you'll have substantial energy surplus in your battery banks for if things go cloudy and windless for a while.

i think a good goal would be 1500-2000 sq-ft for between 100-200k, That could get all your bases covered, water, electrical and hvac. Then adding extra square footage or buildings would be as simple as just attaching them.

People love optimization and being able to buy goodies or upgrades for things.. just look at how people get the "Mod Bug" for cars, you could have a similar occurrence for a home, people wanting to buy an underground hydronic cooling/heating system, add on modules for their homes(so you could literally just bolt on another room or loft). An interface providing water and electricity to accessory modules also wouldn't be a difficult task, and it would make things very plug and play. Consolidating and fabrication, it can happen.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:22 AM   #966
Darkside213

My Ride: 04 TSX daily, 01 M3
That's a nice looking house.
Darkside213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 04:35 AM   #967
Goughie

My Ride: 330d Sport Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2pilot View Post
Something like this,

Nice. You need to check out HUF houses - very similar, German designed and built houses - very pimp!

"The protection of views purely on religious grounds cannot be justified. It is not only an irrational idea, but it is also divisive, capricious and arbitrary" - Lord Justice Laws, UK 29/04/2010
Goughie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:50 AM   #968
masterx

My Ride: 320CD

Amsterdam Kalverstraat
masterx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:00 AM   #969
cowmoo32
drunken science

^ looks familiar. I loved Amsterdam, will definitely be back there one day

flickher

Old 02-09-2011, 09:39 AM   #970
masterx

Old 02-09-2011, 09:43 AM   #971
cowmoo32
drunken science

Fvck I want to go back!!!

flickher

Old 02-09-2011, 10:33 AM   #972
masterx

Quote:
Fvck I want to go back!!!
Your welcome

Old 02-10-2011, 08:49 PM   #973
cowmoo32
drunken science

Bday gift from the parents

flickher

Old 02-11-2011, 10:46 AM   #974
howie

My Ride: CLK55 AMG, E90 335i
Send a message via AIM to howie Send a message via Yahoo to howie

Doin work
howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 01:34 PM   #975
masterx

BacardiCola. Always a good combo
Old 02-14-2011, 09:08 PM   #976
howie

Not sure if LEON is on the forums but hes got one super clean m3 (disregarding the LEON badge on the trunk lol)
Old 02-15-2011, 07:50 PM   #977
cowmoo32
drunken science

It knows no limit

flickher

Old 02-15-2011, 08:53 PM   #978
Andy2108

My Ride: E46 M3, '67 Cobra
How to park with one wheel almost not touching the ground.

(I've got stock suspention snow tires, and stock bumper. No harmm was done)

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Bimmerapp

De gustibus non est disputandum.
Andy2108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:05 PM   #979
spencers

My Ride: 2006 330i sport
Quote:
Setting up some indoor golf at my friend's place. Projector is going on the ceiling and we're hitting into the canvas
You held the green down with dildos? I would have at least found some rocks outside
Old 02-23-2011, 02:32 PM   #980
howie

Burnin gas...